4.0 out of 5 stars very good concept but lacks implementation...
Published on May 1, 2012 by George

1.0 out of 5 stars Connection to phone drops frequently
Published on July 17, 2011 by CT

1.0 out of 5 stars Connection to phone drops frequently, July 17, 2011
This review is from: Sony Ericsson LiveView Bluetooth Phone Remote with Micro Display for Xperia PLAY and Other Android-Based Phones - Retail Packaging - Black (Unlocked Phone)
This is a great tool for quickly and discretely (for meetings at work) determining who just called/texted you. I have not tried the LiveView for Facebook or Calendar yet, but it absolutely works as described for phone calls and text messages. I downloaded the firmware update from the Sony Ericsson website (see link below) before connecting it to my phone (Samsung Droid Charge) via the LiveView app available from the Android market.

The LiveView is very light and I'm wearing it as a watch with the included band. One note about the band is that you may miss the tiny little pins that come in the box. Since there are no directions in the manual about assembling the watch band, I'll give you a hint. Snap the LiveView into the included watch backing which includes tiny holes for the pins. You then have to carefully and patiently attach the backing to the wrist band by threading the pins through the loops on each side of the backing and fit the pins into the backing holes. It's not unlike most pin based watches but it can take some time and dexterity.

When you receive a call or text you (as programmed via the app on your Android phone) will get a short half second vibration along with a color coded LED notification on the top right of the LiveView. The device is very well made and very classy, including the understated band.

The battery life seems very good which is important since you have to remove the LiveView from the watch band to charge it via the included USB cable.

The LiveView sold by Amazon.com is for the US market and includes a US style charging adapter.

In summary, if you want to make your Apple Iphone friends jealous (LiveView only works with Android now) this is the way to do it.

Update on 7-23-2011
I a returning the LiveView to Amazon because the device constantly drops its connection to the phone and does not automatically reconnect. This occurs even when the phone is within 3 feet of the LiveView. This is an unfinished product that should not have been released as is.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good concept but lacks implementation..., May 1, 2012
I bought this liveview thingy as an extension for my sgs2 android phone. In fact I bought two, one for my son and one for mine of course. First I was sold by the concept of this product that's letting you know what's happening in your phone before you even try to take a glance at it. This product is so cool. I know many reviews where bad but I proceeded anyway and bit the bullet.
The only drawback is the syncing of your phone and the liveview when the two lost contact with each other e.g. when you go far several feet/meters from your phone/liveview or vice versa, when bluetooth communication of both device where cut off you have to press the liveview button or open the liveview app itself to sync again and that is taking both device within each others bluetooth signal range and that is cumbersome specially when I arrived home and just put my phone above the drawer and expecting to be notified from my liveview of updates from my phone. But once the connection is made it is pretty solid. Unlike the bluetooth headunit in my car that whenever I start, it automatically sync with my phone no buttons to push or any settings to be made, once they are paired and bluetooth is on and your good to go. This would however be cool if sony still have the interest in updating the firmware of this device to automatically re sync when the signal of both device is within range of each other.
Be aware also that this device has a firmware update last year which somehow improves connection issues but that doesn't include the automatic syncing as what i have observed. With my sgs2 liveware manager causes undesired operation between my phone and the liveview and I just uninstalled it since it is not necessary. This is a great product and i hope sony will push a new firmware update for this device not just left it in the dust. i know they have a new smart watch but ohh!!!!! Sony come on don't leave us behind with this unfinished product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sub-par at best, March 13, 2012
I usually find Sony's products good, but this watch is sub-par at best. Here is the Good, Bad and the Ugly List. Hopefully, their product managers are listening, and will improve the product in the future.

Good:
- Cool concept. Wish it worked as advertised.

Bad:
- Sync with Phone is erratic.
- Does not give any error message to fix the sync problems. Pretty dumb.
- No Email Sync/Notification.
- Ugly/Cheap looking strap. Although it has standard watch hardware, so you might be able to attach a better looking strap.
- Setting up sync up with a phone is not straightforward. Although instructions are helpful, so eventually you will get it.
- Costly, esp because it does not work for most of the times.

Ugly:
- Freezes once in a while, randomly, and then comes back.
- Awful battery life. Does not even last a day.
- Shuts off once in a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool toy, sony ericsson finally fixed the connection issue, March 7, 2013
This product now sells for $20 or so on amazon. Just got one. Just thought everyone might want to know that the connection issue has been fixed. There's no more connection issue. My liveview stays connected to my galaxy s 4g. And when I come back from outside of range, it automatically reconnects.

