4.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive Sony SuperZoom
Published 22 months ago by RSD

Published 21 months ago by Andrea Polk

4.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive Sony SuperZoom, February 21, 2013
This review is from: Sony Cybershot H200 Black 20.1MP 26X (OLD MODEL) (Electronics)
This camera was pre-ordered from Sony and it arrived yesterday (2/20/13). I have been very impressed with the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-TX10 that I bought here at Amazon a little over a year ago in their "Today's Deals" that it might be worth the shot to give this a try. The software and hardware components must be very similar since the interface and pictures that both cameras produce tend to be very similar too which can be both good and not quite so good.
The good:
1. Tough to beat 20.1MP and 26X optical zoom in this price range plus Sony quality.
1. Not that I intend to use it but "Face detection" works really well in timer mode; there is even a "Blink" alert.
2. Very good pictures if you back down the EV -0.7 in both "Program Auto" and "iSCN+".
3. Panorama mode has "Standard", "Wide" and "360" which is very easy to use.
4. AA batteries !!! They are available everywhere no matter how remote a destination you go.
5. Very easy to use for non-camera people.
6. Beautiful rear display.
7. DRO, Dynamic Range Optimization which is supposed to optimize the difference between light and dark parts of the subject seems to work really well.

The not so good:
1, The colors are slightly brighter than life so I use the Program Auto mode to correct this and bring the EV down to -0.7 which is not perfect but quite satisfactory. The setting does not keep in "iSCN+" mode.
2. No hot shoe.
3. No High Resolution Panorama mode like the DSC-TX10. The high resolution panorama mode gives you a 43MP panoramic image; this H200 is not even close at 5+MP.
4. No Superior Auto Mode like the DSC-TX10. I have not done a side by side comparison with this camera and the DSC-TX10 but I like this feature.
In Superior Auto mode, the camera shoots burst images based on the recognized scene, then creates a composite of the burst images (Overlay shooting). The camera automatically corrects the backlight and reduces noise by overlaying images, so a higher quality image results.

I look forward to leaving the heavy expensive lenses associated with the SLR with realistic expectations and will update this review as more experience is gained with this camera.

Update 3/21/2013:
I added some pics on the "customer images" showing exposure differences and a few pics taken with this camera.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, easy to use, but there are better ones - UPDATED 12/7/13, April 2, 2013
Andrea Polk (Pacific Northwest - USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I received this camera from the Amazon Vine reviewer program. Unlike many of the reviewers, I'll not be going into lots of technical information with my review. While I have used many digital cameras, I don't consider myself a photographer, but rather someone who delights in great photographs. I am typical of a digital age intermediate user who snaps photos of scenery, pets, family and life events.

Supplied in the box was the Sony DSC-H200 Digital Camera with 3" LCD, a Sony shoulder strap, lens cap, lens cap strap, USB cable connector and 4 AA batteries (non-rechargeable).

I inserted a SanDisk 16 GB Class 4 SDHC Flash Memory Card SDSDB-016G-AFFP card I had on hand to check out the camera, but would recommend a SanDisk Extreme 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 45MB/s SDSDX-032G-AFFP card for optimizing the camera's performance.

First Impressions:
The camera is substantial in size - not one you'll toss in a bag or be able to fit into a pocket - and it doesn't come with a case so that will be a recommended purchase along with your SDHC memory card, and perhaps some Energizer CHP4WB4 Recharge Smart AA/AAA Charger with 4 AA NiMH Batteries which are supported. Ni-Cd batteries will not work with this camera and are not supported, nor are lithium and manganese batteries. (Approximately 350 shots are estimated on one set of fresh AA batteries.)

Made in China, the build quality of the camera is on par with others at this price point, but actually seems less well made than another older camera I own, Olympus SP-800UZ 14MP Digital Camera with 30x Wide Angle Dual Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0 inch LCD which is similar in size and features.

There is more plastic than metal on this camera; housing and controls, and the weight of it is in the lens and LCD 3" display. There is no separate viewfinder on this camera, which while quite common these days, means that if your LCD goes out - you have no way of seeing what you're taking a picture of with the camera (assuming it's still operable).

