Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

on November 25, 2007
I have used the ECM-CS10 stereo microphone with my laptop for recording speech for audio embedded web pages. This is a very clear low noise stereo mic. It has a good high frequency response. It is not as loud/sensitive as the omni mics I have tried. But this unit records voice very well and with low noise. It is certainly not as boomy as many of the consumer grade omnidirectional single channel mics I have tried. In the laptop recording mode I use the mic with Sonic Stage audio recording software. It produces nice clean recordings. For top-notch speech sound and to increase the signal/noise ratio I even clip on BOTH the ECM-CS10 stereo mic and an omni microphone. I run them both into a 2:1 adaptor plug which then plugs into the laptop. There is no battery box needed with the laptop audio set up. The laptop supplies its own bias voltage/phantom power to the mic. I have also used this mic with button style battery boxes to feed audio into a Canon GL2 camcorder. It gives good results. Every camcorder needs an external mic or two mics for studio set-ups. These 1/8th inch prosumer mics do the job well without breaking your budget. XLR mic set-ups and wireless microphone systems can cost many hundreds of dollars. I was glad to find ways to use these moderately priced business mics in a smart way in order to get very good audio for web pages and videoed interviews. It is not just the quality of equipment or the cost. it is how you use it. Getting your mic as close to the source is the key to getting good video. Lavaliers like this get the job done well and they do it simply and economically.
on June 30, 2005
I've been using Sony's ECM-MS907 for more than 5 years now and have loved it; so two weeks ago I ordered the Sony ECM-CS10 to use for audio journal keeping while on the road. When it arrived just a few days ago, I compared the audio quality of its recordings to that of my existing Sony microphone. In spite of its pleasing aesthetics, I found it to be a sad disappointment!!! The ECM-CS10 is a very noisy microphone with an audio quality far inferior of what I would expect from a Sony mic. (I wonder whether this is because it is a plug-in-power mic).

Frankly, I think I'm probably going to return it and look for something else. I've purchased a number of microphones on eBay and have only been satisfied with one other type of compact mic. Microsound makes it; and its a mic with a cable lead about three inches long. I'm not in any way affiliated with them, but I would recommend their product.

With all of this said, I think I still might spring for Sony's top-of-the-line lapel microphone, just to see whether it's any good.
1212 comments|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon July 20, 2006
While the specs above say:

2-Way power supply offers plug-in power with selected Sony or Aiwa portable recorders; battery power for use with all other recorders

This is NOT TRUE. There is no battery unit shipped with this device; you can see it in the instructions, but it isn't in the package. So, unless you are using it with a "selected Sony or Aiwa" device, DON'T BUY THIS. It won't work.

BTW, I am a slow learner. When I bought the first one of these, I thought it was defective because it didn't have the battery pack. I returned it and got another one, which was absolutely unopened -- guess what! THERE IS NO BATTERY PACK IN THE BLISTERPACK.
44 comments|43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2009
The product description used on Amazon incorrectly states that this mic comes with a power supply. Wrong. The Sony ECM-CS10 does not come with a power supply. The Sony ECM-C115 does. And the two models share a User Guide, which may be where the confusion originated.

After reading a few of the reviews where this was a concern, I did some research, and was pretty sure that I was not buying a mic with an included power supply. So I was not disappointed. But had I not done that research and relied on Amazon's description, and had I needed/wanted a power supply, I might have been a little upset.

As far as quality of the recording, it's a marked improvement over my digital voice recorder's (Sony ICD-UX70) built-in mic. It's not studio-quality, certainly, but an improvement all the same.
on January 3, 2007
The Sony ECM-CS10 is reasonably priced for a stereo mic. I have used it for recording auido lectures and it works well to pick up all comments in a small classroom. If clipped to a lapel, it is crystal clear. I also have used it for recording my band with little distortion and fairly equal levels for drum kit, vocals, and guitar amps...solid mic with little frill for these purposes.
on April 20, 2015
I bought this ECM-CS10 to use with a Zoom H1. I also bought, to compare, the ECMCS3, which is less than half the cost. While the 10 may have some features that are better than the 3, I cannot discern them. As a notable downside, the recording level at the same gain setting in the H1 for the 10 is just far lower. I am planning to use the lapel mic system with the Zoom H1 when I give talks that I want to record my voice in a consistent manner rather than having the zoom H1 mic recording from table top. So, I will put the Zoom H1 in my pocket and use the lapel mic. The sound on the ECMCS3 seems really superb to me, and the sound level is so much lower on the 10 that I think it's inadequate. I don't want to turn the gain up to 90 something on the H1 just to get a decent level to work with. So, better deal and better performance to me seems to the ECMCS3.
on November 24, 2006
It clearly catches vocals and sound with stereo input to the recorder. It is a powerful microphone which also picks up ambient sound. The tie clip is adjustable to a specific direction desired by the user and may be made to stand on a table with the retractable support.
on December 17, 2014
This is a REALLY good mic. I was a little apprehensive when I purchased it, because it's almost the same cost as the little audio recorder that I purchased, but I just shrugged it off thinking, "well... I guess it will be a good mic for that price then" And didn't think anything more about it until I started using it. PRIMARILY I use this to record business meetings, and conversations I have with banks etc. (Yes, I know all the laws involved in this) So it didn't have to be just fantastically sensitive, because the mic is right next to the ear where the speaker to the phone is also. Occasionally, I would leave the recorder running after I was done with a conversation, forgetting I had it on. This is when I noticed how incredibly sensitive it is. It will pick up sounds and voices I can't even hear anywhere in the house. It really is incredible. So I'm glad I spent the money to get this one, as opposed to any other one.

The tiny cable running down my shirt is the cable to the mic. The headset is RF so doesn't have a cable to it. This is how I get both sides of the conversation with crystal clarity.
review image
on February 23, 2014
I use it with the Kodak Playful Dual and it works great. Only thing is the cable that comes is short, like 3 ft I would guess. So for $7 or $8 I bought through Amazon YCS Basics 25 Foot 3.5mm Stereo Headphone Extension Cable. EXCELLENT!!!
on September 14, 2015
I bought this mic to use when shooting iMovies with my iPhone, after reading an answer that claimed it works with an iPhone. But it does not work with my iPhone 6. I have another MOVO condenser lavalier mic that works great with my iPhone (with mic power turned off, apparently because the phone supplies the power, so no additional power to the mic is needed). So, I don't understand why this mic won't work. The MOVO has 4 rings on its mic jack, while this one only has 3. I suspect whoever thought this works with their iPhone was really only hearing what was recorded by the phone's mics, because that's what happens when I try to use this for iMovie. The mics on the iPhone are still turned on even while this Sony is plugged in, & the Sony inputs zip.