Sony DAV-FR1 5-Disc Progressive Scan DVD Dream System (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Complete home theater system with a 5-disc DVD/receiver combo, 5 speakers, a biamplified subwoofer, and 110 watts per channel x 5, 100 wpc x 2
- Features compact satellite speakers and a subwoofer with dual 6.5-inch drivers
- Compatible with DVD-Video, MP3 CD, JPEG image CD, and high-resolution Super Audio CD (SACD); FM/AM tuner with 30 station presets
- Dolby Digital, DTS ES, and Dolby Pro Logic II processing for dynamic, enveloping surround sound from movies and music
- DVD/receiver: 17 x 2.8 x 15.6; satellites: 3.5 x 8.6 x 3; center speaker: 14 x 3.6 x 3; subwoofer: 8 x 15 x 14 inches (W x H x D)
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
I had recently purchased the Sony NS-575P single-disc DVD player and was stunned by its video performance and slick operation. It looks as though the changer in the FR1 uses similar software, or atleast, the same user interface and it is great! I like how it displays the disc's artwork as a screen background. The reasons why I'm happy with this Sony changer are similar to why I am also so happy with the stand-alone player I had to move to the den - it decodes virtually EVERYTHING you can throw at it... mp3, SACD (!), and DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD with JPEGS, etc.
And, the all-in-one package means a minimum of wires. Quite frankly, I'm really impressed with this "dream system"... it delivers big sound and convenience for much less money than I expected to have to pay! Thanks, Sony!
Update: Just listened to/watched the Star Wars trilogy on DVD and the sound (and video) is very impressive. In particular, the dialogue was always audible, even when the music and other sound effects were active.
Also: There is one thing that bugs me about this player - this is my first carousel CD or DVD changer (I've had a magazine changer forever), so I don't know if this is par for the course or not, but it takes a fairly long amount of time to load a disc into an empty slot...Read more ›
It comes with the 5 speakers and 1 woofer and the 5 disc DVD player.
They are 100 watts each. Powerful.. very powerful. I have a huge living room and the speakers filled the room with sound. But there are 2 aspects which bother me, viz.
1) The surround speakers should have had a system by which they could be connected wirelessly. Panasonic makes a similar home theatre system, which has that wireless feature. Although, Panasonic sells the wireless system to connect the surround speakers seperately. Nevertheless, it is comforting to know that when you have a few extra dollars lying around, you can avail that system and get rid of the wires lying around on the carpet. You have no way of doing that with this Sony model.
2) Stands. In this day and age, we simply dont have the time or resources to go out and fit fixtures on to the wall for the surround speakers. And I dont want to spend a penny more (let alone $40 for the Sanus stands) for additional stands for the speakers. The lack of this feature is indeed very irritating. I dont understand why some thing which can be made so cheaply (the stands) cant be provided with a system which is so expensive.
The DVD Player :
The DVD player is old technology. PERIOD!
1) It has a dot illumination type display system, which ruins the otherwise sleek appearance of the system. But it is better than an LCD Display because you can make out the information being displayed while seated at a distance of a few feet.Read more ›
1. Quality: I am quite finicky about sound quality, and yet I have heard nothing like this baby. With good quality source material, DAV-FR1 can rival sound systems in theaters - seriously. Movies look wonderful with progressive scan/component video output.
2. Power: 750 W total power, S-Master digital amplifier, twin-driver subwoofer...need I say more? I can't use even the 20% of the total power.
3. Convenience: Can play DVDs(both +/- formats), CD (-R/-RW, even multisession), MP3 CDs (including ID3 tags), JPEG CDs (including EXIF data) - and other exotic formats like VCD and SACD. The software interface is not just good, it's well-thought and well-designed. 5 disk slot loading changer means you'll never get hit by faulty eject mechanisms any more. Speakers/connectors/receiver is color-matched for easy hookups.
4. Compatibility: Supports almost all the Dolby/DTS matrix and surround decoding formats.
5. Expansion option: For those of you who'd like to upgrade to 6.1 from 5.1 in the future - this receiver outputs a surround back channel, and supports 6.1 decoding options (Dolby Digital EX, DTS ES).
6. Looks: If you've ever drooled over a Apple PowerBook, you know what I'm referring to. DAV-FR1 is drop-dead sleek and gorgeous, with solid build quality and brushed-metal look.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I have been happy with this product easy to set up and good sound quality. Easy to hook into my tv and other components.Published on March 23, 2013 by AMA
The sound produced by this system is awesome, but that's where the accolades end with the DAV-FR1. If you attempt to load more than one disk into the player all will jam resulting... Read morePublished on March 7, 2009 by Bill N.J.
AMAZING SOUND QUALITY! FOR THIS PRICE IT DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER!! AND TO TOP IT OFF IT'S A SONY!!!Published on May 29, 2007 by Meet Umesh Shah
My dream system has needed two unrelated repairs in the tree years I have owned it. Niether has been under warentee. The last costing $300.Published on October 10, 2005 by nah
-Comes with free ice cream.
-The 5-disc changer is inconvenient. Read more
I first want to say, I love dealing with amazon, their customer service is excellent, and I have always loved Sony products. This surround system does not work well. Read morePublished on July 23, 2005 by Debbie Z.
Not too long ago Sony had only one Dream System, and it was more than enough power for around 450-bucks. Then, I think they realized they were giving away too much for too little. Read morePublished on May 11, 2005 by doppelganger
The sound from this Home Theater System is surprisingly rich. Preset equalizer settings for everything from Sci-Fi movies to video games match up well, and the... Read more