Basic Operations:
Easy to set-up the directions are small, but clear and easy to follow.

Entry level users will like the ability to get started quickly with this camera and that you can shoot both still images and movies in 720p (up to 29 minutes with large capacity SDHC memory card). The ability to shoot panorama shooting scenes with this camera is a nice addition too, and it works well.

Scene selection is easy from the pre-sets, or you can leave it on 'auto' easy mode. Picture effects allow you to shoot photos with special looks that otherwise would take some tweaking with software.

Extracted color is fun. You can select one area of a photo to bring out the color with the rest of the photo in grayscale or muted colors.

Automatic smile detection sensitivity can be adjusted, which is helpful if you're dealing with subject that tend to grin more than openly smile! There is also automatic blink detection, which may be somewhat inaccurate if your subjects have a big grin or eyes that tend to get 'squinty' when they smile.

Scene recognition automatically detects your shooting environment and adjusts accordingly. This works fairly well, but you may find color adjustments are brighter than what you're used to seeing. This is something that's easily fixed with software on your PC though.

For more advanced users, you can adjust the ISO, white balance, brightness, contrast, etc..., too.

LCD Viewing:
The 3" LCD is one of the best features of this camera. Images and videos are easy to view, retouch or delete using this viewer. Subjects are clear and easy for most to see, versus a traditional viewfinder.

OS Compatibility Mentioned in Directions:
There is 'Play Memories Home' software that can be downloaded (see directions) to allow you to import still images and movies from your camera to be viewed and shared on your Windows PC.

Mac operating systems are not supported, however that just means you can't use thee Play Memories Home software, not that you can't use the camera and do the same thing via your memory card and other software with both PCs and Macs.

Likes and Dislikes After Use:
I like that this camera is affordable, easy to use and has such a HUGE 26X optical zoom combined with 20.1 megapixels! I also like that it's comfortable to hold and that it produces stills that richly reproduce colors. I like its super-zoom, rapid fire shooting and panoramic mode capabilities.

What I disliked was how poorly this camera did with macro (close-up) and low light (flash is available, but didn't deploy accurately) still photos on auto setting, and its poor video quality.

NOTE: Per another reviewer (see comments), this camera does have image stabilization and worked well without a tripod. My own tests of zooming and snapping from a distance yielded mixed results, however as is always the case - could be user error more than the camera.

For those looking for a digital camera with excellent zoom capabilities, this is a good buy. Others who want a camera that's an excellent overall performer and are less concerned with the zoom feature, may want to keep looking at the broad range of digital cameras at this price point.

Personal recommendation for another similar digital camera option: Panasonic Lumix LZ30 16.1MP Digital Camera with 35x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3-Inch LCD (Black) which while having fewer megapixels, has a great zoom and performs well overall.

UPDATE: 12/7/13

Right now I'd recommend the Fujifilm FinePix SL300 14 MP Digital Camera with 30x Optical Zoom (Black) - the one I own for a sub two hundred dollar camera. I have enjoyed the quality of the photos I get from it and my other current favorite: Fujifilm FinePix HS50EXR 16MP Digital Camera with 3-Inch LCD (Black), which is about twice as expensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Starter Camera, March 28, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've played around with the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H200 for the past three days, to get a feel of it and I'm truly impressed.

I have several cameras that I use quite often and they all cost several times the amount of this camera, but it's been a pleasure discovering all the things I can do with this great economical camera.

This is NOT a camera where you look at the list of creative effects in the menu and get scared off, once you click on the effects for the first time, it all seems so simple and fun.

The DSC-H200 is a wonderful first camera that won't scare the new photographers off, and it has many impressive features to grow on.

I was really impressed with the 720p HD movie mode and was doing great movie stuff right out of the box. I played my creation on my 60" Sony HDTV after burning a Blu-Ray disc on my computer and it looks amazing. Some of my other cameras do 1080 HD, but the 720p looks mighty good.

