5.0 out of 5 stars Everything You Should Need in a Photo Frame, and Then Some
Published on November 22, 2010 by Terry Sunday

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice screen - painful for edited pictures
Published on July 16, 2011 by A. Siegel

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything You Should Need in a Photo Frame, and Then Some, November 22, 2010
Terry Sunday (El Paso, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The main reason I decided to buy a digital photo frame is because printing out photos from my Sony DSC-H5 on an Epson PictureMate to share with the family got pretty tiresome. Sure, the prints looked good, but printing them took a long time, they cost about 35 cents apiece and some of the older relatives couldn't see them very well. I figured a digital photo frame would improve the whole process. My requirements were simple: the frame must have very high resolution, be small and lightweight (for packing in a carry-on suitcase), and accept images via a Memory Stick and also via a standard USB interface (which many, I found, do not).

The Sony DPF-D810 meets all of my requirements with flying colors. The 800-by-600-pixel 8-inch-diagonal display is clear, crisp, bright and saturated. Photos display instantly, either singly, until you manually advance them, or in a slideshow with your choice of 10 time intervals from three seconds to 24 hours and with your choice of six transition effects. You can show the full image or crop it to fit the screen. If the aspect ratio of the picture is wider than 4:3, thin black bars appear at the top and bottom of the screen--the image itself is undistorted. You can display image information such as the time and date taken, camera type, shutter speed and aperture, EV compensation and more. The unit will show photos directly from an SD memory card, Memory Stick Duo or USB flash drive, or you can copy them to the internal memory, which holds about 150 high-resolution images. A mini-USB connector lets you transfer photos directly from your computer. You can choose from 14 different full-screen clock and calendar displays, or integrate a clock and/or calendar with six of the 10 different slideshow display options. Thus you can place this frame on a desk or mantel and run it all the time as a useful item of room decor. You can even choose whether or not to display the bright "Sony" logo on the lower part of the frame. All in all, this is a very impressive device that should satisfy the most demanding user. Plus, it is small (roughly 9 inches by 7 inches by 1 inch) and lightweight (less than 1-1/2 pounds, including the AC transformer and the remote control).

Speaking of which, the remote control is a great bonus. When I first set up the DPF-D810, I found it difficult to see the on-screen menus while manipulating tiny buttons with minuscule labels on the back of the unit. Then I used the remote. What a difference! You can access all of the frame's well-designed and logically arranged setup and functional menus with ease. Not all frames in this price category offer remotes. I didn't care about it when I selected this frame, but now I wouldn't be without it.

Even though I wanted a digital photo frame for just one simple purpose, I was pleased to find that this one far exceeded my expectations and offered much more than I needed for a reasonable price. If you're considering taking the next logical evolutionary step in digital photography by displaying your pictures on a photo frame rather than printing them, I highly recommend you consider the Sony DPF-D810.

5.0 out of 5 stars Did my research...this is a keeper :), December 11, 2010
I'm the one in the family...and extended family...that does the shopping for electronics/digital products. You know me, many of you have that guy in your own families or group of friends.
When I decided to buy digital frames for my parents and my wife for this Christmas, I did a lot of research and looked at a lot of digital frames. I read a lot of reviews as well and compared many of the features available. Here's what I liked about the Sony DPF-D810 8-inch SVGA Frame:

Simply to use, yet has advanced features that you don't get in this price range
Sturdy, well thought-out design (even the remote is sturdy...many have flimsy remotes that are useless)
4:3 format...standard photo size, so it doesn't undesirably crop your precious photos
Allows the use of all standard memory cards to include USB thumb drives -great for anyone that might be technically challenged
It's not a knock-off brand and was obviously well tested..I didn't have to wonder how long it would reliably work

It's not the biggest frame on the market...it's not the most expensive (by far)
It is a great buy for $79!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Frame, Lots of Features, December 18, 2010
Joelamite (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
I just loaded this frame up with pictures of the kids for grandma, and can say that this frame is a much better choice for the price than other brands.

I really wanted to offer a contrast to the only review (so far) for this product, since I had a far different experience.

There are many menu options to customize the viewing experience, including a setting to change the delay between pictures from 3 seconds to 24 hours. There are also nine different types of slideshows, plus a random mix of those types available.

Also in the menu options is a Shuffle option to randomize the order of your pictures.

I chose to resize the photos to match the display resolution of the frame (800X480). This dropped the size from 2+ mb per picture to around 50 kb per picture, and they are virtually indistinguishable from a regular viewing distance. At the moment, there are 500+ pictures in the internal memory, with more than half of the room left.

The picture quality is great especially compared to other brands in this price range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, exceeded expectations, December 21, 2010
Bought this due to Sony's quality in imaging space and 10-in diagonal screen. After loading photos, am amazed at how great the pictures look and how nice the photo frame is. Had not bought a digital photo frame previously due to cost and small screen size, am glad I waited until now.

Anyway, great product with excellent viewing from all angles and lots of configurable options (interval settings, random, clock, etc.). Did not find any of the limitations or issues that earlier reviewer noted, thankfully went ahead and bought it.

