4.0 out of 5 stars Good-Looking Camera
Opinions:
---------
I bought this camera because I wanted a low profile, a slim and sleek camera, while having good picture quality.

Published on April 21, 2011 by Berry Flavor

3.0 out of 5 stars Was expecting more upgrading from TX9
Published on April 25, 2011 by B. Hayes

4.0 out of 5 stars Good-Looking Camera, April 21, 2011
Opinions:
---------

My first opinion when holding this camera is that it is light-weight. I thought it would have a nice weight to it, like an iPhone. I can't complain, because this is probably better especially when you want to carry it in your shirt pocket and you won't look like a fool.

The sliding mechanism that covers the lens is actually a thin sheet of metal coated with your favorite camera color. I think this gives it a cheap feel, but probably contributes to its lightweight.

The OLED display is respectable. The pixel density is not like the latest DSLR camera display, the pixels are identifiable but still a good display.

I use a Transcend 16 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card TS16GSDHC10E with this camera. Under maximum picture quality and size settings, it estimates about nearly 2800 possible pictures that can be taken (from when it was formatted). This is an estimate, usually it's more based on my experience with other cameras (the estimate adjusts as the card fills up). Picture sizes vary between 2MB to 6MB (16MP size; 4608x3456), excluding some outliers.

HD video is very good. the files are AVCHD videos, in *.m2ts files, the frame rate is smooth, and you can zoom in and out (4x optical, I disable digital zoom) while recording. One quirk about the video recording feature is that when I switch it to video mode, it automatically starts recording. And to stop recording and record again, I need touch the record-button on the screen rather than the dedicated capture button. It is possible to record in MPEG file format for compatibility, but it won't be in the highest-quality than what this camera was designed for. With this camera, you can take pictures while recording a movie, except in the highest video-quality (60p?) mode.

Taking the pictures in ideal conditions (daylight, minimal clouds), the pictures are good, but it has hardware limitations. The CMOS sensor may be "EXMOR R" (whatever advertised connotation that may be), but 16.2 megapixels on such a small sensor leaves blurry image details when viewing at 1:1 ratio. But 16MP gives you more freedom to re-size and crop your images.

The camera uses the Sony NPBN1 Rechargeable Lithium Ion Type N Battery Pack. But having such a large display (3.5 inch) and capturing HD videos and large images takes a toll on the battery life.

This camera is compatible with SD card (SDHC, SDXC) in addition to Memory Stick. 5+ years ago, I used to own 2 Sony cameras, but I switched to Canon. I did it solely because Sony only prefers Memory Stick (little competition on speed, pricing, compatibility). I'm giving Sony a chance to redeem themselves.

The 3D images are a gimmick. The image quality is reduced (and jagged) and it requires special software to view it. The included software can view it and you can connect it to a Playstation 3 to view it as well. The file format is in *.modd, and currently has limited usage outside of Sony.

The panoramic image feature is OK. It takes images in a long burst (10 images) and compiles them into a single large image, but it is jagged (like the 3D images) where the images are combined.

I picked this camera mainly because of its physical design, as well as the specs (large display, SD compatibility, HD video recording, and good auto-mode). I knew the camera has hardware limitations (Comes with all point-and-shoot. I'm spoiled by the DSLR image-quality), but I don't intend to carry a large camera (like DSLR) to parties or clubs. I want something that fits in my pocket.

This camera is targeted at non-professionals who want to take good pictures that ultimately end up on their social-networking sites. This camera is intended for people who use the auto-mode that instantaneously detects and adjusts to the most appropriate settings to take great pictures. This camera does a great job, especially in low-light conditions, such as night events.

Suggestions:
------------
Turn off GPS geotagging for privacy.

When sliding the lens-cover open and during normal operation, it's easy to touch the lens with your finger. Cloth, including microfiber, does little to remove oil and usually smears more oil onto the lens. I actually use a "lens pen" to clean it. One end has a soft brush (lens safe) and the other end has a carbon powdered-tip. Carbon is good at removing oil and you can brush off any dust after. The cap that covers the carbon-tipped end has more carbon, so you can put the cap back on, and twist it a few times to get more.

