4.0 out of 5 stars Get the camera but dump the 18-55 lens
I'm happy with this camera. However, the development of digital cameras is very fast so the camera is likely to be behind cutting edge in a couple of years. I bought this camera because it is not that expensive, so one can always upgrade. Some good and bad things:
- Steady shot makes it possible to take very sharp pictures at 1/15.
- Quite decent performance up...
Published on November 10, 2009 by Jackal

UPDATE: I got the camera back from warranty repair. Yes they did repair the steadyshot function, but after the repair the viewfinder display is not working. I am afraid the Sony service center damaged the camera. I tried to contact SONY about it but got put on hold indefinitely, and my emails have never been answered.

====

I chose to buy this camera...
Published on March 3, 2011 by Andy Kudlicki

4.0 out of 5 stars Get the camera but dump the 18-55 lens, November 10, 2009
Jackal (New Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Alpha DSLR-A550L 14.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens (Electronics)
- Steady shot makes it possible to take very sharp pictures at 1/15.
- Quite decent performance up to ASA 800. I can go up to ASA 12,800, which results in noise, but also sharp pictures in very low light. If you like me hate using the flash, this is great. I'd rather have grain than flat flash light.
- Very sharp live viewfinder. I cannot do without this facility anymore. Not many higher-end DSLR cameras have this function yet.
- The autofocus does not work that well in low light. I don't know if other cameras are better. However, the Manual Focus Live Viewfinder function is very good when using manual focus in low light and low contrast settings.
- The camera isn't well prepared for HDR (high dynamic range). There is a built in function (works just so so), but I'd rater be able to do bracketed exposures in 1 or 2 EV steps. That is not possible. I can do bracketed exposures in 0.3 or 0.7 EV steps but that isn't really useful for HDR. Clearly Sony is holding back on performance for the next model in 2010.
- The camera fits okay in my standard male sized hands. Bigger might fit better but it is also nice that the camera is not bulky.
- Information panel is informative, except for ASA level when using ASA Auto setting. It would have been very nice to know what ASA level the camera decide to use when in Program mode.

If you buy this camera, skip the 18-55 lens and go for the 18-250 lens instead Sony SAL18250 Alpha DT 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 High Magnification Zoom Lens w/Lens Hood. It just doesn't make sense to buy a USD1,000 camera and fit it with a USD100 lens. The longer zoom is a good allround lens. A bit slow, but with an amazing range, 27-375 35mm equivalent. I actually don't find a 200mm zoom that useful, but when you can go up to 375mm new opportunities open. If you want to spend some more dollars, get the 50mm f/1.4 lens. That lens will function like 75mm, which is not optimal, but that is really the only chance of getting a wide open aperture lens. (Sony also sells a 35mm f/1.4, but that is very expensive and has received poor reviews.) The advantage with the 50mm f/1.4 lens is that it is full-frame so it can be used when you later upgrade to a fullformat camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony a550 review, November 30, 2010
As a first, the Sony Alpha a550 is a great starter camera. Its not bulky, and is also light. Which makes the camera so easy to carry around. 7 frames per second provide an extremely fast camera. Mostly, what I love about the Sony a550 is the ease of use, by providing hints and notes on every option to be used.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Step-Up From Entry Level DSLRs, May 13, 2010
Amazon Customer (Twentynine Palms, CA) - See all my reviews
Since the other reviews have quite a bit of practical information in them, I thought I'd post one that was more of a gut reaction from a new user. What it lacks in detail, it more than makes up for in brevity.
I own an A700, and love it, but wanted a good back-up camera/second body. Naturally, I kept going back to Sony, since I have quite a bit invested in glass and gear.
Unfortunately, none of the previous models felt quite right in my hand. The grips all seemed too slight and uncertain. I have big hands and long fingers (perfect for a pianist or strangler, not so hot for a DSLR shooter,) so finding a camera with a "good feel" is a bit tricky. The A550 fits the bill (and my hand,) quite nicely. For me, it's a great second camera. I also found it be fairly responsive and easy to use, as well as alot of fun. I may never take full advantage of all
the "bells and whistles," but they're alot of fun to play with, and may come in handy from time to time as well (a bit like an amp that goes to 11.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wowzers!!!!, October 11, 2010
I've had Sony digital cameras since 2000.

THIS ONE is absolutely superb!

I'm almost looking forward to seeing what they come out with NEXT!!!! But right now I'm having too much fun with this baby.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DSLR for the money., November 10, 2010
mrh06827 (New Hampshire USA) - See all my reviews
I own a Konica Minolta 5D and just bought this Alpha 550 as Sony bought Konica Minolta DSLR line.
My current lenses are all compatible. (a mount)
The features on the Alpha are awesome even if your just a beginner you will quickly come up to speed.
The anti-shake is built in to the body so lenses are far less expensive.
There is HELP for every setting right on the view screen.
The newer models are just coming out so the prices are the lowest they have ever been.
I am quite pleased with this camera.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away from Sony DSLRs: bad quality, warranty repair service horribly slow. Service center seems to have damaged camera., March 3, 2011

====

I chose to buy this camera rather than a canon or nikon because I have several lenses from my old minolta 35mm dynax (maxxum).

What I like about it is the handling - it does feel good in the hand, some of the available features (especially auto HDR), the high sensitivity of the CMOS detector (ISO up to 16,000).

What I do not like is the feel of the standard 18-55 lens.

I am not thrilled with the menus - they are not very intuitive to me.

What I actually hate is the quality of the camera and Sony's warranty service.

The image stabilization stopped working after several months of light use (maybe 500-1000 shots per month). As a result not only was there no stabilization, the sensor was permanently in an extreme position, resulting in images getting significantly shifted from what I saw in the viewfinder (or on the lcd screen when using secondary sensor). When using an ultrawide lens this also caused vignetting on one side of the image.

I sent the camera back to SONY for warranty repair - they promised that it will be ready in 10 days, but in reality I had to wait over a month before I got it back. And this was after a few phone calls in which the repair center promised to expedite the work... Do not know how long it would take without the calls.

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of Junk broke in 8 months Sony would not fix it, August 22, 2011
I purchased this camera in 8 months later it just quit working. I sent it in and was told the camera had corroded and was not covered in warranty. I used this camera in normal use and always in ideal conditions. I had this camera always stored and used with a 15 year old Canon SLR which is still working fine today. Sony refused to repair stating I did something to cause the corrosion. They wanted me to pay $450.00 to repair the camera. Don't buy Sony they do not honor the warranty. I would understand if i dropped it or left it out in the rain. But under normal use that is just ridiculous. I can't believe a multibillion dollar corp such as Sony would be so lame as to not honor their warranty. Beware and avoid Sony!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Got it for a gift, November 29, 2010
Terry Hoobler (Birmingham, Alabama USA) - See all my reviews
I got the SOny 550a for a gift, so about all I can say is the reviews are very good and I hope my loved one likes it as much as the reviewers.

Rate and Discover Movies