I LOVE the 4 AA batteries that power it up, they last a long time and replacements are EVERYWHERE.

The pictures I've been taking look great, the 20.1 Mega pixels make the pictures look like you spent much more on your camera and I LOVE the 26x Optical zoom for really getting in there.

I take the batteries out every night and when I put them in the next day, the time & day is still set correctly. This is something my other cameras don't retain and I like it.

The bottom line is this camera doesn't cost much and it works great, a fine starting point that will get you excited about camera's & photography and you can buy another Sony with more features down the line as you grow.

I Love Sony Cameras!

5.0 out of 5 stars Professional photographer who used Sony Alpha/ Sony Nex loves this camera., December 28, 2013
Ricky C Pelishek (North in Wisconsin) - See all my reviews
I have retired from my professional photography, and due to my health have sold my gear and downsized to the Sony Cybershot H200. I do not know what others are talking about when they talk about poor quality, bad focus, and uses too many batteries!

That is absolutely not true. The moment I picked up the camera, it felt like pro cameras I have used, only lighter. The controls were set up like my other Sony Pro Cameras, and I didn't even have to look in the manual to start using it. I have been using the batteries that came with it for several hundred pictures and short videos. They still are at almost full charge! And I have taken a number of flash pictures with it!

The quality of the pictures is great. I have a 16x 24 print from it enlarged and mounted in my living room.

I have had no problem with focusing, or poor exposure. Of course, you need to know a little about proper picture taking to avoid the problems I have seen listed in other reviews. The intelligent mode does a great job, so what you need to know is minimal, but you should be aware of using a flash in very low light, using a tripod if using in very low light outside if you are not very steady. I found you can shoot clear very low light pictures with the anti-shake mode on. That is incredible compared to any other camera in this price range and 20MP quality. I have a good tripod stance and use a nearby object to lean against, if available, to achieve good very low light results. I suggest a tripod or mono-pod for very low light shots for someone who is not experienced in holding a camera steady. In regular indoor lighting, I have found no problem shooting very nice clear handheld pictures without a flash using the anti-shake mode.

The lens quality is excellent. I did not find any issues even when I enlarged the picture on my computer and looked at edge sharpness. Of course, it does not have a $500 or more pro lens quality, but if I wanted that I would have kept my pro equipment!

This camera is designed for the person who wants a little more than a point and shoot camera. It has the features you can use if you want to learn more about photography or are interested in seeing if you have the skills and knowledge to jump up to a DSLR or start a career or serious side business in photography.

I don't want to make this too lengthy, but from the negative reviews on picture quality/ focus I have read, I can just about point out what the user was doing wrong to get such results. If you do not want to learn the basics of photography, do not get this camera, get a cheap point and shoot camera. It will give you the same good results in perfect conditions, and the same lousy ones in conditions that require a little more understanding of photography. The camera does make you a good photographer, learning the basics and more of photography makes you a good photographer. A good photographer can take an excellent picture with a basic point and shoot camera. The more you know about photography, makes you want more features and better quality.

The Sony Cybershot H200 is a nice step up from the basic point and shoot camera. You can still use the intelligent functions, and take great pictures, but you can use the many advanced features to get those tough shots with professional looking results.

I just want to comment on a few other things that I read in reviews and interject my opinion.

I love that you have to manually pop up the flash. If I want to take a picture in low light with the natural light, I do not want the flash going off. I find the option to use the flash when I want to with the push of a button much easier than shutting one off that automatically goes on in low light situations.

Just because the unit is light does not mean it is cheaply made. This is a high quality camera, with a very nice lens. The nice lens adds to the weight, but the camera is nicely balance if held properly.

The battery compartment is almost the same as many higher quality cameras. As a matter of fact, it has a nice firm catch that locks it shut. I had a non Sony pro camera that had an easy to close battery door, which also opened easily sometimes by accident. Not what I want in a camera.

Having the SD card in the battery compartment is one of those clever ideas that makes it impossible to remove the card while the camera is still turned on and damage the card or the camera. It is a smart technology design. There is a reason for it. I have a huge SD card in it, so do not have to change cards while out on a picture taking spree.

The Movie function on the camera is great. It is intended for that occasional video you take while shooting pictures of someone close to the camera talking, or or like a band playing where you do not have someone in front of you making noise (sneezing,rustling things, etc). It is not intended for shooting an event. There is no place to put a external microphone, so you would not use it to tape a wedding or school program unless you were 3 feet from the people. The microphone is made to pick up sound close to the camera, not across a crowded room. It would also work best mounted on a tripod if you are using it for more than a minute because most people tend to move their hands on the camera or rub it against themselves which is picked up by the microphone. This is not a fault of the camera. It was made to capture short segments or when you want to record yourself or another person in a quiet room, or close to the camera.

I give the camera a 5 star rating because it does exactly what it is advertised to do. That is exactly what I wanted, and it works great. I do take it out of intelligent mode and use the advanced features for some very professional looking photos. Of course, I know how to avoid poor quality pictures! If you buy this camera, make sure and read an article, watch a video, or read a book on taking good pictures in different lighting conditions before you use the camera or write a review of the Sony Cybershot H200,

This was long, but hopefully helpful to those looking at getting a great deal on this camera.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay camera on the whole, good for the price., August 11, 2013
Let me just first say: to any people considering purchasing this camera, please read several reviews first! You may find it better to save your money and get a better quality camera. If you're looking for a camera with nice macro and focus, this isn't the camera for you. After taking up photography lessons professionally for a year while I was in high school, I asked my teacher what he recommended. He swears by Sony, and I learned on an older model (the Sony DSC-HX1) of the same style camera. At a first glance, this camera really seems pretty good for the price, which I will admit it is, but don't expect it to be amazing. I bought it in late May as a graduation present for myself, and i've used it almost daily since then, so I've tested almost all the features of the camera. There are quite a few cons, but if you can get over them and see the value and potential in the camera itself, it's quite a bargain.

Pros:
-20.1 megapixels. Can't beat the megapixels for the price, but they're wasted on such a small image sensor. (Please remember that MP ≠ quality! I learned this the hard way.)
-Takes very nice outdoor pictures, provided there's adequate sunlight. Anything else, you'd better start hoping the camera works with you!
-26x zoom. Haven't really had the chance to utilize it, but it's nice to have!
-Panorama. It's pretty nice, haven't used it a whole bunch, but it's nice. I believe it is up to 360 degrees.
-Modes. It has quite a few modes, I like to use the Program Auto Mode or the Intelligent Auto mode for quick shots, such as when I'm at a family gathering, with friends, or at a car show. Also includes a Scenery Mode, with multiple templates to choose from, such as Night Scene, Food, Portrait, etc. Haven't tried all of them, but I was somewhat impressed with the results of the ones that I did.
-Optical SteadyShot (when it decides to work)
-Comes with strap and lens cover. I've owned cameras in the past that haven't, it's just a small thing that matters to me I guess.
-HD video. Although it's only 720p, it's still better than nothing, especially at the price.
-Monopod/Bipod/Tripod thread mount on the bottom of the camera.
-AA battery usage. Plenty of battery time on regular AA store-bought batteries which rocks. I use rechargable ones, however. They work just fine. Just make sure your battery type is supported!
-Multishot function. Supports continuous shooting of up to 100 pictures simultaneously. Haven't figured out long exposure fully yet on the camera, though.
-Display. Very nice, crystal clear display. Kind of big compared to my previous camera.
-Self-timer. Comes in handy with friends and family around.
-Manual exposure and aperture adjustments.

