Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX100V 16.2 MP Exmor R CMOS Digital Still Camera with Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar 30x Optical Zoom Lens and Full HD 1080 Video
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Showing 1-10 of 23 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on May 29, 2011
I would give this 4 1/2 stars as no camera is perfect. The 1080p/60p footage is some of the best I have seen in a compact camera like this and even better than some camcorders. Does very well shooting in low light and
the image stabilization is among some of the best I have seen in a Camera at this price. Menu is very easy to use and you can navigate through it with ease.

Pros:
Great in lowlight
Great Still shots
1080p/60p is sure sweet in a camera at this price.
Still shots are very good.
Price, you can find them for under $400
Zoom is pretty amazing
Length of video doesn't seem to be a problem
Nice Bright LCD and Electronic view finder on those bright days.

Cons:
Auto Focusing can be an issue in very dark scenes
Manual Focusing should work in every mode.
LCD would be nice if you could flip it to the side and or close it off.

For the Money it is really hard to complain about it's faults as I have seen people comparing this unit to
very expensive camcorders.

Enjoy!!!
44 comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 28, 2011
bought p500 and canon sx30is at the same time i compared both and i took the p500 back, the battery life was too short and the pictures wasn't as good as the canon,3 other people told me the same. i also didn't like the way the p 500 would focus when u zoomed all the way out it bounced all around. took p500 back and bought sony hx100v to compare to the canon, they are close, the pictures from the canon were not as crisp, with purple fringing on photos and the lcd screen is not nearly as nice as the sony. i liked the color on the canon photos in auto mode a little better,the sony is a little red, but if you go into a different mode you can change the setting to real. i took hundreds of photos with all three of these cameras and my scores for each are: sony 90 out of 100 canon sx30 is 84 out of 100 (didn't like lcd) nikon p500 75 out of 100 . sony wins out because of lcd and picture crispness.
on July 12, 2011
Pros: 30X Zoom
shoot Panorama
3D is a plus
Focus is very good
Manual Focus Ring
10 FPS Burst
Best HD Movie Cam
Battery. Shot over 1000 pictures, still have battery

Cons: Processing Times. You need to wait after each picture taken.
*Definitely a big problem, Sony need to come out with a Firmware to Fix this ASAP
No Macro Button, very Strange
55 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 28, 2011
I really like this camera. I did have to return the first one due to a over exposure problem but with Amazon it was painless. Having said that I must say for a point and shoot with an almost ridiculous focal length it is excellent. The hand held shots are amazing considering that the optical zoom extends to 30x and 122x with digital. My shaky old hand can even get a shot without blur. The menus almost do too much and are a bit overwhelming at first it really is not bad considering the quality at high ISO and the lack of CA at the extremes the lens shoots at. If you want to see the difference in image quality at cameralabs.com where you can compare it against other super zooms. I wish it would shoot in raw but it is after all a point and shoot not a DSLR and anyone who tries to compare it to one is being ridiculous. You can set several custom profiles and return to them with a few presses of the buttons. The video is really amazing and the focus tracks well in good light. In poor light it does hunt a bit and that is the only reason I gave it 4 not five stars. You can try to nit pick it to death but over all it is a fine camera as long as you take the time to learn how to use it. See the images I included that are hand held shot is a dark room with the flash and zoomed to 30x and one outside zoomed to 122x with the digital zoom. Also hand held. They are a testament to the anti-shake lens.
review image review image review image
on October 23, 2011
I picked this up to use when I don't want to carry around my DSLR. I have had this camera for about a month now, here are my initial impressions.

The Good:
Power up time
Focus time
Various shooting modes, including HDR and handheld night
Picture quality and color is very good
Display is excellent and turns off when you look through the EVF
Battery life

The Not So Good:
No external battery charger, but I knew that when I bought it
Pictures can get a bit noisy at times, low light
Lens cap, but I think I'm getting use to that

Overall an excellent camera that I am having a lot of fun with!
review image review image review image
on June 24, 2012
This is a very good camera for the price. It is very feature laden with good manual controls, but can be as simple as a point and shoot. Overall, the picture quality is very good and photos can be enlarged to 8x10 inch. However, if you want to work with the photos at a pixel level, step up to a DSLR.

