4.0 out of 5 stars Another Amazing Sony Camera
Published on May 28, 2007 by Anonymous

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Features, Size, and Speed - Poor Still Picture Quality
This camera is well built, has a decent menu structure, is pretty small and the response time is also pretty good.

Published on June 4, 2007 by Jeffrey Kissinger

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Amazing Sony Camera, May 28, 2007
This review is from: Sony Cybershot DSCW200 12.1MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom and Super Steady Shot (Electronics)
First off, I bought this camera directly from Sony Style, not Amazon. I've only been using this camera for the week so I can't rate its longevity, but so far it has impressed me. The size and weight are great, although a thinner camera would still be better. I have never seen photos so crisp! Although I won't normally use it at 12MP (which is about 3-4MB per photo), I've been testing it at that size and the photos really are amazing.

One of the coolest features is the ability to always take 12MP pictures, but set it at 3MP or 5MP file size and it will allow you to effectively zoom in further on the 12MP picture and then crop it without loosing quality. All of this is done seamlessly without the user having to do any adjustments -- just keep zooming in further and it will tell when you've crossed the optical zoom threshold and are zooming in on the larger image. Zoom purists are able to turn the feature off if they don't like it.

As ever, the menus and the display have improved greatly between the three Sony digital cameras I've owned. The menus are bright, intuitive, and incredibly descriptive since there's more screen space on the camera. The camera offers a number of easy to get to modes -- just rotate the dial on the exterior of the camera and you can have it in auto or fully manually modes, set it to do nighttime landscapes or nighttime portraits, as well as several other options.

The videos it takes are great, although I was disappointed that it lacks the ability to zoom in while filming and the fact that the resolution size isn't that big. The microphone on the camera is fantastic, though. My biggest disappointment, however, is the speed of the Memory Stick duo. Even with 5MP pictures, there is a 1.5-2 second write time lag). Even worse, is that the camera doesn't support high-speed transfer rates with the Memory Stick Pro Duo High-Speed cards (I tested it in the store). It takes about 3 seconds to write a 12MP file. However, writing to the internal memory (31MB) is almost instantaneous.

As I said, I've only been using the camera for the week, so I haven't run the battery out yet, but it seems like it will go a while. In fact, all the Sony cameras I've owned have had phenomenal battery life. The camera comes with a small battery charger that plugs straight into an outlet. The prongs on the charger fold into the charger so they are protected while traveling. I bought a small leather case for the camera that attaches to a belt. Because of its small size, I barely notice I'm carrying the camera with me. The case magnetically seals, which is great for quick and easy access, while still protecting the camera. I also bought a 4GB Memory Stick Pro Duo card with the camera, which holds about 816 12MP photos, 1225 8MP photos, 1559 5MP photos, and 2501 3MP photos. At the highest quality video (640 Fine), the card can hold about 50 minutes of video and three hours at 640 Standard. Dropping it to the lowest quality (320) yeilds 12 hours of video time.

I've been very happy with this purchase and after all the years of waiting on the technology to catch up, I finally have a relatively inexpensive pocket-size camera that I can always take with me, that has a decent zoom (if you're using the precision crop-style zoom), and can take really high-quality photos. Sony has already started releasing 5x optical zooms on their pocket-size cameras now, so I expect the next incarnation of the W line of Sony cameras will be quite perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to be good for Under Water use, June 13, 2007
Douglas Terry "Doug Terry" (Angleton, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
I've had this camera about 3 weeks and I've taken a number of photos with it. Initially I was disappointed in that the on line liturature (including from Sony) all says Macro down to 2 CM, when its actually down to 5 CM (2 inches) and that (5 CM) is stated in the book that comes with it. I use macro a lot in underwater photography and some on land. My previous Sony camera (and yes I flooded it, hence the new one) did go down to 2 CM but the fact is I seldom got that close because (a) it tends to scare the daylights out of any creatures that can move and (b) the depth of field becomes almost 2 deminsional - that's just optics and photography. So I usually get further away to increase the depth of field and crop to what I want. So while that was a disappointment the fact is it's of little actual consequence.

I've taken quite a few photos with it primarily getting the feel of it and learning to use this particular one. My previous camera was a Sony F707 so the small size of this one is a pleasant change. The menus are intuitive and easy to use. Key functions like macro and flash are not menu driven but button driven so changes can be made quickly. It takes good photos. The colors are good and the detail is good. The more I use it the more I like it. The battery life is very good as was my old F707. I like the ability to delete one, selected photos or everything on the memory stick (or internal memory). For macro (and other modes) the focus mode can easily be changed, via menu, to a spot focus (it has to be in the P setting though to get to that option) and that is a good feature. Other features such as photo size and exposure mode are similarly easily set. The screen is large and can be turned off to save battery life. The optical view finder is small and would suffer from offset if used close up. The difference in battery life when using the screen isn't that much. The view finder is most useful when bright light makes the screen hard to see - pretty much true for all of them.

Lag time, while not that of digital SLR's is OK, not outstanding but good. Start up time is very good and it has about a 3 minute time out period so it's not off everytime you get ready to take a photo (very important U/W) and if it is off it comes on very quickly.

