Color: SilverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If money is not everything and you do not mind spending a few hundred dollars extra then you will find this Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-TX200V ultra-slim, ultra-light a "perfect" choice which offers very unique features that makes this the best `point & shoot' camera product of the year 2012! ...

Here is why...

Image resolution & Movie recording:
-----------------------------------
This tiny shiny camera boasts 18.2 MP resolution image captures which is the highest resolution till date of any point and shoot camera of this size. It also captures very smooth `optically stabilized' video up-to 1080p/60 true HD AVCHD movies in stereo AC3 sound at the same time allowing user to capture stills [16:9] seamlessly while taking movies which is very impressive and useful feature indeed.

Perfect looking stills every time. Thanks to various built-in camera post processing. Almost if not every photo I have taken so far has come out perfect. No blurry images No shake. Excellent results every single time.

Practical use of a point & Shoot:
---------------------------------
How many times you wished that you take a video of that special Birthday moment of your child while at the same time wished to have a high resolution still image of the moment to cherish later? Well, Sony got that it right this time. You no longer have to juggle a camcorder and bulky DSLR with plethora of lens attachments, this `simple looking' lightweight stylish point and shoot camera does it all effortlessly.

Waterproof - Peace of mind!
---------------------------
The Camera is waterproof! - Yay! The specs say up-to 5 meters and can operate underwater for full hour of underwater photography! - Very impressive indeed. But for most users may not really use the camera underwater. What it gives to a general user is peace of mind that if you accidently drop this in pool or get wet in the rain it will not damage the camera.

Creative and Macro Photography:
-------------------------------
Very Impressive Macro photos, I must say it is truly amazing how close you can get to the subject to take those beautiful looking Macro photos. I have used Canon EOS 60D  before; I must say it is very close to the DSLR quality when it comes to macro photography without any need of special lenses or contraptions. You can use the "Defocus Effect" feature to get those professional looking close-ups that otherwise takes a lot of photography experience and expensive lenses and contraptions. This simple point and shoot camera does it beautifully and effortlessly. - Impressive!

Memory card:
------------
I used SanDisk microSDHC 32GB Flash Memory Card (Retail Packaging) SDSDQM-032G-B35,Black with this camera and found the memory card fully compatible. I did not try any other microSD/SDHC memory card. It accepted the 32GB capacity just fine. I however wished that it accepted standard SD cards which are faster and cheaper these days. I am not sure why SONY decided to go with microSD/SDHC cards with this camera.

Battery life:
-------------
The battery life is good, In real life test I wished that it could have given me more but I got about 195 photos under 3 hours before it gave up on me. The OLED screen display has various options to conserve battery, I have found that if I use a "Darker" menu theme the OLED screen consumes less power and you get more juice out of the battery and also turn off the GPS feature if you do not want location data for your photos.

PROS:
[+] The sleekest waterproof point & shoot camera on the market.
[+] Takes beautiful stills & amazing looking Macro still photos.
[+] Takes very good high quality movie captures in HD 1080p/60 and still simultaneously.
[+] GPS enabled location markers for your photos!
[+] Ultra compact and extremely lightweight makes it easy to carry anywhere.

CONS:
[-] Battery compartment is fragile and does not look well built; it will eventually break sooner or later.
[-] Accepts MicroSD/SDHC cards only instead of standard SD/SDHC cards which are a big bummer! As most MicroSD cards are expensive and run at slower speed than standard SD/SDHC cards.
[-] USB and HDMI interfaces are tucked inside the battery compartment which will take toll on the battery compartment each time you need to charge the camera and or transfer photos.
[-] Front Face and rear OLED Screen are prone to dust and scratches.
[-] The W/T (Zoom) lever is placed at odd location which is difficult to use and feels fragile.

Having said, the major issue with this camera is the price. Most of the CONs mentioned above can be lived with by carefully handling the camera, but the price is something that most users will have to think twice before shelling out hard cash for this tiny shiny ultra slim point & shoot camera.

If money is not an issue for you and want portability without sacrificing picture quality this will be the best point and shoot camera you can buy today.

