Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on March 26, 2011
There's not much info around about this mic, so I took a chance, and here you go! Hope this review is helpful.

So far I've given this mic some light use outdoors on my Panasonic TM700, and it seems to work well. I've also tested it with my Olympus LS-10 recorder, and that seems fine too. I can't say much to the audio quality, since I've only used it for some outdoor sounds -- and I'm not a great judge -- but it certainly seems great to me. Sound levels were fine, it sounds nice to my thick ear, it's pretty directional, and in the supplied clamp handling the camera (carefully) was no problem. Only issue was the furry cat trying to get in to the tops of my wide-angle shots, which I think I can solve (see below). It definitely seems well-made.

The mic uses an AA battery for power, or can use plug-in power if the device it's plugged in to supports that. I tested it with a battery, but since both my devices supply plug-in power, that's how I'm mainly using it, and it works fine (you may have to enable plug-in power in your device's settings). It seems slightly lower level than the built-in mics on both devices, but worked fine. (The battery didn't make a difference to that.) The plug is stereo, and the sound seems to be connected to both channels.

The supplied wind muff is OK. It slides directly on over the front -- a little tight at first but it goes. It's quite lightweight, and it's just the fur, no foam, but certainly offers some protection against wind -- I was using it in very blustery conditions, and while real wind will definitely come through, it helps a fair bit if you can get some shelter. If you want to try a different muff, you'll want something that covers 108mm / 4.25" from the front at least; 120mm / 4.72" is where the switch begins.

Physically, the mic measures about 21 mm / 27/32" in diameter, and 261 mm / 10 3/8" long. Allow at least an inch behind that for the cord grip and cord if you're going to have something behind it. There's a clear 101mm / 3.98 inches behind the on/off/low-cut switch for holding it (in a shockmount etc). If you don't mind covering the switch, you gain another 31mm / 1.22 inches. The wind muff comes back to that point.

The mount that comes with it is fine. It has a standard cold shoe mount, with a tripod thread in the middle; it also comes with an adaptor for Sony alpha cameras (which I'm not using). The mic is held directly over the mount, with the centre axis about 72mm / 2.83" above the base of the mount. The mount has a swivel joint in it so the mic can be turned left or right. Since my camera has the cold shoe bracket way forwards, I'm placing the grip over the on/off switch to get the mic back out of wide-angle view, which is fine as I have no battery in it. If your shoe mount is farther back, you should have less of a problem (depending on your lens).

The shock absorption comes from the fact that the top grip part of the mount is joined to the upright part with a block of rubber; also the grip has soft rubber pads and a rubber bushing inside it. This seems to work OK, although major handling noise is picked up; it could be that a bungee-type shockmount could help, if this becomes an issue.

The mic stand has a cord clip on it, which I can't use due to how the cord routes on my camera. However the cord -- about 325mm / 12.8" long -- is nice and sturdy, and doesn't flop about, so this is no problem in practice. The plug is right-angled.

Overall, seems pretty good!
on February 12, 2014
Admittedly, I use the Sony suite of Vegas Pro 12 and some powerful plug-ins, but there was no editing required of my audio as a result of this Microphone's quality. There were even times when the MC didn't use a mic to announce the next act, and his voice still came through very clearly. Using a Sony NEX VG-10 camera and the powered output mic port. I was worried it might pick up the auto-focus motor as does the regular mic (during extreme quiet), but it is well isolated from transmission noise with included mount. The audience below me was only obvious if there was either extreme quiet on the stage, or the clapping from act to act (a kid's talent show).
*Came with adapter for regular cold shoe, or Sony quick connect to the flash mount (for my camera). A fine instrument and an excellent addition to anyone who wants to reach out and hear someone.
on November 19, 2012
This microphone is a nice microphone and if you just need to improve the sound quality of your camera cheaply, this is the way to go. This mic is not very directional and it picks up more surround sound that I like but again, it's not a high end microphone either. The shock-mount is very nice, cable is nice and thick and the connector is solid. The wind-muff does an adequate job of cutting with hiss and the low pass filter works as well. This is a huge improvement to any Internal camera microphone and should be treated as such. I give it 4 star out of 5 as the pickup pattern is a little too wide for it to be called a true shotgun microphone.

Sound quality is better than Rode Video Mic and alike and i definitely recommend it.
on February 11, 2013
Rode microphones are nice, but I wanted to try something different then what everyone else was doing. My main reason I got this mic over the Rode VideoMic Pro and Normal Videomic is because this doesn't have a crappy rubber band stabilization system, like on the rodes. Works very nice, and has a nice beefy cable so you dont have to worry about it getting ruined. Sony quality as always!
on October 19, 2013
I haven't used this mic extensively, but I did some basic testing.
This mic is pretty clear, and reduce decent amount of noises. But of course is not comparable to those $500, $800 shotgun mic. But for this price, it's worth it.
on October 30, 2012
I've tried a lot of shotgun mic brands before. But in my opinion this mic is one of the best shotgun in the market. I used this mic in an interview (for a TV show) in a VERY noisy and loud environment. It was a disco place with jam-packed people. I can not believe it captured clearly just the voice of the person speaking in front of the mic. Almost totally shut down loud noises in the back ground. This mic can produce clear and thick (not muffled) sound. Highly recommended.
on February 17, 2014
I know Rode makes great mics, but I decided to stay within the Sony brand for use with my Sony cameras. I'm not sorry I did. This mic comes with the dead kitten windscreen, so that's nice. It doesn't have a super-fancy mount like the Rodes, but that's OK because it met my goals:

- Better sound
- Directional pick-up
- Isolation from dreaded camera focus sounds.

Pretty inexpensive for all this, in my opinion. I've used it for limited indoor recording and it has worked out well.

I did a review over on the big video site. Do a search for "Sony ECM CG50 Shotgun Microphone Review" over there if you're interested.
on September 3, 2014
I bought this to pick up sound better for my Sony A65. When I remember to turn it on it works great. When it's on the camera and hooked up, but not on, the camera will not record any sound. Users need to pay attention.
on October 23, 2013
Adapted this mic on end of boom pole with heavy duty wind sock in Dominican Republic, worked like a charm, excellent sound.....total quality. Very satisfied.
on November 13, 2012
This microphone definitely works for the purpose. Great clarity,well constructed and made out of good materials.
Having said that, I was disappointed that the Mic was not able to mount on my Sony HDR-PJ580VE handy cam. It does not come with a Active Interface Shoe adapter. Sony was not able to provide any solutions for the mounting on any handy cam that has Active Interface Hot Shoe.
Well, if you are looking for a mic that serve the purpose for recording sounds, looks professional, light weight and portable, I would say go for it.