Cons:
-Very poor image quality most of the time, which is disappointing. Most common when indoors or with inadequate lighting (such as dusk, late afternoon, dawn, etc.) This is a result of a very small image sensor. If you're picky with your pictures, like me, I really wouldn't recommend this. Sometimes i'll have to take ten of the same shot before it comes out the way I want. Next time i'm going to get a DSLR.
-Macro function is kind of a joke unless you have super-steady hands to keep the camera from shaking. (Which I don't. I'm sure this isn't just a user error though, as others have reported the same thing.)
-SteadyShot feature only marginally works. It's definitely temperamental, which you don't really want from a camera.
-Focus is hit or miss. Even in broad daylight, or sunlight, the focus kind of does its own thing (which ties in to what I said about the SteadyShot feature.) It has three ways of focusing and each of them only just barely works. I've had more luck out of autofocus, than I did with the focus modes. It just takes a few seconds, which can be annoying if you're in a hurry to take pictures. Also, holding the button down halfway is "supposed" to focus the camera to your mode specifications, however, it's basically a joke. Holding the button halfway activates the pilot light, and shows the shot in focus for about a second before fading away to what it was before. Come on, Sony!
-Battery box. Holy crap let me express how annoying this bugger can be! I have a pack of four rechargable 1800 mAH Duracell AA batteries from years ago that still work just fine. But installing them in the battery box the first time you use the camera can be a pain! Until you figure out which way the batteries are supposed to go it can go from confusion to panic (yes, panic. I was worried I got a defective camera.) Then you have to press down super hard on the tab until it closes securely. It's super annoying at first (well, all the time really) but you get used to it.
-No manual focus. This was one of my favorite features of my previous learner's camera. I could dial in the focus of exactly what I wanted to see, and it'd work. This one has a barely-working focus.
-HD video quality. Although the camera technically shoots in 720p "HD" i'd expect more from a 20 megapixel camera, my previous one was 9 megapixels and shot in full 1080p.
-Flash. Though the flash works fine, it was confusing to find at first, as there's a button that releases the flash tab open from the camera's housing. Also, sometimes the flash negates the current focus locked in on the camera.
-Shutter speed. Sometimes it takes a long while for the camera to actually take a picture, this gets annoying.

Final verdict: Excellent point and shoot camera for the beginner, or a master of the craft looking for a fun camera to play around with.
Who i'd recommend this camera to: Beginner photographer, somebody who's not a photographer, somebody who isn't picky with image quality. A person looking for a point-and-shoot.
Who I wouldn't recommend this camera to: Any sort of professional photographer, somebody who is looking for DSLR quality in a bridge-style camera. Perfectionists.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good budget Superzoom, March 30, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Sony DSC-H200 Digital Camera is the latest superzoom to hit the market, and among the cheapest. It comes with a lot of good features, but leaves out a few found on higher priced cameras. At 20.1MP, it is the highest pixel count superzoom I've seen. Unfortunately, this is a marketing ploy, and the DSC-H200 would have benefited from having much less megapixels due to it's small sensor. All camera manufactures like to increase the megapixel count because the average consumer thinks more is better. Unfortunately, when it some to the small sensors in these low cost point and shoot cameras, the opposite is true.

On to the review. Unboxing the camera and setting it up is simple. 4 AA alkaline batteries are included, but I tossed them aside and put in my own Sanyo Eneloop NiMH batteries. The first thing I noticed when opening the battery door is that the build quality isn't great, but it's totally acceptable at this price point. I installed a fast class 10 SD card too. No memory card is included so you'll need to have one. The internal 55MB memory only holds 5 pictures at full resolution. Once powered up, the controls are simple and easy to use. The 3" 460K is bright and clear. The 26X zoom lens is average quality, but again acceptable at this price point. There are no threads for adding a filter. There is one thing I love about the lens though. It starts at a super-wide 22.3mm. This is by far my favorite feature of the camera. I own a couple other more expensive superzooms, and they start at 25-27mm. This super-wide lens does shorten the zoom distance somewhat, but it's a well worth it sacrifice.

After getting familiar with the simple controls, I headed out to take some test pictures and video. I shot about 100 pictures outdoors, under various conditions. I used the iAuto and Program Modes. Program Mode is what I normally use on my point and shoot cameras. I immediately noticed that the camera is very slow to refresh in between shots, even with my fast Class 10 SD Card. This is somewhat disappointing. I took a few minutes of video too, just to test it out. When I returned home, I shout a couple dozen indoor pictures to test the flash and high ISO performance. Battery life appears to be excellent because even with all the shooting I did, my battery still shows as "full". Once I finished shooting, I loaded everything onto my computer to see what the pictures look like on my HD monitor. Another positive to add, the Sony DSC-H200 used a standard mini-USB cable instead of a proprietary USB cable. Upon seeing my results, I was truly surprised in both a good and bad way. My outdoor results were much better than expected. The images were excellent. All the fine details were there. Exposure was very good. Colors were very good, if not a little soft. All around, my outdoor pictures just came out great. Even when I did a little "pixel peeping", I was surprised at the results considering they're cramming 20.1 MP into a tiny sensor. My one attempt at using the panorama mode didn't come out well, but the results were mainly my fault, and I won't blame the camera. My video came out "good". There was nothing about that that stood out. Personally I have no intention of ever using it, but the Sony DSC-H200 is capable of shooting decent 720p video. Finally, onto my indoor results. This is where I was disappointed. The pictures were just plain fair at best. At ISO 400 and above, the pictures were grainy and "noisy". The colors looked washed out too. I was probably more disappointed than I would have been if the low ISO outdoor pictures weren't so good. On the plus side, the small flash does work fairly well. I went back and shot some more indoor pictures with the ISO locked at 200, and the flash on. These results are much better if you're taking pictures at fairly close range.

All in all, the Sony DSC-H200 is a great low cost camera for taking outdoor pictures, but not so good for taking indoor pictures. With it's lack of some basic features, it is definitely aimed at the budget minded photographer who is going to mainly just "point and shoot". There is a manual mode too for those that choose to use it though. I recommend the Sony DSC-H200 as long as you're aware of it's limitations and faults listed below.

PROS:
Great price and value.
Simple controls.
Super-wide 22.3mm, 26X Zoom Lens.
Excellent results outdoors at low ISO.
Good 720p video.
Great battery life and uses AA batteries.
Good quality 3" screen.
Manual controls.
Good iAuto mode.
Good built-in flash.
Good image stabilization.

CONS:
Mediocre build quality.
Too many megapixels crammed into a small sensor.
Fair results above ISO 400.
Slow refresh between shots.
No RAW mode.
No B/W shooting mode.
No built-in red eye removal.
No optical viewfinder.
No hot shoe.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great camera, October 21, 2013
I like it very much as it is an upgrade from the 12MP 20x Canon PowerShot SX 120 IS that was slowly falling apart after several years of use. I do miss the Canon's vari-angle screen but, as a digital artist, the fact the 20MP allows me to print much larger images is a real plus and makes up for that. I also like the ease of transferring images onto my computer without having to remove the memory card, something I had no choice but to do with my Canon.

Overall, it is a great camera and is a lot of fun.

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat disappointing, March 24, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A month ago I purchased a Sony HX10V camera, so I was excited to be able to try the H200, but now that I have, this camera isn't so great. I know comparing a travel zoom (HX10V) to a heavy bridge camera (H200) is like comparing apples to oranges, but the HX10V offers so much more for about the same price. However, the H200 looks "more professional" compared to my red HX10V.

What some consider an asset - I don't. I hate the weight that 4 AA batteries adds to this camera. Sure, you can find AA batteries anywhere if you run out, but I still prefer the lithium-ion batteries.

PROS FOR THE H200:
> Battery life is good, and AA batteries are readily available.
> Sony has finally added the option for SDHC cards, you are no longer limited to using their Memory Sticks.
> EASY setting: Limited choices, large print - this setting would be perfect for an older person or anyone with vision problems. Other than the Easy Setting, your best bet for most users is iAUTO, the limited manual controls, or one of the Scene Settings.
> Manual pop-up flash.
> Comfortable neck strap, you will need one due to the heaviness of this camera.
> In-camera guide, doesn't take the place of a full-blown instruction manual, but it helps.
> Sony cameras have one of the best Pet Scene settings, which automatically disables the red focus assist light and the flash so your pet is not startled. (You can choose the flash if you want, though).
> PlayMemories software. User-friendly. No CD is included; the first time you connect the camera to your computer, it downloads the latest version from the internet.