Hope this review was useful to you. If you have any questions or comments please feel free to let me know and I will try to answer them for you.

Happy Shopping!
review image review image review image review image review image
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 25, 2012
I shot this video to show the waterproof pouch that I use when I take the camera to the beach. I'm trying to show it in the mirror at the beginning of the video, though not so successfully. I also wanted to show what a stunning video this tiny camera can take, but it won't happen here. You can search for "tx200v Parke Ronen" on YouTube, and you'll find the original in HD. BTW, Parke & Ronen is the brand of trunks I was wearing that day. It works ;-)

If you want to see what kind of silly video one ends up taking with this camera, search for "tx200v River Rafting Valencia".

MY TAKE ON THE CAMERA

This is the only one in its class that can go from kayaking to clubbing in style. Cool!

Compact, easy to use, and fun to play with. The pictures and the videos are impressive. Reviewing and sharing the images on that tiny screen is incredibly fun. They just look amazing.

SHOOTING

Most of the time, I just turn the camera on, compose, and press the shutter button. The camera starts up pretty fast, except when it reminds you to keep the water seal clean (annoying). The camera does an excellent job of adjusting for day, night, portrait, landscape, etc, which you would expect from this caliber of camera. It hangs a little after taking a picture, though you can still continue taking pictures, just without previews. I have not noticed any motion blur from pressing the shutter.

In advanced modes the camera does get sluggish and will refuse to do anything until it finishes processing the image. But considering what it does under difficult lighting condition and the resulting image, I think it's worth it.

VIDEO

To take a video, I just tap the red dot labeled "Movie" on the touch screen. It's really that simple. Zoom speed is fixed (bummer). Audio is great for casual events but not for recitals (background noise will ruin it).

PREVIEW

Preview pictures look vivid, maybe too much, and sometimes appear tinted or mosaic as a result. They are fine when you transfer them to the computer. Selecting and zooming into a picture on the camera is awkward. Finger gesture on the touch screen is limited. This is not an Apple.

INTERFACE

I noticed myself experimenting with this camera a lot more than with my old one. Exposure, panorama, high contrast (HDR), twilight, rich-tone monochrome (I never thought I would use that one) and other features are easy to access and use, thanks to the touch screen. It's intuitive, the options are clearly labeled, and mini-help is only a few taps away. I would refuse to go back to clunky menu and cursor buttons again.

BTW, this camera does not have aperture control or shutter speed. Only ISO. You control the camera primarily by task.

WATERPROOF

I don't have much faith in it. The majority of complaints, especially the bitter ones, for these types of camera are related to water damage. I have a waterproof pouch for my iPhone (up to 100 ft). When I go to the beach, I just put the camera in that pouch. Controls are a little unwieldy (use "Movie Mode" to take videos using the shutter button) and flash bounces off the shield, but the camera is protected from water and sand (scratches) and doesn't need to be cleaned afterwards. I posted a picture of it in the "View and share related images" section.

SMUDGE

The camera does collect smudge (cosmetics and sun blocks are the worst), and it shows. It's actually not as much of a problem as it may seem. I learned to handle the camera by its edge. Since the lens area is essentially a piece of glass, it's easy to keep clean. As far as the touch screen is concerned, I learned to live with some smudge. It's just unavoidable. Since the camera is "waterproof", cleaning it is easy and carefree. I also applied the protector for Nitendo DSi XL's lower screen on the touch screen. Width is perfect, though I had to trim the height.

BATTERY

I call it a day battery. As long as I don't take any video, I can comfortably go though an entire day taking a bunch of pictures (sometimes >100) and reviewing and sharing them. The battery is tiny, so it's easy to carry a spare.

I would recommend an external battery charger. A much more elegant way to charge a battery than tying up the camera with a USB cable for hours with the battery compartment open and the water seal exposed.

AC MODE

Start recording a video, then plug the camera into a USB charger (not a computer), and stop recording. Voila. You have a fully operational camera running on AC. Handy for recording extended video.

CLOSING

This is the first time I bought a Sony camera. Very happy with it. I finally feel like I entered the world of HD video, in a very nice way, and the pictures are amazing.

