4.0 out of 5 stars Very good compact point and shoot
I was looking for a small camera to keep with me when I didn't want to lug my big and heavy pro grade DSLR, and I'm finding the Sony generally works out for me pretty well. It's easy-to-use and relatively high performance for a compact point and shoot camera, and it's capable of producing good images under a wide range of conditions when used properly.

I...
Published on January 31, 2010 by Busy Executive

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but not the best
I bought this camera after reading, reading and reading some more different reviews and ratings on all the different point and shoot cameras within this price range.

Published on April 16, 2010 by Isabel M. Simonetti

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good compact point and shoot, January 31, 2010
This review is from: Sony DSC-W350 14.1MP Digital Camera with 4x Wide Angle Zoom with Optical Steady Shot Image Stabilization and 2.7 inch LCD (Black) (Electronics)

I usually start my camera shopping by paying close attention to the lens, and the Sony comes with a Carl-Zeiss 4x zoom, biased towards the wide-angle end of the spectrum. I generally favor less zoom range if it means getting a higher quality picture, and this is exactly the approach Sony implements. Yes, you can get 5x - even 10x - zooms in camera like these, but in my experience, the sacrifice in image quality isn't worth it. Sony's 4x tends to mean I get pretty solid lens performance in a useful zoom range. To be clear, any DSLR with a good quality lens will beat the pants off the small lens on this sort of compact camera, but that's the nature of the beast...besides, if I'm doing something where absolute best performance is a requirement, I'm carrying my heavy-duty DSLR and lenses that cost ten times what this Sony does - that's not the mission I have in mind for the Sony anyway.

The 14.1MP sensor seems to be high quality, so long as you're using the camera in well and evenly lit conditions. Where the camera struggles somewhat is low light (high ISO), or when there is substantial dynamic range (difference between brightest and darkest parts of an image). Under good conditions - bright and evenly lit - the sensor provides excellent detail, certainly way more than adequate for email, web sites or prints up to maybe A3 (13x19 inch) size. Still, under more challenging lighting, the Sony may be a bit disappointing...where a large DSLR can capture details in highlights and shadow, the Sony tends to blow out the highlights or will transform shadows into a sea of black. Again, this is really normal for cameras with small image sensors - the Sony's performance is very good indeed considering the small form factor and product price point.

The camera's built-in software is also very good, helping to capture lots of detail even as images are compressed to manageable sized JPG files. In Photoshop, I compared a Sony-compressed image to a similar image taken by a pro grade DSLR, and there are few if any differences due to the image processing. Noise reduction and sharpening is handled well, and there are few digital artifacts visible. This is really the best performance I've seen for a camera in this price range.

In terms of construction quality, the camera is solid and seems to be well built. Most of the controls are easy to use, and you don't get the sense of "fighting" against it. The 2.7" LCD display is sharp and easy to use, although it can be a bit difficult in bright sunlight or for those like me with aging eyes that struggle with small text on the screen. Performance is generally quick, and you're not waiting for the camera to figure out what to do next. The camera is small, and one thing that helps me is Sony's well-designed image stabilization feature. I tend to have a hard time holding small cameras steady, and image stabilization helps me get sharp photos in most conditions.

Sony adds a number of cool features, such as Sweep Panorama, that allows you to take multiple pictures of a scene, and then have them "stitched" together in the camera for a wide panorama view. I have similar software in Photoshop to do this, but it's cool to see it implemented right in the camera. Sony also provides a workable HDR (High Dynamic Range) capability in the camera, giving you a way to handle certain otherwise difficult scenes. Both of these features make up for camera limitations, such as low dynamic range capabilities of small sensors and the limited zoom range. Sony also makes it easy to upload photos and videos to popular sharing sites, saving you a few steps from doing this on the computer.

The camera can also record HD (720p) video clips up to half an hour long. I rarely use this feature, so other than to say it works, I'll leave that one to other reviewers.

I considered several other choices from Nikon, Canon, Pentax and even the new Leica X1. I like Nikon because the software and menus are the same as my DSLR (also a Nikon). Canon seemed to produce slightly better image quality. I've owned several Pentax point-and-shoot digital cameras and found them rugged and long lasting. And of course, the Leica is in a class by itself in terms of quality. Still, while all of these competitors offered unique advantages, the overall package of price and performance seemed to be best with the Sony - at least today.