4.0 out of 5 stars HD Video Review (comparison with the TX7), May 2, 2011
I anticipated the release and ordered the TX100v to upgrade from the TX7. I mainly use these cameras for videography projects so I will be focusing this review on the HD video. The TX100v has slightly better video quality and better white balance than the TX7. The TX100v image stabilization is not so good and constantly changes focus causing the subjects to appear a little blurry in situations where you have to constantly move the camera to follow your subject. The image stabilization on the TX7 is much better and doesn't constantly go out of focus. The TX100v has slightly better low light performance. The TX100v doesn't wash out the subjects in bright sunlight and handles back light situations well. The TX7 washes out certain subjects in bright sunlight and handles the back light well in some situations and not so well in others but still ok. The TX100v takes a few seconds to start up from the time you turn on the camera and takes a few seconds for the video to start recording after touching the record icon. The TX7 takes 1 second to turn on and video recording starts instantly when the shutter is pressed or when the record icon is touched. You can only start recording by touching the record icon on the TX100v and stop recording by touching the record icon again or by closing the cover. On the TX7 you can start recording by pressing the shutter and touching the record icon and stop recording by pressing the shutter, touching the record icon again or by closing the cover. The TX100v zooms slightly slower than the TX7. Both cameras can record continuously for up to 29 minutes but splits the video files if it exceeds 2gb. The TX100v has better audio quality since is has a Dolby stereo microphone. The TX7 has a simple stereo mic which is not bad but doesn't handle loud noise well at concerts. The touch screen on the TX100v can be bit unresponsive at times causing you to touch the icon a few times before it actually responds. The TX7's touch screen is very responsive. Both cameras use the same NP-BN1 battery and the battery life (45-50 minutes)is about the same in both cameras when fully charged. The TX7 includes a wall charger but takes about 4 hours to fully charge the battery. The TX100v includes an USB charger for in camera charging and fully charges an hour faster. You can find a used or refurbished Sony charger on Amazon for around $10-20 bucks that fully charges the battery in 2 hours and 25 minutes.

The still picture quality and scene setting features are better on the TX100v. The TX100v a good choice if it's your first Cyber-shot for casual use. If you already own the TX7 or TX9 then it's not worth the upgrade. I decided to stick with the TX7 and returned the TX100v. Hopefully the next gen is worth the upgrade.

Update 8/30/2013
I ended up buying it again a few months later because it has the best video quality out of the cyber-shot TX series to date. The picture and video quality is better the the TX200v which is supposed to be an updated model to the TX100v.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the bunch, April 23, 2011
J. Maxwell (Bar Harbor, ME) - See all my reviews
This is the best of the current batch of cameras using the Exmor R CMOS. The shutter delay is negligible. A previous reviewer mentioned the movie mode button. There is a movie button but this just starts recording a movie according to the current movie settings (incredibly flexible up to 1080 P 60 fps). This lets you skip a step and just begin shooting video. during video shooting you can grab a still photo without interupting the video by pressing the normal exposure button. If you use maximum settings and all the bells and whistles you will create gorgeous still photos even in backlight conditions and video files that are remarkable especially if you use a small tripod to hold the camera by a stem. The macro feature is amazing with the Carl Zies lens. If you're interested in 3D get your own apartment first and move out of your mothers basement. The files created with 16 mp are huge and eat battery so you'll need lots of storage and batteries for a trip and perhaps one of the new USB3 card readers (5GB/sec) to download. Remember that HF video files cannot be stored or played from DVD's, you need a blu ray writer, they are cheap now. When I don't want to lag my Cannon SLR and lenses around, I still get remarkable images and video and the ability to shoot stills in 16:9 makes adding photos to my videos a pleasure.
JM

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a really quick review, April 17, 2011
This review is from: Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-TX100V 16.2 MP Exmor R CMOS Digital Still Camera with 3.5-inch OLED Touchscreen, 3D Sweep Panorama, and Full HD 1080/60p Video (Silver) (Electronics)
I've had this camera for a few days now and here are my thoughts:

The Good:
1) Fantastic pictures with very good low-light handling and fast start-up (around 1 sec).
2) Very easy movie mode. You just press the movie button on the touchscreen to start/stop. No fumbling through menus. The video quality is excellent as well, and you can record in both MP4 and the finer MTS (AVCHD). Audio is pretty decent and in stereo.
3) You can take pictures (sans flash) while recording videos.
4) The OLED screen is really detailed and impressive.
5) The panorama shots are easy to perform and very cool. I LOVE this feature.
6) The camera gets charged by connecting it to the USB (no need to take the battery out).
7) The touch focus (tap where you want to focus) and touch zoom during review (zooms in where you tap) are nice features.
8) Aesthetically speaking it's a pretty camera.

