This little Sony camera is very compact and light, and is a good starter point and shoot at this price. I take lots of pictures, so I was able to put this camera through its paces over about a three-week period. Here is a run-down:

The Good
- Very light and fits in any pocket
- Relatively low cost and does not "feel expensive", so I do not hesitate...
Published 13 months ago by Mark B

2.0 out of 5 stars hated this model
This model seems so old. Thick in size and LAGS when taking a picture. Press the button to take a picture and wait 10 seconds for the device to actually capture picture. This is the first sony model I did not like. Low quality camera.
Published 7 months ago by B. Hoover

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent point and shoot, but you may outgrow it in several months, June 12, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

The Good
- Very light and fits in any pocket
- Relatively low cost and does not "feel expensive", so I do not hesitate to just toss it in my pocket or bag
- Has proven to be rugged. Has survived abuse (per the above bullet) very well
- Love the "Easy" feature. It detects background light, fast action, faces, and other photo situations automatically. You can override this feature in the menus option.
- Has plenty of photo-taking options such as landscapes, beach, toy, b&w. As mentioned below in not-so-good, these features are pretty cumbersome to get to.
- Picture quality is very good for this price range. There is no RAW file option, so you are totally dependent on the camera's JPEG processor, which is okay but has a lot of interpolation. It is a little slow to process, but definitely adequate below $100.
- Uses SD cards, not the proprietary memory stick that Sony had used in the past.

The Not So Good
- Very menu-driven, so it takes time to find a photo feature (such as toy, b&w, beach, landscape, etc.) and you could miss your shot. Best to stay in Auto/Easy mode since it does a decent job of choosing for you.
- You have to navigate the menu to deactivate Easy mode before other options become available to you. This will slow you down a lot and may cause you to miss some shots. Ideally they would have any Easy mode on/off button on the camera itself.
- The processor is slow, so there is a noticeable pause between shots. The continuous shooting mode labors through about one shot per second.
- The post-processing and photo enhancing features on the camera are of limited usefulness. For example, it has a face enhancement feature that I found was only slightly effective. You will do MUCH better using your inexpensive desktop photo software to add enhancements. IMHO, this feature on the camera is more of a gimmick with primitive algorithms.
- Sony has opted to use a non-standard USB connector. I like standard connectors that can be shared between devices. For this one, you will need to carry around the cord if you want to charge the camera's battery or transfer photos using USB.
- To charge, you plug in the camera. The battery is removable, but the camera does not come with a separate battery charger, so you have to use the camera as the charger. In other words, you cannot charge a spare while you are using the camera. There may be an accessory for this, but then you are spending extra $$ on a low cost camera.

Recommendation
If you want a low-cost, decent point and shoot, this is a good choice, particularly if you want to stay in easy mode most of the time. If you end up loving photography, or if you are already an experienced photographer, this camera will feel light on features and customization options pretty quickly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Little Cam that Could, May 24, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am not going to write a lot about specs but maybe I should note a few features:

- Resolution up to 16.1 MP
- 5x zoom
- Accepts several types of memory cards: Memory Stick (Pro Duo, Pro-HG Duo, Duo, Micro), SD, SDHC, microSD, microSDHC
- Rechargeable battery, AC charger, wrist strap and semi-proprietary USB cable included
- Small and light
- Photo, 360-degree panoramic and 720p video modes
- Tripod socket
- Relatively easy to navigate menus
- Some image processing capabilities
- Several levels of 'ease of use' from nearly full automatic to allowing you to set some basic parameters

This is a 'cheap' little camera price-wise but it's a quality build takes surprisingly good pictures when use on full-auto and even better ones if the operator has some basic skills. Yes, it's not a DSLR and it doesn't support Wi-Fi or Bluetooth or 'location' but if you can live without it and you have a kid that wants a camera and don't want to spend a lot getting him one, this is as good a pick as any.

Yes, nothing is perfect. I do NOT like Sony's insistence of requiring a non-standard USB cable for charging and data transfer. While you can get around it when it comes to your memory card's file management, you must have a less common UC-E6 USB cable for charging the battery. And based on on my prior experience with a Sony Alpha, their tech support either don't know or won't tell you that you can buy a generic cable but will happily grossly overcharge you for a 'branded' replacement.

I also wish the camera came with a case or a little bag, anything to protect it from scratches. Yes, we can supply our own and Sony will be happy to nickel-and-dime you a little and sell you the Sony LCSCSQ Soft Carrying Case for Sony T, W, and N Series Digital Cameras (Black) but I would have preferred to have it as part of the package.

Not a negative at all, but it's worth noting that you need to supply your own memory card because the camera 'as is' can only take about 3 pictures. It's not a negative because you should be the one to decide what you want and in what size. After popping in a not so expensive Transcend 32 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card the camera tells me that it can take 4710 shots at the highest resolution. Not bad.

To conclude, I like Sony's camera a lot and I may end up buying another one for my wife who wants something very small that is 'not a phone'. A case and a more standard USB cable would have made this a 5-star rating but 4 stars (I like it) is not too shabby.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good camera, April 6, 2013
I got this camera on sale for $65 and think it's definitely worth what I paid for it. At the retail price of $98, I think it's an okay buy, but I probably would not pay that much for it. This is an entry-level camera with a handful of special effects. If you're looking for a fancier camera that takes sharper photos, you should probably look at cameras over $100 retail. Even though it's a 2012 model and not being made anymore, at the time I'm writing this review (4/6/13) I recommend the DSC-W650 model over this one for an extra $21 (or less). Though megapixels and zoom are the same as this camera, the nicer lens on the 650 will give you sharper pictures. That being said, this camera also takes some pretty nice pictures. Images on the LCD screen may appear low quality while taking a picture, but images definitely look sharp once they've been taken. The menu is easy to navigate and it's simple to change between effects like toy camera and partial color mode. Videos look pretty nice as well. The camera is small and thin enough to fit in your pocket. The zoom feature, image quality, and special effects take this a step above many cell phone cameras. If you have a decent cell phone camera and don't care about the special effects of this camera, I recommend looking for something more expensive or just sticking with your cell phone. For a budget camera though, you get a variety of nice features and good image quality. It's good for kids and teens and for people who want something very portable and easy to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Picture Quality, May 18, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is the fourth or fifth Sony camera I have owned and there's a reason I keep buying Sony: good picture quality. Natural lighting pictures look amazing. Flash photos are very good and you are able to adjust the brightness of the flash to suit your needs. While I prefer to use auto settings for most everything the nice thing is that there is always to option to adjust different settings as needed. 16mp is pretty much overkill but for someone looking to make large prints than you have that choice. Video quality is excellent. The camera is very compact and I probably don't want anything smaller. This camera allows both sd memory cards in addition to Sony's memorystick which gives you flexibility. If there's a negative it's that the battery now needs to be charged in-camera versus in a stand alone battery charger. You connect the camera with the batter in it via a cable to either your computer's usb port or a wall charger that has a usb connection. Either way the battery has to charge in camera which I find inconvenient. The other negative which is new to this camera is that after clicking a picture there is a delay of 4 seconds for the picture to show up on the screen. A little annoying because you want to be able to take a photo and quickly see the result. Previous Sonys I've had were almost instantaneous in showing the picture on the screen. Still this is recommended because the picture quality is good even using auto settings making this a solid point and shoot. 4 stars out of 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars this camera is awesome..., December 16, 2013
This review is from: Sony DSC-W710 16 MP Digital Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD (Silver) (Electronics)
I was using someone else's expensive camera and it was so difficult to use, I couldn't even figure out how to turn off the flash. This camera, is so easy to use, the menu's do not even need the owners manual. I had it figured out within minutes after turning it on. A very good camera for the price!!!! The only important thing is that the camera will only work with up to 8GB SD card. I bought a 16GB and the camera would not recognize it. But even so, with a 8GB at highest resolution, I have 1120 pictures available. Very nice.

4.0 out of 5 stars BASIC ENTRY LEVEL CAMERA AT A DECENT PRICE!, May 22, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
No, this camera doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the more expensive cameras but it's not expected to since it is a basic entry level camera. For my needs, it is perfect. I don't really need super high def pics since mostly what I use a camera for is to take pics of items I plan on selling on ebay or maybe uploading some photos of family(pets included) and friends on one of the various and numerous social sites on the ol' interweb. There probably is better entry level cameras out there for the price, but there's so many it's hard to know which is which. What I can say for sure is that this camera gets the job done if your needs are basic and it's easy to use. It took me about 2-3 hours of "fiddling" around with it to get the hang of it.

I've had it almost 2 days now and have had no issues with it holding a charge. I also like that this is a really thin and sleek looking camera. Stylish I guess you could say. And it seems pretty durable although I don't plan on dropping it anytime soon ;) The bottom line is this: If your needs are basic, like mine, and you don't want to spend countless hours researching cameras on the net, then do youself a favor and buy this badboy. For the price you won't find one much better or with many more options on it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Low Cost Camera, August 27, 2013
I wanted to have a decsent, low cost camera that was small enough for a small belt carrying case,
was easy to use, took good still pictures and could shoot 720 HD video.
This camera did exactly what I was looking for.
You could, of course, pay more money for an expensive camera with mega more features, but this camera is
perfect for travel, vacations, family gatherings, etc. which you can take anywhere you go without
the fear of losing big bucks should you accidently damage it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony 16 MP Digital Camera, July 27, 2013
This is a great little pocket camera for a quick point and shoot item. I carry it with me almost everywhere and especially on a m/c ride. The pics are clear as long as you keep the little guy steady. An easy to use camera and holds lots of pics for your downloads.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great budget camera!, June 2, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First and foremost, Amazon shipped fast, arrived on time and in good shape. I have been a lifelong Canon user when it comes to small personal cameras. My Prior three cameras were the Canon Powershot SD110, S410, and then the S11000. All those camera's were great, but I noticed they never last me more than a couple of years (mostly due to the extracted zoom lense locking up upon power on). I decided to try out a cheaper Sony camera for once, and this one fit the bill (about $40 cheaper than a powershot). After using it for a couple of weeks, here are my thoughts.. If your looking for a under $100 camera to throw into your purse or pocket, this is the one. The picture quality is great outdoors (indoors is ok), the video quality is adequate, and the rechargeability is quick. The negatives are of course you need your own memory card. Definitely pick up at least a 16gb card (about $12). The camera doesn't come with a case, but those are like $5. Overall, I recommend this camera to those looking for a cheap alternative to picture taking, or someone who just wants an extra camera as a just in caser.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Camera But Video Did Not Work On My Blu-ray Player Because of File Format, June 19, 2013
scesq "scesq" (New Milford, New Jersey USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like this camera a lot. For a simple to use camera it has a lot of great features. One problem I have though is it won't play video I took with the camera on both my blu-ray players because of the file format of the video.

The Bad:

My one big issue with this camera is the inability to play video from the camera on either my Sony or Panasonic blu-ray players because video on this camera is stored in an avi format which is not supported by either of blu-ray players or my tablet. Also, if you have an older PC that does not support 720p HD the video may not play well on your computer.

I called Sony and was also told that while other Sony cameras will allow the video to be stored in multiple formats this one will not. The suggestion I got from Sony to use a third party application to change the video to another format. I bought an SDHC video card to do this.

One other minor issue is that it comes with a cable that connects to the camera and has a USB connection at the other end. This cable is used not only to connect the camera to a computer to transfer photos, but also to connect to an AC adaptor to charge the camera (while the batters is in the camera.) The AC adaptor is small and could be lost easily. Plus if something happens to the cable you can't charge your camera. I have another camera that has both a battery charger/cable as well as a separate cable to connect the camera to a computer to transfer photos.

The Good:

This is a very easy camera to use. I think Sony had the human thumb in mind when designing this camera. There is a button on the back of the camera that changes the focus from zoom to wide angle, a menu button, a control button and mode button and all are in places where my thumb easily can access them.

The Sony software with this camera makes it easy to transfer photos to a computer and edit them. I have tried software from other manufacturers and Sony's is the best by far.

The Panoramic Mode button is fun to use. When you get into the mode you see an arrow and boxes on your camera. You then move the camera in the directions of the arrow (to the right) while pressing down on the shutter button and are told when to stop. The camera puts the pictures together and the result is a panoramic view.

The zoom and wide angle features are easy to use. You just press on a button with your thumb to move the lense.

For the most part technical support seems to be above average. I have been critical of other manufactures technical support but Sony's seems a step above. I called with issues of not being able to watch video from my camera on both of my blu-ray players and on my tablet a couple of times and the agents figured out with a minimal of looking that the video on the camera can only be saved in avi mode. I also called regarding questions about an HDSC memory card and the agents were pretty knowledgeable.

I am pleased with the photos. The camera has features standard to most cameras that allow you to let the camera decide how best to take the picture so if you just want to point and shoot you can. I have not tried to edit a picture on the camera so I can't comment on this feature.

Conclusion:

This is a good simple camera with some nice extra features. It is easy to use with good technical support. I gave it four stars because of the video issue mentioned above.

Rate and Discover Movies