on January 24, 2013
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
If you can still find these get one. I only paid 230 for mine. They normally go for 330 or more! Just google it it. I bought mine brand new. I won't lie though the camera only sucks when it comes to zoom. But if you see what I call "live caption video recording, its amazing, even through the view finder of the camera! For price and money its worth the money! I feel the seller I bought mine from be the person to buy from, they were fast and quick with shipping, I also suggest getting a Sony Media 32 GB SDHC Flash Memory Card. This sin't the type of camera you buy cheap cards for. You know howmany pictures you can take with a memory stick like that? 5000+ HD Pictures, and about 2 hours worth of hd video. Not bad if you ask me!

If you feel you want something in between a great camera and a good one this one be it, more towards great then towards good! So I say very good! What else are you going to get for 230 some dollars with a camera high end as this, you want more then this, well be expected to pay 400+ for one. >.< On sonys site this camera goes for 300 dollars "thats before taxes, and not counting shipping and handling" Good thing for Amazon to get it cheaper!

Thats my review, I suggest acting fast in getting this before theres no more left to buy or before the price goes up!
on July 27, 2012
Color Name: RedVerified Purchase
The Sony DSCHX10v--was purchased to support field operations that requires GPS documentation with the pictures, as apart of litigation actions. The camera was purchased with that in mind. The quality of pictures is great,and the many features, but the Users Manual is basically worthless; the extensive internal menus and submenues in the camera are not user friendly and you must rely on discovery rather than guideance to find what you need. The software PlayMemoriesHome was difficult to get to download it did not just happen with a "click" as other brands of camera I'm used to. Once downloaded you discover it is not the latest version and you need and must download the Expanded Version to get the edit functions you need. But now it will not download at all, just error messages. Sony Technical Support of little help--manual and user guide worthless except for the basic of basics. The learning curve is too expensive with this camera, I'm considering returning if I can not get to use the edit functions I need.

It took phone calls to other users to figure out how to turn GPS ON, then you have to initialize all settings just to turn GPS Off. No explation in the manual. I need to have GPS data incorporated in the printed picture--so far unable to figure out how to do that. You should not need to create a Web Page Chat room to use this camera for basic function. If not for quality of picture and optics, I would rate this camera a One Star.
Don in Wyoming
on May 26, 2014
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
This Sony pocket point and shoot camera is small enough to fit into any pocket,
but packs a tremendous amount of features and modes. The quality of the images
are outstanding, and it goes from wide angle to 16X optical zoom. It can be used
full automatically, either using Superior Auto or Intelligent Auto. You can also select
from a multitude of scene modes. Also note that it has a panoramic as well as a
3D mode. Check out any online review, but note that this camera is the same as a
Leica that costs about 3X as much. Incidentally, the ISO goes up to12,800, but
typically defaults to about 800 ISO in low light with the flash off. Of course this will
vary greatly depending upon lighting conditions. The internal rechargeable battery is not
charged by removing the battery and placing it into a charger, but by inserting a
cable into the bottom of the camera. Some people may find that inconvenient, but
I have gotten used to that system. So in summary, this very compact camera seems
to be very competent used fully automatically, but gives you many scene modes as
well as manual settings. Unlike some older Sony cameras, it does also take regular
SD cards. Lots of camera at a competitive price.
on May 17, 2014
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I originally purchased this camera for my wife, but she rarely used it, opting instead for her Iphone (which does quire well, considering it's a phone). I already own a Sony DSLR and half-a-dozen lenses, a Panasonic ZS8, and a Canon SX40HS, so I am not hurting for a camera to shoot with, and they all have their individual purposes. The HX10V has the Sony "G" lens, which is very sharp at all focal lengths, and is fairly quick to focus, even on moving subjects, although panning certainly helps. The zoom range (16X) is a very respectable 25-410 mm (in 35mm terms). Your video is 1080p, and 60FPS is selectable. The videos are very smooth at 60FPS, and the G lens is extremely sharp. The pictures are great, the video is outstanding. The panorama feature is nice, in that you can choose to sweep from left to right, or right to left, or down to up, or up to down. You can do 3D pictures, and so much more to keep you busy. I am still discovering things I didn't know, but I like the camera very much. A great camera to take motorcycling, where room is limited. I could go on, but most of it would be technical stuff, and professional reviewers are so much better than me.
on February 23, 2013
Color Name: SilverVerified Purchase
I purchased this camera (DSC-HX10V) and the Sony DSC-WX150. I ran various home grown tests on both cameras under various conditions: action, with flash, without flash, zoom, natural light, etc. Both cameras were set to the "automatic smart green setting". The DSC-HX10V (this camera) photos were much more true to color in all photo testing. Consistently the WX150 had a blueish hint to the photos - as in a vivid purple iris looked blue not purple like real life. We have oak bookcases. Comparing photos side by side with both cameras, the bookcases with the WX150 didn't have the golden undertones. We called Sony about the blue issue and they said it must be a defective unit. That may be the case. I can only report on my experience.

