A full-featured Android mobile phone, the Xperia PLAY by Sony Ericsson for Verizon Wireless is also the world's first PlayStation certified smartphone--providing the ultimate mobile gaming experience. Get your game on with the high-res 4-inch multi-touch screen and slide-out game pad, which reveals a directional keypad, dual analog touch joystick, two shoulder buttons, and the four iconic PlayStation symbol keys--circle, X, square, and triangle.
The Xperia PLAY pairs the Android 2.3 Gingerbread operating system with a 1 GHz Snapdragon II processor and an Adreno 205 graphics processor for a faster overall experience and totally immersive gaming. Stereo sound adds additional depth and dimension to gaming, music and video, and the VGA front-facing camera enables easy video chat with fellow gamers.
...meets the PlayStation game console you want (see larger image).
Real console controls and an amazingly brilliant 4-inch multi-touch screen (see larger image).
In addition to high-speed connectivity on the fast and reliable Verizon Wireless 3G network, you can also share the built-in 3G Mobile Hotspot via Wi-Fi among five devices--laptop, another phone, MP3 player, and more (additional service charge). And with Skype Mobile capabilities, you'll get unlimited Skype-to-Skype calls and IM while in the U.S. to anywhere in the world.
Other features include a pre-loaded 8 GB microSD memory card (with 2 GB of pre-loaded games), 5-megapixel rear camera/camcorder, Wireless-N Wi-Fi networking, Bluetooth for hands-free devices and stereo audio streaming, GPS turn-by-turn directions via free Google Maps with Navigation, access to both personal and corporate e-mail, and up to 7.7 hours of talk time.
The Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY comes pre-loaded with seven game titles including, Madden NFL 11 (EA Sports), Bruce Lee Dragon Warrior (Digital Legends), Asphalt 6: Adrenaline (Gameloft), The Sims 3 (EA), Star Battalion (Gameloft), Crash Bandicoot (Sony PlayStation) and Tetris. You can expand your video game library with even more game titles available for download via V CAST Apps.
Android Gingerbread Operating System
The Xperia PLAY runs the Android 2.3 operating system (dubbed "Gingerbread") which features a cleaner, more refined interface with new icons, improved top notification bar, and more intuitive navigation. Multitasking in Gingerbread allows you the ability to run more than one app at a time. If you're playing a game, you can easily switch to an incoming email and then switch back to the game without losing your place.
A new onscreen keyboard makes it easier to type thanks to additional spacing between the keys and larger font sizes. And the more you use the keyboard, the easier typing will be as the enhanced suggest feature records previous input history to make better suggestions.
And like the previous version of Android ("Froyo"), Gingerbread provides support for Adobe Flash Player 10.1 for access to the full Web.
The Xperia PLAY also brings one-touch access to the popular Google mobile services you use every day, including Google Search, Gmail, Google Maps with Navigation, Google Calendar, Picasa, and YouTube. It also provides easy access to both personal and corporate e-mail, calendars, and contacts supported by Exchange Server and Gmail. And through Android Market, you'll get access to thousands of useful applications, widgets, and fun games to download and install on your phone, with many more apps being added every day.
Reliable 3G Network
With support for the EV-DO high-speed data standard, you'll enjoy fast access to the Internet and Verizon Wireless multimedia services (additional charges applicable), with average download speeds ranging from 400 to 700 Kbps and peak rates up to 2 Mbps.
The Xperia PLAY weighs 6.17 ounces and measures 4.68 x 2.44 x 0.63 inches. Its 1500 mAh lithium-ion battery is rated at up to 7.7 hours (460 minutes) of talk time, and up to 405 hours (16+ days) of standby time. It runs on the CDMA 800/1900 frequencies as well as EV-DO, Rev A 3G frequencies. What's in the Box
Xperia PLAY handset, rechargeable battery, GreenHeart wall/USB charger, 8 GB microSD card, 3.5mm adapter, quick start guide
- Fast 3G connectivity thanks to the reliable Verizon Wireless EV-DO, Rev A network
- GPS navigation capabilities via Google Maps Navigation plus optional VZ Navigator service
- Wireless-N Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g/n) for accessing home and corporate networks as well as hotspots while on the go.
- 3G Mobile Hotspot capability allows you to create a Wi-Fi hotspot using your Verizon Wireless 3G EV-DO connection, which can then be shared among up to five Wi-Fi-capable devices.
- Skype Mobile compatibility provides unlimited Skype-to-Skype calls and IM while in the U.S. to anywhere in the world. Plus, with Skype Mobile you get low rates to international landlines and cell phones (requires Skype account).
- Bluetooth connectivity (version 2.1) includes communication headset, hands-free car kits, and A2DP audio streaming Bluetooth profiles.
- Android 2.3 OS (Gingerbread)
- Android Market for browsing and downloading thousands of free and paid apps
- Preloaded Android apps: Browser, Calculator, Calendar (Google or Corporate), Camera, Clock, Contacts, Email, Gallery, Messaging, Music, News & Weather, Phone, Settings, Video Player, Voice Dialer, Voice Search, YouTube
- Google applications: Gmail, Google Search, Google Voice Search, Google Latitude, Google Maps, Google Places, Google Talk
- Google Maps Navigation with spoken turn-by-turn directions showing real-time traffic and 360° views of the destination
Communications & Internet
- Full HTML browser (Webkit 5) with Flash 10.1 Support
- Personal and corporate e-mail access with support for Exchange ActiveSync as well as personal e-mail accounts (Google push, Yahoo!, POP3, IMAP).
- Full messaging capabilities including SMS text, MMS picture/video and IM instant messaging
- Virtual QWERTY keyboard
- 1 GHz Snapdragon processor (Qualcomm MSM 8655) capable of opening web pages twice as fast as most other smartphones.
- Powerful Adreno 205 graphics processor for crisp colors and silky-smooth 3D gaming graphics.
- 4-inch multi-touch display (854 x 480 pixels, 16 million colors) with accelerometer plus proximity and ambient light sensors.
- MicroUSB port
- Removable battery
- Rear 5-megapixel camera with flash, auto-focus, and geo-tagging capabilities.
- Video recording capabilities
- Front-facing VGA camera for video chats
- Music player compatible with MP3, WMA, and AAC/AAC+
- Video player compatible with MPEG4, H.264, H.263, WMV
- 3.5mm headphone jack
- 400 MB internal memory
- Memory expansion via microSD card slot with support for optional cards up to 32 GB.
- 8 GB included microSD card (2 GB taken up by pre-loaded games)
- Speakerphone for hands-free communication.
- Hearing aid compatibility: M4, T3
- TTY compatible
- Bilingual interface (English, Spanish)
Verizon Wireless Services Visual Voice Mail
This innovative service enables you to delete, reply, and forward voice mail messages without having to listen to prior messages or voice instructions. Visual Voice Mail is the ideal tool for the busy mobile professional who may need to prioritize which messages he or she listens to first. Features include on-screen access to voice mail message status, save up to 40 messages for 40 days (or archive permanently), create up to 10 different caller ID-based greetings, and reply via call back, text or even voice mail. VZ Navigator Capable
With this GPS-enabled phone, you'll be able to access the Verizon Wireless VZ Navigator service (additional charges applicable) for voice-prompted turn-by-turn directions, heads-up alerts, local search of nearly 14 million points of interest in the US (such as landmarks, restaurants and ATMs), and detailed color maps.