CONS FOR THE H200:
> I had a hard time getting it to recognize a macro shot, as it's supposed to in iAUTO. Also macro focus distance with this camera is a higher distance away than other cameras. Usually there is a dedicated macro button on the control wheel but on THIS camera that is missing and the Smile Shutter setting is in its place.
> Photos need a little tweaking. I find the colors not as vibrant as I'd like, and they also need sharpened slightly. (With my HX10V, no post processing needs to be done, maybe cropping, but that's it. I uploaded a photo here of the H200 inside a Case Logic case, that photo was taken with the HX10V.)
> Battery/SD card door is hard to close.
> Not good in low light as compared to my Sony HX10V, which has a CMOS sensor.
> Not full PASM manual; only P and M. You do have some manual choices such as metering, etc., but there is no Aperture or Shutter Priority.
> Lens cover must be manually removed, something I forget to do--you get a message on the LCD to turn the camera on again.
> 20 MP! Bigger is not better, especially with the small sensor this one has.
> 26X optical zoom will not do you any good unless you have a tripod or something to stabilize the camera.
> No full printed manual unless you go online for it. There is a small quick-start manual, but it's very basic.
> HD video is only 720p and no HDMI port.

WHAT MY OTHER SONY DOES BETTER: I think the HX10V is a better choice of the two cameras.
> The Sony G lens - same lens used on Sony's more expensive cameras
> 1080p video, choice of AVCHD or MP4
> Black & red cameras are made in Japan (white camera in China, not sure where the silver one is made)
> BSI-CMOS sensor compared to the CCD sensor in the H200. CMOS sensors are better in low light situations.
> Dedicated movie button
> Dedicated Background Defocus button on the dial - I am happy with not having full manual control as long as I have this on a camera.
> GPS
> 3D sweep panorama as well as 3D photos
> The HX10V has more Picture Effects, such as Watercolor or Illustration, which are done in-camera so you still have the original photo.

Bottom line: You will probably like the H200 if you're a person who likes Sony cameras and you don't want a small point & shoot. If I wouldn't have already known how great the HX10V is, I would have rated this 4 stars, but frankly, I'm a little disappointed with the H200.

If you are looking for a case for this, I highly recommend the Case Logic--I have a Panasonic FZ150 and this fits perfectly with room to spare for extra batteries:
Case Logic DCB-304 High/Fixed Zoom Camera Case (Black)

And you will need a Class 10 SD card for the best response on video, etc.
Transcend 8 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card (TS8GSDHC10E)

Link to the Sony HX10V Camera:
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX10V 18.2 MP Exmor R CMOS Digital Camera with 16x Optical Zoom and 3.0-inch LCD (Red) (2012 Model)

NOTE: See comment section for a link to the full-size instruction manual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it !, August 1, 2013
Was looking for a nice camera at a reasonable price and this fit the bill.
My wife and I went to a fireworks show the other day and I tested the video mode and the auto focus is amazing !
Worth every penny.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sony DSC-H200 More BLUR than not!, October 4, 2013
km boise "km boise" (Boise, ID United States) - See all my reviews
I am writing this review to warn shoppers that this model is not, as the Amazon site notes, "a newer model" for the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX10V. Based on that statement I bought this to replace the DSC-HX10V (which sadly, I lost) and am grossly disappointed. Even the Sony website, which I checked before purchasing states that this camera has Optical SteadyShot image stabilization - but at least 3 out of 5 images I shoot are blurry. The DSC-HX10V gave me a perfect zoom or close up without problem. I wish Sony had continued producing that camera rather than representing this camera as a product which will "Say goodbye to blur". I am returning this camera today.

Sony Cybershot H200 Black 20.1MP 26X (OLD MODEL)
$249.99 $161.70