The camera comes with a summary booklet which covers the basics. The full booklet is a .pdf file. The book is OK to good, not great. The info is there just not alwasy that easy to find.

I also bought the marine pack underwater housing to go with it. It's good down to 40 meters and is very compact. Every feature on the camera can be accessed while it's in the housing. I'm a scuba instructor and this past weekend I took it to an old quarry that we use as a training facility for diving. The visibility ws OK, not great by any means, somewhat green - the usual freshwater stuff. I got there early and got in with the camera and housing before the students had a chance to kick it up worse and took some underwater photos - not expecting much considering the visibility and light balance. I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the photos. Other shops pros commented on the photo quality considering where they were taken. The shop owner asked for copies to put on the shop web gallery. I'll be taking it down to Cayman Brac the first of next month so I'm certainly looking forward to using it there. Incidently the housing is very useful for photography when it's raining or any chance to get wet such as boats, rafting and the like. They're even used in industrial environments because the housing removes any small possibility of the camera being an ignition sourse.

And as was previously mentioned, even the battery charger is compact. The battery is charged outside the camera, good so you have a battery charging back in the room while you're using the other one. It is a propritary battery so a spare is a good idea.

I'm happy with the camera. The more I use it the more I like it. It's very small, it's very easy to use and takes very good photos.

1/3/08 I've used this camera in the underwater housing for dive trips to Cayman Brac and Panama City Beach, FL. I have not got the color balance underwater to be quite as good as I would like. In all fairness I have not gotten a good strobe for this camera so my experience is using available light or the on board flash. There are times I would like a bit more sharpness for macro shots. I think I was spoiled to the huge lens on the old Sony 707 this replaced. It did great on the above water shots.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Camera I ever Owned, May 28, 2007
Best camera, I have every owned. I had unlimited funds to buy camera and I choose this one. Met all of my expectations. I needed a quality camera that was compact enough to do the following:

- Snap quality pictures of white board during meeting

- Take Quick snap shots and movies during kid activities and vacations

- Take decent pictures during twilight hours

- Take quick snap shots without waiting for picture to write to memory.

Quality of pictures is excellent

Speed from shot to shot (At least with high speed Sony card which I bought)

User Interface is easy to use and well thought out

Battery life is very good. I have had a number of long events with family and I have not used up my battery after hundreds of shots and movies. Great delete feature that allows me to delete multiple pictures quickly. I bought this camera directly from Sony and was able to get a 4 year warranty that covers normal failure and accidents for $99 which I thought was pretty good.

Sony Cybershot DSC-W200 12.1 MP Digital Camera + 1 GB Accessory Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony DSC-W200, December 21, 2007
Paul Garland (El Paso, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
I guess I've probably owned fifteen or more digital cameras over the years. Several from Olympus, several Nikons including a couple of Nikon SLRs, many Sonys, and even a Kodak way back in the beginning of time. This Sony DSC-W200 is absolutely the finest.

12.1 megapixels means that you can crop quite a bit and still have a great high resolution photo. When you connect it to your TV you can even get 1080 high definition output.

It is small enough to constantly carry with you in your pocket. Resolution is great both with still photography and videos. Battery life is excellent.

This is the first camera I have had that automatically knows when you hold it sideways to make a landscape photo, and it instantly adjusts. So you don't later have to rotate the saved picture.

ASA 6400 is hard to believe. Not something you will use a lot, but it is indicative of just how sensitive the CCD is in this camera.

I recommend this little camera with no reservations!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Features, Size, and Speed - Poor Still Picture Quality, June 4, 2007
Jeffrey Kissinger (Round Lake Heights, IL) - See all my reviews

The video at 640x480 30fps is extremely good and comes close to camcorder quality. I bought the standard 4gb Sandisk Memory Stick Duo Pro not the Ultra or Extreme and that memory card had no issues with recording the video flawlessly. At 4gb you get 50 minutes of video.

The biggest let down is the still picture quality. When you zoom in, it looks like if you were to apply the Diffuse filter in Photoshop to the picture (looks like the pixels run together). For indoor shots, there are a lot of over compression artifacts some of which look like hundreds of darker spots in the image. The picture auto focus and image stabilization seem to improve that capability only slightly as I took pictures of my daughter on a swing and they were a little blurry. The picture will also ALWAYS be be blurry on the right side of the image. The purple fringing around high contrast differences in the image is very noticeable.

Overall, this is still a decent camera that you can easily bring with you anywhere. With the 4gb memory, you can capture 846 images at 12 megapixels and 50 minutes of video at 640x480 30fps. This makes it a powerful tool that is always ready to get those unexpected shots or video if you carry it on you regularly and since it is a pretty small camera this is easy to do.

I am still considering returning the camera due to the picture quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, flexible small digital camera with accessory lenses, March 30, 2008
After having been involved in high resolution 35 mm and high 8 video photography, using multiple lenses while traveling the world, my wife rebelled and insisted that I not take up so much space with my photo equipment.

The Sony Cybershot DSCW200 12.1MP Digital Camera with
Sony VAD-WD Lens and Filter Adaptor allowing use of both wide angle and tele-conversion lenses has proven a good compromise.

I especially enjoy the Extra High Sensitivity (ISO6400) for low light photography without using a flash. It has been very useful for candid photography.

I have captured close-ups of many birds and wide angle shots of Mexico's famed Copper Canyon.

The camera offers many great compromises. It is not as flexible as some 35 mm cameras, as there is some shutter lag after having taken a photo. This can be some what frustrating at a sports event.

On the other hand it is really a blessing to be able to suddenly switch over to capture VGA quality video at 30 frames / second to record video of an event, such as natives dancing to the music played on their handcrafted musical instruments.

I would have preferred that the polaroid lens attached on the outside of the converter lenses, rather than inbetween the lens adapter and the converter lens, as the rotation of this lens makes it very easy to loose the attached converter lens. My fingers are a little too large to comfortably manage the adjustment of the polarizing lens and the wide angle converter lens.

In summary, because of its small size, 12.1 mega pixel resolution,
VGA video capability, face detection, Super SteadyShot(R) image stabilization and the numerous other features enabling great photo flexibility in a very small package, I can only say, BRAVO SONY!

Yes, there are larger camera systems that can beat this camera in certain situations, but I know of no other that can do all this one can in such a tiny package. You can get memory cards that can hold up to 8 mega pixels of digital images!

I did not have to worry about frequently down loading the hundreds of images taken in Mexico's Copper Canyon and of the indigenous colorful tribal people there, as others using digital cameras were forced to do.

This camera system has been on several safaris with me and is ready to go again.

Having purchased an extra battery has enabled me to always have a charged one on hand.

The price of the camera is now less than $260!

3.0 out of 5 stars Mr., February 2, 2008
Nice camera, my only complain is the LCD, is not scratching proof, actually keeps getting scrath even with normal use, is bad quality, for instance with the same treatment mi IPOD screen is flawless, if you buy it make sure to have an screen protection film or something otherwise you will regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good enough for 90% of shots, August 6, 2007
The best things about this camera is the form factor, good screen, and improved automated focus. This camera provides excellent resolution and capability. As an upgrade from a 3.1 Mp Cybershot it represents a smooth transition and upgrade that is satisfactory and expected. The low light capabilities are good but not great... some graininess comes thru circumstantially.

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes GREAT pictures in Low Lighting!, July 4, 2008
I bought this camera because Consumer Reports rated it #1 for subcompact digital cameras. It was also only $299 here on Amazon.com (the price listed today is over $400). I have four criteria when it comes to a compact digital camera.

1. It must have a fast response time, both when I turn it on and in between shots. This Sony Cybershot is AWESOME. It is literally on and ready to shoot within milliseconds of hitting the power button. There's also NO delay between shots, which has been the bane of all the digital cameras I've ever owned. The ability to go from shot to shot without worrying about missing a great action photo or having to twiddle my thumbs while it writes to the compact flash or smart disk is a god send.

2. It must take GREAT shots in low lighting. I don't know how many crappy photos I've taken indoors at parties, museums, and more. I know we all have, even with those cameras that have 'indoor' modes but require a tripod to take a clear picture. Well, this baby takes absolutely stunning low light photos using ISO or ISO+ mode. They are clear and not at all blurry. Check out the photos I uploaded from a visit to a local aquarium in the Jelly Fish exhibit (where it's as dark as night in there). Not only did I NOT have to use a tripod to get a clear shot, but the photos came out rich in color and detail, especially considering this is not a DSLR.

3. It must have several scene modes. I am addicted to these modes as they often save me from some very bad shots. I am clueless on how to set anything manually. This camera offers a nice selection of scene modes, my favorite so far being the ISO+ for low light, indoor settings. But the landscape, portrait, and other modes have all proved equally adept at clear, brilliant pictures.

4. It must have a large LCD. My last digital camera had a 1.8" LCD and it was painfully small. I often couldn't tell that shots were out of focus until I imported them to my desktop. The Sony Cybershot has a vividly clear LCD that is large and bright, perfect for spotting bad shots on the spot. No more wondering if I've taken a good photo or not.

Overall, I'm extremely impressed with the Sony Cybershot. The only reason I'm not giving it 5 stars is because it only has 3X optical zoom, up to 6X with digital. My last digital camera had 12X with digital zoom, and it was disappointing to find that even though I was buying a higher end subcompact camera, the zoom was a bit on the skimpy side.

Nevertheless, I won't be using my old digital camera even with its 12X zoom because the Sony blows it out of the water in terms of picture quality, compactness, and speed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, October 27, 2007
N. Paul (Sunrise, Florida) - See all my reviews
This camera was one of the best purchases that I have ever made. I love to take pictures but I don't like to carry all sorts of crap with me, this camera is small and takes the most incredible pictures. If you have kids or animals and want to capture moments for ever, this is for you. The only thing is that you have to purchase a memory stick or card, because the camera can only hold five pictures in its temporary memory. Most companies don't sell the cards with the camera.The battery, fully charged will last for about three days of full action. The 12.1 resolution gives you breathtaking pictures. You don't have to be a good photographer, you just point and square the subject in the frame and shoot. It has a mode for shooting far away or close up. A really good camera.