A full-featured Android mobile phone, the unlocked, 3G-enabled Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY is also the world's first PlayStation certified smartphone--providing the ultimate mobile gaming experience. Get your game on with the high-res 4-inch multi-touch screen and slide-out game pad, which reveals a directional keypad, dual analog touch joystick, two shoulder buttons, and the four iconic PlayStation symbol keys--circle, X, square, and triangle.
Playstation game console and Android smartphone in one device (view larger
The Xperia PLAY pairs the Android 2.3 Gingerbread operating system with a 1 GHz Snapdragon II processor and an Adreno 205 graphics processor for a faster overall experience and totally immersive gaming. Stereo sound adds additional depth and dimension to gaming, music and video, and the VGA front-facing camera enables easy video chat with fellow gamers.
Other features include a 5-megapixel rear camera/camcorder, Wireless-N Wi-Fi networking, Bluetooth for hands-free devices and stereo audio streaming, GPS turn-by-turn directions via free Google Maps with Navigation, microSD expansion to 32 GB, access to both personal and corporate e-mail, and up to 7.7 hours of talk time.
Get Your Game On
The Xperia PLAY is the first PlayStation Certified Android smartphone. You'll feel the action with real console controls, and to make the gaming experience complete, Xperia PLAY provides superb stereo sound and support for multi-player gaming. Here's just a sampling of what's available for downloading to the Xperia PLAY:
- Assassins Creed Altair's Chronicles HD One of the most popular gaming franchises, with action, puzzles and stealth gameplay set in the Middle East of the Crusades
- Need for Speed Grab the wheel of the fastest, hottest, and most powerful cars in the world.
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell The latest installment in this key franchise. Special Forces operative and renegade Sam Fisher returns to fight a corrupt secret agency.
- Dungeon Defenders Second Wave Stunning graphics, intense gameplay and exclusive on Xperia PLAY.
- N.O.V.A.2 Awesome graphics and intense multiplayer gameplay. This First-Person Shooter makes its Android debut exclusively on Xperia PLAY.
The games are downloadable via the Xperia PLAY launcher, an application that is activated by sliding open the gamepad. The Xperia PLAY launcher can recommend games and enables you to search for top titles optimized for Xperia PLAY on the Android market.
The Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY weighs 6.3 ounces and measures 4.7 x 2.4 x 0.6 inches. Its 1500 mAh lithium-ion battery is rated at up to 7.7 hours of talk time, and up to 400 hours (14.5 days) of standby time. This 3G-enabled phone runs on 800/850/1900/2100 3G frequencies (compatible with AT&T) in the United States, and international 900/2100 MHz 3G frequencies. Additionally, it runs on the 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE frequencies for voice and 2G data.
What's in the Box
Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY handset, rechargeable battery, charger, USB cable, quick start guide
Android Gingerbread Operating System
The Xperia PLAY runs the Android 2.3 operating system (dubbed Gingerbread)--the fastest version of Android available for smartphones yet. It features a cleaner, more refined interface with new icons, improved top notification bar, and more intuitive navigation.
Multitasking in Gingerbread allows you the ability to run more than one app at a time. If you're playing a game, you can easily switch to an incoming e-mail and then switch back to the game without losing your place. And like the previous version of Android ("Froyo"), Gingerbread provides support for Adobe Flash Player 10.1 for access to the full Web.
A new onscreen keyboard makes it easier to type thanks to additional spacing between the keys and larger font sizes. And the more you use the keyboard, the easier typing will be as the enhanced suggest feature records previous input history to make better suggestions.
The Xperia PLAY also brings one-touch access to the popular Google mobile services you use every day. It also provides easy access to both personal and corporate e-mail, calendars, and contacts supported by Exchange Server and Gmail. And through Android Market, you'll get access to thousands of useful applications, widgets, and fun games to download and install on your phone, with many more apps being added every day.
- Android Market for browsing and downloading thousands of free and paid apps
- Pre-loaded Android apps: Browser, Calculator, Calendar (Google or Corporate), Camera, Clock, Contacts, Email, Gallery, Messaging, Music, News & Weather, Phone, Settings, Video Player, Voice Dialer, Voice Search, YouTube
- Google applications: Gmail, Google Search, Google Voice Search, Google Latitude, Google Maps, Google Places, Google Talk
- Google Maps Navigation with spoken turn-by-turn directions showing real-time traffic and 360° views of the destination
This unlocked cell phone can be used with a GSM network service provider. It does not come with a SIM card, and it requires that you provide a SIM card for usage with your selected service provider.
This phone can be paired with 800/850/1800/1900 MHz UMTS/HSPA 3G networks in the United States (as well as 900/2100 MHz 3G networks found around the world, including in Europe and Asia). In areas not served by a 3G network, you'll continue to receive 2G data service via the EDGE network (depending on network compatibility).
Note that the downloading of maps, games, music and videos and uploading of images and videos involves transferring large amounts of data. Your service provider may charge for the data transmission, and the availability of particular services and features may vary by carrier.
This phone comes with a full manufacturer's warranty (1-year).
| || |
- 1 GHz Snapdragon processor (Qualcomm MSM 8655) capable of opening web pages twice as fast as most other smartphones.
- Powerful Adreno 205 graphics processor for crisp colors and silky-smooth 3D gaming graphics.
- 4-inch multi-touch display (854 x 480 pixels, 16 million colors) with accelerometer plus proximity and ambient light sensors.
- Wireless-N Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g/n) for accessing home and corporate networks as well as hotspots while on the go.
- Bluetooth connectivity (version 2.1) includes communication headset, hands-free car kits, and A2DP audio streaming Bluetooth profiles.
- Onboard GPS for navigation (using pre-loaded Google Maps) and location services
- Memory expansion via microSD card slot with support for optional cards up to 32 GB.
- 400 MB internal memory (user accessible)
- Rear 5-megapixel camera with LED flash, auto-focus, and geo-tagging capabilities.
- Video recording capabilities (DVD quality)
- Front-facing VGA camera for video chats
- Music player compatible with MP3, WMA, and AAC/AAC+
- Video player compatible with MPEG4, H.264, H.263, WMV
- Full messaging capabilities including SMS text, MMS picture/video and IM instant messaging
- HTML browser (Webkit 5) with Flash 10.1 Support
- E-mail access with support for Exchange ActiveSync corporate accounts as well as personal accounts (Google push, Yahoo!, POP3, IMAP).
- 3.5mm headphone jack
- Speakerphone for hands-free communication.
Also Available for This Android Device
| || |
Amazon Appstore for Android
Get a great paid app for free every day.
| || |
Buy a book once and read it everywhere with our free Kindle Reading App for Android.
| || |
Shop 15 million songs and stream your Cloud Drive music directly from your Android device.
| || |
Find local movie showtimes and TV listings, watch trailers, and search the world's largest source of entertainment information.
| || |
Download audiobooks directly to your Android device, then listen wherever you go, get audiobook news, earn badges, and more.
| || |
Shop for millions of products, get product details, and read reviews--right from your mobile device.