Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her May The Best Garden Be Yours Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now HTL

on August 29, 2011
Lately when traveling I bring along a bigger camera for myself and a point and shoot for the kids. This summer our family trip was to the National Parks of Utah. For the point and shoot I brought along a little Canon that I had just bought a month earlier and used twice prior in test shoots. Unfortunately as soon as we got to Utah it was dead (don't know why). That meant a trip to Walmart and in about 10 minutes I was leaving with this little camera in hand. Therefore, I didn't do any pre-purchase research and so I was hoping that I didn't make a mistake. Luckily, I didn't.

The camera is small and thin and attractive (in a camera sort of way). Controls are very simple to use but there are a lot of point and shoot advanced features like a really cool panorama feature that stitches all of your photos together right in the camera. We didn't shoot a lot of video with this camera but a little test video that I did looked pretty good for an inexpensive camera.

The camera doesn't have a lot of manual controls, but most people who would buy this camera wouldn't use them anyway. Like many new cameras it has an intelligent auto function that can actually adjust the camera for different types of scenes automatically. Freeze movement, landscape, macro, and so on. It also has a "intelligent plus" option for difficult situations like capturing in low light.

Battery life seems pretty good and it is so light you won't even know it is in your pocket. In addition, it comes with a outboard charger so you can easily have an extra battery on hand if you wish. My kids actually filled up a 4 GB SD card so I feel that I have a pretty good handle on the picture quality which is very nice. The other camera that I took was a hybrid micro 4 3 camera which (of course) took better pictures, but with some minor tweaking in a photo editor the Sony pictures looked almost as good.

Downside? The camera packs a lot of pixels in a very tiny sensor so low light photos without a flash won't be as good as they could be. In addition (I think) this camera automatically adjusts the size of the image depending on the photo situation so you may not be getting the full 14 megapixels with each of your photos (at least that is what I have read about other Sony point and shoots).

Build quality is OK but the battery compartment is a bit on the flimsy side. On a positive note, this camera will use SD cards or memory sticks. SD cards are easy to find when on vacation and have been the standard with these types of cameras.

Would I buy it again... absolutely. Low price and good pictures!
on March 29, 2011
I just purchased this camera in red. Cosmetically, it is very nice looking and compact. I wanted a new camera and am fed up with Kodak - my most recent EasyShare lasted me 2 years before freezing and turning subjects into Casper the friendly ghost, so I decided Kodak quality isn't what it used to be. Whenever I think quality electronics, I immediately think Sony, so why not for cameras? I am not disappointed in my choice. The biggest reason I love this camera is that it takes quick shots. My 16 month old son does NOT like to pose or sit still, so if I want to capture the cute things he does, I need a quick response between pushing the shutter and actually catching the image on the camera. This camera impresses me on that front. I am not a techie, but as a simple needs kinda photographer, I say this is a winner!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2011
I purchased 4 of these a couple weeks ago for work. We use them for recording and documenting NDE exams at a nuclear power plant. I like a camera that can get up and real personal with things like damaged bolting, pitting in materials, and Magnaflux exam indications. This camera will do a fine job, it works well for general indoor use and can take great detail with the lens about 4-5 inches from the subject.

The camera drops easily into your pants pocket, or into your cargo pants. It is not heavy or bulky at all. In low light, it fires an inferred light to get focused and it works very well.

Where they completely dropped the ball is with the charging system. You can not plug a USB cable into it and charge the device. Your forced to remove the battery and place it into a proprietary dock to charge. This is painful when you are using the camera daily, especially when compounded by the fact that the camera drops all date, time and setting memory each time you remove the battery. Ridiculous.

It's a shame on the battery, it should have been charged internally and been able to be plugged into a standard micro USB cable on your pc, just like your cell phone is. This reminds of Sony proprietary memory and iPhone/iPod proprietary charging cables. Things that make you want to smack someone.

Don't let the battery alone sway you away, because other than that, this would have been a 5 star review. It takes really great pictures, especially at its price point. The pictures from this are great.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 6, 2011
I was looking for a quick camera fix after I dropped mine in a hot tub and grabbed this camera at Best Buy for about 10 dollars more than the listed price. It has pretty decent stabilization, and produces fairly good quality shots in low lighting with a high ISO, for a point and shoot. It also has an interesting soft skin feature that is great for close up portraits, skin looks softer but not fake or overly digital. I took it to disneyland and although the shutter speed is a little too slow for action shots is pretty awesome in every other sense. I would definetly recommend it for the price. The HD video recording feature is awesome, its the first time I have been able to zoom in with a sony point and shoot while I was already recording, that itself was worth the price.
on April 19, 2011
We got this camera because we wanted a pocket camera for when we cannot carry the Canon SLR and its lenses (certain travel destinations, nights out, etc). The pictures made with this camera are excellent. It has a great quality lens. It has many useful features. I could easily say it is the best pocket digital camera I have owned, and I am always glad to see that the pictures made with it are way better than my friends pictures made with their own pocket digital cameras.
on December 20, 2011
You have to understand where we came from -- an aged, clunky 4MP Sony that had been dropped in the fine sand of a California beach, pooped on once by accident (a baby), fought over in a divorce, pushed down the stairs by a cat.

Compared to that old camera, the DSC-W560 is a gem. But in the bigger picture compared to modern digital cameras, it's average in picture quality but above average in value. It does HD video, has one touch no fuss photo modes, lots of neat features, and a compact profile. The LCD screen on the back is bright and easy to see. It can get amazingly close for macro pictures. Just an inch or two it seems. It can take seamless panorama pictures, automatically detect faces, smiles, and even blinking at the wrong time. It also has a lithium ion rechargeable battery.

For the money, it does a lot. The picture quality is average, neither great or bad, full HD video -- though the video is limited to 2GB chunks no matter how big your memory card is, and limited to appx 29 minutes in length. The battery will do several hundred pictures or about 70 minutes of video before quitting.

It has two extremely annoying attributes that really really irritate me. First, you have to remove the battery to charge the camera. It can't be charged internally, and it can't be charged via USB. And second, when you remove the battery to charge it, you have to reset the date, time, time zone, and a few other settings EVERY SINGLE TIME. Not all of them though. Even though the date is important to me, it retains all the quality settings, the sounds, and the miscellaneous settings.

I'm in shock that this is even an issue when our ancient digital camera managed this amazing date retention feature despite being 8 years old. The level of irritation by this will shock you. You read this review and think, "I can't believe this guy is so petty he'd whine about that." Look, get the camera and then tell me with a straight face that you really like resetting the date and like having to carry around a separate charger because it can't charge via USB.

Update after 6 months of use. Camera no longer loses date and time with battery removed. Apparently it has a self-healing feature. Bizarre. However, it depletes the battery even when off. I kept yelling at my wife about leaving the battery depleted after use, but I notice that it was draining even after we had it in storage. This is extremely annoying. It will deplete a fully charged battery in a matter of weeks. Because the batteries take many hours to charge, the camera is out of commission for a long time. We have begun removing the battery from the camera when stored.
on October 21, 2011
Astounded by the capabilities of this camera. In AUTO mode takes great photos under all conditions
Just point and shoot. Used 4MB card with 620 shots Could not fill on a 10 day holiday
Amazed when I downloaded photographs with the detail in the photos and they quality in poor light conditions Sufficient pixels that I could zoom in and crop photo without losing detail
Very satisfied customer
on June 17, 2011
Bought this camera as a birthday gift for my daughter to take on her vacation. She loved it and the pictures came out great. It would have been nice if in the description it mentioned that it came with a battery charger, which we also purchased so now we have two. A few years ago, we purchased a Sony camera and have had excellent results with it so that is why we chose Sony again. Takes great videos, too.
on December 19, 2011
For the price, this is a very nice little camera. Easy to set up and use and takes very good pictures.

A word of caution. The camera does not come with a memory card and it will not function without one. It takes two types of card: either a Memory Stick Pro Duo or an SDHC Memory Card. The old "Memory Stick" cards used in older Sony cameras will NOT fit in this camera. So either purchase a card from Amazon when you buy the camera or prepare for a trip to the store when the camera arrives (Target sells both types of cards).

I recommend purchasing a second battery. As previous reviewers have noted, the battery must be removed from the camera to be recharged - there is no provision for charging in the camera. Having a second battery available allows you to just pop it into the camera and you're ready to go. If you wish to purchase an additional battery, I can't see why you should purchase the Sony battery for $35.00 when you can purchase a generic brand, which works just fine, for about 5 bucks on Amazon (just do a search on Amazon for "NP-BN1"). Another reviewer commented that removing the battery reset the time and date on his camera, requiring the time and date be set up again. I didn't have this problem. Because I got distracted with something else, I left my camera on the table with no battery for several hours. When I put the fresh battery in, the correct time and date were still programmed.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 22, 2011
I love this camera. First camera I have owned that I was surprised by the result. I am not a camera savvy guy so do not know much about it. But out of the box this thing takes great pictures on auto. Wish I would have brought it sooner. The image stabilization is really good, but occasionally some pictures still come out blurry that is why this camera gets 4 stars. The sweep panaroma is really good for outdoors. Just turn it on and move your camera from left to right or vice versa and you have a landscape photo. All in all, a great camera.