I can control music, take pictures remotely, make my phone sound an alarm for me to find the phone, send text messages for missed calls, secretly record conversations, read text documents, etc.

Also, the design flaw with the charger location I've managed to solve. Very easy to do. The liveview comes with 2 pieces that can attach to it. One piece is meant for you to wear as a watch and the other has a clip and lets you clip it on things, like your backpack. Just super glue the part with the clip onto your liveview. Make sure you avoid super gluing the charging port area. The point of super gluing the 2 pieces together is your liveview won't fall off the clipper piece.

Now, put your strap on your wrist. Clip the liveview perpendicular to your arm. Look at where the metal piece is where the strap wraps around and goes back to Velcro. There's an opening within the metal piece of the strap. Slide the liveview clip in there. This way you can view the liveview like a watch. I can't stress this enough. Do not clip it parallel to your arm. Clip it perpendicular to your arm via that opening within the metal piece. Sits very tight on the strap and very comfortably on your wrist.

I'm still amazed at how many things this "toy" could do. It does everything from letting you read text documents from your phone on your wristwatch to making your phone fake call (get away from a boring conversation) to secretly record a conversation to giving you your gps coordinates on a map to selecting from your contact list and making calls. Just do a search for "liveview plugins" on google playstore and you will find dozens and dozens of plugin apps for you to play with.

No, it's not a very fashionable watch to wear. Those of you who care about fashion should stay away from this product.

But for 20 bucks, this makes a really cool toy to have. I've found myself wearing it all the time nowadays.

3.0 out of 5 stars Awesome (when it works), February 26, 2012
So I guess it's clear that the greatest minds at Sony Ericsson were preoccupied with something else; this feels like a project put together by some summer interns. It's actually really awesome when it does work, but it often stops working and requires a bevy of resets to get things going again. I bought this to control Google Music on my EVO 4G. I have bluetooth in my car as well and jacking around with my phone to control my music was pretty dangerous.

The good news: It works for this purpose. The bad news: Not for very long. I usually start my 30-minute commute with things working, but by the end of it, I'm back to jacking around with my phone since the LiveView has disconnected itself and refuses to work. I guess what's most frustrating to me is that after it disconnects, it doesn't seem to try very hard to reconnect.

Honestly, this device really does itself a disservice. Lots of people have asked me what kind of watch I'm wearing and when I tell them, they want to see it in action. This is the critical point when an accessory can really sell itself, but 9 times out of 10 it doesn't work and they say "oh..." and walk away. IF IT WORKED CONSISTENTLY I would love this thing!!! As it is, it fails at the main thing I bought it for, which is to keep me from having to look at my phone for things since you can't trust that this thing is ever working at all.

There was apparently a firmware update last year that addresses some issues. I have no way of knowing whether mine had this update pre-applied or not since the updater fails to find my device in DFU mode. Navigating the Sony Ericsson website for what you need is an exercise in frustration; it's as if they went out of their way to make finding information about how to fix a LiveView as difficult as possible.

I don't know that I'd purchase an improved version of this. I think it's such a colossal failure that I've lost a bit of faith in this brand.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, July 9, 2011
Well, to start with....
1. It technically isn't supported (via Sony Website) by my HTC Sensation 4G. It does however function properly "most" of the time. It does connect and show the information stated. I do notice however, that it likes to freeze up and not show ANY information unless you give it a few minutes or restart it. I have updated it via it Sony software from the support site and it appears to help a little. I does show the names of the people who call you which is a very neat feature, so you can decide if you want to reach "all the way" into your "pocket" to get that noisy device!
2. The battery life seems to be good. I played with it for hours and it never died. I know with normal use it will probably last few days if not more, but I cannot verify that yet, do to me only having it for about 18 hours. I will update this review as needed.
3. The device is very easy to use "when operating like designed" but when it freezes up it become very frustrating. The touch sides are very responsive, and if you wondering, no the screen itself isn't a touch screen, you actually touch the watches bezel for it to work.
4. In conclusion, if you were buying this to actually fully work 100% of the time, don't! I am kind of a tech junkie that likes to try new devices, especially ones with a lot of POTENTIAL like this one. If they could get the software to not be quite so buggy this device could be a show changes, especially at less that 70 dollars. I hope this helps some of you out.
*****UPDATE*****
Returned Item!
The thing proved to be not what they described (sony, not amazon) It would not stay connected to my phone for more than 15 minutes. I tried and tried to get it to work but to no avail! I am soooo glad that Amazon is a reputable company and took it back, it just didn't function like promised. I have changed my rating to a 2 b.c. it still have a LOT of potential, maybe with firmware updates or something but it was unusable with my brand new HTC Sensation or my wifes Nexus one, or My Touch 4G.

