4.0 out of 5 stars Be aware about battery life
I recently got the Xperia Play. The phone itself is great, clear pictures, nice signal, operating system is quite stable.

As you may imagine be careful about battery life and get used to carry with you a portable battery charger.

Published on May 24, 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes, both worlds but not 'the best of'
I am not going to spend a lot of time listing 'specs' because Amazon's page for the Verizon version has them all, well organized and in detail. Instead, I will discuss our experience with the PLAY from a gamer's point of view because I can't see anyone but a gamer considering this.

BRIEF ASSESSMENT

The Xperia PLAY attempts to combine an advanced...
Published on May 31, 2011 by A. Dent

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Be aware about battery life, May 24, 2011
This review is from: Sony Ericsson R800IEUBLK Xperia Play R800i Unlocked Phone and Gaming Device with Slide-Out Gamepad and Android OS - Unlocked Phone - No Warranty - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)

If we think about it, the whole idea of this phone may be for people who travel a lot or have to wait a lot. I parked my car in front of my girlfriend house, while I wait I take out my phone and play for a little while (1 hour).

Send a couple of text messages, get some phone calls and charge your phone. The Xperia play itself is great, just I wish battery was better. Instead carrying my cellphone and my PSP. Now I need to carry my phone and a portable charger.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first try with android, June 23, 2011
I bought this phone because it was less than $200 unlocked. Unfortunately i did not investigate to find out that it does not support AT&T's 3G network. The R800a does but this is the R800i. Anyway, i like the phone (and especially Android) so much i have abandoned my iPhone 4. it does need some memory management, but it is truly unlocked. I can do everything i want with the phone and do not even see a need to root it right now. The playstation games are ok, nothing special and the joysticks (touchpads) are kind of weird. i prefer the d-pad. not many games work with it and to be honest i rarely slide it open. Now that i like android, ill be looking for a faster phone (dual core, 1G RAM or higher, and some other nice features). The screen is dim (everyone notices this) and it is hard to see in sunlight. The speakers are AMAZING. speaker phone is the best i have heard so far on a phone and playing music sounds like it is coming from a laptop with a nice soundcard. Just got update today for Android 2.3.3. The experience with Sony Ericcson PC Companion was not the greatest but it was bearable. I am glad to be off iTunes and the frequent jailbreaking (including app searchingn in Cydia). If you get an android consider Chomp Sms and Swype. These two programs will keep me an Android customer. The responsiveness of the Play is quick but i have noticed some lag, which seems to come from specific apps. I stopped using those apps and the lag/screen-freezing went away. Overall this is a nice phone but not worth anymore than $400. also, make sure this phone is supported by your carrier. I am currently running on AT&T's Edge network because i failed to pay attention to the product info. Oh, and the battery life is pretty decent. I am a frequent user and my battery typically lasts a full day at work and may even carry me a full day without needing a charge.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Gaming Handset!!, April 10, 2011
I've fiddled around with this phone before and it is great. Its surprisingly strong and durable. The UI is smooth little bugs here and there but nothing patches couldn't fix up. There's plenty SE can do to build on top of this, personally, I'd recommend holding off on this device because I'm more than sure there will be a successor to this device soon with upgraded hardware. Because that's all it really needs is a faster CPU, more internal storage, a stronger camera (front and back), and some more RAM wont hurt at all. Otherwise this is a great first go at our (the gamers) dream of a gaming smartphone that can compete with other smart phones to make it worth a 2 year contract. But, that's all I'd buy this phone with is for a contract or retail price that is a lot lower than this. I'm sorry but NO phone on the market is worth 660 bucks. Not even more than 550. Remember, this is a phone, not a laptop. But if you've got 750 bucks to blow off then sure I would get this phone. But i don't, so I'll wait for the successor. :-) thanks SE for at least making the PSP phone a reality!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellente, January 1, 2012
Carlos Ospina (Valencia, Venezuela) - See all my reviews
This phone is very good, maybe is a little heavy (because the gamepad) but is very fast and responsive, in its class and segment is very recommendable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a playstation phone, August 16, 2011
have been playing video games since I could hold a regular NES controller in my hands. When smart phone's first came out there was no way I was going to purchase one when my psp could do everything they could, and had quality games for it. Finally I have the best of both worlds despite what another review on amazon states. The phone works great it is loud and clear. The phone doesn't come with a really great line up of games unless your a sims fan, but it comes with perfect controls to fit all the wonderful apps. Through the android market you can find a emulator for the playstation 1, GBA, SNES, N64, ATARAI, NES, GBC, and many more. Despite the playstaion network not being on this phone through the emulators it is really easy to play all your favorite games that you already own through the emulators. I have nothing negative to say about this phone. Its not the most advanced smartphone available, but its hands down the best gaming phone available. If only the playstation Vita would double as a phone. AS ALWAYS DO NOT DOWNLOAD A ROM FOR A GAME YOU DO NOT ALREADY OWN THAT IS PIRATING.