The Bad:
1) The touchscreen isn't all that great. It is resistive and not capacitive so I guess that explains it. I also have the Samsung ST600 with a 3.5" capacitive touchscreen and it is so much more responsive in comparison.
2) The cover is a pain to open. This is my first Sony camera with the push down cover so I don't know if all the others have been this way, but it seems more difficult than it needs to be. You have to push it down DIRECTLY from the top or you won't have any luck, and if you take a close look at the cover there really isn't much top. I'm not kidding about this. If you have fat fingers (and I don't) it may be even harder for you.
3) Access to the HDMI port is just a plastic clip held in place with a cheap rubber attachment. For the price of the camera they should have hinged it like a door.
4) It only has 4 language settings (English, French, Spanish, Japanese) unlike some cameras that have practically every language you can think of. Not a big deal but I would have thought Sony would have provided more in case you needed the option.

In conclusion, I guess I would buy it again despite the negatives. It's not perfect and it's definitely overpriced in my opinion, but it's also a nice well-protected little camera that you can just take along anywhere for great pictures or HD videos on the fly.

The HDMI is a mini type C connection if you'd like to order that along with the camera. The case that is recommended by Sony for this camera is model# LCS-TWK (which currently comes in black, pink and blue). I have one and it's really nice, although it does add some bulk to the whole camera package.

This isn't an extensive review, but I just wanted to throw some quick comments in there since I don't see many reviews anywhere for this particular model. I may add more info later when I've had more time with it.

[MORE - 2011/04/20]

I'm not a professional photographer by any means so I really can't comment on any professional aspects of photography when it comes to this camera. I can say that it takes excellent pictures and videos as far as I'm concerned. I had a chance to watch the video hooked up to a large screen TV via HDMI and I was thoroughly impressed! I'm not going to post any sample videos here but you can find some on youtube and they look just as gorgeous. I'm very happy with its capability in that regard. Also, the zoom while taking videos is smooth and SILENT! (not the audio, the zoom motor is really quiet). The colors are rich and the shots are crisp, and I must repeat how incredibly well this camera handles low-light conditions (particularly in videos because obviously you can't utilize the flash in that mode). On the downside, it does takes approximately 3 full seconds for the video to start recording after you've pressed the record button. That seems a bit slow to me.

I don't have a 3D TV so I'm not able to test that feature, but there's also this thing called Sweep Multi Angle that works like the panorama shot. The final product is a kind of moving picture that changes perspective as you tilt the camera left and right. I laughed the first time I saw that! It's just an extra fun thing you can do until the novelty wears off I guess.

The biggest negative I see for this camera is still the touchscreen. It doesn't seem to be all there and seems somewhat buggy. Sometimes it's hypersensitive and sometimes it just seems to lag. It does get irritating. The GUI is also sub-par. The buttons are kind of tiny and the whole interface is just rather dull. It's just not that refined. The camera does come with a stylus that you can hook to the strap and that helps a little. Also, I know that a lot of the newer cameras with accelerometers have features where you can just tilt the camera or tap it to shuffle though your shots, but this camera has none of that. It's just button presses or finger swipes (and the finger swipe doesn't work that well).

And speaking of fingers... because of the placement of the lens I seem to be getting my finger in the shot rather easily ^_^. I guess I need to start holding the camera differently or something.

The thing I do like a lot is the form factor. When it's closed it feels rock solid and protected. That along with its amazing pictures and videos and its unique features makes this camera worthwhile for me. I just wish it came with a capacitive touchscreen (like iphones and droids). That would make this thing totally awesome. But if you don't have that much experience with touchscreens in general you may not notice at all, so maybe I'm being too picky. It's not a terrible touchscreen by any means, but it could be better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Was expecting more upgrading from TX9, April 25, 2011
I'll keep this short and sweet. If you're stuck between the TX9 or the TX100, in my opinion, the TX9 is a better value and a better point and shoot camera. I have both and did side by side comparisons and the TX9 takes better photos in intelligent auto mode. I can't put my finger on it, but most of the TX100 shots are either not well focused or just too soft and fuzzy. There is a lack of definition in photos of people and the result is inferior image quality compared to the TX9. This is really a shame, because the TX100 does take better video. The video on the TX100 is clearer, has better color rendition and also has better low light quality. I didn't see a huge difference between 60p and 60i, other than file size. Where Sony screwed up is the placement of the microphone on top of the camera. First, it picks up too much ambient noise and second, I found myself covering the microphones with my fingers holding the camera. Because of its small form factor, and to keep fingers out of the shot, you have to hold the camera on the extreme corners of the body to avoid covering the microphone. The other difference I noticed is that the TX100 is slower at startup, but slightly better shot to shot than the TX9. I just can't justify spending the money to upgrade to the TX100 because its truly not a better all-around camera than the TX9.

