5.0 out of 5 stars Sony 9" Portable DVD Player
The Sony DVD player works great. It sounds great and the picture is great. The price was even great. I would definitely recommend this particular DVD.
Published on June 28, 2012 by Lori Woolsey

3.0 out of 5 stars Do your homework
Published on March 19, 2012 by Mike

3.0 out of 5 stars Do your homework, March 19, 2012
This review is from: Sony DVP-FX96 9" Portable DVD Player (Electronics)
I picked this up for the sole purpose of being able to stream movies from a USB device, which it's supposed to support. I get home and read through the manual only to discover that it only supports .mp4 format. This is not a major problem since I can convert other formats, but for the non-technical person this may be an issue for you. Where I really started having problems is when I plugged in my USB stick. I powered up the unit and got....nothing. I opened up the manual and saw a suspicious comment about supported USB devices. When I Googled the devices, lo and behold, they're Sony USB devices. According to the manual, if I insert an unsupported USB device (i.e. external Hard Drive, etc) I'm supposed to get an error screen. No such screen appeared for me. In fact, nothing at all happened. The light on the USB stick didn't come on so I'm not even sure if they device can see it. In case you're wondering if I had a bad USB stick, I've tried three different sticks of different size and manufacture. Zip, zilch, nada... So, I'm left to speculate that one of two things are happening. Either my USB port is DOA (possible, but unlikely) or Sony devices only support Sony USB sticks (more probable and not mentioned anywhere except a vague reference to supported devices on page 13 of the manual). At any rate, I'll be promptly returning this for a refund and I'll make sure that I bring along my USB stick to try out on the next device I buy.

As for the rest of the device, it works great. If all you want to do is watch DVD's than this device is for you. The two headset ports were another deciding factor for me as I have twins. I also like the 'hold' switch on the side of the unit that locks out the menu buttons on the device so curious fingers don't stop the movie. The unit is light enough to carry around that toting it to the restaurant is no big deal. I would recommend a carrying case, however, to organize (i.e. prevent the loss of) power and I/O cords. The swivel screen is a fabulous feature and makes the unit compact so it's not very obtrusive when out in public. The volume is a little low (it's fine in a quiet room, but it can be hard to hear in a noisy restaraunt). The volume is not a problem when using headsets so maybe I'm just being picky.

Really, the only thing that irks me about this product is the problems I'm having getting the USB port to see a USB device. Again, if you're only watching movies on DVD than this is the player for you. However, if you were looking forward to viewing photos or video from a USB device than make sure it works before you buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony 9" Portable DVD Player, June 28, 2012
Lori Woolsey (Wellborn, FL United States) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact, light, USB works fine, March 30, 2012
This review is from: Sony DVP-FX96 9" Portable DVD Player (Electronics)
Small and light. The swivel screen is very nice--it can be laid flat (like the old Windows Tablet PC's). I bought it mostly as a cheap way to play digitized movies using a USB drive. Simply re-encode your movies to MP4 ('simple' profile) and slap them on your thumb-drive. Freemake Video Converter can be downloaded freely and will do this (the standard MP4 setting seems to work fine) quite easily. I've tried this with multiple USB drives up to 32GB in size and everything went smoothly.

Those MP4's are not exactly the most compact, so be prepared to use up a fair deal of space on your thumb-drive. Sure, other codecs would be nice. But what do you want for $99?

I have yet to test the battery life under USB-only. I suspect it would be on the high end.

[2013 Update: It served its purpose I'd say this type of product has been well superceded by things like the Samsung Galaxy 2 7" tablet - not all that much more expensive and *way* more flexible. Digitize your DVD's into almost any format, put them on a 32GB microSD card and go to town.]

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth the Money, February 18, 2013
This review is from: Sony DVP-FX96 9" Portable DVD Player (Electronics)
I purchased this DVD player for one reason, to keep myself entertained on frequent cross-country flights. It serves the purpose well, and for a much lower cost than an I-Pad. My only complaint, and it's minor, is the control functionality is not the best, often requiring numerous steps instead of one. But, overall it serves its purpose well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong power cords, January 2, 2013
This review is from: Sony DVP-FX96 9" Portable DVD Player (Electronics)
I was looking foward to using this DVD player but had to return it. The wall and car chargers were the wrong ones for the device!

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding sony the best!!!, May 17, 2014
This review is from: Sony DVP-FX96 9" Portable DVD Player (Electronics)
outstanding sony the best!!! well worth the extra bucks other not as solid as the sony had mine over 2 years

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice machine, March 2, 2014
This review is from: Sony DVP-FX96 9" Portable DVD Player (Electronics)
I bought a few of these for my daughters to use on road trips or at night if they wanted to watch a movie in bed. They've functioned flawlessly. The picture quality and sound is very nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for travel, February 21, 2013
This review is from: Sony DVP-FX96 9" Portable DVD Player (Electronics)
It's easy to operate and plays great. It's light enough to take with me on long rides so that I can watch movies and TV shows to pass the time. Minor problem though, the charge runs out in less than 5 hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, October 10, 2012
This review is from: Sony DVP-FX96 9" Portable DVD Player (Electronics)
Excellent condition. Worked great! Battery life was good. My daugther was quiet the entire way to LA watching Dora! The picture quality was nice. The wireless remote was a great feature also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony DVP-FX96 9" Portable VD Player, June 18, 2013
This review is from: Sony DVP-FX96 9" Portable DVD Player (Electronics)
This is exactly what I was hoping for and this model has become rare. It is wonderful in quality and size of screen, Thank you for having a vendor who carried it.

I wish things did not get developed beyond the good stage into a more "modernized" model...antiquating the earlier one. This model is superior.
Nancy Morse