Save Big On Open-Box & Preowned: Buy "Sony HDR-CX550V 64GB High Definition Handycam Camc...” from Amazon Warehouse Deals and save 57% off the $1,299.00 list price. Product is eligible for Amazon's 30-day returns policy and Prime or FREE Shipping. See all Open-Box & Preowned offers from Amazon Warehouse Deals.
Sony HDR-CX550V 64GB High Definition Handycam Camcorder
- 1920x1080 Full HD Recording w/12MP still image
- 64GB1 embedded Flash memory
- 1/2.88" 6MP back-illuminated "Exmor R" CMOS sensor
- Optical SteadyShot image stabilization w/ Active Mode
- Wide Angle G-Lens (26.3mm) with 10x Optical zoom
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Special Offers and Product Promotions
|Item Dimensions||3 x 2.63 x 5.75 inches|
|Item Weight||1.06 pounds|
|Lithium Battery Energy Content||6.6 grams|
|Lithium Battery Voltage||3.4 Volts|
|Lithium Battery Weight||0.5823529412 ounces|
|Media Format Digital Video||SD|
|Optical Sensor Resolution||6.6 MP|
|Shipping Weight||2.8 pounds|
|Video Capture Format||h.264|
|Video Capture Resolution||1920 x 1080|
Read about our customers' top-rated camcorders on our review page: Camcorders
Top Customer Reviews
|Length: 6:00 Mins|
The camcorder does a good job in the color department, most of the time you get Accurate & Natural colors but other times it tends to vivid the blues & reds. The same happens with the Canon HF-S21, while Panasonic HDC-TM350 & HDC-TM700 looks more natural "most of the time".
The touch responsiveness is simply amazing, comparing it to the Very Difficult to handle of the Canon HF-S21 and the just OK of the Panasonic family. The resolution is the best of his class by far. Also you can organize it in a very custom way; "You can use the menu items easily by registering the menu items you use most often on MY MENU. You can register 6 menus items on each MY MENUS of the MOVIE, PHOTOS and PAYBACK. That's a total of 18 pre-determent Custom Menus.
The HDR-CX550V has larger lens than last year's model. The new G-Lens is capable of capturing videos at enormously wide angles, Close to 20 degrees more than Canons & JVC are capable of. It's also a much wider angle than you'll get from the Panasonic HDC-TM700.
In this area the clear winner is the HDC-TM350 or HDC-TM700, Sony has the Night Shot which allows to record in almost 0 LUX but you get a graining and unacceptable quality. Using the LOW LUX feature improves the image quality but some light is needed to be able to record.
Format - Resolution - Bitrate - Codec
HD FX - 1920 x 1080 - 24Mbps - H.264AVC (AVCHD)
HD FH - 1920 x 1080 - 17Mbps - H.264AVC (AVCHD)
HD HQ - 1920 x 1080 - 9Mbps - H.264AVC (AVCHD)
HD LP - 1920 x 1080 - 5Mbps - H.Read more ›
Compact and Lightweight (something my wife wants over holding my Canon 5D2 and lenses)
Wide Angle 26.3mm Photo
Wide Angle 29.8 mm Video to 298mm (On the Canon it is 35mm equivalent 43.5-435mm which is longer)
12 Mega Pixels still images
10x Optical Zoom
Stabilization which works really well
Takes both SD-HC (this is great) and Sony memory sticks (I don't use them)
Built-in 64GB Flash memory.
Excellent low light shooting
Includes GPS geotagging (which I haven't used yet, I keep it turned off for now)
3.5" LCD (921K)
Dolby Digital 5.1ch recording with Built-in Zoom Mic, which I haven't really tested to say how good the results really are, but off-the-bat the results are very acceptable.
It is also very easy to set up and operate, not a lot of digging for menus to get it recording right! You simply either swing open the LCD or pull out the viewfinder (having one is plus for me) and it turns on and after a few second, you can hit the record button. Vice-versa to turn-off.
Shoots in HD and records in 1080/60i and this equates to it being 24p or 30p via software when editing, this is argued extensively on forums, but the HDR-CX550V does not let you specify, which may be a good or bad thing depending on your own preferences. Having said that don't let the 1080/60i put you off, since this is the same with all other camcorders I have seen including professional camcorders.Read more ›
1. I decided on flash memory because you do not have the sound of a tape drive or a hard drive and the camera is more compact. 64GB gives you hours of recording time without the need to change miniDV tapes or buying extra memory cards. Copying the highly compressed video files to a MAC or PC takes minutes for hours of video. Compare this to miniDV tapes - hour for hour.
2. Quality low light performance is great on this model and far exceeds my old Sony HC-1.
3. This camcorder has a wider angle lens than most camcorders which to me is more desirable. The drawback is that such a 10x lens cannot zoom in as close which is fine unless you go on a safari.
4. The image stabilization is phenomenal. You could have a tremor and the picture is rock solid. You can walk with the camera and the picture is smooth. If you make a sudden movement you can see the picture lag and move less abruptly.
5. The touch screen menus take some exploring. You can customize "My settings" with buttons you wish to have at your finger tips. The only wish I have would be another recording button for one handed operation when you do not use the wrist strap.
Best accessory: the under water housing
7. Finally, this camcorder works great with MACs. Image Capture and iMovie recognize the camcorder and you can work with these applications as usual. Final Cut Pro works equally well, but instead of Log and Capture you have to use Log and Transfer (Shift Cmd 8)
Most Recent Customer Reviews
It came as described thought the LCD door was looser than I expected. However, functionally it works very well. Should have been sold 200 -300 dollars cheaper due to the wear. Read morePublished 3 months ago by henry D. White
I got my Sony CX550 back in late 2010. More than four years later, I still love its picture/sound quality, performance and functionality. Read morePublished 9 months ago by John M, New York
Ive used this camera for over 3 years. It has never failed me. I use it hunting videos a lot and it is nothing short of AWESOME!! Read morePublished on December 28, 2013 by crazyhorse bowhunter
Very good camcorder. Fast, light and of course using FLASH instead of tape is wonderful. My only complaint is Sony having switched away from Carl Zeiss lenses to their own... Read morePublished on November 28, 2013 by Amazoner Stallion
Easy to use, many options, GPS build in. This Sony HDR-CX550V camera, even used, still keeps the value. It is relatively rare offered on amazon,ebay, ...etc. Read morePublished on August 13, 2013 by karol gburski
I love everything about this camera. The video quality is amazing, even in low light conditions. [... Read morePublished on May 7, 2013 by Matt Jackson
Because an image worth a thousands words, check out my video I did with the same camera on youtube /watch? Read morePublished on December 13, 2012 by Chris
Love love love this video camera. Ex husband works with film industry said they use this one to film stuff they want to show the producer before they shoot it with the big... Read morePublished on November 3, 2012 by bumpgoose