5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera At An Affordable Price
Published on March 22, 2012 by K. Abbas

Published 12 months ago by L. Gottlieb

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera At An Affordable Price, March 22, 2012
Camera is compact and light weight. It has all the basic features you would need for great pictures and it is fairly easy to use. I was able to play with it for less than 5 minutes and have all the controls figured out without looking at a manual. The battery life seems great as I just got back from a week long vacation and after snapping over 150 photos I still have almost a full battery. I am also very impressed with how great my pictures turned out, vivid colors and great contrast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for the price, May 30, 2012
D. Thierry (Rolle, Suisse) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W650 16.1 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom and 3.0-Inch LCD (Black) (2012 Model) (Electronics)
I purchased this product as I planned a last-minute visit to the Niagara Falls and, being on a business trip, I had nothing else to immortalize this moment than my smartphone and its lousy camera. After unpacking it, I first tried it indoors and was not impressed at all: mediocre yellowish pictures, noisy and grainy. I tried to disable the (weak) flash and it got worse. I was tempted to return it immediately but decided to give it a try outdoors. When I started to shoot the falls, I became very quickly addicted to this litte gizmo. In most of the cases, the camera is able to deal with the subject, although I would recommend the usage of the advanced scene mode: facing violent contrasts, the camera shoots automatically twice with different exposure parameters, which increases the odds to get a good shot. Smart.

The exposure can be easily fixed manually, using the "manual" mode (in fact, an automatic mode that can be adjusted). In a matter of seconds, over-exposed white water on dark rocks takes texture, to the droplet. It is a bit of trial and error, but delivers quick results. The panorama function works very well, delivery much better pictures than the lousy prints available in the souvenir shop. I also gave it a chance to show how it works with video: better than average sound (if not too much wind), functional and silent zoom and again, surprising image quality. As the light changed due to overcast clouds, I adjusted the settings and the camera obediently followed, again delivering satisfying stills. The zoom works fine. It's not a super-zoom but the resolution is good enough to enable enlargement on the PC.

Happy with the outdoor quality, I decided to give it another try indoors, using the advanced mode P. To my surprise, the various settings, including several white balance modes, enabled to fix the initial issues and I got noise-free, decent-quality pictures under artificial lighting. I fumbled a bit with the flash and while I find it a bit rough, it's within expectations.

Outdoor picture quality is really great for the price - I was really positively surprised by the sharpness and color quality, which is still far from SLR standards but surprising for a compact. The autofocus is decent, shutter speed good, transfer speed correct. The camera behaves predictably. It is more limited indoors but still very decent once one gets used to it. I was not disturbed by the lack of functionality to adjust speed or aperture as I'm using it for point-and-shoot, which it does pretty well in general. It's not a function-rich camera, but what's built in is useful and working well (the online manual may need some polishing though).

I'm giving it five stars because this Sony camera exceeds consistently my value-for-money expectations. It cannot be a substitute for more serious hardware (I own a Sony Alpha and my wife is a NEX user) but it is definitively the camera I will take on business trips or in my breast pocket for a casual walk in the park.

4.0 out of 5 stars awesome!, March 3, 2012
So the image quality isn't perfect- but it's pretty darn close (the only reason this camera got 4 stars instead of 5). I like taking pictures with it. The menu features are really easy to figure out, so it's no trouble changing the settings to my liking. My favorite part of the camera? the Panorama view- I think Sony was genius with that addition! Definitely worth the money- and Sony has a pretty good name in cameras so you know it's a good investment. Total bonus- I love that my camera is red- not just boring black or silver.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, June 21, 2012
This purchase was great. Sony always delivers amazing quality. The camera has some great features and is state of the art. The bundle is a nice deal price-wise; The memory card has more than enough capacity and the case is OK (It's not as nice as others, but it's good for keeping the camera safe). I recomend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera, June 9, 2012
This a wonderful camera. Camera is compact and light weight. 16 megapixels. You will get a GREAT camera for a little over $100.Very easy to use, takes amazing pictures for the price and size. I would highly recommend anyone buying this camera. it takes video, and panoramic pictures. fast shipping.

5.0 out of 5 stars great pix, easy to change modes, May 22, 2012
This is one of the best cameras I have owned. It takes wonderful pictures and videos. Changing modes is as easy as sliding the button up or down. I loved it so much that when my adult son asked for a camera for his birthday I didn't even have to shop, there was no doubt which one he was getting. So we each have one and can not sing it's praises loud enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nifty Camera, June 11, 2012
This is a fantastic camera in it's price class. I was surprised by it's size ( as small as a cell phone ) but with that said, it packs alot of punch. Takes great pictures and is easy to operate. The only drawback is low light pictures aren't as sharp as could be. All in all you get alot for the money with this Sony,

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible camera for taking pics of your kids or in low lighting, April 10, 2013
I got this as a gift and it is the worst camera I've had in years. Almost all photos indoors take forever to shoot and its a long lag between taking shots. As a result, you will never get the picture of your child you were aiming for. I've missed more great shots with this camera than I can count. I've gone back to using my iPhone because its honestly a better camera for getting the right picture of my kids.

If you will be taking pictures of statues in perfect sunlight, it's fine, but anything moving and without direct sunlight, this camera is pretty much a paperweight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera !, January 2, 2013
This is my second Sony in this series. Both have taken 1000s of photos. The first one I dropped (my fault) and broke the viewing screen. I like d the Sony so I got a newer updated version with equally great results. The only little thing is the on/off switch should have a little more of a bump on it so you can feel it and not have to hunt for it the press it.

I give it a 99.99999999% rating. Buy one !

5.0 out of 5 stars Pocket perfect, May 18, 2012
Great deal in a small package flash on still shots is a bit over the top but for the price it's a great cam...

ARRAY(0x981bfe58)