5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!
You cannot go wrong with this drive!! It burns all disks flawlessly, including DVD+R DL disks (which are starting to come down in price). I use Verbatim DataLifePlus media (high quality) and haven't had a bad burn yet. I previously owned the internal Sony 510-A which burned perfectly, but was soooooo slow in comparison. This puppy screams!

On that note, I...
Published on November 26, 2005 by spokaneWA

2.0 out of 5 stars Noisy Noisy Noisy!!!
Pros: Burner works great, I've gotten only 1 coaster in 6 months.

Nice design

Cons: It is LOUD!! Sounds like someone groaning. There was some previous reviews of noise factor but I vastly underestimated it. It's hard to concentrate on watching movies. I advise buying another model or even another brand.
Published on January 7, 2007 by Marcos Shih

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!, November 26, 2005
This review is from: Sony DRX-810UL External USB & iLINK Double Layer DVD Combo Drive (Personal Computers)

On that note, I have this hooked up to a firewire port and if you have questions about the speed of firewire vs usb 2.0, you can put them to rest re: this burner because it's amazingly fast with firewire.

You can use this drive horizontally or vertically. If you place it horizontally, it's a little annoying to reach across to push the tray eject button, which is located on the top of the unit if you place it vertically....but...that being said...it's the only con I can come up with.

I like the Nero software, especially Nero Recode which enables me to backup my personal movie collection. As you can tell, I highly recommend this drive!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent drive - fast and no coasters!, January 23, 2006
I purchased this external DVD drive about 3 months ago when it had just been introduced. I was needing to make up back-up copies of my Hollywood and Bollywood DVD's. I have a single layer DVD internal write drive on my computer but this means having two discs for each movie DVD, which is a pain in the neck.

I have always yearned to make single disc copies of DVD movies but the cost of the media was too high to make it ecomically viable. Recently, dual layer media prices have come down.

I researched the new DVD dual layer drives extensively. I tried out the LG, the Maxtor, and the Plextor at home. Unfortunately, I had problems with each of these drives writing to Memorex (by far the cheapest) dual layer media. After several coasters and many hours of frustration, I finally got this new Sony drive from Best Buy.

I cannot recommend this product too highly. It is fast and very reliable. It has a beautiful form factor and spits out fast copies of 2+ hour movies in 10 minutes. I use DVDshrink to rip the movie and then mostly DVDshrink to burn the copy. Make sure that you set the bitsetting to DVD-ROM. This is most important to increase the likelihood that your DVD player will accept the copy. By the way, DVDshrink is one of the most elegant shareware/freeware programs out there.

Ironically I have had more problems burning expensive Verbatim dual layer media. For some strange reason, some of my DVD players will not accept these discs. No problems with Memorex media though!

Nero's excellent software suite accompanies this drive. There are several programs in this suite that are very useful, including Nero Burning SE and Nero DVD authoring.

All in all a truly high quality product - worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and Easy, March 10, 2006
I am by no means a technical person. This drive was easy to set up and use right away. The software that came with it was easy to use as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overall a good product, March 9, 2006
This DVD burner works real fast. No hassles. No issues so far. The only thing you should be careful about is, not to move this drive while burning a CD or DVD. Because even a slight movement during the burning process, will result in a failure.

Besides this problem, in general, this is a great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Drive - Sony DRX-810UL, March 3, 2006
I'm really happy with this drive. Installation was quick and easy. I've made a few copies of DVD disc on Verbatim 16X DVD-R media with absolutely no issues. Fast with exellent results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, March 20, 2006
Tom (Springfield Ma.) - See all my reviews
This is the first DVD recorder I purchased. I used the quick set up guide and I was off to the races. The quality of my recordings are crisp and clear. The nero software is user friendly and makes recording dvds easy. I'm totally satisfied with my purchase plus I'm recieving a [...]rebate to top it off.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wont Open, December 17, 2009
Worked great for a while...
Now it will NOT open which of course renders it into a piece of garbage!

Look somewhere else if you want it to last for a bit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete junk, December 14, 2007
I bought this unit after reading other reviews and shopping around. It worked well for the first 6 months of very occasional burning, but then started acting up. The door stopped working, would open sometimes but not others, and then eventually stopped opening altogether. I might have burned 50 discs on this unit in the time that I've had it, and it burned fine, but the door problem has me looking for other brands for my next purchase. The Sony DRX 810UL has been a complete waste of money for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Noisy Noisy Noisy!!!, January 7, 2007
Pros: Burner works great, I've gotten only 1 coaster in 6 months.

Nice design

4.0 out of 5 stars great look, solid performance, February 20, 2006
fast, easy to use (I'm using Toast, instead of Nero that comes with the drive). Quite fast with Firewire connection. I see many users are happy with Nero, but I still don't feel comfortable using Sony softwares beacuse of their track record of secretly installing a spyware. Works great with Toast on my OSX. looks almost custom made for Macs. It could have been a 5 star product if the price was competitive.

Rate and Discover Movies