Hope this review is helpful :-) Please let me know.
review image review image review image
VINE VOICEon May 25, 2012
Color: SilverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Ok, so I really wanted to love this little camera but it's fighting me very step of the way. My main problems are:

Cons:

This camera uses a microSD card instead of a regular SD card. Why?! Who thinks an SD card is so big you need a microSD card? For both my acer laptop & my macbook pro (which both have sd card slots) I have to use an SD card adapter to read an microSD card. It's just silly. Plus they are more $$ an slower.

On top of that, the slot in the camera that takes the microSD card allows you to put the card in backwards and the camera doesn't tell you until you try to shoot some video - as there is internal storage for stills. A regular SD card is notched so that you can't put it in wrong. This is just a huge error.

I took the camera to a museum opening. The stills came out great, really nice. But nearly every video I shot was blurry. It was like the Sony Camera was trying to "track the focus" too aggressively and thus whenever I would move the camera while shooting video, the focus would go our of whack until I stopped moving for a few seconds. In the end, nearly every video I shot was useless.

I also used it in the pool. The stills & video came out very nice but I had a real problem using the touch screen in the water. Several times it was almost impossible to "touch" the video record icon - and as there is no longer a hard button for video recording, this is sort of a big problem.

Instead of the usual single device battery charger Sony used to ship, now you get a USB charger and a USB cable. So charging your battery on the road means having to carry a cable and an adapter instead of just the cable. Ick.

Pros:

The camera is sturdy and solid, seems well built. When you turn it on, a little internal lens cover opens to reveal the lens. Nicely touch.

The still I shot all came out great. I used a variety of modes and this was in a fairly dark museum setting. Very impresses here.

The touch screen is much more responsive than previous versions of this camera and the interface has been refined / improved. Also, you can lock the touch icons to keep from changing settings accidentally.

Summation: I am going to have to try more video. Maybe I did something but I doubt it, I shoot a lot of video and stills and I use a lot of Sony cameras. Maybe the museum was too dark for the focus to set properly. I was very disappointed in the blurry video.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is an awesome little point and shoot; I am tempted to call it the best, but for a few design details which I will get to.

The upsides (for me) are:

~18 megapixels! Shoot first, zoom and crop later! Works wonderfully. There is lots of room for high res photos after major zoomage. With the right photo editing software, it's the equiviant of a huge, strong zoom lens but without the weight or bulk!
~In-camera color saturation and exposure controls!
~Waterproof, dustproof & freezeproof!
~Fast boot-up, and quick focusing.
~Quick boot up of your shots for review
~User friendly - in camera help menus even with keyword search
~Larger (3.3 inch), bright, high resolution screen

The downsides (for me)

~Not shockproof - a serious design omission. I hike, scramble on rocks a bit, take pictures of rock formations, insects, mountain summit views, creek ice crystals--nature stuff (as well as portraiture, and family and friends). I do not treat my beloved equipment roughly, but don't want to have to treat them like little soap bubbles either! I own (and love) the TX-200's predecessor, the TX-10, (16 megapixels) which is shock-proof (waterproof etc) and sturdy.
~Expensive. At $500, it's above & beyond all the other point and shoots, ruggedized and otherwise.
~Has okay but not great macro capability. Again, I am comparing it to my trusty TX-10 which focuses down to an awesome 1 centimeter (about 5/8 inch), and the TX-200 only goes down to 3 centimeters. But if you are not into serious macro close ups, of course this will not be an issue for you! :-)
~You can NOT tuck in into a back pocket of your favorite jeans (Cargo pockets, or belt cases only!) It does flex and bend, and does not like this.

I am not interested in a "sleek and stylish" poolside / party camera. Is this a creative tool, a viewer into magical worlds, a documenter of cherished events, or a stylish pendant? For me, it is the first three.

I very carefully wrapped and glued my TX-200 in neoprene (spongy wetsuit materal), on all the non-functional surfaces. Now it is not pretty at all, and way more sturdy and shockproof. (So much for the stylish fragile glass front!) For $500, I wish Sony had done this for me.

So to summarize this bit--I wouild love for Sony to have made it heavier, bigger, more durable and sturdy, more an adventure camera like the Nikon AW-100, or the Canon. --- What good is a full featured, creative, user friendly tool (especially one as pricey as this) if it's going to die in six months from a two foot drop?

Okay, enough preaching from the pulpit. I do appreciate this little camera immensely. It has wonderful instructions and explanations built in, even a keyword search function, it has background defocus, and it has HD movies at 60 frames per second, and it has a bigger (3.3 inch diagonal) screen with top-end resolution, which you can brighten as is your wont. It has a terrific picture review zoom function (onscreen) where you can get a tantalizing fortaste of fun on the computer, with photo editing (which I love!) And it (like all little point and shoots) is a camera you DO take with you. If you don't take the camera, you don't get the shot!

I have Sony's flagship smaller camera, the NX-7 (24 MP, interchangeable lenses, DSLR functions, etc) ....and my little TX's still get used plenty --- they are not mothballed or eclipsed by any stretch!

It (the TX-200) has almost all functions as touch screen buttons, which has its upsides and downsides for me. Some people go crazy about touch screen functionality (try it in the winter with gloves on, at 8500 feet and a 15 mph wind chill! :-) ) so I will note it as a positive and negative with a sum total of a slight plus.

So to summarize --- if you can afford the hefty price tag, and if you don't mind a (comparitively) fragile, nonrugged camera, this is an awesome little friend -- spectacular photos, ease of use, waterproof, full functions. I will give this little buddy 4.8 stars!
on April 23, 2012
When i buy cameras or any other imaging equipment to preserve memories i usually try not to look at the price because sometimes it hurts to see it but there's no way you can retake another picture of your child, mother, father, loved one, a pet... 10 years later when you will look at history and when it will start matter to you more and more you probably would think why you didn't buy a better camera so you don't have so many blurry or dark or simply bad shots... This camera is totally awesome - image quality is amazing, panorama shots are awesome, especially in 3D and HD, total WOW! Love GPS feature - i used to carry around little sony GPS module with me while shooting pictures so i can geotag them later and now camera does it for me, sweet! Video is actually better than i thought it would be, it's pretty impressive and smooth, clear, vivid and image stabilizer is also amazing - actually better than most of the camcorders i owned before and it shoots in 1080p. i used to have few casios, kodaks and cannons but i found sony does an amazing job reproducing color and features are also great! Well, still cannot compare to DSLR but some modes let you shoot with background blur. Shots in the dark are also come out fairly crisp.

Some might complain about not having a remote - remotes are obsolete, your smile is your remote and it makes pictures even better with smile! i just put camera somewhere (a tree, a tripod, a trash bin, a fence - you can find something to put camera on pretty much anywhere) my smile shutter is always on so all i meed to do is to smile to my camera and it takes pictures, this is actually much funner way of taking pictures. i have never had a burning need for a remote and actually prefer to live without it since i don't want another thing to carry in my pocket. I have a DSLR with remotes but those rarely leave the house because of the bulkiness. i am looking forward to test it out under water when we'll go snorkeling, feels little weird taking camera under water without a case ;)
on April 23, 2013
I ensured that the battery housing was sealed before it was submerged. Completely dead now. $400 bucks wasted and no pictures of my vacation. Farts.
VINE VOICEon July 18, 2012
Color: SilverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When people see this camera, people go "oOoooOooOO". I also used to work in camera sales, and when customers saw this on display, that was pretty much always the reaction. There's just no denying that the look is very sleek and sexy. There is no other competition out there. All the other waterproof cameras out there are pretty big and ugly... I've tried them. (Let me just say the ugliest design goes to the Pentax Optio WG-1)

Even without considering the waterproof, this is still one of the sexiest slim cameras. It's kind of bad because it just looks so nice that I would hate to get sand or dirty liquid on it! I just want to keep it looking nice and shiny.

