5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Cyber-Shot T90 vs Canon Power Shot SD780IS
Before I conducted this side by side comparison, I purchased and returned the Olympus Tough 6000, Casio EX FC-100 and Casio Exilim EX-S10. The Olympus took awful pictures. The S10 was just blah - no real feature improvements of the Exilim 5MP I have now. The FC-100 was just too big.

So yes, I am picky! I wanted a small, sexy, functioning, easy to use,...
Published on June 2, 2009 by Kimmy

1.0 out of 5 stars Great photos, but bad construction
I have owned two of these cameras. The photo quality is great and it has a sleek design but the touch-screen is so weak that it easily cracks. My second one just cracked so I felt compelled to write a review. In this most recent case, the camera was just in my front jeans pocket and cracked due to the pressure from walking around (I don't wear tight jeans).

I...
Published on February 7, 2010 by PMY

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Cyber-Shot T90 vs Canon Power Shot SD780IS, June 2, 2009
Kimmy (Bainbridge Island, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T90 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Zoom and Super Steady Shot Image Stabilization (Silver) (Electronics)

So yes, I am picky! I wanted a small, sexy, functioning, easy to use, superior camera. I was torn between the Canon Powershot 780IS and Sony Cyber-Shot T90. I visited with both at a retail store and was still undecided - besides Amazon prices were much cheaper. I ordered both and did a side by side comparison in my home. The Canon went back - sorry Powershot.

Here's the scoop. Just for base leveling - I just like to take good pictures of my dogs and garden and husband and just life. I'm not a professional. I mostly post my pictures facebook or email - very rarely do I print.

Both cameras were sexy and small. Both were hefty and felt solid. Both require you remove the battery to charge it. That's about where the similarities end.

The Canon menu interface was clunky and not intuitive. I have not used either brand of camera in the past - so I have no bias from previous experience. Simple things like changing the picture setting took a couple minutes to figure out. The Sony has a touch screen - which at first I thought was just hype. I mean really, Ashton is cute and all - but I don't need a touch screen. Then I used it!! It rocks!! Very easy to navigate. Quick to learn and very functional.

The T90 is almost completely automatic. The only feature missing is the "make me look skinny" setting. Plus in auto mode - the camera tells you which setting is selected (portrait, landscape, gourmet food- seriously). So you don't have to worry if your mountains will look like sushi or vice versa. The smile detection comes on automatically when you take a picture of a face. It's doesn't work on dogs - but it did recognize a Barbie doll face. There are tons of features - like touching the screen to focus on a person or object for the auto focus. Smile settings - little smile, medium, and big. The screen is a nice size for viewing and sharing on the spot. And seriously, it has a gourmet food setting. I have no idea why- but it's cool. There is also a beach setting, snow setting and underwater setting (camera is not waterproof).

The big deal breaker was the picture quality. I took at picture of the same scenes with both cameras at the same time. Both camera set to auto setting and then set to landscape. I uploaded all pictures to my laptop and viewed them in the format and size directly from the camera. The Sony pictures were more vibrant, had more detail and were crisp. I asked my husband to look at a side by side of the pictures - he picked the Sony pictures, as well. I also tested the image stabilization on both cameras. The Sony again was superior. Neither camera did well when I jumped up a down while taking a shot. But, the Sony outperformed on hand wobbling. So, done!! The Sony won.

The Sony also has less shutter lag and shorter "boot up time". I love the touch screen. The camera is small, easy to use and fun. The picture quality is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let me take a moment to gush over my T90, May 1, 2009
I've had this camera since Tuesday and it's Friday and I'm still amazed. I've spent hours trying to learn my way around the menu, taking pictures, recording videos. I previously owned the Sony W150, but I upgraded for something much smaller. I've used the Panasonic Lumix and I've tried different Canon cameras, but the T90 takes the cake. This camera is sleek! The black casing is sexy :). I've tried all the Rec modes, except landscape. I still need to try the 6 scene selection modes. Overall, The photos are beautiful. The intelligent scene recognition mode is truly amazing. I tried to simulate several scenes in my living room/ kitchen with the windows open or closed, lights on or off. The camera was able to clearly identify the scene, backlight, or even when I simply desired to take a macro shot of my fingers to see all the wrinkles(unbelievable what scene recognition does)! As of now, I am happy and I have no regrets with my purchase. The battery does not last as long as my Sony W150, but it's good enough. I also picked up the Sony infolithium battery on here for like $38 (bought it through Amazon for peace of mind). I also purchased the 8gb MS Pro Duo Mark2 through Amazon for $44. Best Buy is selling the 8gb Mark 2 for $39.99 on sale right now until 5/2 (I wish I purchased it through BB, but it's only five dollars so whatever). I also purchased my camera through Best Buy for $299.99 plus tax (If only I would have checked Amazon's pricing before buying). Well despite all of that, the camera is absolutely wonderful. The honeymoon phase is going great and I would definitely recommend it to anyone. Hopefully, months from now I'm still happy with this camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have big cameras for great shots, but I needed a small camera that could still get great shots., November 1, 2009
In short, I love travel. I always have at least two cameras with me. But I needed a camera for those times that I didn't want to look like a tourist, but I still wanted great photos. You know, those dress-up events and such. Or even those wonderful photo oportunities that you may stumble upon. This camera covered the need precisely. It has some features that even my larger cameras don't have like Face Detection. My only real advice to anyone who buys the camera is that you ALWAYS use the hand strap. This is a tiny camera that has a touch sensive screen with many buttons on the camera's edges. So you have to gingerly hold it and it may slip from such a grip. Otherwise, this is a GREAT camera that can fit into a pocket. But do get the Sony brand carry case. You can use it or leave it behind. But always store the camera in this case to protect the viewscreen. And be very aware to keep the lens over the flash clean. Any "gunk" over this screen can be heated up by the flash to a permanent coating that will change the flash values. And may I also add, the time from "power on" to first picture is very brief. That's important to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad little camera!, August 12, 2009
Im used to shooting with a Nikon D40 DSLR.

My wife wanted that nikon coolpix that ashton kutcher draws on with his finger as he runs around the party annoying everyone.

the reviews were horrible, i searched for every touchscreen camera and almost got an ulser trying to select the right one for my wifes birthday. I wanted to get her the features she wanted, but i also wanted to make sure she wouldnt be disappointed with the images is captures. With a handful of these touchscreen cameras on the market, the pickings are slim.

Basically if you want DSLR quality you need a DSLR, if you wife wants a cute sexy slick little pink camera to throw in her purse and can be the source of almost endless entertinment, this camera nails it on the head 100%

The pics are good. In daylight they are real good. In the garage playing beerpong at night with some friends they pics are somewhat grainy. But no more than any other P&S camera.

The touchscreen is not the same as an ipod, it is a little soft to the touch, but far far far more responsive than that piece of garbage cellphone called the Incite by LG.

Not QUITE as good as Ipod Touch screens, but a very close 2nd and very usable.

it has a lot of little neat features, you can make people smile if they werent smiling, you can give things a fish eye appearance, make things sparkle, you can draw on the screen and do all kinds of stuff with stamps, borders, etc..

this camera pretty much embodies everything that a seasoned photographer despises about new cameras, but i have to admit this little gizmo is a lot of fun to play around with.

Ill give it a full 5 out of 5 stars because while the image quality is not to my snobby DSLR user standard, it is 100% everything she was looking for, she absolutly loves it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very cool camera, June 17, 2009
The pictures from this camera are very clear, and the touch screen is a nice feature. The one thing I would recommend is that you buy memory, as the internal memory in the camera is extremely low.The high resolution of the pictures take up a lot of space. This camera is very tiny so I could see how some people complained about the touch screen but I have normal sized fingers and got the hang of it quickly. The camera is slightly larger than a Motorola razor, is very thin and ultra portable, but it seems that a drop could demolish it. But all things aside I am very pleased with it. if you are looking for something that can take abuse try the Olympus stylus tough 8000 I hear that it can take abuse like a UFC fighter. The Sony how ever has excellent picture quality, and is very easy to use and carry around. I gave it four stars because it does not seem like it could survive abuse, so I would not recommend this for a child. But if you would like a cool high resolution camera with a good lens and lots of little practical design features for under 300 dollars this is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, May 23, 2009
This camera is amazing!! It's so small and thing, so easy to use as well. it's not complicated with all these buttons and what makes it easier is that this camera has automatic shooting...where if u went outside, it'd automatically go to "landscape" mode or to where ur taking a picture of one person only, it'd change to "portrait". I love it! It's easy to also switch to several megapixel sizes so you can load pictures easier on computer and the quality is the same no matter what the size is! Beautiful pictures and works beautifully without flash for video and pictures at night time. Colors are captured amazingly. Best camera Ive ever gotten. You wont be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars simply amazing!, June 2, 2009
This a trully automatic camera! No need to fiddle with setting, just leave it on auto mode and you'll have great pictures!

I got T90 instead of canon is780. Canon is780 was hard to turn on and the pictures were so so.

What I like about t90:
1. Movies are great, full HD, small in size and you can use optical zoom while shooting movies!!!

2. Auto mode really does work on this camera. It detects the best settings for the shot PLUS it takes two pictures with two best possible settings!!! This is really handy when shooting with low light.

3. Big lcd screen, love it!

4.Picture quality is comparable to SLR cameras.

5.The form of this camera makes it very easy and convenient to use. Very well made!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best camera i've ever bought, August 4, 2009
I purchased the DSCT90/B last month and i'm still learning new things every time i use it. Its the smallest camera sony has ever made along with the T50 and T900 but it does wonders. I would rate 4 stars on indoor pictures but 5/5 on outdoors. The video quality is extremely good. I recently recorded a group of friends playing tennis and with the constant movement, the video turned out fantastic. The touch screen is also very good. Just need to clean the screen once in a while but other than that all the features are extremely helpful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great photos, but bad construction, February 7, 2010

I have other touch-screen devises (iphone, blackberry, etc.) and have never head a problem. The screen on this camera feels different though; it flexes when you touch it. Since most of the camera's controls are operated through the screen (as well as the viewfinder), when it's cracked the camera is basically worthless. Also, because you have to be so careful with it, you don't use it as much as you might other cameras.

I will not be buying this camera again; I'll get one that has a more solid construction.

Hope this is helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera!, May 18, 2009
This camera takes great pictures in all kinds of light. The smile detector actually works! You don't even have to press the button. When it's set for smile detection you aim the camera and voila! The camera is small enough to fit in your purse and go everywhere with you. It also has a nice size viewing screen. The zoom is very easy to use because there's a button that moves back and forth, not like my old camera where you had to go to the menu to get the zoom. It takes a while to get used to all the functions of the touch screen, but once you learn, it's worth it!