3.0 out of 5 stars Newer is not always better (compare to TX9), May 12, 2011
Conclusion:

The TX9 is a better camera and much cheaper.

PROS:

*You can finally charge via USB! This is the first Sony camera I've tried where you do not have to take the battery out of the camera to charge it. This also means that you can can bring just the cable with you and leave the bulky charger at home when you travel if you have a laptop to plug into. This is great.

*HDR mode is very nice in the correct situations. In cases where there is a very bright part and a dark part in frame, this makes for great shots not otherwise possible.

CONS:

*Like the TX10, this camera has a quirk that sometimes forces you let go of the trigger and then press it again when you try to take a shot before the camera has "warmed up". This is intensely frustrating and makes me miss a lot of shots.

*GPS takes a good 2-3 minutes to lock in, even when standing in an open field. This pretty much makes the GPS useless for me since I typically take my camera out, take a picture, and put it away all within a few seconds. In practice, not one of my photos had a GPS tag on it. I had to go out to a park and stand there for several minutes with the camera on to get a lock and take a picture just to make sure it was actually working.

*Proprietary USB connector. What is the deal, Sony? Why can't you just use a normal USB connector? This means you need to have an extra special cable plugged into your machine, and one more thing to carry when you travel. Argh.

*Lens cover is hard to slide. Unlike the slide on the TX9 which I *love*, this cover just does not go down right. Sometimes it takes two hands, and even then can be hard.

Picture Quality:

I spent a couple of days with the TX100 on one pocket and my old TX9 in the other pocket, shooting every picture twice in the Intelligent+ auto mode. Going though all the photos, I really can't find one where the TX100 looks better than the TX9 and there are a few where the TX9 looks noticeably better.

The only case where the TX100 won is a few times I manually switched it into HDR mode for specific cases where there was a bright area in an otherwise dark shot. The HDR really does work great in these situations, but is too much of a hassle to have to manually turn on every time.

Advice:

Don't buy the TX100 camera. I'm sticking with my TX9, which I've seen on sale lately for as little as $239 and it really a much better camera in almost every way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of breed, May 21, 2011
Yhe best pics are the ones you actually take. A DSLR may do a slightly better job in some respects, but lugging it everywhere with multiple lenses and crap seriously reduces your picture/movie taking ease, joy and opportunities. I sold my DSLRs and bought this newly released one for its combination of features and portability--fits easily in my pant's pocket and is instantly ready for action at all times--I don't even carry a camera bag anymore. This camera goes everywhere w/me and is used far more that I ever used my Nikon 7000 DSLR or even my Lumix GH1.

Bottom line on this new TX100v for "point-n-shooters" is that this is by far the "best of the breed." Shooting in auto mode for both pics and videos is simple and produces great results regardless of lighting or sceanic conditions--no need to fool with the settings...this thing is fully automated and works perfectly nearly every time.

The TX100v easily beats my prior TX7 in most all categories. Only complaint is that if you want to join any of those those fabulous AVCHD video files you need a software editor like the free tsMuxeR (which works great, BTW).