Here is my summary:
- high quality screen
- good viewing angles
- very nice frame for use in living room etc.
- easy to configure
- good price

One suggestion if you use Picasa or any other photo editing program. You can crop your photos using the "5:3 Widescreen Photo Frame" crop option and they will fit perfectly in the 800x480 frame when you do a File->Export (option Resize to 800). Or if you prefer, you can let the Sony resize/crop for you.

Anyway, great product and in my personal opinion, definitely worth recommending to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Frame--a couple of other things to know, September 27, 2011
Neel (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
I bought a couple of digital frames from another company for my parents and in-laws a few years ago, but they just didn't use them much. There were two principal reasons why: no auto on-off mechanism and no shuffle function. This frame takes care of both issues nicely. The shuffle function is truly random, so you're constantly seeing new pictures. The auto on-off feature is quite sophisticated. It allows you to choose a different on and off schedule for each day of the week. Plus you can have it turn on and off multiple times in each day. So, I have my frame turning on at 6am everyday. On Monday through Friday it turns off at 9am when I leave for work and then back on at 3pm when my kids get home. On Saturdays and Sundays it stays on the whole day. Then every night it turns off at 10pm. It's great having it on the whole time we're home, but then not wasting electricity at night or when we're away from home.

I've been very impressed by the frame in addition to these features. It's very easy to set up and picture quality is great. The remote makes navigating the menus to adjust settings or skipping pictures easy and convenient.

I wanted to also mention a couple of limitations that I would have like to have known when I was buying my frame. They don't change my rating of the frame, but are just useful to know ahead of time.

A few reviewers mentioned that the screen was smaller than they would have liked, based on where they were going to use it. The same happened to me. My frame is in the living room in a place where you can see it from a pretty good distance. Although the picture quality is good enough to see from far away, the size of the screen means that your pictures just aren't that big. As a result, I find myself invariably walking up to the frame to get a better look at whatever picture's showing. So before you decide, it might be good for you to know the actual dimensions of the screen and frame, since the 8" diagonal measurement is hard to decipher and the frame measurement listed on Amazon is wrong. The screen is 4.75" x 6.5" and the frame is 9.2" x 7".

The one other caveat I discovered is that the frame can handle only 5000 pictures at a time. I bought a 8GB SD card and just filled it up with as many digital pictures I could fit. Well as it turned out, that came out to more than 5600 pictures. Now, every time I turn the frame on, it reminds me that the max is 4999 and that it won't be showing me some of my pictures. It's not a big deal since 4999 is plenty to see, but it's good to know. I had considered buying a larger SD card to have even more photos loaded on the frame, but now I realize that it wouldn't be able to show them, so why bother.

All in all, this is an excellent frame that I'm glad I bought. It has a couple of limitations based on the way I'm using it, but that doesn't detract from its quality and utility for others.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice screen - painful for edited pictures, July 16, 2011
Here is the gripe. The dreaded question mark screen. Every other picture is displayed as a ?. The manual says you can have pixel size of up to 8000X6000. But the frame is 800x600. I was told to resize the picture to 800X600 but I have pictures with pixels over 800X600 and they display, others won't. So they said crop them, but the image takes up the whole shot, so not an option. I was told to shorten the name to 10 characters, make them .jpg, and less than 10mb. That only got me to see the file name with the ?. Then I was told anything edited will not display. I proved that incorrect. On the third call I was told sorry, some pictures just cannot be read by the processor. They did not even inquire about the resolution.
At that point I did even more googling and found that Windows Live photo gallery will allow you (with an add on) to say make the picture 800X600 and it will process it for you. Only 2 of the 14 pictures still would not show, the rest made it to the frame. Manipulating the pixels in Photoshop alone did not work.
I don't know if this is with all frames or just this one. But this was my experience.
The positive: The frame is really sleek, great picture quality, and the options are nice. They tried to make the plug nice by making it vertical instead of horizzontal but it still spans over the outlets next to it. If they had just swiveled it, it would have been perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good image quality and features, less-than-clear printed instructions, September 10, 2011
Ethan (Knoxville, TN) - See all my reviews
I just received this item in the mail today and started it up. Here's my quick summary positives:

(1) Good image quality.

(2) Works with larger, newer SDHC type cards like the 16 GB I have in it now.

(3) Does auto-rotate according to how it sits. In other words, if you want to look at photos in vertical orientation, load nothing but that type of photo on your card, insert it, turn the viewer to vertical orientation, and you will see them as you shot them. Same applies for horizontal / landscape orientation. You should load each type of photo on a separate SD card so as not to leave unused space.

(4) The 1.6 to 1 aspect ratio of this device is good for DSLR photos because it's the closest thing available to their 1.5 to 1 ratio.

(5) The length of time each photo is displayed during the slide show can be varied according to a selection of discreet settings including 3, 7, 20 sec., 1 min, 5 min., etc.

(6) Photo slideshow can be displayed in a randomized sequence, however, this feature does not include a memory of what has already been displayed. Given the basic laws of statistics, you will encounter a significant and noticeable number of repeats if you play the slideshow in random mode for very long.

For any given number of photos in the set, one can determine the length of a random slideshow such that there is a ~50% chance of every item being unique. For 100 photos, this number is 12; for 1000, it's 38; and for 10,000 it's 118. Bottom line: if you see repeats in the slideshow it's probably not because the unit is broken, but due to the laws of probability and statistics. More photos loaded means longer intervals without repeatition, but the length of those intervals does not increase in direct proportion to the number of photos you have loaded.

The negative:

Aside from inadequate instructions in the printed manual that comes with the unit, I cannot think of any significant problems with this unit. Due to the lack of clear instructions, my initial rating was 3 stars. However, once I read the more complete, digital versions of the instructions, I realized this unit does meet all my needs and raised the rating to 4 stars.

Some minor issues: There is no contrast or color saturation setting on this unit. For color, there is a choice of monochrome, sepia, or color, and that's it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good features and quality for the price, March 20, 2011
My wife mentioned that it would be nice to have a digital picture frame, given that so many of our pictures are hidden away on the computer, most never being viewed regularly. I remember hearing less than glowing reviews of these things in the past, but after doing some research I stumbled upon these units from Sony. The Sony frames appear to be the best-made and with the best software running the device of all that I've seen. A lot of the name brand and no-name frames have buggy, unintuitive software, cheap frame materials, and cheap electronics inside (don't last). These are the only one's I've found that are worth what they are charging for them. That said, I loaded 240 hi-res pictures onto it last night from a USB drive (also accepts SD and others), which took about 30 minutes. The internal memory is about half-full. Without reading the manual I was able to set the system settings to my liking, and the pictures look very good -- surprisingly so. Almost every parameter of the unit is configurable (effects, delay b/w pics, auto pic resizing, etc). The quality of the screen is excellent, the frame seems well-made with decent materials, and it's very straightforward to use. The 10" screen is larger than I thought it would be, which is nice. This particular model is only VGA (800 x 480), whereas the higher models are SVGA (800 x 600) -- I was originally going to get the SVGA, but the additional cost was significant, and this looks pretty good as it is. In terms of value, I think this is one of the better digital frames on the market. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect, December 16, 2010
Kerrpe (Texas, United States) - See all my reviews
Excellent picture, good desktop size. Great that it has multiple ways of getting data. You can also superimpose a clock over your picture which is neat, but not always practical.
The only thing I could think of that it cannot do is that I'd like to be able to set the speed at which the slideshow advances. Apparently you can only show one slide, or have a pre-determined speed slideshow. Great for sharing and viewing, but I'd like to see it change maybe every half hour for my desk. Still, it's otherwise perfect. Well worth the money. Remote is more handy than you would think.
I don't know why you would want the Sony logo to show, but it's nice they allow you to turn that off.

5.0 out of 5 stars The resolution is truly astonishing! Much better than I ever dreamed!, January 15, 2011
I shopped around a little bit and looked at maybe 10 different digital picture frames before buying this one on Amazon. All I can say is this is one of the best buying choices I've ever made, and I'm so glad I did. Just to warn you, this product arrived only today, so I've had only a day to play around with it. But what other reviewers said is absolutely true: the resolution on this digital picture frame is just incredible. For me resolution was all that mattered, along with ease in how images are input into the frame, and this model takes care of both of those. High resolution pictures look absolutely crisp and clear with this frame, exactly as you would see them on a computer monitor, which is what I had hoped for, but I suspected I would be disappointed. The truth is the picture quality is even better than I could have imagined. Let's put it this way, even low resolution pictures (say, 600 by 400) look great in this frame, even though they do appear grainy, as one would expect. But somehow with a combination of the frame's backlighting and precision, even low resolution images appear more clear and clean than you would expect. From a resolution standpoint you absolutely cannot go wrong, especially if you can get this frame for around $79, as I did.

The only cons I have found with this product thus far are that the controls on the back of the frame to set up various options are extremely cumbersome and difficult to get used to; however, the included remote is much easier to use, and after a few clicks you're pretty much ready to go. Aside from that, it's just a matter of inserting your picture media, which basically just means sliding in a standard memory stick or memory card, and selecting how you want the pictures to be shown--either one at a time, several at a time in smaller view, or in various other ways. The other downside I have found is that thus far I have not been able to figure out how to get my pictures to display in a specific order that I choose. The frame seems to have a mind of its own when you're trying put pictures in a specific order. This may just be the result of my own ignorance of how this frame works, given that I've had it such a short time. There are also many features that I find excessive, such as the ability to display about six different types of digital clocks or calendars instead of pictures--why anyone would want to do this with such a wonderful picture frame is a mystery, but you can if you want to.

To put it simply, if you want a good quality, durable picture frame that offers very high resolution and crystal clear photo output while giving you several different, easy ways to input photos, this is definitely the frame for you. The remote is a nice touch also, and it works very well. You really can't go wrong with this frame. My recommendation is fantastic buy, and once other people you know see it, they'll want one, too, so you had better hide yours once you get it! What a phenominal piece of technology!