Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sony DAVTZ140 DVD Home Theater System
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on February 9, 2013
After looking at Best Buy, Target, and many other places for a surround sound system I stumbled upon this on at Walmart. At first because of the low price I figured it would be a piece of junk. I went home and looked at the reviews and decided why not give it a try. My first impression was it looked fairly slick for a cheaper system. After hooking it up to my projector and mounting the speakers on the walls I decided to give it a try with good old That 70's Show! I was astounded. After I tried out the sound using Netflix I tried a DVD and it worked flawlessly, I then tried the USB hook up for my Iphone 5 and was HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED! The receiver said no USB device detected!

So other than the fact that YOU CAN NOT HOOK AN APPLE DEVICE TO THIS (I tried Iphone, Ipad, and Itouch and none worked) it is a good bang for your buck.
review image review image
1515 comments| 169 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2012
this is for a small room. Not much power. Has a great sound and balance but it is pre wired so the speakers only go so far, as does the sound.
on July 8, 2014
Worked fine until day 2 - then noticed rear surround sound speakers not working while all others were working just fine. Next day the rear surround sound speakers were working. Next day they did not. This went on for several days until one day the unit did not power up at all. Called Tech Support and they had me unplug unit from power source and then hold on/off button for 30 seconds - this successfully reset the system and it began working. Two days later it happened again and I went through the reset process. After that it became a daily occurence and frustration. I sent the entire unit back for a refund.
on August 12, 2015
This product is sold as a "Home Theater System" but it does not have the output power for a home theater system. It only has analog audio L and R input jacks, no optical input. Optical input has been around for a long time. In fact I have a bookshelf system that is a 400W system that is over 15 yrs old and has optical input and it blows this "Home Theater System" out of the water for loudness. Big disappointment! I would NOT recommend anyone buy this unless they are going to use it for their computer like so many reviews say they did. I didn't want a computer speaker system.
on June 21, 2015
I was very happy with the level of performance I got in relation to the price I paid; very good value! I previously owned a $1,500 Bose home theater system and I have to say the extra performance and quality I got out of it was not 15 times worth, maybe not even double. The 5.1 system sounds great if you set it up properly to watch movies and I also modified the back inputs easily with "3.5mm Female to Dual RCA Male" cable (sold here on amazon for less than $4) so that I could plug in my mp3 player or my laptop (audio only, video should go straight to your display screen) making it a great system for parties as well!
I would criticize that the cables for the two rear speakers will not be long enough to reach the back of your room unless you have a very small room or can run speaker wire direct under the carpet/flooring.

Pros: price, attractive design, very decent sound quality up to a fairly loud volume (loud for 90% of people not in the 14-25 years of age demographic), accepts HDMI and RCA inputs, low profile.

Cons: rear speaker wire might be a bit too short (appx. 15' each but you can buy and use your own wire)
on February 23, 2014
I have yet to hook this up to my television, as when I purchased it I was only looking for a decent system for my ever-growing cd collection. The sound quality is good, but at lower levels you can hear the spinning mechanism. It's not that much of a problem, since my intent is to rock the house, but nonetheless annoying for a brand new piece of equipment.
on June 26, 2015
Spend money for better unit . This unit is only good for DVD surround . No connection for cable box so tv does not sound well. Needs better remote . Volume is low ! This unit is not Sony quality that I've ever experienced before . It's primitive!!;! I would of sent it back but already threw box away ... Junk
on February 29, 2016
The sound is nice and vibrant. I'm not at full capacity as I haven't been able to use all the speakers just yet. The wire for the back speakers aren't very long so I will have to add wire eventually. I wish they over did the length. I'm sure it will just add to the ambiance once I'm all set up. Another side note is that the customer service was helpful and quick troubleshooting. I couldn't figure out why the sound didn't work at first and they patiently walked through the check points to resolve it.
on December 25, 2013
Just got this for Xmas and found out it only has RCA inputs. You shouldn't buy this if you have gaming systems or other set-top boxes.
on September 23, 2014
Nice functionality. Clear sound. Not much sound for 300 W. It won't fill a big "Theater" room.