4.0 out of 5 stars Sony DREX12iP Phone Headset
This is my first review of anything on Amazon.com, and figured that given my previous experiences with Sony, as well as other "high-end" earbuds like Monster and Klipsch that I'd share my two cents about my experience with the Sony DREX12iP earbuds.

First off the Pros:

Published on April 30, 2011 by RZ - resident Amazon shopaholic!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great ear buds, sound good but noisy microphone
Published on August 5, 2012 by D. Taylor

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony DREX12iP Phone Headset, April 30, 2011

First off the Pros:

These are lightweight earbuds, so you won't feel like you have mini weights in your ears (thats what the Monster iBeats feel like when I use them)which means they are great for things like the gym. The iPod controls work as they are supposed to on iOS 4.3.2. and are easy to get to. The silicone hybrid buds do a great job a providing comfort and sound distribution. The sound was clear and I could hear a lot of the little intricacies of the songs I was listening to. usually when you get a cheap earbud, the music suffers but I didn't experience that with these. For the $28 or so that I paid for these I don't feel like they were "cheap" sounding, nor that I bought a piece of junk or something that was over-hyped.

Now for some cons:

I'll admit that when it comes to bass these could do better. You definitely won't get the level of "thump" that Beats by Dr. Dre provide, and I know that I personally feel like my Klipsch S4i's have just the right amount of thump and bass in general, BUT... These Sony's do have bass. I would say that it's just more evenly distributed with the rest of the sound, so you'll know it's there, it just won't have the "thump" you might expect, but still these sound great!

If you're on a tight budget, or just don't want to spend an absurd amount of money for headphones and don't need Bass that can shatter eardrums, then these are an excellent choice!

Thanks for reading!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great ear buds, sound good but noisy microphone, August 5, 2012
When our previous pair of Sony headphones broke we decided to give this type a shot. They sound just as nice and work well, very comfortable ear fitting. They are very comfortable and with the several sizes of ear cups one size will fit you very nicely. I use the larger size, my wife uses the smaller and we are both very happy. Unlike the Apple ear buds, these do not hurt even after an hour of being in your ear. The bonus is that they sound great too. We use these on our bike rides and leave them in the entire ride.

One negative to these is that on the pair we bought, the microphone has a slight rattle when on phone calls. It sounds like the little buttons in the microphone piece for + and - volume is actually rattling and the mic picks it up as a static type of noise. If you sit still at a desk for example it isn't a problem but using the mic on our pair causes this noise. Since we primarily use these for listening to music and only occasionally for calls this is ok, but not preferred. We hope these last as long as out last pair did (over a year of hard use).

3 stars, very comfy nice ear buds, but the microphone issue keeps them from rating higher

5.0 out of 5 stars Love them!, October 9, 2012
Kendall (Raleigh, NC, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony DREX12IPW Earbuds with iPod Remote (White) - Ear set - Retail Packaging - White (Electronics)
First, I can't stand the earbuds that Apple sends with their products. They hurt my ears like no other. So I set out to find some earbuds that were small enough that I could wear for hours at a time. These earphones actually ship with two sizes of rubber ear pieces so you can pick your best size. There's also a distinct right and left side which helps them fit.

I went around to physical stores like Best Buy and others so I could see the size of the buds (and general quality) and I narrowed it down to these ones. Once I bought them, I could not believe how awesome the sound quality is for puny little earbuds, it's seriously great!

I love that there's a mute button, volume, skip song, etc. buttons on the cord which is handy.

I love that they are super affordable. I've recommended these headphones to 5 co-workers (who bought them and love them) and bought a pair for my boyfriend. These are fantastic!

2.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't get these again, October 8, 2013
In regards to sound, I'm a little bit of an audiophile so I might be more sensitive to sound than a lot of people, but I think most people would likely agree with me on this. I felt that the audio focused too much on the highs (sometimes hurting my ears) and hardly had any bass. I'm not one of those people who listens to music with so much bass that your head is about to explode, but I like having a warm bass to give life to music. These headphones hardly have any. I also have the biggest earbud size in so I don't think that having too small a size in is the problem. On another note (no pun intended) they don't break up when they get loud, but I only listen to music at around 50-60% volume. Music wise, I give these earphones a 2/5

I realize that these earphones say they are compatible with Apple devices, and don't mention Android. I have an android, so I can't say much about the buttons.) The volume ones didn't respond on my device though the play/pause/next song button did. Again though, I have Android so I won't judge that. What did dissapoint me was that the mic didn't work! I payed an extra 12 bucks over the basic earphones so that I could have the mic to use in phone calls. The fact that the mic doesn't work is really what upsets me the most. I have had other earphones made for apple that had working mics, and I feel like this one should be working as well. Overall, I wouldn't get this product again if it was me, there are too many other choices out there that I am sure are better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Job well done, November 2, 2012
Must say, I am now addicted to using this every day. It does everything that I need it to. I ordered it for my iPhone 4s.

Pros:
-Works well as regular headphones to listen to music
-Easily controls music & volume for iPhone 4S
-Middle button great for pausing, skipping to next song
-Siri works easily straight from headphones
-No sound distortion
-People can hear my voice easily when I speak into the mic

Cons:
-Volume control doesn't work with my regular iPod/computer/non-phone mp3 playing device

BUT, I bought it mainly to use with my iPhone, I'm perfectly happy with this.

***UPDATE ON REVIEW 5/25/13:
-Since I bought these headphones 7 months ago, I have purchased a MacBook Pro, and the headphones work like a charm on it. And I also got the newest gen iPod classic and the headphone controls work perfectly on the iPod too, I was very pleasantly surprised!

And 6 months of daily use later, not one problem with the headphones yet *knock on wood*

5.0 out of 5 stars Love em., May 6, 2012
I bought a pair of these recently, and I couldn't be happier for the price I paid. The bass is nice and clean unlike other similar priced ear buds.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value and far more durable than Apple's white-buds, December 1, 2011
Ken Randall "Ken" (North Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
I am pretty rough on my ear buds - went through three Apple white-buds with my iPhone3 and two with my iPhone4. Decided to try another brand, got some help in Best Buy - settled on these as a low cost alternative. I have now used them for six months and have not managed to destroy them. They have a wide range of in-ear inserts, I use the smallest as it tends to get the bud set well into my ear for long duration - I even sleep with them in one ear listening to podcasts. Did I mention they are rugged?! Six months and going strong. They are not THE best sound, but far better than the Apple supplied buds!

1.0 out of 5 stars Please do your research!, February 6, 2014
I buy headphones a lot, because I use them for work, driving, and recording so I have a lot of experiencing buying cheap to really expensive headphones. I needed a decent pair of headphone for my job, something I can listen to music and answer phone calls. Got this pair, decent reviews decent price. Left ear stopped working within four days! I have never taken the time to write a bad review before but I am really pissed. The $6 headphone I buy at Walgreens lasted better than this POS, I mean the sound was pretty bad too. I am not a huge fan of SkullCandy but they are around the same price, lasted longer with better sound. There maybe 80 reviews giving 5 stars, but take it from someone who buys roughly 10 headphone a year for different things, these suck and dont waste your money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with anything other than Apple, December 26, 2013
It looks the same as every other model of microphone/earbud combo but doesn't work with any product other than iphones or ipods. Almost any other item of the same category works for any type of phone (e.g. Android, Apple, Windows) but not this one. I bought this as a last minute gift idea since it looks and feels the same as its non-microphone counterpart. If it's not compatible with 99% of the phones out there, PUT THAT IN THE TITLE!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, more comfortable than Apple EarPods, overall a decent purchase., September 17, 2014
These earbuds were purchased to replace a pair of Apple EarPods. On the plus side, they are more comfortable. The Apple EarPods, despite their more modern shape (as compared to previous apple earbuds), would cause discomfort after prolonged use (more than 2-3 hours at a time). The Sony earbuds are definitely more comfortable in that they do not cause my ears to hurt if I wear them too long.

I would say that the bass response is lacking. The sound seems to have a more "tinny" tone than the Apple EarPods which I am accustomed to. Since I listen mostly to talk radio and podcasts with these (leaving music to my "cans" (over the ear headphones)) the lack of proper tone replication is of little concern.

I do enjoy the fact that the in-line remote works flawlessly with the iPhone. As far as I can tell the built-in microphone works as well as the one on the stock Apple EarPods. My complaint is that the remote is located on the left, whereas with the Apple EarPods, it is located on the right. It took a few days of re-training my "muscle memory" to grab for the appropriate side to manipulate the playback controls. I cannot think of a logical reason they manufacture them this way aside from the possibility that Apple has some sort of exclusive monopoly as to which audio channel the remote is located.

My principle complaint is more of a personal annoyance. Since the rubber ear fittings do such a good job at creating a "seal" to bock out unwanted ambient noise, they have the side-effect of making it awkward to hold phone conversations. Imagine talking on the phone with your fingers plugging your ears. I am used to being able to hear myself speak. While wearing these, all external noise is muffled, which is good I suppose unless you are trying to hold a conversation over the phone. It's a bit hard to describe, but it annoys me. In addition, since the fit is so secure, there is the additional side effect of transmission of "noise/vibration" when anything touches/rubs with the cord directly into the ear. The best way to describe this would be the experience of placing a stethoscope into your ears then gently brushing your finger across the input device of the stethoscope (the round flat piece that the Doctor places on you, whatever it is called). This is pretty much what it sounds like when you grab, manipulate, or otherwise touch the cord anywhere near your head while the earbuds are securely placed in your ears.

Overall, they are a good replacement for the price. I bought them because my EarPods broke and I wanted something more comfortable. I do not think I would buy them again, but I do not regret my purchase decision. They work for the intended purpose and were relatively cheap.