Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on December 12, 2012
After having this camera for three months now, it just keeps impressing over and over and over. There are so many options and features on this camera that it easily out shoots my 4 year old Nikon SLR. This camera is the perfect size to just stick in your pocket and go. The only draw back I see is that it does chew through batteries get about 200 photos per full charge. I highly recommend this camera and if any thing were to happen to it I would have no hesitation getting another.
on March 21, 2016
This DSC-HX series of camera models may not have the newer tech of the RX100 line but is not really "out-dated" or too old. The quality is still very high and comparable to newer cameras and very capable of getting shots for average Joe plus the quality and control of manual mode to satisfy more demanding enthusiasts of photography and video.
Must have accessories:
Batteries:
If you ever plan on shooting for more than an hour get some back up batteries and a second charger. I cycle through using 3 bateries and two chargers so I never miss something due to dead batteries.

Viewfinder:
A big selling point on the newer top of the line compacts is having a viewfinder that enables you to easily see to get your manual focus right, avoid over exposure, and just plain see better. You can have a viewfinder that does that on this camera as well although it is nowhere nearly as sleek and compact as the retractable ones. Regardless of its size though it takes this camera and your shooting to a whole other level. I added a picture to my review so you can see it. It makes it so much nicer to shoot with and hold. Very convenient and quickly attaches and detaches. Look it up Xit XTLCDMV Professional LCD Viewfinder with 2X Magnification
I have a detailed review of it for use on this camera there.

Versatility in compact form is what this camera is all about. You can zoom 20x or do a macro shot from a centimeter away and the full range between. A DSLR would require multiple lenses to accomplish the that with yes higher quality but this is plenty good enough for a serious enthusiast. This camera allows me to film fast paced action of bands playing, while still being able to pursue other interesting photography shots from low light 100iso 30 second exposures to macro close-ups that allow you to see things like your fingerprint in high detail like a magnifying glass and be able to capture it. I did a lot of research before buying this camera so I could get this wide range of abilities with the pocket-ability. I wanted something small enough to be comfortable to carry on me so there's no excuse to not have it along and not capture a moment. I comfortably film in tight spaces like in front of the stages of shows I film. I wanted the motorized zoom that will smoothly take me far in for close ups that could not be done with cameras with less zoom range without a crane jib. It would also be pretty hard to try and do the transitions I do with a manual lens without getting a lot of awkwardness and probably shake. Basically it allows me to shot things you would otherwise need a lot of other equipment to do. My filming style for live bands is very active, just like the band. I learn the song before hand and know where the energy is as the band members pass it around. The mobility and zoom allow me to track and follow the energy very well. I have been filming live music shows since 2008 and Sonys little power packed cameras like this are great for being able to capture a wide variety of things.

You can see more videos filmed with this camera on my YouTube Channel TBoneProductionsVB. Most of the videos are filmed with this camera but not all of them. Some of them are from my previous old Cybershot model, Mobius Action Camera from JooVoo.com, and some Go Pro.
I chose the still pictures in my review as example of the cameras capability so they are almost all unedited and just as I captured them with the camera but a couple I might have lightened or darkened a bit with Picasa editor. I've had some dust stuck on the inner lenses messing with my shots I need to get blown out so if you see little spots of soft fuzziness or darkness it is just that. That is one downside to the camera, hard to get that dust out of the lenses because you cant just remove them and clean it. Perhaps that is the price you pay for the convenience of mechanical zoom lenses I guess but its fine with me if I can get it cleaned out.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
on May 14, 2012
I'm not going to repeat what has already been said except I really like this camera and to use all the functions, you need to spend a lot of time figuring things out with the instructions that are lacking. The first thing I couldn't find was how to change the focus type. An example, it just says [MENU] then [FOCUS], I couldn't find that on the menu, and it was no where to be found, I was pissed.
For this review to be of help here is what I did.
I found on another website review that said to go to Sony's website and lookup the HX9V instructions and "WALA" I found most of what I needed there including a detailed explanation of some of the features and exactly what they do, go there.
[...] You might want to print out the charts and keep them with you for a while till you can remember them all. There's a lot there.

I really like the wide angle too, no more telling people to "step back"

Old cameras before this are Sony 7mg pxl point shoot and 2mg pxl Fugi. Yea, I don't buy cameras that often.
I compare the results of my HX30V with my Dad's big SLR NIKON, most people will not see the difference and I can put it in my pocket.
What's really great is the ability to eliminate the back light problems. (only in superior auto mode)
By the way, I grew up around cameras and got bored. This thing got me interested again.
There's so much on this thing, you might not use them all. It helps to know a little about cameras, just don't be so picky and enjoy. These are so cool viewing on my 50" 1080p TV, 3D is also great, can't wait to visit the mountains and trying some 3D
on June 27, 2012
I've primarily been a DSLR shooter for most of my adult life and hence grew accustomed to great image quality, fast autofocus and response times... along with missed photo opportunities due to not having a camera with me at times due to size and heft. I've been on the lookout for the perfect companion camera, one that I could take along on most occasions without breaking my back and still deliver good photos.