2.0 out of 5 stars Will end up in your junk draw before long., August 14, 2012
There is a reason this sells for 80% less than its original list price. Don't be fooled into thinking this device will improve your life in anyway. After 3 days of trying to make the Liveview usable I have just about giving up. First off you have to search the Sony website for a long time before you can locate the update service software. Once you do it takes an inordinate amount of time to install. So you allow it update which it needs, and hope for the best. Well it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. First off it's not very easy to tap the edges of the screen with a finger that is of normal size for adult. Secondly, it is slow to respond when you so you often times end up bypassing the icon you hoped to use. Thirdly, it times out no matter what function is being used in less than 20 seconds.
Fourthly, and this is the big one. Once you do manage to get a Bluetooth pairing (good luck) it will not retain the connection for any real length of time. I was lucky if I could maintain Bluetooth connection for about 5 minutes at a time. So I look for answers on the Sony website and not much there to help. So I read thru the comments on the two apps on the Google play store which you need in hopes of finding some tips. And again to my dismay not much help there. Then I stubble upon a developers web site with a Google search that points me to a 3rd Party application and for those who may want to try it it's called "Liveview Charm". This helped things a bit and the first time I was able to maintain connection for about 4 hours. Then it lost connection, and after trying to pair it for the next 15 minutes without success I gave up and wrote this review. The 3rd part application did a commendable job trying to salvage this device but 4 hours is only long enough to further frustrate you. It's almost like enough to say hey maybe I will like this thing but as they say the Liveview device pulls the rug from underneath you.
So what I'm saying is, discounted or not it's probably not worth the aggravation and you know that junk draw in your house with old cell phones, iPod Nano's and defunct watches your grandmother might have given you, well yes that where this will probably end up in short time.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it so far, May 30, 2012
So far I have been loving it. between being able to read my RSS feeds and Twitter messages with out having to take my phone out of my pocket to drain its battery. that right there is worth the price tag.
but when you get to the plug ins that there are, you are going to be blown away. I got mine before i knew there was a ViewFinder App, for the LiveView to show you what your phone camera is seeing and being able to take a snap shot remotely is super sweet. (had to do it with voice before for taking shots of my wife and I with out holding the phone, now i just tap my wrist)
My buddy just got the new Smart Watch and paired it up with his HTC EVO and it is working, but he says he should have just got this one, does all that the new one does for 1/3 the price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Back to the drawing board, August 22, 2011
Sony should have made an android watch instead of slapping a crappy wrist strap on a tiny screen with Bluetooth.

You have to remove the screen from the strap to get to the USB port for charging. It would have been better on the left or right.

The strap is Snag-less Velcro. You can easily break the pins that hold the plastic frame to the strap when removing the screen to charge it. I would never have to remove the screen or risk breaking it if I could charge it without removing it. (which it requires 2x daily)

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed, April 8, 2013
Pros:

(+) Great price for what you're getting: I bought this watch because I wanted a way to see texts and incoming calls while I was in meetings or running about with my phone in my bag. I didn't intend on using it for Facebook or Twitter updates...so the watch has really come in handy for me.

(+) Very functional for my needs

Cons:

(-) Bluetooth range is really short: I've found that the disconnect issues only arise when I walk too far from my phone. If you go in the other room, you will get disconnected.

(-) Screen could be brighter: Many reviewers have said that the screen cannot be seen in direct sunlight. I have found this not to be true; I can see the screen in sunlight. It isn't extremely bright, but that's okay with me.

(-) Battery life is pretty bad: The battery lasts a day but, not much more in my experience. I imagine that the more frequent the notifications and the more you flash the screen (time), the faster the battery drains.

(-) Windows-only software: If you need to update the firmware on the watch, you'll need a Windows PC (XP, Vista, 7, 8, etc). Linux and OSX users are out of luck.

(-) Difficult to un-clip from wristband: I thought I broke it the first time I un-clipped it, but it was fine. It gets easier to un-clip the more you do it. The first time I un-clipped it I had to use a flat-head screwdriver. Now I can just pull it off.

Rate and Discover Movies