5.0 out of 5 stars Loyal Sony Customer
Purchase date: February 10, 2012

My previous camcorder: Sony DCR-SR42 Handycam purchased approximately 4 years ago Sony DCR-SR42 30GB Hard Disk Drive Handycam Camcorder with 40x Optical Zoom

Accessories purchased with CX190:
32GB Transcend Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card Transcend 32 GB Class SDHC 10 Flash Memory Card TS32GSDHC10E
Gold...
Published on February 22, 2012 by W. S. Renfroe

3.0 out of 5 stars WARNING -- Sony manufacturer's description is inaccurate
Published on October 29, 2012 by A Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Loyal Sony Customer, February 22, 2012
This review is from: Sony HDR-CX190 High Definition Handycam 5.3 MP Camcorder(2012 Model) (Electronics)
Purchase date: February 10, 2012

Accessories purchased with CX190:
Gold Plated HDMI to HDMI Mini cable Gold Plated HDMI to HDMI Mini cable, 2 M / 6.56 FT

What you need to know:
- CX190 does not have a touch screen (CX200 & CX210 do)
- does not have internal memory
- requires class 4 or higher memory card
- doesn't take pictures while recording in highest quality
- 32GB card holds a little more than 3 hours in highest quality
- camcorder has built in USB cable for transfer or charging
- lens cover is manual
- camcorder automatically turns on when screen is opened
- buttons/controls are in the same place as my previous handycam
- camcorder is surprisingly slim and light
- video is extremely clear (outside is better than inside but both are so clear you feel like you are in the video)
- no wind noise can be heard in the play back of the video
- camcorder has a threaded receiver for tripod
- USB cable (about 3" long) is built in and slides into the strap when not being used

I have to say, "I love Sony." Having owned a handycam before, I immediately felt comfortable operating the CX190. My previous handycam was not an HD camcorder so the video shot with this camcorder is unbelievable especially compared to my SD camcorder. The indoor and low light video is not as clear as video shot outside in the sunlight but the video is still very clear.

I am very impressed with this camcorder. It is smaller than my previous handycam, takes much clearer video, and was less expensive. I don't have any complaints. I didn't want a touch screen and the memory card was cheaper than internal storage.

You won't regret purchasing Sony HDR-CX190

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid camcorder for the money, May 30, 2012
Jon (United States) - See all my reviews
Sony generally makes good products, and the HDR-CX190 is no exception. It is durable and works as advertised.

Pros
- Compact, portable, and easily fits in the palm of your hand.
- Zoom works well.
- Image stabilization works well.
- Shoots full HD (not as good as a movie studio HD, but still very good).
- Audio records loud and clear.
- Fits on standard tri-pods.
- You can transfer the videos to your computer without the Sony software. Simply plug in the camera via USB and drag and drop the files (at least in Windows 7).
- The lens cap is manual and built into the camera so you can't possibly lose it.
- It has a USB cable attached to the camera at all times, so you always have one (but it isn't very long so I normally have to use the extension cable that it came with).
- Great price!

Cons
- Definitely buy additional batteries. The battery this camera comes with lasts up to an hour (maybe) when recording full HD.
- The zoom is kind of noisy and can be heard during playback.
- There's no light on the camera, so make sure there's plenty of light when recording or else the video quality degrades and becomes grainy.
- You can get hand cramps when recording for extended periods of time due to the camera's small size, so get a tri-pod.
- You can't take a still-image while recording full HD.
- The default recording setting isn't full HD, so make sure to change it before you start recording.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice video camera, March 10, 2012
I opted for CX-190 when my DCR-DVD405 went out of focus due to fungus after 4 glorious years. I miss the touch screen and flash in my previous camera so much! I would recommend others to go for CX-200 for the touch-screen. There is no internal memory with the CX-190 and CX-200, so buy some SD memory along with the camera. Internal memory is available in CX-210, but I think its not so cost-effective. I was able to record HD video onto an old class 4 SD card. It will be a wise option to purchase the connector for external HDD too, as I found out that common cables won't work, the hard way. You really need the one from Sony(through Amazon - search for VMCUAM1) to make it work. Photos taken at night are too grainy like in a low resolution webcam! But the photos in daylight are fine. Though viewing the photos in original size makes you wonder if the compression mechanism in the camcorder is good enough.

Enough about the cons! The HD video from this small, cute machine is astounding! Check out my video by searching for - chicago cx-190 on youtube. I had recorded it in the default HD mode and not the highest quality FX mode. The zoom is excellent and auto picture grabber feature is also cool. It fits into my pocket, and even though its not as sleek as a cellphone, I am satisfied with not taking a bag along on a holiday! The affordability of this camcorder is a boon. Thank you Sony for launching this cutie pie :)