The video quality is very good, but the processing of the videos can be time consuming. Also step up to a large Class 10 SDHC card for video.
on September 20, 2011
The camera is very nice. A little on the heavy side. I have owned many mega-zoom before and this is the biggest and heaviest(also has the most zoom of course). The video button is very slow to start if you are in photo mode. 5 seconds. Almost unusable in a sporting event. I almost have to return the camera because of this. But it is much better if you switch it to video mode first... then may be a one second delay. It is not the best but at least usable. The video quality is fantastic. The Superior Auto Mode takes good pictures but it's very slow. It takes a few seconds before the camera is ready to shoot again. It is not for sporting events. The regular Auto Mode is much faster.

I hope they can fix the video button delay in photo mode. It is a bit of an effort to have to switch it to video mode first.

A hot shoe for flash will make this camera more complete. I got this slave flash to compensate Neewer Digital Slave Flash + Bracket Set for Digital SLR DSLR Cameras or any Digital Camera!. Not bad for the price.

Updates:
I sold the camera and bought the Panasonic DMC-FZ150K. I love it! Less zoom, less pixels, less GPS, less Panorama mode shots but it is much much faster. Video mode is almost instantaneous. 12 shots burst mode. 5 shots burst with flash! Bye bye Sony.
44 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 25, 2011
Geez, Sony!!! You make a great camera and don't help the person taking photos how to work with it and make their experience better.

There are SO MANY options and features, Sony just doesn't tell you how to use them. Their manual is on-line only (except for the in-camera manual..ha). On top of that, you can't even download it into a PDF or printable object. You find the feature you want, then have to print that page only. That's lousy.

I've had a Sony H5 for the past five years and loved it. I only upgraded to get HD video and better burst mode, better everything. Don't get me wrong. I love the camera. It's just that some features are there...in the camera. But when I want to find out more about it, the manual just tells you how to find it in the camera. Not what it will do for you.

For example, using the new Intelligent mode, it shows an icon when Macro is being used. Now try finding anything in their manual abut Macro.....none....zero....nothing! That's amazing.

So I am not mocking the camera. It's really cool. But don't expect much help from Sony and their manual. I happen to be one of those people that every so often, I looked in my H5 manual to see more options when I have an unusual photo op. Maybe I'll get used to it. I will eventually get to know the features by trial and error, I guess.

There are hundreds of positives. One of the few negatives: No ability to add a filter over lens, because they didn't put screwable mount on front. Visible features display is a bit much....too many icons. HD movies are cool, but you need to use Sony software (provided) to get them out of the camera onto your pc so you can convert to WMV or whatever else. I ended up going for the MP4 mode so I can copy directly into my Cyberlink Power Director software. It's still HD and nice. Also you can shoot a photo while video making....can't do that with my H5.

Overall, I would recommend this camera. It's loaded with features....just be ready to figure things out on your own.
55 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 28, 2011
I have been using Nikon professional DLSRs since the D1x hit the market. Typically I shoot with the 200-400vr or the 500AFS. I also spend some time kayaking and got tired of dealing with the excess weight and bulk in the little boat. I didn't expect this camera to compare, but it is better than my expectations.

On the plus side;
The camera is comfortable in my hands.
The battery life combined with an 8 gig card provides a good amount of shooting.
The images are sharp [the image stabilization works] and the color is good.
The exposure is good, and in tough lighting the HDR feature saves the day.
High speed shooting is HIGH SPEED.
I have made usable prints up to 8 x 10.

The negative;
The auto focus does not work well in low light.
Manual focus is slow because of the amount of rotation needed.
JPEG only file format limits post processing.

I have not tried all the features. But, the panoramic works and only took a couple of tries to find the right pan speed for best results. Somebody else will have to talk about 3d and video.

I would recommend this camera.
on September 21, 2011
Impressive camera with lots of capabilities. Problem with camera is the electronic view finder is too small for me to compose my pictures. I have also experienced about 70 percent of the pictures are dark but editable. It's as though they are 1/2 f-stop underexposed. I would recommend this for purchase but it has not satisfied my needs and requires too much editing to correct the dark pictures.