On the zoom test, I put both cameras to 10X optical and turned digital zoom off (note the HX10V has optical zoom to 16X). I took pictures of the spines of my kids books from across the room. The edges of the letters with the WX150 were "noisy" whereas the HX10V (this camera) at 10x optical were very clear (no, I did not pixel peep). If you don't plan to do a lot of detailed zooming because you can be closer to your subject, this should be no big deal. I take pictures of my kids swimming from the stands - I need a decent zoom without lugging a DSLR or hybrid.

Both cameras performed about the same on action shots. I had my kids jump on the bed for several minutes while my husband and I took photos with both cameras at the same time. The HX10V does have a true sports mode which helped to reduce the blur some. I still had to take a bunch to get the lucky action shots on both cameras.

Note: all pictures were taken from the same distance, compared side by side, at the same size on the same monitor. In other words this was as scientific as an average camera owner (not photographer) would do. Ultimately we opted for the HX10V for the extra $60-$70.

The only thing I liked better about the WX150 is the flash is built in whereas the HX10V's flash is a pop up and it is right where I want to hold the camera with the left hand (very annoying). Though the HX10V flash is brighter and goes a farther distance.

To compensate for the pop up flash, we get a nice "rubberized" and 3D hand/finger grip with a thumb grip on the back. This definitely helps balance the camera better. Though I recommend using the wrist strap to be safe - just as we do with the Wii remotes.

The HX10V also has the 16X Optical zoom I mentioned, some fun features like toy, pop, etc, ability to adjust hue easily, a few extra smart modes and a little more control over settings like a M and P mode (not that I would use them but they are there). Both have a full HD movie mode and can take 3D photos (though I couldn't test this as I don't have a 3D monitor). I am sure there are other wonderful features but these are the ones I noticed.

I hope this helps the average camera buyer. You will see a similar review on the Sony Cybershot DSC-WX150.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 14, 2012
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
Amazing photo and video quality and the best one is recording and taking picture simultaneously! The only drawback of HX10V is the position of flash on the top-left corner, especially when you ask someone else to take picture for you, you should either ask him to expect the flash to be jumped up, or the other guy will be surprised and most probably saying "what the hell was that!"
on May 9, 2013
Color Name: Black
I like the camera and its features. The main problem I have with it is the specialty battery pack. I used to have a camera using AAs, so there was never an issue getting more juice for it, no matter where I was. Now initially I wasn't all that worried about the battery being a specialized one because it was supposed to charge with a micro USB connection, and these days you can find almost always someone somewhere with a micro USB cable. What Sony does not tell you is, the battery only charges with the original Sony micro USB. No idea how they manage to do that, but my camera would not charge with any of my other 8 micro USB cables I have except for the original Sony one. A real bummer to me. You can download the pictures with any other cable, but not charge it. Whoever thought this one up failed in my opinion. The pictures it takes are nice, but again, as some already mentioned, the flash is in a bad spot, my fingers are always covering it up and it is also overexposing the pics if you are fairly close to your target. All in all I guess I will keep mine, as I use it mostly outdoors and it works great for that. But I was expecting more from it.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Color Name: RedVerified Purchase
I ordered this camera a year ago and it's taken me a while to get use to it.
My photos have almost always been sharp and the colors are deep and rich.
I recommend this camera for its size (I can fit it into my side pocket) and
sharp photos. I still have to use the on-line directions sometimes, too
many features to remember. Only con with the camera is that it doesn't
have a quick-easy manual and the flash is located in a bad spot (it's
right where I hold the camera).
on December 31, 2012
Color Name: Silver
I recently purchased the HX10V but am having issues with the use of the flash. As mentioned in other reviews the flash pops-up which makes it more difficult to hold the camera as it is farily compact. The more troubling issue is the brightness of the flash. It is very intense and i have not found a way to adjust it. Faces are washed out and scenes look overexposed. I am considering returning the camera and finding somehting else.
on March 8, 2013
Color Name: SilverVerified Purchase
The Sony Cyber-shot produces incredibly sharp pictures and the "wide angle" has come in handy. The product I ordered works well. I took it to Napa and have a beautiful collection of pictures. I also have taken pictures for real estate rentals as well. The wide angle gives a better view of small rooms than a standard lens. It's also easy to carry in a purse.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations