Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Showing 1-10 of 52 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on December 24, 2009
I've had this player about 2 weeks and we are on our second one. After seeing how well the replacement unit was packaged I'm thinking that the problems that developed with the first unit were because it was shaken too much during shipping (no inflated air packs, just two deflated sections sitting in the box). The second one is so filled with air packs that I can't shut the box flaps to put it in the closet just in case.

We are happy with the functions (although eject on the remote would be nice) and I got lots of hugs and kisses from the kids last night when we were able to watch Shrek again for the first time in a week. I'm pretty sure I owe my thanks to whomever packed that second box for being a hero last night.

While I'm not happy that we had to order a replacement & that I'm going out on Christmas Eve to ship the original back, I'm very happy that Amazon made the process simple and that they cross-shipped the replacement.

Edit on 1/14: The second player is working great. It's already outlived the one it replaced. No problems, no complaints, it's a nice basic player.
on January 26, 2010
I was thrilled with this DVD player when I first got it. The price was great, performance great--it even played some old, scratched dvds that our other player wouldn't. Problem is, the warranty is good for 90 days and our player stopped working after 4 months. Frustrating. Did I just get a bad one, or is that all I can expect for the cheap price? I still haven't decided.
on June 20, 2011
Very slim profile standard definition DVD player, sleek and works well. I bought this unit for my Dad's birthday, and had it direct shipped to him. Problem was that the first unit Amazon sent did not work at all. Amazon's customer service took care of that by shipping a new unit, then having the defective unit picked up the next day. It seems others have had similar problems with the players not always working out of the box. A little annoying, but solved by Amazon's great customer service. The second unit worked fine, and my dad is happy with his gift.

Couple of things to note, this unit DOES NOT upscale, it is standard definition only. It does come with a composite cable (red, white, yellow), but you can get a slightly better video by adding an optional component cable (blue, green, red), which the unit does support. It also is a great picture viewer, my dad uses this function to view digital pictures I send him on CDs or DVDs. In addition, it plays a pretty impressive number of audio CD formats.
on November 6, 2010
Seems like a nice DVD player, but just stopped working after 11 months.
The Sony Warranty isn't helpful--they want 30 dollars so they can send me a refurbished one (w/o a warranty I assume).
on April 16, 2011
This DVD player worked great for 6 months. We bought it because the price was reasonable, and, because we're still watching movies on an old Sony WEGA Trinitron CRT TV, we couldn't justify an HD quality player. The picture and sound quality were fine, and it was less than 1/2 the size and weight of our 20 year old Sony player. But it has just started skipping and stopping during playback - exactly the problem our old player had. I put the same DVD in a spare DVD player that we won for free (no-name and cheap!), and it played perfectly. Of course, after 6 months, it's probably cheaper to replace it than send it in for service on my dime for shipping and labor. Disappointed after the old Sony lasted for 20 years.
on May 8, 2010
I have another model Sony DVP-NS57P for a over a year now, and very happy with it (cost about $50). Due to I watch lecture many hours a day, so average life for my DVD players is about a year, so I always look for good price model and stock up. After my other models/ brands that cost $200, $100 ones died so soon!

I like this one, because it cost me $40, and Sony name just a great value. I was very happy when I first started to use it, it's smaller size then NS57P that I use at another room. (not the mention cost $10 less) I don't need fancy functions, but most important for me is the Resume, which I can keep watch after turn the disc back on. And this is advertised as "Multi-Disc Resume -6 disc". I just need one disc.

After just one month of usage, the Resume function just died, even the screen still saying it will restart when turn back on, it's not working. I go over the menu and tried different disc because that might be the cause, after couple of weeks and several different discs later, I know it's broken. I brought 2 of this machines, one still in the box, I am not sure if it will happen to that one too, but for the time been, I will look for another model just in case. I will update this review once I have more information.

9/2010

Just couple of weeks ago, I put in a disc that I watch previously to watch again. The machine could not read, and made really bad noise. I thought-it's going to die now, I took the disc out and put some other disc in, it works, but straggle a little. It's like near death experience for the DVD player, (since I had many of them die on me, so I know how it is!) my point is, the resume function is back, I do not know why, maybe just some kind of malfunction before, but for now, I am happy. Now I just hope the machine will work at least a year or longer.
on March 2, 2011
This DVD player does the job just fine, but in quiet parts of the movie you can hear the DVD player humming as it operates. I wish it would run a little quieter.
on March 20, 2012
I ordered this to use when I replaced my older bedroom TV, which had a built-in DVD player. I have a good Toshiba player in my living room, so just wanted something inexpensive to play movies on in the bedroom. It is very, very lightweight and slow to respond to commands like on, open & close, but once it's playing it's OK. One complaint I have is that this is the first DVD player I've used that does not allow fast forwarding of movie previews - I get an on-screen message saying this action is not allowed. Had I known that, I still might have purchased it, because of the price - but if I'd found one that allowed me to fast forward through previews for just slightly more $, I probably would have chosen that. I'd say this is fine if you just want an extra DVD player & won't use it often.
on June 13, 2011
I purchased two of these little DVD/CD players; one to use watching DVDs and a second for my office to play music. Both machines have a longer load / disc reading process than other players I've owned. Even when playing CDs, these players take about 5 seconds to read the disc before playing the music. I like that they are small and therefore are easy to place, but I don't like the long loading time.
on August 28, 2011
Excellent product. I really enjoy the quick response I get when using the play, fast-reverse & fast-forward features. It starts and stops on a dime. Also, I love the feature that allows the user to hear sound when in fast-forward or fast-reverse. I hooked this DVD player to my 15 year-old 19" diagonal Sanyo TV and the picture quality is crisp and clean. Superb images for an analog TV.

Because of the age of my TV set (ANALOG) I had to order a "RF Modulator" (RCA CRF907 Compact) for about $12 and a 6 foot gold-plated coaxial cable (RCA VH606N Digital RG-6 Coaxial Cable) for about $5. It took me about 10 minutes to configure everything and I was up and running and enjoying my favorite movies.

Keep in mind that the function that allows the users to switch back and forth from the TV and DVD player doesn't work for me because my Sanyo TV is too old. So I have to turn off the DVD player in order to watch cable-TV. I like to believe this is not a problem for people who own a HDTV.

BOTTOM-LINE: buy it, it's a great player, especially for the price...$34 and free delivery.

RECOMMENDATION:
I have but one or two gripes about the player and the remote control.

DVD PLAYER::
How hard is it for a multi-billion dollar company like SONY to create LED lights or glow-in-the-dark icons for the front panel of the DVD player? There are ONLY 4 buttons on the front panel, On/Off, Play, Stop and Eject. All 4 buttons are hard to see even when the living-room lights are on. I have to use a flashlight sometimes. The 4 icons are too small and the dark color gray is simply the wrong type of color to use since the DVD player is painted black.

BACK-LIT REMOTE CONTROL::
I enjoy watching my movies in a dimly lit or completely dark room with a big bowl of hot butter popcorn and an ice cold bottle of Samuel Adams. So when I'm watching "An American Werewolf in London", I get a big kick out of watching certain scenes over again, and AWL has a lot of great scenes to watch over, again and again.

However, that enjoyment becomes strained when I have to turn on the lights to see the buttons on the remote control. This is a sad issue with all manufacturers of DVD players that include remote controls with their systems. What's the big deal?

How much does it cost SONY to produce a simple little thing like a TV or audio-stereo remote control, with a faceplate and buttons that are "LED back-lit" or glow-in-the-dark icons? I've seen lighted universal remotes for as little as $5. Surely big companies like SONY can afford to provide a lighted remote control with their electronics. No one in the R & D department thought of this?

OMNIDIRECTIONAL REMOTE CONTROL:
So here I am watching "An American Werewolf in London", one of my favorite scenes is where the man in the subway begins to hear a faint growl. He starts to slowly walk away from this low growl but it keeps getting louder and louder. So he starts to run and that's when he sees this horrendous monster stalking him, and that's when it is usually the time to get some more popcorn & beer from the kitchen. So without thinking, I jump up with the R/C in hand, walk quickly to the kitchen for more popcorn and Samuel Adams and I forget to pause the movie.

I extend my arm from the kitchen and point and click the remote control, and nothing happens. I realized that I have to walk back into the TV room and point the darn thing directly at the TV to put the movie on PAUSE. I can now return to the kitchen for my free refill of popcorn and Samuel Adams. Unfortunately for me, I now have to reverse the video to recapture the horror I missed when I left for more popcorn.

Now I know what you people are thinking, "Can't You Just Go Into The Kitchen For Beer And Popcorn, Come Back And Just Simply Rewind To Your Favorite Scene?" Of course I can, but that's in complete violation of the "Couch Potato Act of 1982", which stipulates that when a person goes to the kitchen for more popcorn and Samuel Adams, that the remote control should be and must be OMNIDIRECTIONAL to avoid this type of "video peril".

For crying out loud, ALL remote controls should be OMNIDIRECTIONAL according to the by-laws of the...Couch Potato Act of 1982!!! SONY you're in violation!

CONCLUSIONS:
Since makers of DVD players won't foot the bill to create useful & worthwhile remote controls, then why not discontinue the habit of providing useless R/C's and give the customers a $25 or $30 voucher to purchase an omnidirectional, lighted universal remote control of there choice?

Remote control manufacturers will save money and the customer will get a remote control that makes sense.

Bottom-Line: