on January 27, 2015
Verified Purchase
Yes. I ordered it Chrismas eve and received it within a week with all the parts.
I used it to record my daughters HS basketball game and was very pleased
with the HD picture quality. I still have to get use to using it, but so far it's a
nice upgrade.
on October 6, 2014
Seems to work fine.
on September 16, 2014
Verified Purchase
I've this camcorder for a couple of weeks now. I've got it for several functioning reasons (mic input, light, stabilizer...). What blew me away was over the weekend as I videoed a music conference, the camcorder not only videoed it, it also took photos as it videoed. That was simply too HOT! I wanted to take photos, too, but I thought I couldn't. Who knew the Sony camcorder was doing it for me. Wow! Really nice.

There have been a few surprises that have been impressing me about this purchase. Very happy with the purchase thus far!
on July 11, 2014
Verified Purchase
I love this camera... except for one minor detail. (Or possible defect?)

When I zoom all the way in on something that is black (whether it be an object or shadow) and it is in somewhat low lighting, there is pixel dropout. This is not motionless dropout where it's a few of the same pixels, it's more more like little white "twinkling stars" or "sparkles" that drop out momentarily. I first noticed this last night when I zoomed in to photograph the moon.

It's a bit frustrating, because it's quite noticeable. I'm fairly certain it's not the LCD viewfinder that's the issue - I tested this by playing back the recordings on my laptop and the dropout was still visible.

Is this a sensor issue? Or is the norm with these cams? I'd really like to fix this.

Besides this, I absolutely dig this camcorder.
on January 18, 2014
Verified Purchase
This camera delivers high quality video, it is easy to take anywhere, battery lasts a long time. Would certainly recommend it
on November 29, 2013
Verified Purchase
did not know that it does not have a setting for PAL and only has NTSC. Its been rendered sort of useless for me.
on October 30, 2013
Verified Purchase
I really like the camera, especially its anti-shake feature. I recently used it in a cab on fairly rough road. I had been under the impression that this feature would just compensate for your hands shaking a little. No Way! In the video you can see the dash board of the cab bouncing up and down from the pot holes, but what I was filming out the window was steady as a rock! Incredible, amazing technology. If you move the camera and look at the lens you will see that it stays in the same spot even though the camera body is moving.

This can also be a negative as you have to take that into account as you pan the camera. Since there is a bit of a delay in the pan due to the lens wanting to maintain the same position initially.

Unfortunately my camera had an audio issue with the built in microphone. Hissing sound and cutting in and out. Worked ok with external microphone so Sony is looking into that at the moment. I'm sure they'll take care of it for me.

The built in projector is only useful in a very dark room at the larger sizes, and in a shaded area for the smaller size projections. But still a neat feature for a quick preview of what you got.

Also I noticed on the built in screen that some shots look darker than they really are. Probably need to turn up the default brightness a bit since the same shot looked great when playing back on the PC.

Bottom line it takes great steady video, so I am very happy with it. I do wish they had included the night-mode for this price - would have preferred that to the built in projector.

I would also like to say that I found the online warranty process with Sony to be very good. It was good not having to go through the usual phone question and answer routine and just type what the problem was and get my shipping label!
VINE VOICEon October 17, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I had a previous generation camcorder from Sony, not on the prosumer level like this one, but a step down. I noted that it was quite good at what it did, good storage, really good video, good zoom, good quality with good sound. But for the most part a DSLR or even a smartphone, while not as good, have gotten good enough that one of these doesn't matter.

Now on the the PJ650V. I'm starting to rethink my above statement. The image stabilization on this camera, along with the video quality and basically how it is purpose built for taking video puts it quite a bit farther above most other solutions. It's true you can still get a DSLR that might do video that is the same, but without the correct lens, you may hear it focus, it may have poor autofocus during video, it definitely will not have as good of image stabilization unless you hook it up with a steadicam style rig, and it will still need some sort of external mic. If you drop a few grand on that setup, you can be where this gets you out of the box.

Some great features of this:
- Digital Viewfinder (many camcorders have foregone these)
- Great 5.1 surround mic
- Hot shoe for adding additional items (external mic, lights, wifi adapter).
- Wifi Adapter mentioned above is relatively cheap, and while it looks like it has some software issues (or did) it will automatically transfer videos/photos to your computer without any additional work. Too bad it's not built in, but great you can get it.
- Great lens w/ Great Image Stabilization
- Projector - I thought this would be a gimmick, but it's quite bright and works quite well. On par with a low end pico/micro projector. Instead of squeezing in to see the small screen, throw it up on the wall.

The model up from this upgrades the store (3x I believe to ~90 gbs), has an even better lens, and a top mounted mic with wind muffler on it, along with a projector that is even brighter.

The golden days of camcorders may be behind us, but the golden age of video creation (youtube/facebook/shorts/etc) is right now, and this will give you very good quality with little work, and less money invested.
VINE VOICEon September 25, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I own the Sony NEX 7 digital camera which takes amazing photos and can do HD videos. This camera does really good video but I am not sure it's great for photos. Again you are buying a video camera but just want to put it out there.

Here are some of the highlights (for me) on the camera

- the projector is a great idea, it's not going to be the best projector ever but to showcase something you've shot it's pretty neat. Also neat is that you can use the camera as a pass-through and connect another video source that can use the projector.
- the manual controls are well located and you can enable them by the push of a button
- love the built in light, good level of brightness
- very quiet zoom motor
- love the built in USB cable so that you don't have to worry or remember to have one with you to connect the camera.
- Excellent touchscreen display (probably as good as the NEX camera)
- Great sound.
- On board memory

If you have to look at cons, I would say that you can't change lenses like some other Sony models. Overall it's a solid camera
on September 23, 2013
Verified Purchase
It takes absolutely awesome HD video. It's light enough to hold for long periods. The thing is; I couldn't figure out how to make it work on my HD/HDMI TV, with sound from the TV or Surround system. I couldn't figure out how to burn it to a DVD, and be able to play it anywhere. Not a single device (TV, computers, BD Player, DVD Player) could read it, even after it was Finalized. There are other issues I needed to call Sony on the learn, as the instructions were horribly unclear. I got burned out doing that for every step. As it turns out, the camera is only partially compatible with Mac computers. I have a brand new 15'' MacBook Pro Retina. The software that it boasted to download ONLY works with a PC, just to start with. NOTHING in the ad stated that it was hardly compatible with Mac. I spent a week with it after videoing my mom's 83rd birthday party and can't share it with anyone, unless I show it directly from the camera, on an HDMI TV WITHOUT SOUND (only from my MacBook Laptop), or directly from my MacBook itself. Uploading it to the cloud. No sending DVD's to long distant friends and relatives. I felt SO let down. A GREAT camera........for people with PCs. In this day and age, one would think ANY of these types of devices would play from and on ANYTHING OUT THERE. But, no. Before you buy something, (from Sony anyhow) be sure to download the PDF Owners Manual and READ IT first. Deep into this camera's manual it states to the effect that it works BEST with PC. Man, is that an understatement. Definitely buy it if you have a PC...that's if it ain't crashed. HA!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations