4.0 out of 5 stars Handy for the price
Got this camera in Guam during a TDY there. Overall the camera is really good for what it does and puts up with which is why I gave it 4 stars. Here are the pros and cons:

Pros:
1. Camera is VERY easy to use and as previous reviews have stated it can automatically detect which settings to use.

2. It IS waterproof. I tested this and will have...
Published 15 months ago by meathead1986

3.0 out of 5 stars Good photos, so-so video, caused Mac problems
Overall I like this camera. I read other reviews which implied that the construction is flimsly, but I disagree. The camera is compact but solid, and is a good value.

Published 17 months ago by Jonathan K. Perkins

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy for the price, July 4, 2013
This review is from: Sony DSC-TF1/L 16 MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD (Blue) (Electronics)

Pros:

2. It IS waterproof. I tested this and will have pics posted here soon for everyone. Pictures are of adequate quality for a point and shoot. It's no SLR but I didn't expect that when I purchased it. I wanted something mildly rugged and waterproof to take on outings with me but didn't wanna fork out big bucks for a Go Pro... never knew when I'd use it after this trip.. The Video I will give a 3.5/5. This may be due to improper video setup and I'll update this review after I've had more time to use the camera under different settings.

3. Very compact and ultra-portable. This camera has an extremely small footprint and will fit nearly anywhere without taking up too much room. The build quality is very good for the price and I expect it to last a looong time.

Cons:
1. The battery life... It does really kinda suck. That being said it is only 150$ and waterproof. Taking primarily videos i managed to squeeze out an hours with of footage and a dozen pictures underwater. If there were a way to swap batteries without fear of damaging the camera I'd gladly do that. I do intend to purchase at least 1 extra battery in the future and possibly a quick charger if one is available anywhere.

2. underwater when you take video you can hear every adjustment the camera is making with the auto-focus and every time you zoom in and out on things. And its not just a little bit but quite loud. This is something I can deal with for the price and what I need it for though but may be a deal-breaker for others.

3. In order to charge the battery the waterproof door has to remain open with the charger plugging into the inside of the camera itself. I don't understand what brought this idea to Sony (I would have the battery installed in a charger like nearly every other camera out there) so every time you charge it you have to ensure the camera will not fall. To make matters even worse the cord for the charge is quite short (about 2.5 feet). a longer 4-5 ft. cord would be much better.

The things above were not a deal breaker for me as the camera is extremely tough and will be used only during small outings. As a whole the camera is pretty amazing for the price and I do recommend it. If the battery life were longer on it I would have given this 5 stars for sure.

4.0 out of 5 stars A small camera that's easy to use but functionally limited, April 6, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Having been forewarned by previous reviewers that the Sony DSC-TF1 only accepts Micro-SD cards and that none are supplied in the box, I made sure that I had two on hand and I was ready when the camera arrived. The lack of a Micro-SD card in the box is not explicitly indicated so be prepared: you will need to provide your own. In fact, the Micro-SD card requirement for the camera is only indicated once on the box, in the guise of a logo that is nestled amongst other logos. This means that a critical requirement for the DSC-TF1 is easily missed unless the purchaser has been previously alerted. This apparent camouflage is extremely puzzling. There is a small residual charge in the new camera so fully charging it is necessary before initial use. The initial charging can take between 2-3 hours so be prepared to wait. Once charged, it takes about 5-15 minutes to familiarize yourself with the (relatively few) controls and settings before taking your first shots.

Because the camera is limited to approximately 200 images per charge and the charging time is rather lengthy, the DSC-TF1 is functionally limited to those 200 images per day (or until you return home and recharge it before venturing out again). This is a significant limitation which you must take into account before purchasing. If you are a photographer who enjoys taking many images without worrying about time or other constraints, the DSC-TF1 will not satisfy your needs! If you are an occasional photographer who takes just a few desultory images, this limitation will not affect you. The picture quality is good for a camera of this size and with these specifications. There is no significant quality roll-off at the edges of the image, which can be a problem for some cameras in this price range. Once you have familiarized yourself with the camera, taking pictures will be second nature and quite fast. There will be few missed shots. The camera is very light but its structural strength seems a bit attenuated (it's not quite a toy but you won't be inclined to handle it roughly). I didn't take any underwater shots because it seemed prudent not to do so until I felt a bit more secure about its feasibility. The accessories packaged with the DSC-TF1 include an AC adapter, a rechargeable Lithium Ion type N battery pack, a USB cable and a wrist strap. The DSC-TF1 is a good camera for the price as long as you are sure that its functional limitations (i.e. the length of time required for charging and the approximately 200 images per charge) will not hamper you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good photos, so-so video, caused Mac problems, April 13, 2013
Jonathan K. Perkins (Harbor City, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Photograph quality was quite good; I have a few Canon point & shoot cameras (and my wife has a Nikon), and this one matches those for image quality. It also is a bit more automatic than most that I've used before; it chooses modes like landscape, portrait, macro, and night shot automatically based on focal distance and lighting. That was a pleasant surprise.

There were two problems, however. The first (which is minor) is that the camera uses micro-SD cards, and does not ship with one. It may be a worthwhile trade-off to use the smaller cards (smaller camera), but the cards are difficult to install and remove due to both their size, and their propensity to go in "crooked". On a related plus, the camera does seem to have a small amount of on-board memory, but that seemed enough for just a few snapshots.

The more significant problem I had was related to the camera's videos and the Mac OS X environment. I'm using a brand new iMac with the latest OS, and every time I connected the camera (or inserted the card into the Mac) with any video on it, my two media-related Mac OS apps (iMovie and Aperture) would hang. This only happened when the camera/card contained video. Additionally, the video quality was not quite up to par (somewhat jumpy).

I used the camera under water without any problems. It's a nice feature that also allows you to not worry so much when carrying your camera around on vacation and around water. Overall--a good point & shoot, and if I were able to resolve the Mac integration issues I'd have rated this four stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera for the money, May 12, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Since I've been using cameras that are ten plus years of age that not only are battery hogs, but only hold x amount of pictures and are huge to boot, I just about jumped all over the camera when offered it through Amazon's Vine program. Admittedly, I was both trepidatious and ecstatic since the only two reviews at the time said the camera wasn't substantial feeling, so I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered it actually does feel substantial and has a nice weight to it too. The couple months I've been playing with the camera have made me more comfortable and knowledgeable with its functions, but right out of the box it was easy to figure out and use (after it had been charged, of course, which is typically about two hours).

Pros:
- I just love the gorgeous blue color. Yeah, this is a pretty shallow start to the list, but I just had to get that out first.
- The size is just right. I've come across others which just seem too small to comfortably use without fear of dropping it while reaching for a button. Not too small or dainty, but not too large either.
- The display is large enough to get a good gander at what's being shot.
- I've been very happy at the quality of pictures/videos I've gotten out of it.
- There's a thumb indentation on the back and rubber strip on the front for a better grip/hold while using.
- It not only takes photos, but also panoramic shots and video as well.
- Continuous shot. Having cats, I've been needing something like this so I can maybe get one good picture of my cats out of a hundred. Just choose that selection in the menu, hold down the button and voila!
- Accepts the usual MicroSD cards and also some other one called memory stick micro.
- Features an easy mode. The pictures are a different size than on normal mode.
- Easy to use even in normal mode since it has a helpful guide already in the camera. Almost everything in the paper manual is explained in the menu.
- Normal mode has automatic detection settings, such as night and day, focusing, smile detection, and more.
- Never have to worry about using in the rain since it's waterproof. I doubt I'll ever take it underwater so can't comment on that.
- There are numerous settings for one thing or another. Plus editing, beauty and picture effects. I haven't even been able to test them all out yet!
- Not only waterproof, but also shockproof and dustproof as well. I'm not trying out the former if I can help it though.

Cons:
- The camera definitely needs a memory card. One is not included and there's hardly any on-board memory. The camera only took four to six pictures before it was full.
- Awkward charging/computer connection station. The port is located where the battery and memory card slots are, which means the door has to remain open during this time. I'm afraid that eventually disaster will befall it and the door will snap right off. I understand that this design is most likely due to the camera's waterproofing, but it's still not ideal.

Includes:
- AC adapter
- Rechargeable battery
- USB cable (on the short side)
- Wrist strap (it's actually nice, unlike some others I've come across)

Overall, I have been thrilled with Sony's DSC-TF1/L 16 MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD (Blue) and hope it'll last for a reasonable amount of time. With the amount of features, along with the quality of pictures and videos, not to mention the camera itself, the price makes it a real steal. Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this camera - It gets leaked, February 16, 2014
I bought this camera for snorkeling and in the second use, it got leaked and the camera doesn't work anymore. Although I followed all the instructions to seal it when I went underwater, the sealing mechanism didn't work.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked for one day, July 23, 2013
We bought this camera specifically for our family's once-in-a-lifetime trip to Hawaii. On the second day of use it went dead while snorkeling, the screen got condensation inside, and ever since it won't take a charge or turn on whatsoever. I examined it when I came out of the water and the little warning strip on the battery door was not showing, so I don't believe it had anything to do with the door being ajar.

Complete disappointment - and wasted opportunities to take great snorkeling pictures for the rest of our trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sony Camera !, August 9, 2013
First one I ordered had a mic problem so no sound for video, sent it back got a brand new one and it works amazing! The picture quality is so good you could even take black and white with only one specific color standing out...definitely worth my money !

5.0 out of 5 stars Great underwater camera!, September 2, 2013
Works great underwater and takes great pictures! Very pleased with it and have had no problems! Have used it in a swimming pool and then snorkeling at the beach. No leaks and beautiful pics! Even used just for sight- seeing!

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, June 29, 2013
It's a great camera, really easy to use. Love it!!! I already took her to a water park and the beach, and really work under water!

5.0 out of 5 stars buy this product, June 29, 2013
I totally recommend it.has lots of features, the model is beautiful, has everything you need a digital camera.
es una excelente camara