Pros:
- Sexy design and portability. All other waterproof cameras look like toys. This is a porsche!
- Waterproof
- Panorama - Sony has the best Panorama feature hands down - other brands do not come close to the way Sony handles automatically stitching pictures together easily.
- Great for quick shooting - fast bootup and shutter
- You can customize up to 4 quick shortcuts on the left side of the menu screen (such as movie recording, flash, iso, resolution)
- Good for Beginners/Dumb-proof Beginner Friendly - Photo creativity mode lets you scroll by going up/down on the bright/dark, warm/cool, add picture effects like color isolation, toy/pop camera, soft/high key colors); if you don't know what ISO or aperture is, you'll love it.

I own a Canon S100 and Sony HX30V - both with their OEM cases Canon PSC-900 and Sony LCJHK- and DSLR with shoulder sling, but I still find it the most convenient and fastest to shoot with this TX200 camera. I can have this camera in a shirt or back pocket because of its slimness and I don't need to wait for the lens to retract. The seamless lens cover just slides down quickly and ready to shoot. I also like it being low profile, so it won't be embarrassing taking pictures with it.

- Touch focus. Although I'm not that much of a fan of touchscreen, just pressing on a subject you want to focus on works pretty well

Cons:
I agree with many of the Cons that other people have mentioned
- microSD: this camera has enough room to take the regular SD card.
- the microSD can be inserted in the wrong orientation - it should only fit one way for no confusion
- battery compartment latch doesn't seem as secure as other waterproof cameras; if you're not careful you might easily slide it open. Other brands have at least two secure locking systems.
- if you're used to the luxury of the iPod touchscreens, the touch screen response will seem a bit sluggish
- No manual controls - there is just a Program Auto Mode to adjust ISO and exposure value. This is truly a pocketable on-the-go point-and-shoot camera.
- Not shockproof like other waterproof cameras

The size of this camera and quick turn-on makes it convenient to always have with you no matter where you are. Rainy day? Going swimming? You can still take this out and shoot.Whether going to a nice dinner at a restaurant or going to the beach for fun, the design/size and features makes it suitable no matter what the occasion is. I definitely would feel a little weird taking out the dolphin-like Canon D20 at a dinner table.

If you don't need the waterproof, Sony also offers the Sony DSC-TX66 which is even incredibly thinner; however, it does not have a standard tripod mount because of its thinness and is not available in black. This camera also has a much better macro than the TX66.

Yes, the price is steep... you could be spending a little bit more and get an entry level DSLR and get better pictures; however, a bulky camera that you won't be carrying around half the time, sitting in a closet only for those "important days", and not be able to use on-the-go (rainy day, or whatnot) -- not being able to capture all those precious moments you wanted to get would not be a good investment. Although smartphones have cameras as well and may seem great on-the-go, the quality and capture speed is still not up there. Overall, I enjoy having this camera being a great everyday use camera.

As far as extra accessories go, I highly recommend the JOBY GorillaPod Micro 250 Gray - the black/gray and portability goes great with this camera.
on July 10, 2012
Those complaining about video quality are not using fast memory cards. A cheap memory card will not have proper recording at higher resolutions because the camera cannot write fast enough to it.

The picture quality is really good. The battery meter leaves a lot to be desired. It can be at 1 bar, turn it off for 2 seconds and back on and it will be at 3 bars. GPS seems to take forever to lock on. picture capture is great, video is great. Only thing I don't like is that you can't control PS from your computer. You have to do it from the camera itself.

BE AWARE: IF YOUR CAMERA HAS PROBLEMS, SONY WILL NOT SHIP TO A PO BOX. Not a good thing for me. I have a building number and a room number, which can't be shipped to. The only shipping address I have now is a PO Box. They are doing nothing for me. They can't authorize shipment to be held at a FEDEX location and they won't allow me to just get a new one from a local store. Their technical support is essentially useless.
on May 23, 2012
Color: SilverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm a longtime Panasonic camera guy. I have a couple small pocket ones, and a Panasonic Lumix Super-zoom, and have been very happy with all of them. Pitting them (mostly the higher end, super-zoom Panasonic) against this Sony seemed a little unfair, but I didn't mind the unfairness enough to let it stop me.

First of all, the Panasonic has a quality lense that about 4 times the size of this one. While I'm certainly not an expert in all things camera, I have noticed one thing: given high quality lenses, the bigger one is usually better at something. However, this little Sony, smaller, easier to carry around, and much more attractive takes AMAZING pictures, sometimes right on line with the Panasonic, but usually better. Low-light conditions are equally amazing - no pixelation or blurriness.

Another great thing about this little guy is that, from the time you press the power button to the time you press the shutter button, you can do it all in just about 2 seconds (maybe a tiny bit less.) Granted, that's an unscientific test from me trying it out while watching the second hand tick, but really: when you press power, the camera is ready to get down to business.

However, depending on the picture (and I'm not just talking about the special effects like "illustration" that makes things look like comic books or panoramas, but even in Intelligent Auto mode), you might not be able to take rapid-fire pictures. Case in point: when shooting in low-light, the auto mode did everything for me and took a great picture, but after taking it (and before showing me what it took), there was "Processing..." on the screen for a couple seconds. Whatever it's doing when processing makes the picture look great, but there is a lag between your next picture possibility.

On the same token, while the video also looks great, regardless of battery power remaining or amount of memory remaining, the video is limited to 29 minutes. While this means that I won't replace my Kodak PlaySport (Zx3) HD Waterproof Pocket Video Camera (Black) for use as my dash-mount car-cam, it certainly isn't a deal killer. Plus, the waterproofing means I can take this Sony anywhere that I'd otherwise have to take a Panasonic (great stills, video, but bulky AND the Kodak (bad stills, good video, waterproof) - overall, a huge win.

One comment on the touch-screen: I had a touch-screen Fuji camera that was a total failure. The menu's were horrible, the touching barely worked, and the entire thing seemed like a fluke. This Sony? The menu's are very intuitive, the touching works *almost* everytime, and now going back to the dial and small arrow keys of the Panasonic seems like I'm going back in time.

At the end of the day, this is now my "default" camera. Very few negatives to speak of: I had to buy a new microSD card, even though I have standard SD cards laying around; the zoom is somewhat difficult to engage because the knobs' position and size; it's one of the coolest looking cameras I've seen, so somebody is probably going to try to steal it; I now feel a little disloyal to Panasonic, after years of a friendly relationship... but given the quality of Sony, I think I found a new loyalty.

Highly recommended. The photo modes are a novelty (make people look like comic book characters; take black and white pictures, but extract 1 color...black,white,and red, for example; watercolor, etc), but they are tremendously fun and depending on the picture, actually make the photo better than just the norm.

**UPDATE, 8/25/2012**
Down to 3 stars from 4. Turns out, the video on this thing is absolutely horrible. My Kodak PlaySport Waterproof Pocket Video Camera  takes much, MUCH better video. The biggest problem with the Sony? If you move, or your subject moves (as in, you know...motion), you get nasty horizontal line shifting in and out all over the place. There's probably a technical term for it, but all-in-all, it makes the video feature pretty worthless if you want to show it to somebody else. The second biggest problem with the video on this? The color saturation. It's just not there: the Kodak has it (less than 100 bucks), and the Panasonic has it...this one does not.

And now, after extensive usage from it, there are two other major faults, in addition to the video capabilities being horrible. (1) The overall quality of the still photos, in many scenarios, is actually far less than the previously mentioned Panasonic. In some settings (plenty of ambient, but not direct light), it looks on par...in low light, it still does great. But day to day pictures, Panasonic is far superior when it comes to image quality. (2) When I take a picture in "Intelligent Auto" mode or the other "Super Intelligent" or whatever, after each picture, it sits there with a "Processing..." screen. It takes a LONG time to snap pictures rapidly.
on January 4, 2013
This camera has a lot of nice features but it's unable to take good photos or videos.

If you take a picture with flash, is very likely that you're going to get a blue flare in the upper right corner and white faces.

It's a battery sucker!

Don't waste your money buying this camera, the older models like TX10 or TX20 are way better (and cheaper).