Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sony Computer Entertainment Playstation 3 12GB System
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Platform: PS3 12GB System|Edition: New|Change

on August 22, 2013
Just got my 12GB slim and before firing it up I was going to put in my 500GB HDD. Please note the following:

* There is no physical 2.5" SATA drive installed.
* There is no HDD mounting bracket, that is a separate purchase of which the only one I could find available on Amazon is this:

TOMTOP Mounting Bracket System CECH 400x

So another $15 unless you can find the $10 Sony branded kit.

I guess the problem was me assuming it had a 12GB 2.5" SSD, where in actuality it is flash memory embedded on the board. I have the drive in there and rigged up so its not going anywhere, but it's just unfortunate this was not well documented. Maybe it was and I missed it.
3535 comments|313 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 29, 2014
I do not know why, but my grandson game me this as a gift.

I can tell I bought the last of us and ohhh lord why didnt this existed on 1960!!!

This is full of fun and action, I like PS3
11 comment|95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 6, 2013
Prior to Walmarts Thanksgiving day sale this year, I was eyeballing their 12gb PS3 Slim which was selling for $199.00 and their 250gb PS3 bundle that came with a free game which was selling for $249.00 ( a $50.00 dollar difference ). It wasn't until I started reading reviews about the 12gb model that I found out that it doesn't come with the Hard Disc Drive ( HDD ) caddy ( bracket ) that is needed when you decide to go from only relying upon the 12gb PS3's internal memory and want additional storage space, and that the 12gb versions internal memory won't support some PS3 games because they require too much storage space. Luckily, I was smart enough to put off my purchase until the Thanksgiving day sale to see if Walmart were going to be offering any PS3 console deals and was able to pick up a 250gb console bundle, including 2 free games ( Batman : Arkham Origins & The Last of Us ~ $120.00 value ), for the same $199.00 dollar price that Walmart ordinarily sells the 12gb console for. Sorry ... I digress. Just spend the extra $50.00 dollars, buy a 250gb console, and save yourself the headache of eventually having to go out and buy the extra's for your 12gb console ... You'll be glad you did.

By the way, I think it's rather shady on Sony's part for not making it loud and clear that the 12gb PS3 Super Slim doesn't come with the HDD caddy that's going to be needed when you're ready to install a hard drive. Shame, Sony, shame.
1010 comments|211 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2013
For serious gaming, a hard drive in addition to the 12GB of memory may be needed as most PS3 games require an install, the side ranging from only megabytes of data up to 10 GB of data. The hard drive is easy to upgrade, although you will need to purchase a mounting bracket for the hard drive (which is not included) (games like Call of Duty or Uncharted won't suffer from this because they don't require installs on disk beyond 100 MB, but Grand Theft Auto 5 has at least an 8 GB install that would easy be two thirds of the available space, and do not forget software updates that can easily be 1 GB in size).

The console makes it easy to set up a PSN account as well as set up Netflix and other streaming services. The top mounting disk tray is particularly interesting: instead of opening vertically, the disk tray opens horizontally which allows it to be placed in a snug location. Supporting CD, DVD, BluRay, DIVX, and MP3/MP4 formats (and others), this console can do quite a bit in terms of music and video playback. It supports external memory for console backup as well as for data transfer (save data, movies, etc. via USB). It has either wired or wireless internet via wifi as well.

It does not come with an HDMI cable, that will also have to be purchased separately.

This is a nice entry point for someone wants a PS3 at the end of its hay day, or if they want a second console or just a media center to stream content from their PC or to watch Netflix, Hulu Plus, or use other services such as those offered by the NHL. PlayStation Store also serves up movies and TV shows for either rent or purchase.
on January 23, 2016
This is my second PS3...I love the system. I also ordered a mounting bracket and a 500GB hard-drive at the same time ($32 on Amazon). When they both arrived (and before I even used the PS3), I simply attached the hard-drive to the bracket (takes 5 minutes), inserted it into the PS3, and I instantly had a 500GB PS3 system. Really sweet deal. Personally, I wouldn’t pay a premium for a 250GB or 500GB system when you can do it yourself with ease. After you plug it into the system, turn the PS3 on and it properly formats the hard drive for you. If you have any reservations about doing this, there are tons of YouTube videos about this. It also does far more than gaming. The PS3 is an outstanding Blu-ray player. Also, watching Netflix, Amazon, and YouTube is easy. Now my son and I play games against each other on different TVs; really a lot of fun. One note is that you will probably want to get a PS3 remote control to go with it (and they’re not real cheap anymore). The game joystick that comes with the system will function as a remote control, but it’s a bit wonky for this purpose. Also, I understand that the PS3 uses a decent amount of electricity so you probably want to turn it off when not in use.
on June 22, 2015
Great system with a huge game library. I bought this as a replacement system for my old fat PS3. It's obviously a lot smaller and it's a lot quieter! For those complaining about the disc noise, yes you can hear the disc drive if you listen well enough. But it's a thousand times quieter than my old fat which sounded like a jet preparing for take off.

If you're transferring your hard drive over don't forget to buy the bracket as the 12 GB system does not come with one. I bought this bracket to transfer my 1 TB drive. Worked well enough:

on July 25, 2014
I bought this for my son. He informed me that after he downloaded all the updates it didn't have enough memory left to play a game. Thought I was being a good dad but I came off as cheap for not buying the one with more memory.
44 comments|45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 1, 2016
I purchased this as a replacement for a first-gen PS3 that was damaged by a repair service. I miss having the backwards compatibility with PS1 and PS2 games, but this console doesn't get nearly as hot or as loud as the original, so it should keep gaming for years to come.
on April 28, 2016
I was a bit skeptical when I purchase this new 12GB super slim PS3 system as I haven't tried upgraded HDD from my own experience before. As I look into youtube how to upgrade HDD from this system, it's not as hard as that it. All I need is a "mount drive'" + 2.5" SATA HDD to install them. I use Western Digital 500GB 2.5" 5400RPM 9.5mm though in this case. It took me around 15 minutes to get the job done. Now, the flash memory inside the PS3 system will recognize the HDD install; then it begins to do "copying & rebuilding the HDD" that will take around 20-23 minutes to finish everything. That's it. after that, you just sign up for PSN, update its latest system setting version 4.80, connect the online setting, etc.
on December 31, 2013
This was actually my 3rd PS3 I have bought. The first one my son broke when he was young and the 2nd is still going strong. I just wanted an extra system to use as a blu ray player, watch netflix and play an occasional game in another room. That being said I have always been a playstation fan until this 12GB system. When I first got it the controller did not work which luckily I had another system and used a controller for that. The system worked for a day then wouldn't turn on again. I contacted sony who sent a box to send it to get fixed. So after receiving it back the controller still did not work at all. Wouldn't charge wouldn't do anything. Turned on the system and at least this time it turned on but it would not stay connected. Contacted sony at first about the controller and they wanted me to ship it in when I asked them to send me something to ship it in they refused, and after finding out the system had issues still returned to amazon. Luckily amazon's return policy was great since it had been 4 weeks at this point between shipping it to get fixed and getting it back.

The system itself just looks cheaply built when compared to other ps3's. The disc goes in on the top as it slides from right to left and it is very loud when starting up and running (heard this from other reviews and the one time my system did work this held true). Overall I wasn't happy with sony's customer service either they didn't really seem to care whether it was fixed the first time or if I sent it back in etc. I still love my other ps3 but stay far away from this model.