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes, both worlds but not 'the best of', May 31, 2011

BRIEF ASSESSMENT

The Xperia PLAY attempts to combine an advanced Android phone with a portable gaming platform resembling the PSP or rather the PSP Go hoping that the integrated whole will turn into something more than the sum of its parts but, in my view, what we get is a good, solid gadget that fails to come close to 'best in class' in either the smart phone or the portable gaming platform categories. There are many smart phones that outperform it (better, faster, dual-core CPUs) and outfeature (4G, HDMI, DLNA support) the Xperia PLAY and, while it superficially resembles the PSP Go, the PLAY only accepts games specifically converted to work with it, meaning that you'll have to buy them again and, at least at the time I am writing this review, it can't access Sony's PSN store. While you can play Android games, you will need to find 'PLAY optimized' titles if you are to take advantage of the PSP-like game pad.

THE GOOD

Again, neither the phone component or the PSP-like transformation are bad, they are quite good and here is what I liked about them:

- Android 2.3. It's not the latest in Android but I was assured that upgrades are forthcoming.
- Decent battery life. Sure, you can't play or stay on the phone forever but unless all you do is play and stay on the phone all day one charge per day should be sufficient.
- Good 'game pad' integration. You go into 'game mode' the moment you pull out the pad.
- Bluetooth, GPS, Wi-Fi available and working well. Also a microUSB port.
- Very nice stereo speakers. They work well with the games and, as a bonus, you get better than decent sound in 'speaker phone' mode.
- A couple of very nice preloaded apps: Kindle, Google Maps, YouTube, Skype Mobile,Twitter and Facebook integration.
- 8GB microSD card included but you can replace it with a larger one, of course.
- PSP Go like controls including some innovative implementation of the 2 analog joysticks as touch-pads.
- Lots of preloaded games (I will list them at the bottom of this review)

THE BAD

- Single-core CPU makes it a relatively slow performer as a smart phone.
- Lack of HDMI port and DLNA support makes it a poor multimedia gadget.
- The display is not that bright, probably to conserve battery life.
- The cameras are okay but barely so and the flash is not that bright.
- The touchpads meant to replace the analog joysticks are not always responsive.
- As a phone, it's a little on the bulky side.
- Not all Android games can be played in the game mode. It's confusing and it can be frustrating.
- Can't play PSP or PSOne games unless adapted, meaning that you need to buy them again.

RATING

I am going to give the PLAY 3 stars which means "it's Okay". It's an interesting concept and it works to some degree but someone who wants an Android phone and a serious portable gaming platform may be better off with an actual Android phone and a PSP or a PSP Go. I am giving it 3 stars and not 2 stars because my kid (the one who didn't have a PSP) decided that it was good enough for him and he's using it now. Thanks to the large number of preloaded games and to the availability of some PLAY-friendly Android games we didn't have to buy any old games again yet.

___________________________________________________

These are the game that came preloaded with the Verizon version:

* Adrenalin
* Asphalt 6
* Bruce Lee Dragon Warrior
* Crash Bandicot
* Madden NFL 11
* Star Battalion
* Tetris (Android mode only)
* The Sims 3

>> Brush your teeth, it's the law! <<

5.0 out of 5 stars Emulation machine on the cheap, completely adequate smartphone., August 23, 2013
Let's be real: the XP was outdated when it launched. It had a processor that was already old, a LAUGHABLE AND ETERNALLY PROBLEMATIC 400 megabytes of internal memory, a subpar screen, and boring, plasticky construction and styling.

BUT IT HAS CONTROLS. Glorious, real, reasonably comfortable controls. And it runs Android, so you can play all your classic games on a plethora of constantly improving emulators, such as Retroarch. I have used a $50 used Xperia Play as my phone for a year now and have relatively few complaints about its daily duties as a phone while I have enjoyed its use as an emulation machine very much. Like I said, it has many faults, but it is a perfectly adequate Android phone which has the amazingly unique bonus of gaming controls. People are pretty wowed when you open up your XP; either because it's the coolest thing they've ever seen, or you're the biggest goddamn geek they'll ever know for actually owning something like this. The speakers are quite nice as others have mentioned.

Full speed SNES, PS1, GBA, GB, TurboGFX, NES, Arcade, DOS PC, and more emulation awaits you with full controls.

Shame on Sony for abandoning the Jellybean upgrade for this phone. They like many companies are happy to lie and lie and lie to consumers about future upgrades.

The Flex cable is supposed to be an issue with the XP's construction, so open and close your unit gently.

5.0 out of 5 stars SIN NOVEDADES LA COMPRA Y ENTREGA, October 30, 2011
La compra por Amazon es una realidad y garantiza tu compra. Desde el inicio hasta el final, la compra lo hice desde Ecuador, estamos contentos con el producto.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got a scare about the sound but found the solution, the PHONE IS GREAT!, May 31, 2011
I just got this phone as my new upgrade with Verizon. Phone is great I have all the snes/genesis/ps1 emulators working on it and it has been great and so much more fun than my last phone; droid x. It's a world of difference to play these games on game pad vs touchscreen. The weight is good, I compare it to how the sidekick 2 was. I actually found the battery life to be actually pretty good. I been gaming on it all day and it last me to the end of the night. Granted I've been playing snes/nes games and not as high quality that came with the phone.

The games that come with it are great quality, almost ps2 comparable. I really like the Bruce Lee game and The Aircraft game thats came with it. The camera is a 5.0 mp and its nice. It has a good amount of adjustments with the stock app. The phone is working on android 2.3 and it runs great. Thought its 3g it runs really nice and it hasn't crashed on me once since I've got it which happend quite a bit with my droid x. No issues with web browsing. I'm actually fine that its not 4g since 4g has been buggy.

The speaker on the phone is the best I've heard on a phone, i believe there are 4 speakers which make it sound great for gaming or playing music when you don't have headphones. Everything has been great so far until I plugged in my Beats By Dre Studio headphones.

The sound out of the headphones was the worst I've ever heard!! I thought it was a huge issue until I found in the box a cord you use if you are using non sony ericsson headphones. Attached it and wow that was it. I do find it odd you have to bring that extra cord with you but a lot better than bringing an amp which what I was thinking of doing.

Overall if you like to game, nes/genesis/neogeo/ps1/snes/ and close to ps2 graphic games then this is going to be wasting a lot of your time! Everything is great, camera is solid, smoother interface than my droid x, and a lot more fun with all my favorite past time games all in my hands.

4.0 out of 5 stars GAMER PHONE..., June 12, 2011
Xperia PLAY it was my dream to have playstation phone.

""THIS REVIEW IS AS A GAMER NOT EXPERT REVIEW""
PERFORMANCE:
from what i saw after using this device it's really amazing it's much faster that my old galaxy s and it is really stabled .
and for games it's smooth the games looks amazing (if u want the best performance clear the cache memory by using app2sd or by restarting you're device)

BATTERY LIFE:
it's really good and stay for long but if u use it for gaming it's good but not that much be aware

EMULATORS:
the real advantage of Xperia PLAY in the controller if you're interest in emulators(psx,n64,snes,gens,gba,.... others)
buy it because it'll be with u along time because it run emulators very smooth and psx games at 60Fps i have tried to play emulators with my Galaxy s but with Xperia play it's deference experience

MEMORY:
it can accept external memory-card and that's good but the main disadvantage of this device is the main memory(490 MB) it's sooolow for gamer phone 4-6 games with some applications and it will be full also if you move the game to you're external memory-card some of it will remain in main memory

CAMERA:
it's just good and do what a camera should do taking good picture (not the best in the market)

SOUND:
the sound is really good specially when using headset
overall:
XPERIA play is amazing phone for gamers and those ho want to run emulators and for know it doesn't have much games but in the future will be

"""""""ADVICE: IF YOU ARE GAMER YOU WILL BE HAPPY WITH THIS PHONE IF NOT I DON'T THINK SO""""""

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›