3.0 out of 5 stars WARNING -- Sony manufacturer's description is inaccurate, October 29, 2012
The manufacturer's description from Sony says that "The Sony HDR-CX190 offers 1920 x 1080p high definition resolution letting you record your memories in exceptional Full High Definition quality." This is just plain false. The CX-190 offers 1080i, not 1080p. It is a nice enough video camera for the price, but this inflation of spec is indefensible. Don't buy this camera if you are looking for non-interlaced video -- it just doesn't support that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony CX190 HD, March 8, 2012
This has been a great HD camcorder so far. It is very small and lightweight, to say the least. I think the 70 series battery I bought for this unit weighs almost as much as the camera. The controls are good with the little screen joystick and menus. The color is very good on the screen, and the video is sharp. I like the 30x for videoing my stepsons' wrestling matches. I can sit on the top row of the bleachers at the matches and still get all the action on video, no problem. I like the playback, too. I just hook the cable to the big TV and press play on the camera, and it goes thru each video one at a time. I haven't moved the video files over from the camera to my computer yet. I will report back on that. I'm thinking on the highest HD setting, the camera uses about 10GB per hour, so I may appropriate an external drive for just for my HD videos. The 70 series battery I bought is supposed to be good for about 3 hours of continuous video, so I thot that would be a good match-up with my 32GB HCSD card. I bought a 32GB Class 10 card from Amazon, and it seems to be working pretty well so far. I sat down at the wrestling match a couple weeks ago, and 3 people within the vicinity were all using Sony cameras similar to mine. One person had the new Sony with the built-in projector, and I have to say the picture he projected on the wall of gymnasium really looked good. I think that option is $100 more than the $300 I paid for this camera, so if you are interested, I think it's worth checking out. I don't think my camera can do it, but wouldn't it be cool if a person could jack HD video and/or video games, dvd players, etc, into the camera and then project it onto a wall, screen, or sheet? I'm going to check that out to see if there is a video-IN option on the Sony Projector video cameras. I also think $300 is a good price for this type of camera. I was torn between this camera and the Canon camera of similar price. I have owned both Sony and Canon cameras in the past, and I think they are both really good. I ended up buying the Sony because of the price of aftermarket accessories and the Prime shipping because the race between the Sony and Canon brands was so close. I truly feel that anyone who buys this camera for a simple point and shoot HD camcorder without a lot of frills will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent 1080P Handycam by Sony, June 20, 2012
If you are looking for a small , but excellent Video Camera for the family videos with no Hassles, look no further.
This is the one. Below are some of the features , that I like personally

1) Small to fit into your pocket

2) Excellent Optical Zoom of 25X with Image stabilization (if you want to zoom in on the action at Kids events, this is the one)

3) Supports SDHC & SDXC , can go upto 64GB cards ( I have had only 32Gb Class 10 cards for excellent performance)

4) Comparable pricing at Amazon , No Tax, Free Shipping (Not gonna give my hard earned already taxed money to Uncle Sam on
products that I buy)

5) Excellent Video quality at 1080P ( I am more interested in Video rather than Still Photos on this Handycam)

6) Sony reliability and Perfection on Handycams ( Would not trust other brands, had Sony handycams for the last 15 yrs , never had a problem, all antiques now)

My review of the product is unbiased , I did this , because I had Sony handycams for a long time and wanted to acknowledge the reliability, value and excellence of the product, with Value for your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great HD camera, March 28, 2012
My wife and I decided to invest a little in a good camera and we couldn't be happier. I am really impressed with the video during indoor shooting. We haven't had to think about making sure all the lights are on and windows open which is nice since we live in a basement. The audio is also much better then I have experienced with other cameras. The screen isn't touch which was actually a selling point for me along with the manual lens cover. Less things to break. The built in USB cable which can charge the camera is fairly ingenious as well. I did a lot of research before shelling out $300 but ended up taking a leap of faith with this as it was a new camera with no ratings. Glad I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars 13-year-old son loves it!, February 20, 2013
This camcorder is really easy to use and produces very clear images. I bought it for my 13-year-old son to make movies with, and he used it to document his science project and was very happy with the results. He used the cord that came with it to connect it to his teacher's computer and project it on the big screen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good deal, annoying file transfer issue, December 20, 2012
Pros: This is good for the shooting conditions I got it for: Low-light performances. Here's a recent show I shot that also a projection element. Normally this makes for difficult shooting, but the HDR-CX190 was able to find a nice balance using the low lux setting and the back light option on. For those not familiar with the type of music in the video, the audio is actually pretty good. The zoom mic was on.

[edit: turns out Amazon won't allow links to YouTube. To see examples of videos shot with this camera in the lighting conditions mentioned please visit youtube and check out my page (username 'ratbas'). Performances shot after Dec 15, 2012 were shot using this camera.]

Down side: You can't just take the card out, put it in a reader to start a transfer and keep shooting. Memory cards can only be read using the camera. I works okay with iMovie if you select 'import from camera' rather than 'import files.' You cannot upload raw clips directly from the camera to YouTube to just go straight to YT's editor.

Battery life was another issue I had. The "minutes left" counter went down much faster than real time. This seemed to happen regardless of what settings I used.

4.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal clarity lightweight, March 11, 2012
Amazing camera, esp. compared to other products in that prize range.If you have a couple of more bucks left, get the next bigger model though, because of the touch screen command versus 'joyball' a la Blackberry to operate different functions with this model.Apart from that, clarity, zoom, ease and precision comparable to much more expansive cameras.