Overall, considering the price, I'm happy with the Sony DSC-W350 and would recommend it to anyone wanting a low-cost, easy to use digital camera that gives good quality images under a wide variety of conditions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, February 26, 2010
Took a chance on this camera as it was just released by SONY and no reviews were available. But I really like this camera. The pictures are sharp. Color reproduction and exposure is accurate and all of this is done automatically. This camera has 14 mega pixels but I shoot with an aspect ratio of 16 X 9 which uses 10.5 mega pixels. The camera has a panorama feature that with a little practice takes cool panoramas that could definitely come in handy for some landscape shots. This camera has a 26mm wide angle lens with 4X zoom. I love the wide angle which works beautifully with the 16 X 9 aspect ratio. Indoor low light performance has been very good. In bright rooms with the camera on auto flash it often chose not to flash and still the pictures were very good. My other cameras always flash indoors no matter how brightly lit the room was. Indoor shots without a flash create more natural colors. Of course this is probably only possible due to the really good anti shake technology built into the camera. The camera can also shoot hi def movies but I haven't taken any movies yet. One other thing that I like is that this camera can easily fit into any pocket. It is slim and light.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have larger sized cameras with very high quality but they aren't small - the Sony DSC-W350 is., April 4, 2010
J. A. R. Ncp (Cumming, GA USA) - See all my reviews
I wanted a camera that I could slip into my front pocket and not feel as though it was there - the Sony 350 does this. I wanted clear quality pics capturing all the quality of colors - the Sony 350 does this.

I have three large Canon digital cameras which cost in the thousands dollars. They work great - but they cannot fit in my pocket - and I was seeking a small but high quality camera. I spent a year talking with others who had large digital cameras asking them if they owned a smaller pocket one - the overall answer was a Cybershot. Didn't really matter which model they owned, they were all very satisfied with the Cybershot. The Cybershot's lenses is made by a German engineering firm. No other pocket size camera has such quality.

So the question for me was which model, and that took four months of debate. I am satisfied with the Sony DSC-W350; I would purchase it again. It actually has more features (shot, video, etc) than I was seeking, and I may never use the video feature since I am primarily a still photo shooter.

I will chat about the camera below, but just want to say three quick things if you decide to purchase this camera. It initially needs 8 hours for a full charge on the battery. The internal memory is very small - spend the money for a larger size memory. I purchased 8 GB - which I had purchased 16 GB since on a trip there isn't always the ability to download the pics to a laptop or computer. If you are good with figuring out electronics (or owned a digital camera before - the six page book and your ability are sufficient to launch right off into a trip). If you need more info - you will have to load the disc for the full manual. I left on a trip two days after the camera arrived and was able to operate it fine without the full manual, but when I returned I dug into the manual for answers to all my many questions.

I was going to purchase the Cybershot via Costco (yes, between Costco and Amazon it constitutes 96% of our household purchases - we have even purchased lawn mowers via Amazon). But, with not having to pay the sales tax on Amazon I was able to take these monies and use them toward an 8 GB memory.

This isn't a major negative, yet I want to mention it. The standard digital (larger quality cameras) can take a pic directly into the sun. There are times when you have no choice to move around - such as on a ship, or other confined areas. The sun washes out any view you have in the viewfinder with the Sony 350. None of the Cybershots can do this. And, from my research I did not learn of any pocket cameras that could. Again, one cannot have everything in a pocket size camera. It isn't a major issue, but if one is use to taking pics into the sun (if you own a larger quality camera) don't be disappointed when you cannot with the Cybershot.

With my larger Canon cameras I very rarely use a flash in dim lighting and due to the camera's ability the pics are great. The Sony 350 does not have the ability to take pictures in the no flash setting and capture quality pics with dim light. One cannot have everything though with a camera that can slip into your pocket. (The Sony 350 has an fast button for clicking flash on and off.)

When I go on trip (though age 63) I still make the trip an adventure as though I was in college. I also run full and half marathons. I wanted a camera that I could take with me when on occasions a larger camera wouldn't work. The Sony arrived one day before I left for the NYC Half Marathon. I purchased the Sony 350 to carry with me on the this run. Yes, it is that small, it can fit in your fist. It was covered with sweat but still took great pics and had no problem later with the sweat being on the camera, and the camera working fine. The camera was passed around to others running in my group so we all part took in enjoying pics of each other. I couldn't have done that with one of my larger cameras.

I took the Cybershot (along with a Canon) with me on a camping trip to Alaska in the early Spring - still below freezing with snow everywhere. I gave the Sony 350 to the other person, and they had a blast taking pictures on their own. The other person has never owned a camera yet still took great pics - that's the quality of this camera. We camped at the base camp of Mt. Mc Kinley (or Denali) and the Sony was in the snow often - never bothered the camera's ability to continue to operate.

I now leave the Sony 350 in my car so it is readily accessible. It is so small it can easily be kept in many locations not visible to a person looking in the car. There have been many times over the many years I wish I had a camera with me to take pics when I had not planned on doing so. Oh, I have a camera on my cell, but the quality (as we all know) is limited. The Sony 350 is small and captures the pics I want.

I will always take the Sony 350 with me on trips, along with my larger Canon cameras. I can keep the Sony 350 in my pocket at all times, and capture many candid pics that I couldn't have done with the Canon since everyone would know I was in the picture taking mood with a larger camera. The Sony is also very easy to use, and folks will now say - let me take a pic of you. They won't do that with my larger cameras - they were too intimidated by the larger camera (full of buttons and switches on the Canons).

I would purchase the Cybershot again. My only regret is I should have purchased it a year earlier to have part take in the fun of having a pocket size camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good point n shoot with a few qwerks, February 24, 2010
I've had this camera for a few weeks now and I'm still tinkering with all the settings so I know there's more this camera can do. I'm just an amateur but I love taking pictures and am trying to use this camera not only for personal use but for artistic photography as well. My main comparison though is an old 7MP Cybershot DSC P200 so it's better than that.

The good:

- The automatic settings work pretty well for me so far. I like the advanced scene recognition mode which will automatically take 2 pictures in lower light, one with the foreground more lit up and one with the background more lit. Produces some fun results(see customer shots).

- Decent low light pictures, not too much noise.

- Face recognition is great, it even picked out my dog's face a couple times hehe.

- The panoramic feature is neat just practice using it a couple times to get everything in (or stop) right where you want to.

- The LCD screen is big and bright enough to see if the pictures are blurry or anything like that so that helps a lot.

- It starts up super fast, well I don't have much to compare it to but it's great for me. If something's going on I can get the camera out and press the power button and it's ready to go as long as I have it on the right settings before I turned it off.

- Light weight and very slim. Even in a case I can fit it in my small purse and carry it wherever I go. Sometimes I have to double check that the camera is even in the case because it's really light.

The not so good:

- Washes out often. I took a trip to the park on a lovely sunny day and it seemed like every other picture I took was washed out. Also if I was even partially pointed towards the sun (not directly at it) I would get large lens flares. The flash really washes out the foreground as well, I'm not sure if it's just because you can get so close to your subject with the wide angle lens or if it's because the flash is overpowered.

- Can't zoom in much. The 4x optical zoom is great but that's as far as you can go at the full 14 MP fine picture setting. If you want/ need to zoom in more you have to go down to 10MP and then it gets a bit blurry.

- No zoom with the panoramic feature. You also have to just practice and get a feel for how long the panoramic is going to be with this feature so it may take a few trys to get the picture to start and stop right where you want it to.

- The power button is tiny and flush with the body of the camera. I have small fingers so I can usually press it when I want but I've had to resort to using my finger nails sometimes to turn the camera on. Someone with large fingers might have troubles getting the button to fully depress.

- Only pressing the shudder button halfway is sometimes a challenge. It's very easy to accidentally take a picture when you were still trying to just hold it halfway to focus.

Overall for the price and for being a point and shoot it's a nice little camera. I'm sure once I figure out more of the settings I'll get some better results and the automatic settings have been pretty good to me so far. My complaints aren't enough to make me want to take the camera back I think I just need to get used to it a bit more.
I hope this helps :)

4.0 out of 5 stars nice point and shoot, January 23, 2010
I had the camera now for two days. There is nothing really negative about this camera. The pictures are sharp, great colors, it's easy to use, all important features are there and work as advertized. The display is great, the build quality is solid, it is small and lightweight. The objective with a 35mm equivalent zoom from 26 to 105 is great. I often found with my old camera that I can't get all people in the picture and there is not enough room to back away to get a larger field of view. The 26mm wide angle helps a lot. In addition you can use the sweep panorama function. It works very good and is very fast. It just needs some practice to get good subjects beyond the usual panorama sceneries. Super Steady Shot is great.

So to help in a purchase I write about missing features. This doesn't mean the camera is bad. For $200 it's a steal!

-In camera HDR would be great
-No exposure bracketing mode (but you can shoot from -2EV to +2EV manually).
-Panoramas are limited to 1080pixel height x 7500 pixel wide. I had hoped to get higher resolution from a sensor that has 3000 pixel vertical resolution.
-No remote control
-Unfortunately Sony offers no waterproof cameras.
-Video is 720p max. 1080p would be nice but is not necessary either
-more colors would be great

As you can see it's hard to find something negative about this camera at all.

The only negative I found so far is that the camera has one slot that takes either SD cards or Memory sticks. This means that inserting the memory stick is a bit tricky compared to older cameras that have only a dedicated memory stick slot. But it's not a big problem either.

All in all highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but not the best, April 16, 2010

The first one I received was defective (it had a big purple glare or light on half of the screen so I couldn't see the image properly). I returned it and ask for a replacement (Thank God for Amazon, they rock!!!)