I never miss getting priceless pics or movies any longer when the grandkids start doing something special at the drop of a hat (which is often), and I'm free to literally forget about shooting settings while getting truly great pics and videos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but sooo many features!, September 8, 2011
Can't say enough good things about this little camera!
Small, stylish, and from a TX9, this has vastly improved!
The focus and lock-on is much quicker.
Identifies scene is quick and correct.
Truely and point & shoot, and let the Sony logic do it's thing!
I bought it especially for the 1080p movie capability.
Gorgeous!
What's better, it can take Pictures when it's shooting movies!!
Do i really use that? not so much .. but it surely helps when you ask someone to take a picture for you, and somehow, they click the "Movie Record Now" on screen button, and then keep on clicking the main trigger button during the movie ..
they will appologize that you were taking a movie, but no worries, it's already taken 3MP pictures DURING the movie. :)
Awesome!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, May 9, 2011
I wanted to love this camera, I really really did. I wanted to like it as much as my TX1 which unfortunately fell off the hood of my truck (and survived the fall at medium speed, except for the optics--and survived in the rain for 36 hours no less). But there are several things which left me constantly frustrated using this camera during a once-in-a-lifetime trip this weekend. To clarify, I have happily owned 4 Sony digital cameras so I am very familiar with their layout and format. This review is based on an in-depth knowledge of how to use their products, YMMV if you are not familiar with Sony. I found the following challenges:
1) Many of the pictures did not turn out well. I was using the camera in strong sunlight, but mistakenly had confidence that they pictures would be ok if I aimed right. I use the camera in Auto and in Program mode. The focus was poor in some of them, the exposure WAY off in others. Metering mode seemed to randomly change, but perhaps that's due to the next challenge.
2) The touch screen is too sensitive. There were many pictures which I almost missed because my finger inadvertently brushed or even hovered above some menu option or the help menu. In the sun it was hard to see to cancel out of these options. Also, it was too easy to accidentally brush the video start button and start videoing when you really meant to take a still picture. I had a TX1 which also had a touch screen (part of the reason why I chose this model over some of the other similar models) so it's not a touchscreen learning curve issue, this one is just way too sensitive.
3) The slide down lens protector which turns on the camera and exposes the lens did not always slide down easily. There were a few pictures I almost missed because I simply could not get the camera opened without careful 2-handed interaction. When walking around as a tourist all day with something in your hands, this was sometimes a bit of a challenge to navigate. Again, the TX1 was the same form factor but did not behave this way.
4) The touch spot focus worked TERRIBLE. One reason I went with the touchscreen was because I like to point to exactly where I want the focus to be. The TX1 did this well. The software "enhancement" in this camera tries to "intelligently" decide what you are trying to focus on, which means it moves around randomly--often not at all where you want it to focus. This led to much frustration. To note, I operate the camera with face and smile recognition turned off, so those features were not trying to compensate.
5) The zoom moved too fast. Although it's only 4X, it was a little clunky in getting the zoom to move--something other reviewers of recent Sony products have noted. There's not a very granular level of zoom unless you very delicately finesse the zoom lever.
6) Finally, when accessing pictures as a drive on my laptop (did not load the software) it constantly hung Windows Explorer so I could not copy pictures off of the memory stick to my laptop. After 30 minutes of retrying, I simply gave up and will need to use a MS adapter plugged into another computer.

What did I like?
It worked with previous memory sticks that I have as well as SD cards, of which I also have several. So there's no worry about running out of space taking only pictures (HD video of course is a whole 'nother story.)

Battery life was just ok. The camera went through heavy usage one day and needed to be recharged after only 75 pictures or so (and no video).

I liked that the battery charger also regulates voltage when recharging the battery, so you can use it in a foreign country without a voltage regulator (although you still need the funky outlet adapter). The battery charger also was very small which meant that it fits into the toe of a shoe in your suitcase. While others have disliked that you can only recharge the battery in the camera, this wasn't a problem on this trip. It probably would be if I had had two batteries with me and needed to recharge both overnight.

The small form factor meant it fit easily into a purse pocket, so it was easy to access.

Sony does great with low-light picture taking--this was true of my TX1, and true of this camera. (At least when the exposure worked correctly on this one!)

I will return this camera and replace it with one of the other models and hope it works better. I like Sony cameras and have had great success with every one of my prior cameras, just not this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony Tx100v, May 16, 2011
R. Rea (San Luis Obispo, CA) - See all my reviews
Some quick comments after one month of use:

-video button on screen, OK, but pushing the screen moves the camera, takes a second to start recording is good; finish recording and push button and the camera moves...will have to edit.
-screen, I like it, set on bright for outdoors, takes a second to start up.
-zoom is slow, but OK for video, not very strong though.
-love the panorama, great for street and landscapes
-like the itelligent mode, most of the time.
-this is my fourth cybershot, the menu is easy once you understand the sequence.
-batteries, take along two extra for the day.
-don't like the extras you have to buy: extra batteries, hi-speed charger, hdmi cable to TV and memory cards, got the 32GB card, great for lots of video.
-we bought the black, like it very much.
-really like the large screen, icons can be sensitive at times.
-love the defocus feature, missed this since my SLR film camera days
-the case is the most difficult of all the sony cameras we have had since 2003, it's tricky, finger nails work well.