5.0 out of 5 stars This Sony is Worth a Little Extra
Published on December 19, 2010 by MWebb

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad for Kids
3 stars for quality of playback, remembering place on DVD when powered down elegantly.

However if you are using this for your kids the DVP-FX750 has several very serious design flaws, especially if you are using this in a vehicle:

1. The player will charge only if powered off (it will not play a DVD and charge at the same time).
The unit is...
Published on November 21, 2010 by Jo Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars This Sony is Worth a Little Extra, December 19, 2010
This review is from: Sony DVP-FX750 7-Inch Portable DVD Player, Black (2010 Model) (Electronics)
I purchased my unit on sale at Target. I have seen these units on sale or online for about 40 percent off list price and Amazon usually has a similar discount but Amazon's prices "float" all the time so be sure to comparison shop and shop weekly or even daily on Amazon if you are price sensitive. While I purchased my sample of this review unit from a "bricks and mortar" retailer, in the past I have purchased other items from J&R, the seller currently listed for this unit, through the Amazon Marketplace program and they are a very reliable Amazon Marketplace seller. You can also log directly onto the J&R Music website, comparison shop, and use your Amazon account to place your order directly through J&R which is very convenient.

I am very happy with this 7" Sony. It has the "standard" resolution (which is to say, 1/2 DVD level) of most portable DVD players. Subjectively speaking, the image quality is about the same as pre-digital TV broadcasts which is more than enough for entertaining kids, the most common use of these players. The sound quality through the built-in speakers is also pretty decent, enough for kids watching DVD's at home in their room, and there are dual headphone outputs for better quality listening (or listening in a car without annoying parents).

If you want higher resolution, this is the only unit I know that offers true DVD resolution (800 x 480 pixels):

Sony DVP-FX950 9-Inch Portable DVD Player

It costs a lot more due to that higher resolution and the bigger screen, and it is not usually discounted as much, proportionately, as this smaller unit.

(I searched and found two different 9"/high rez models, the FX950 and the FX930 and I am not sure of the differences; I think I have the FX930; currently these are only offered by Amazon Marketplace sellers, but Amazon usually stocks them.)

This 7" unit has excellent "on machine" controls which should suffice if the remote is lost; the remote makes access to some buried adjustments (as noted by another reviewer) easier. The remote is as large as a TV remote, much larger than the small ones that come with most regular DVD players (that hook up to TV's) these days, and in fact much larger than the remote that comes with the 9" high rez edition.

Battery life is sufficient unless you are taking a long flight (not many portable DVD players go on flights anymore, what with netbooks and iPads and Touches). The player comes with both a home charger and car charger. I don't think the unit will charge and play at the same time, but it WILL play on external power, either on the home charger or the car charger, which is probably the most important issue.

Build quality is EXCELLENT. My wife picked up an RCA 7" portable player for only 10 dollars less than this one at Target around Thanksgiving and the build quality on the RCA is very disappointing in comparison, as are the controls.

Colors and brightness are EXCELLENT. More importantly, this Sony has good view angles. The RCA my wife bought has a peculiar view angle - you have to tilt the screen slightly toward you to get optimal image contrast and brightness. The Sony has MUCH better viewing angles.

All in all this is one of those instances where paying a little more (perhaps) and buying a brand name (Sony) is well worth it. I highly recommend this Sony portable player.

Also, if you don't really need the higher resolution, there is no point in getting the 9" edition, since the difference in screen size doesn't add up to much at typical viewing distances. The 9" is much larger and heavier if you have to lug it around.

Finally, I really like the "resume" feature which lets you re-start DVD play where you left off after powering down, assuming you haven't changed discs in the meantime. It means not having to search for the spot where you left off.

A note on how I use mine: I have bunches and bunches of instructional DVD's I like to watch. I have been searching for an easy way to watch them, since I usually only watch 5 or 10 minutes at a time (it's the most I can absorb before brain freeze). Resetting the main home TV center from whatever device it has been running last (Roku? Apple TV? DVD?), and turning on the TV, player, amplifier, and pulling the last DVD left in the player (and finding where it goes) and putting my current one in, are steps that add up to more trouble than they are worth. Using this DVD player means I can turn it on with one switch and watch anywhere in the house...or in the car...or in a mall while the family is shopping. Turn it off, and it resumes on last chapter I watched. Very handy for golf players, tennis players, martial arts, or hauling to the patio or spare room for an aerobics or yoga session etc. These things aren't only for kids and Barney.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, November 2, 2010
Barb "ILoveCakeandIceCream" (Portsmouth, Va United States) - See all my reviews
This is a great portable dvd player. I bought this for my boyfriend so he didn't have to watch his dvds on his laptop in bed. The volume is loud! I can hear it in the other room, and I have had to ask him to turn it down a couple of times. It's lightweight and easy to carry. The picture quality is great as well. Overall, I am very impressed with this, and coming from Sony, I knew it would be a dependable brand. I ended up buying one for myself (except I got the white one).

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad for Kids, November 21, 2010

The unit is frequently without power when out of the vehicle, unless we bring it inside to charge overnight. (our 12v accessory ports are not powered when the vehicle is off).

2. The (huge) remote has no on/off switch.
The only way to turn the unit on/off is using a switch on the side of the unit (can be hard to get to when mounted in a vehicle)

3. The hold button is directly adjacent to the POWER button. We frequently end up turning the player off when only trying to turn off/on the hold.

4. The hold button does not disable the eject button.
The hold button is useless for preventing kids from interrupting playing.

5. There is no easy way to adjust brightness
Our other players have a button to adjust brightness, for this player it's buried in the menu tree.

6. There is no easy way to adjust screen width
Our other players have a button to stretch 4:3 content, this player buries it in a menu tree.

7. The unit is very finicky about how the disks are loaded. Until we got used to this, we would often get the "could not load dvd" message because one side of the DVD was not properly pressed in to the spindle.

8. Battery life is short compared to our other player.

Most of the above problems would not be a big deal for an adult, however if you are getting this for your kids there are much better options available.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new DVD player, September 22, 2010
Deb P. (Nampa, Idaho) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace my old Phillips brand, which was starting to do funny things as it played--sound and visual out of sync, skipping, etc. The new Sony is excellent, it runs quieter (the old one always had a"hum" as it ran), and is easier to use. I highly recommend this product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Portable DVD Player, November 29, 2010
arf "mrsndiaye" (Cleveland, OH USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my 3 year old to use, which she does with supervision. As long as I turn on the hold button, she's prevented from doing anything stupid with the buttons. It has great volume and picture for someone her age. My ONLY gripe with this product is that it does not charge the battery while the device is playing. But, that's okay because it comes with a wall and car charger--it's great that you don't have to buy these seperately. It comes with a remote also.

**UPDATED**
After only having this item for 5 months, the dvd door will not close. We took good care of it at my house. I've tried several things to get it to work, but it won't close. That's not good for a Sony product. It plays just fine, but what's the use in that if the door won't stay closed so the dvd can play????

5.0 out of 5 stars "Cannot Play this Disc" Error SOLVED, January 7, 2012
Mine is a little over a year old and started giving me intermittent "Cannot play this disc" errors a few months ago, and this week gave it to me with every disc I tried. After Googling around I hit on the solution: I opened the unit and wiped the glass laser head gently with an alcohol-infused eyeglass cleaner wipe. Problem solved. Try it before you buy a new one!

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not Buy!, July 15, 2012
DO NOT BUY. Player died after 3rd use in a year. "Can Not Read Disk" error. Tried fixes from online sources, none cured it.

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT Portable DVD player, September 19, 2010
I bought the older model 730 from Sears on close out and recently bought the 750. Only diffii battery life ( as per Sony) is the 750 is 3 hours and the 730 was 5 hours. Easy to use features for my 9 &10 yr olds who now avev their own DVD for trips...no more fighting over what movie the both will watch. Got a car seat hanging case so teye can watch with the DVD in full flat open position. Resolution is perfect for the size. Cheaper models like Coby and the others have big pixel res that's annoying, not this Sony. highly recommend this unit because it even includes a REMOTE!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't play CD's or DVD's!, August 21, 2011
I bought this to play classical CD's that were purchased, and some that were recorded off my home theater CD player. I wanted to listen to classical music while reading in bed and thought it nice to be able to play DVD's occasionally, too. I didn't want to buy another CD/Clock radio as I didn't need a boom box.

It worked fine for 1 month. Then suddenly it wouldn't play the same CD that had been playing nightly, for a week. There was an error message that said "Cannot play this disc"...So I tried another, then another, then another, and got the same error message. So, I tried to play some of my DVD's and got the same error message: "Cannot play this disc." It spun for a few seconds and said "loading"...then stopped with same error message: "Cannot play this disc."

I fiddled with the settings and hoped that I had accidentally moved a switch to the wrong position. No luck. I re-entered all the settings to see if there was something different that would work. No luck.

So, now I am stuck with another piece of electronic garbage to pollute our landfill. What a waste of time, materials and money! Don't buy it!

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS!!!!, December 16, 2011
Wish I could give this zero stars! This player died after being used 6 times over the course of 3 months!!! We were so frustrated, but that was just the beginning. We tried to access the warranty (which had expired days before the player died). Then we tried to exchange our broken player for a refurbished player from Sony (for a $35 fee). We sent our broken player to them for exchange, but they sent our broken player back to us saying we hadn't provided a receipt (the receipt was in the box they sent back to us with their handwritten notations) or paid the fee (which we had). We finally gave up after talking to countless customer representatives, being given countless numbers to call, and speaking to countless managers that gave us the run around, blaming us and each other. An expensive, poor quality product and abysmal, inept customer service. DO NOT BUY THIS! We wish we never had. We will NEVER purchase any Sony product ever again.

Rate and Discover Movies