In a nutshell, the HX30V is not the perfect pocketable superzoom, but it gets about as close to it as current camera offerings as of Summer 2012. The zoom range is a very useful 24-500mm (full frame equivalent), image stabilization is the best I've seen in this category of cameras and photos are very pleasing right out of the camera. Speaking of image quality, Sony is infamous, on their small-sensor cameras, for their watercolor appearance when viewed at 100% magnification on the screen (pixel-peeping, as it were). The HX30V is no exception, but in real life no one should have a need to pixel peep anyway. When viewed to fit a screen up to 2560x1600 this isn't an issue, nor when viewed on a TV screen.

The HX30V also features built-in Wi-Fi acting as its own access point, allowing photo transfer to a smartphone even when not in Wi-Fi range. This feature requires a free smartphone app, available in the app stores.

I've never used its GPS capability, so I can't comment on it.

PROS:
1. Very fast autofocus acquisition given the camera type. On par with the better m43 cameras, but still short of phase-detect AF used in DSLRs.
2. Very pleasing photos out of the camera, generally not requiring post processing.
3. Good dynamic range for a small sensor.
4. Decent low-light image quality due to multi-frame stacking to eliminate high ISO noise
5. Exceptional image stabilization, even when zoomed in all the way.
6. Very good video quality
7. Decent price for original Sony batteries (roughly $20 as of the time of this review)
8. Very good display on the back of the camera (both resolution and color accuracy wise)

CONS:
1. Lack of fine detail when photos are viewed at 100% magnification on screen
2. Somewhat slow start-up time
3. Menu can be a bit convoluted to navigate
4. No auto ISO when in Manual shooting mode.
5. No flash exposure compensation (though I've seen very few cameras of this type sporting said feature)
on August 4, 2012
I was really hesitant to pay this much for a small camera. I was having a hard time justifying the price. I went ahead with the purchase thinking I could always return it if it didn't meet expectations.
It's been three months now. Needless to say I didn't return it. The reason is because this camera has no faults for my use. The pictures are outstanding but the best thing is how easy it is to use. Every position you turn the wheel defines that position and what it does. The coolest thing is the telephoto lens. You can even use this feature to zoom in on a photo you already took.
The video feature is amazing. I took 241 photos before the battery ran low. If there is anything wrong with this camera it would be the lack of a view finder or the flash in a place where you usually put your finger.

I LOVE THIS CAMERA !!

Cheers
on October 29, 2012
I read a lot of the reviews posted here and I decided to go with this camera. It was a little more expensive that other models I was looking at, but the features mentioned in past reviews are what sold me.
Here are my highlights:
-Low light pictures are fantastic - I was really looking for this feature as I wanted an all around camera, but a smaller physical size. It definitely lived up to the reviews
-Sweeping panorama pictures - I have never been a panorama picture taker, but with the sweeping feature this camera has it is way easy and the pictures turn out great!
-The camera interface is pretty intuitive. Easy to figure out, fast and responsive

This is the perfect all around point-and-shoot camera for those who want a smaller camera that can keep up with a DSLR type.
on January 8, 2013
I have tried many compact cameras that professed to be fully featured but this one far outshines all of them. The others have always managed to fall short in color rendition, sharpness, and shutter speed to name a few. The photos from this camera do not disappoint. They are always true representations of the original scene, the colors are extremely accurate, and it takes great macro shots. Between its compact size and long battery life, it's perfect for spending a day shooting at the botanical gardens where I love taking close ups of the flowers and foliage. However, where this little gem truly amazed me was at night under low light conditions. Of all the cameras I've had, this one takes the best night shots. It's a good all-around camera with excellent point and shoot, as well as manual settings for the more advanced photographers.
on November 26, 2012
This camera is excellent. Beautiful, vivid shots and is consumer-friendly in terms of using the menu. The only drawbacks are the location of the built-in flash and no Carl Zeiss lens. Otherwise an overall excellent camera!
on August 28, 2012
After reading dozens of reviews on megazoom camera's, it came down to the sony vs. canon hx260 and i went with the sony, and am i glad i did, it is a sharp looking camera, excellent quality, very fast, with great photos!
screen can be hard to see in sunlight but which camera isn't, really!
battery life is good.
the zoom is unbelievable!!!
highly recommend this camera!
on July 19, 2012
60 FPS, 1080P hi definition video! Excellent image stabilization and incredible zoom. We took it on a Bahamas vacation to capture the whole thing in both video and pictures and this thing was great. Can't get the wifi to work, maybe I should have saved $20 and bought the 20, but other than that, it is fantastic.