Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Andra Day Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Disney Infinity 3.0 Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day

on May 21, 2014
♦ Brief ♦

The W830 is within Sony's "budget" range of compact cameras and is available for a fairly low price, but sacrifices a lot of extra features the more "premium" cameras have, such as WiFi, NFC, extra zoom and better components etc...

This camera comes in our different colours (black, silver, purple or pink) and is so compact, it can fit into the palm of my hand. It's also very comfortable camera to hold and is very light in weight.

Photo quality is okay, it can take some pretty decent photos but due to its small sensor, quality is going to be limited.

♦ Box Contents & Recommended Extras ♦

- Box Contents: W830 Digital Camera | Battery | USB Cable | AC Adaptor | Power Cable | Wrist Strap | Instruction Manual.

- Recommended Extras: SDHC Memory Card* | Spare Battery.

* There's no flash memory(well, enough to take 4 photos), so getting one of these are a must! (You can go for any brand you want, however I would recommend a memory card with no less than 8GB memory capacity & of class 10).

♦ Ease of Use & Navigation ♦

Personally, I found the camera really easy to navigate around, both externally and internally.

There aren't too many buttons located around the camera like you would find on the more advanced cameras.

To select which shooting mode you want (photo, panoramic or filming), there is a little slider on the back that allows you to switch between each one.

When it comes to different modes within the cameras software, just click the menu button and scroll through. You have four different modes to choose from:

Intelligent Auto: "Exposure adjustment with automatic settings".

Program Auto: "Auto exposure with adjustable settings".

Picture Effect: Choose between the "Toy Camera", "Pop Colour", "Partial Colour" or "Soft High-Key" effects.

Scene Selection: 11 different pre-set modes to choose from that will adjust the settings for different scenes, such as "Portrait", "Landscape", "Night Scene", "Beach" & "Snow".

Compared to how other cameras handle taking panoramic photos, Sony's cameras makes it really easy to take such photos, you literally press the shutter button and sweep the camera from left to right, which it then stitches them all together for you.

Movie mode there are only two settings to select from; "Auto" & "Picture Effect".

♦ Photo & Video Quality ♦

A higher mega-pixel count in a camera does not mean it's going to have better photo quality compare to a camera that has less mega-pixels, there's more to it; sensor size, lens quality & the imaging processor etc... The more mega-pixels there are, means the larger prints you can get without the loss of image quality, but if you don't have a decent photo then you're just left with having an oversized photo that takes up more space on your memory card (Roughly 7.5MB per photo!).

Baring in mind this camera is more towards the budget range, the quality isn't going to be crisp, and unfortunately after dealing with some higher-end cameras, it's made me notice the poorer quality much more than what I would have done so beforehand.

So photo quality results I've had whilst using this camera have been a mixed bag, many shots taken have looked pretty sharp, clear and genuinely really good, whereas other times not so much with photos looking blurred and a bit grainy.

This camera performs well outdoors in decent lighting; landscapes, portrait or taking photos of flowers came out really well in my opinion, only rarely would I have a random problem with exposure.

With the zoom, I had a lot of issues regarding to the focus, on the camera screen I wouldn't think twice, but it's when I have the images on my computer, I notice the images are actually blurred... Ooops, too late for retakes!

Low-lighting conditions are a hit or miss with this camera, most photos come out okay, it's only when you start zooming into the photos you'll notice the slight noise that comes with the photo, other times the noise can be apparent straight away, along with the photo not being as sharp as it could.

Panoramic images looked great with the image zoomed out to fill the screen on my laptop, but when you zoom in you can tell the quality isn't quite there.

Using the 720p setting when filming videos were okay, nothing special but is at a level where it's good for home videos etc... That's about it.

If there is one thing I could say that really bothered me, it would be the screen. In-low lighting conditions, the screen can seem fuzzy and there is some very noticeable lag when moving the camera around.

♦ Final Opinion ♦

The W830 is an okay camera, not the best but certainly not the worst. Its size will be very convenient for people who want a camera that can simply slip into ones pocket, and most of the time can deliver decent snapshots, with the ability to zoom in 8x to get those out of reach subjects.

This camera definitely has its ups and downs so I've listed the ones that have stood out to me during my use.

✔ Pros:
✓ Very compact.
✓ Comfortable to hold.
✓ Easy to navigate & use.
✓ Has the ability to take some decent photos.
✓ Partial colour is a really cool mode that singles out a single colour in a photo (blue, green, red or yellow).
✓ Sweep panorama mode makes it simple to take such photos, all in one sweeping motion.

✖ Cons:
✘ Poor in low-lighting conditions.
✘ Sometimes struggles focusing when using zoom.
✘ Video quality not the best.
✘ Screen looks fuzzy when in low-lighting conditions.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 20, 2014
I'm a professional photographer an I owned two additional Sony cameras (DSLR-350 & 100) and my DSC830 performs as well or sometimes better than my larger cameras. It's lighter to carry and much smaller so I can take with me all the time to capture current events and incidents I see in my daily travels. My enlargements from my DSC830 are just as clear as professional as if they come from my larger cameras.
grhphotos
Gary R Hudson
Corning, California
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 9, 2014
For a basic snap camera the W830 is fine. Lots of tech features for various shooting modes but within rather limited shooting options and I think this is what the majority of buyers for this type of camera want, also I think the compact size is a strong selling point.

Outside on a bright sunny day it works perfectly and the zoom delivers good results. Movies and sound, for very basic shooting, are reasonable. The panorama option I thought was really rather superficial, far too short at a few seconds to do anything creative though maybe useful if you wanted to shoot a room interior or line of people. Nice of Sony to replace the rather ungainly zoom lever on the WX80 with a much more easy to use toggle switch on this camera.

The downside for me with the W-830 are not the images but a couple of other areas to do with the camera and Sony. The battery/card cover is rather flimsy and could easily be broken accidentally and it takes longer than I would have expected for the camera to get ready for the next shot, no doubt to do with the 20.1 mega pixels. Sony persist in producing dedicated accessories for their products. Here you get a USB cable to connect the camera to a pc for charging or downloading images, this looks like a unique Sony connector cable (it will not even fit the slightly older WX80 camera) so make sure you don't lose it. Of course you can take the card out and download images with a reader but you can't recharge the battery without the Sony cable, even using the mains charger that comes with the camera you still have to use this cable from the charger to the camera.

The Instruction Manual is just a concertina sheet of one-side printed paper and only covers the very basics. Fortunately Sony provide a downloadable PDF Manual on their US website.

If you want to take straightforward record-of-the-moment shots the W830 is as good as any other compact camera.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 23, 2014
I recently bought the Sony DSCW830 as an upgrade from my Sony DSCWX9. My former camera seemed to be having trouble focusing, a lot of pictures were turning out blurry no matter what I did, but it had been a really great camera with lots of cool and helpful features, the panorama feature (about 180 degrees) was awesome, and at 16.2 megapixels the resolution had been top of the line when I bought it.
This one, the DSCW830, I thought would be even better. From the summary it seemed to have the same special features, an 8x zoom instead of "just" 5x zoom, and it had better resolution at 20.1 megapixels. Also, the panorama was described as 360 degrees, which I took to mean literally 360 degrees all in one shot.
Sadly, even though it's only been a few days since it arrived, I don't like it nearly as much as the first one I had. You have to hold the camera perfectly still or the shot will be blurry. The only way I've been able to get it to take a clear picture is if I set it on a hard surface and push the button, not holding it at all. The panorama feature is not 360 degrees all in one shot - it's 180, like my old one. The menu has fewer features and effects (soft skin, soft background, landscape, night portrait, night scene, low light, gourmet, pets, waterside, snow scene, and fireworks, while my previous camera also had backlight correction, anti-blur, twilight, white balance, metering mode, and face detection). The new DSCW830 is also smaller overall, and even with my small hands I find it harder to handle with the difference in size.
If you've never had a really nice camera before, this would probably seem like awesome camera to have, and the simple menu features and ease of use probably makes it a good one to start with. However, I'm going to give the new DSCW830 to my kids to use, and continue using my old DSCWX9 instead. In my case, the DSCW830 just isn't an improvement in any way except more megapixels.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 30, 2014
Terrible picture quality. I had previous good experience with Sony's CyberShot model line and Carl Zeiss lenses, and that's why I bought this to replace my 9-years old Canon PowerShot A400. To my disappointment, not this time!

I took the same frame with this camera and my old Canon that I must have put at least 10,000 shots on, compensating for the difference in focal depth by stepping backward for a mere 5-6 feet (the Sony has a wider viewing angle than my poor old Canon). On the surface, both shots looked ok. On 1:1 scale, the details and edges are completely smudged and lost with this Sony. The tired lens of my 9-years old Canon was able to produce a crisper shot overall and captured more fine details of near and far objects in the frame. Mind you, I had both shots set at the same ISO and light conditions. I have uploaded and noted the pictures of the 2 cameras for everyone to see. The should by under Customer Images page http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B00HNJWUBI/ref=cm_cmu_up_thanks_hdr

Then I thought about the difference in Megapixels. The Canon is an old 3.2 MP, this one is 20.1 MP. I'm guessing that the Sony's processor is unable to utilize all these pixels efficiently in the time the camera takes to shoot the image. My experience with older DSC CyberShots have been amazing. But this was also around the time when 4 megapixels was considered high-end for point-n-shoot cameras. So, this is all speculation. But, the bottom line remains: A new camera is unable to produce a crisp, clear, fine detailed image as a 9-years old one with 1/6th the megapixel power and outdated processing technology.

I still love an value Carl Zeiss optics. In fact I own several interchangeable lenses from this company and they are superb in every aspect. I just don't understand how Sony managed to smudge this lens's reputation so badly by installing it in this particular model.

Another possibility is that this particular camera was a lemon, but I don't have the time or energy to order a replacement just to verify that it was actually this particular piece and not the entire DSCW830 line.

Thankfully, it only took me 3 days of testing to make up my mind and decide that I'm not interested in paying for a new camera that gives out pictures that are worse than the one I'm trying to replace. I already started the return/refund process with Amazon and shipped it back yesterday! 5 Stars to Amazon though for their return/refund policies.
review image review image review image review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 7, 2014
I have used Sony Cybershot cameras for a lot of years. This particular model is better than the norm with an 8x zoom. The lens is better as well. Being a Ziess.

Also you can charge it without removing the battery by USB.

For a compact camera that covers all the bases you can't go wrong.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 12, 2014
This is the best low priced camera I have ever used. I've shot with high end SLRS, DSLRs, film & digital point & shoots for 50 years. I shoot regularly with a Nikon 5200 but carry this W830 with me all the time in my pocket. I can pull it out in an instant and it responds quickly. The resolution is outstanding and the wide angle is sharp from corner to corner. I have enlarged shots to 13" X 19" with no discernible difference with any DSLR shots I have. It's cheap enough so I'm buying another for a holiday present.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 2, 2014
The spectacle of this tiny camera is big, when you consider its' tiny size. I bought the camera for its' large 20.1 sensor, but mainly because it boasted a premium Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens. The results are unmistakenly grand.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 29, 2014
I love this Sony camera.. The quality is superb. This is my second camera from Sony... It is easy to operate and takes beautiful pictures.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 17, 2015
Purchased this camera based on reviews and thought that this would be a good choice after miss placing our Coolpix. Camera is small and lightweight which is a plus, unfortunately the camera really does not take quality pictures and the lag for taking pictures from the time you depress the button is far longer than any of my previous half dozen pocket cameras prior to this one. Understood that this is a budget camera, but I have always purchased budget cameras and this camera is the worst performer {vs Nikon, Kodak, etc} that I have experienced. I have been very surprised at the reviews vs what I have experienced. If you do not mind the 1-2 second lag (which is an eternity for capturing the moment} then you will be fine with still shots such as landscapes and such. But if you are purchasing this camera for family moments that are not staged {ie please wait and pose for 30 seconds) then this will work, but if you are like me with two kids in the age of 8 and 6 and wanting to capture moments in sports or just in the family room, this camera will frustrate the heck out of you. Hate to be negative, but this camera has been disappointing for sure. Updating a week later, camera still not taking good pictures, can not set action photos easily and auto tracking is a pain, me and girlfriend could not find how to manually set the camera to take action photos, pictures continue to come out blurry, will not buy Sony again, from 2 stars to 1 star as I tried taking pictures for my daughter's birthday at a venue and almost every picture came out poorly, not what I am used to in a pocket camera.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...