I got the new one today and this is what I can tell from the few pictures I've taken:
1) The shutter lag or speed from one picture to the next is really fast, I love that! I have a toddler that doesn't stay in the same position or give me a big smile for the camera for more than 2 seconds.
2) The performance in "low light" situations is perfect when you are not using the zoom. It is completely unacceptable if you use the zoom.
3) The performance in bright light situations is excellent sometimes and very bad others (even if you haven't changed the settings and the light didn't change at all!). If the sun is on the person in the photo the result is a picture where the subject looks like he/she is on fire.
4) The colors are very different from the natural colors in bright situations. I took several pictures of my friend (she is a blonde) and in all pictures her hair looks red.
5) The little "switch" to open the battery and card compartment is very delicate and kind of "cheap". I'm afraid is going to break very soon.

Bottom line:
Good camera when it feels like it!
It definitely doesn't delivers as promised. For me it will have to do because spending $200 in a camera is already to high of an investment to me.

4.0 out of 5 stars WSC350 Nice little package, March 20, 2010
Although I have been a Canon fan for many years I decided to give Sony a try.I read reviews stating that there were problems with the photos and was almost convinced to pass on this camera.I have taken pictures for three days in sunlight,dim light and in almost no light and have found this camera simple to use and have gotten what I feel were great results.I take alot of photos but I am not a pro so I tend to like everything on a point and shoot camera simple. This camera could not be easier to operate.When set on auto it is truly a point and shoot I would definitly reccomend this camera to any one.The only problems that I have found is that is is so small that it is a little hard to hold so don't let go of the wrist strap.Also your finger prints wind up all over the LED screen so carry a glass cleaning rag with you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony DSC-W350 14.1MP Digital Camera Review, March 29, 2010
As most of the digital cameras from sony, the Sony DSC-W350 14.1MP Digital Camera is also a good product with some interesting features.
1. Size of the camera. Its almost like a phone that you can put in your pocket.
2. Sweep panorama mode where you can capture a wide area.
3. Zoom while taking a video.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome point and shoot camera, May 13, 2010
From the product research I've done, this camera has the best features for the price. Even though I have brand loyalty to Sony, I seriously considered comparable Nikon and Canon cameras before deciding to purchase this one. The easy mode is great, the intelligent scene selection is especially helpful in low light settings because it automatically takes a second shot with different settings so you can choose the best one and I have already been glad for that. Its nice to be able to turn all the auto modes off as well to shoot manually. The menu is straight forward for the most part, although there are times when I am still looking in the wrong place for a setting. The macro mode is also very nice for a point and shoot and I have taken gorgeous close ups of jewelry and flowers.

Picture quality is wonderful and so is the HD video quality, for the value. The panoramic feature is a bonus that similar cameras do not offer, although I haven't tried it out yet. Small, lightweight size fits easily in a lady's jean pocket or purse which is a huge plus!!! Yes, the exterior is plastic-y but for the price point and value, I'm very pleased. Internal memory is low, but to me that is not a big deal at all because I'm used to relying on memory sticks and to me the only purpose of internal memory is as a back-up if your memory card is full.

I have a 7 year old Sony Cybershot with 3 megapixels and it still works perfectly, but I needed a higher res model. The Sony products I have purchased within the last 10 years still function so I am usually willing to spend a little more for Sony products because they have always lasted. Product longevity is something that really contributes to saving our environment as well--the longer we keep and use a product the fewer cheaper models end up in a landfill somewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another WONDERFUL camera!!!, May 13, 2010
Sony DSC-W350 14.1MP Digital Camera with 4x Wide Angle Zoom with Optical Steady Shot Image Stabilization and 2.7 inch LCD (Blue)

I bought my first Sony Cybershot in 2005 - it cost me $100 and it lasted just shy of three years. So in December of 2007 when I went to replace it I looked at many different kinds: more advanced cameras, that didn't fit the kids-concert-park-beach-camping lifestyle I live. I needed something small and fast. I tried the Coolpix and the FinePix cameras because they we in the price range and they had similar features. None of those cameras come close to the performance of a Cybershot. In the end I bought my second Cybershot. That one didn't last as long, though I have to admit it was put through A LOT. I literally tossed the little camera in my purse. It's been assaulted by pens, lipstick, spilt lotion and left in the well-over-108^ car, until finally that camera bit the big one after only being alive two years.

`Kayso, on to the DSC-W350 - AWESOME! It takes pictures fast - and by that I mean the time between actually pushing the shutter and getting the picture is practically non-existent. It really bothers me when taking pictures of our kids or our ani-babies and by the time the shot it taken the shot was ruined. NOT WITH THIS CAMERA! HA! Charges last fairly a long time; I however will not be without a car charger and a spare battery, that's just me. Pictures are sharp and color is true! While it could take a picture or two to get used to the panoramic this is nothing to worry about, I found using this feature EASY! [On a side note about the color, I got the blue as all my cameras have been blue and I was pleasantly surprised that the blue is a much richer, truer blue than the screen lets on.]

Will be using the video to review my Flip tonight (`cause I can't vlog a flip review using the Flip, duh! Will update after I have some pictures to upload! Hope this helped.