4.0 out of 5 stars very good--but not quite great
Published on May 13, 2008 by Matthew G. Sherwin

3.0 out of 5 stars Re: CD's you burn yourself
This player works great with store bought CD's. Unfortunately, I burn a lot of my own (including book CD's from the library) and it doesn't play them well. In reading the instruction sheet it says the player won't play them well. Wish I knew that in advance.
Published on August 26, 2011 by robarch21

4.0 out of 5 stars very good--but not quite great, May 13, 2008
Matthew G. Sherwin (last seen screaming at Amazon customer service) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sony DFJ041 Portable Walkman CD Player with Tuner (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
This Walkman by Sony offers music lovers the opportunity to listen to music files stored on a CD-R, a regular CD (of course), a CD-RW--AND there's even a digital AM and FM radio tuner! While this lacks certain features that a music aficionado might want (like the ATRAC system that some CD players have), this Walkman is really a very good choice for most people including myself. I have more than one Walkman but this is the one I use most often for when I am "on the go;" it's the one I don't mind if it accidentally gets a little bit banged up over time.

You can preset up to twenty FM stations and you can preset up to 10 AM stations--but this won't pick up AM stations very well unless they're located relatively close to where you are. However, that's still good for this price range. This Walkman uses two AA batteries and you get a good amount of play time out of the batteries if you pick good ones. It weighs barely more than seven ounces--great!

At first glance the controls on the Walkman itself appear slightly confusing but after about five minutes tops you learn all the important and most commonly used functions. The controls also make it easy to do basic things such as adjusting the sound, starting a CD and stopping it. The instruction manual is fairly clear as well. The Walkman does have "playback modes" but I rarely use them so I can't comment on that.

Unfortunately, I noticed some disappointments. The controls are rather small so you need to be careful of how you touch them with your fingers. Finally, this type of ear phone set hurts my ears almost from the very start of listening to a CD on this Walkman. I strongly suggest you purchase a better quality headset or earphones that will be more comfortable. (I have to take off one star for that--sorry!)

Overall, music lovers will be very pleased with this affordable Walkman. The features work reliably. The quality of the sound is excellent; and it can handle quite a few presets for different radio stations.

3.0 out of 5 stars Re: CD's you burn yourself, August 26, 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars quality for price, June 16, 2007
Nick West (bakersfield, CA) - See all my reviews
i have had alot of walkmans over the years and i am happy with this one, it does'nt do anything over the top well but mainly i like the sound quality , it sounds alot better than my panasonic and my last sony as well, the fm section on it is really good and that is the main reason i bought it , i wanted a fm and cd walkman for under 50 bucks that had good sound, teh headphones are ok , i actually use earbuds instead so i upgraded that feature , but this walkman is a good choice , good bang for the buck

3.0 out of 5 stars terrible battery life, September 7, 2007
If you're going to use this with an a/c adaptor as a cheap home cd player, go for it. However, battery life I got with new energizer batteries was two hours on FM radio plus 1.5 hours playing CDs. This is not enough for portable use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Portable CD player, May 3, 2009
I bought and returned four different CD players in this price range before I found one that would keep the place and not require restarting from the beginning.

I highly recommend this player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value For My Money, March 1, 2008
Larry (California) - See all my reviews
I was surprised at the quality of the audio from this "old fashioned" CD player. With a set of $20 Koss Pro KTX-1 earphones it produced better sound than the sound card in my PC. Doesn't skip at all when I stuff it into my jacket pockets and walk my dog. Purchased it at Sears for $35. As I expected, the earbuds that came with the player produced tinney, thin sound. So did the much more expensive Sony earbuds that cost me as much as the CD player. Go with the inconspicuous earbuds for the street, and the Koss KTX-1 for the house.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well for audiobook listening, November 5, 2011
I bought this Sony Portable CD player to listen to audiobooks and it works just fine. Some features I like:

Volume adjustment button -- lots more levels available than on my last player.

Several 'sound modes' available -- can decide which gives you better sound for music or speaking voice.

'Hold' button on bottom - locks down or temporarily disables the other controls while it is clicked on. This means you can't inadvertently skip to the next track or hit the volume buttons, or whatever.

Tuning buttons allow you to fast forward or fast backward on the CD -- very nice feature for audiobook listeners.

Display tells you the number of the track that is playing and the time into the track (03:17, for example).

Display features small battery icon to indicate amount of charge left in battery.

Slight downside -- the battery compartment is under the lid -- so when the battery runs out, you have to open the player and remove the disc to replace the batteries. Kind of inconvenient, but not a big deal.

Headphones -- haven't tried them, I use an inexpensive set of Sony headphones (over-the-head style). I'm not generally fond of the over-the-ear style headphones -- I've only ever had one pair (of about 12 different styles) that worked well.

This particular model (D-FJ041) has a radio function, but I can't say that I use it much. I tend to use my MP3 player if I want portable radio listening.

All-in-all, a very workable player for listening to audiobooks on CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars It does what I bought it for!, February 21, 2011
So far, I must say I am completely satisfied with this Sony Walkman. I got it to listen primarily to books, and the sound is fine. I do wish the buttons were color-coded, but it's not a major problem in good light. I actually find the clip style ear bud headphones to be comfortable. The design keeps them from falling out of my ears every time I move.

This would be a great gift, and I am very glad I purchased it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good enough for me, November 12, 2007
Pat (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
I bought the Sony DFJ041CD Walkman to use when I go for a walk or do chores around the house. I usually listen to books-on-CD, sometimes music CD's, hardly ever radio but I like to have the option. So far, the performance is great: ear buds are comfortable, CD player works well, controls are easy enough to navigate--but you can't do it by touch alone. My only criticism is the battery compartment. It's positioned so close to the hinge that, when you have to change the batteries, it's hard to get them out. Maybe Sony will fix that...

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, November 15, 2010
I now have the ability to sew and listen to my stories. I have only one complaint and that is the lack of an electrical cord so that I could hook up and not always have to use batteries. Other than that the unit works great for my purposes.