5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting camcorder with some nice features and some quirks
Another family member had gotten the earlier model of this camcorder and liked it so I thought I'd give this one a try, even though the few existing reviews were not great.
Published 5 months ago by S. Patton

3.0 out of 5 stars Shoots a good picture, but difficult to use
Compared to my previous couple year old Canon full HD camcorder and my 6 month old Samsung Galaxy camera (yes camera, not phone), this takes better quality video in both full light and low light conditions. The optical zoom is very good at 27x (don't use digital zoom).

Published 3 months ago by Truth Teller

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting camcorder with some nice features and some quirks, April 26, 2014
This review is from: Sony HDRPJ275/B Video Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD (Black) (Electronics)
Yes, there is no audio in on this camera, even though it is listed as having one. Here's the thing, if I'm going to be doing a project that I need good audio for I'm going to record it on a separate device and sync it later anyway, so that wasn't a huge downside.

Big differences between the earlier HDR-PJ200 and this:
- This camera only takes MicroSD(HC&XC) and Memory Stick Micro, not full size SD
- The screen is not touch enabled which (for whatever reason) makes it much easier to see in bright sunlight
- The battery compartment is enclosed, so you can't put a large capacity battery hanging off the back
- The projector has HDMI in!

Pros:
- The projector is a really cool feature and with hdmi input it's extremely versatile
- Full 1920x1080p 60fps recording
- You can control the camera remotely! Viewing what it sees, starting/stoping, and zooming with your smartphone! (the camera becomes a wifi hotspot and you connect with an app)
- 9.2 MP stills

Cons:
- Single joystick to control most features (only dedicated buttons are snapshot, zoom, record, play mode, and projector). Honestly, if there was a dedicated button to switch from 9.2MP still mode to movie mode I would be happy.
- Can't zoom in on photos in review mode. I'm used to Canons that allow you to zoom in while reviewing pics to see if they are focused, can't do that with this guy
- Battery compartment is enclosed (can't hang high capacity battery off the back)
- Camera slightly slow to power up. 9 seconds from cold start, 3.5 seconds from previously on mode. There is some sort of smart power management system.

Other notes:
- You can turn off digital zoom and only use optical (recommended)
- You can turn off digital image stabilization which gets you a bigger image but be careful zooming in without a tripod
- You are supposed to put the microSD card in one way and the memory stick in upside down, just keep that in mind, if you put the microSD in upside down it will fit but not work
- If you're shooting indoors or in low light, I'd recommend 30fps instead of 60fps
- Quality seems to be good so far

I'll post updates as I get more of a feel for it, I've only had it two weeks or so. Will be taking it on a long trip soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a fully functional pocket projector AND a video camera, April 23, 2014
Length:: 8:04 Mins

Sony has put projectors in some of its camcorders for the last couple of years. They were a unique feature, but those earlier models would only play video stored on the camera itself.

Now the feature is much more functional thanks to an HDMI input that will allow other devices to be projected onto a screen through the camera. I was able to run both my Macbook Pro and an Xbox One through the camera's projector. Both worked great with no latency at 720P. In a dark room the image quality is surprisingly good considering the entire projector is sandwiched onto the camera's built in screen. It won't do as well in a better lit room (it's only 13 lumens). This is a very useful feature, especially given that the projector really doesn't add much bulk to the rest of the device.

So what about its main use as a video camera? Not bad. Image quality is as good as cameras in the same price range from Canon. Low light on this Sony camera is actually a little better than the Canon HF R50 I tested in the right conditions.

The zoom has integrated digital mode that kicks in automatically when the optical length runs out. I could not find any way to disable that feature nor is there a good indication of when the digital mode begins and the optical mode ends. Sony says that there's some active processing to improve the quality of the image, but it's far from perfect.

The stabilization is very, very good. Walking shots are smooth and stationary hand held shots tend to rival the kind of stable video you'd get from a tripod. Very impressive.

The charging cable / USB sync cable is integrated into the handstrap. The camera will charge through the USB while plugged into a computer. It also supports SDHC/XC cards as well as Sony's proprietary M2 format. The camera can record an AVCHD video and as well as an MP4 file simultaneously in all but the highest quality shooting mode. The camera supports up to 1080p resolution at 60 frames per second.

It does NOT have an integrated microphone port even though Amazon's description says it does.

The bottom line? It's an excellent low to mid-range camcorder. The projector is very useful thanks to the external input and essentially makes this two products in one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes great stills and video, has NFC & projector, lacks microphone jack, April 24, 2014
Andrea Polk (Pacific Northwest - USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Sony HDR-PJ275 offers a lot to the average consumer at a fair price. The built-in projector (up to 100" size videos with 13 lumens) works well, and a micro-HDMI port on the camcorder (HDMI In) offers the option to project from laptops, tablets, HDTVs and smartphones, as well as gaming systems and other devices. *(Cable included with camcorder.)

Connecting via Wi-Fi and NFC (Near Field Communication - found on smartphones and laptops like the Sony VAIO SVF1532DCXB 15.5-Inch Touchscreen i5 Laptop is a real bonus to this camcorder, as is the combined 54X (optical and digital) zoom; which can be turned on or off, and wide 29.8mm wide angle Carl Zeiss lens. Both video and stills are very sharp! 1920 x 1080P Full HD at 60 frames per second, offers video clarity that looks equally good on a small or big screen, and 9.2 MP photos are stunningly good!

NOTE: Mac users... do an internet search for "Convert Sony PJ275 60p AVCHD to AIC .mov for iMovie" to learn how-to!

NOTE: Regarding the Wi-Fi connection, you can use a tablet or smartphone to control the camera if they are paired with this camcorder and using a app to do so.

SteadyShot image stabilization; which you can turn on or off, does well when sweeping or moving with the camera, but struggles at full zoom. (Use a tripod and it's no issue.) Low light video looks good and the camcorder compensates very well in back lit shooting situations.

The option to add one of 7 different picture effects: Toy Camera, Pop Color, Soft High Key, Partial Color, Retro Photo, High-Contrast Monochrome, and Posterization are nice additions. You can use these and not have to do post-production editing to add the effects.

Being able to shoot simultaneously in MP4 and AVCHD (larger file size), is a nice feature, but you will want to have an additional memory card installed when doing so. You can add up to a 64GB microSD/microSDHC or microSDXC memory card, or a Memory Stick Micro (Sony Mark2) media up to 16GB.

The included Operating Guide offers minimal information, but the camera is fairly simple to operate, so it really isn't needed in most instances of use. The onscreen navigation is a bit cumbersome with the toggle-style button, but easy to understand. The Sony site has lots of information in their Support area which is helpful.

Overall, the camera isn't a huge step forward in terms of overall build quality or navigation, but it works well and takes excellent video and stills. (I own the: Sony HDR-CX230/B High Definition Handycam Camcorder with 2.7-Inch LCD (Black) and this videocam seems to have the same body and navigation, yet it's less money and an older product.)

The JP275 is lacking a port to add an external microphone. This is a common oversight at this price point, but I still wish it was a feature. I'd use it a lot more than NFC or the picture effects.

I love the projector, and in a dark room when it's focus is dialed in just right, it's like 'movie night'! A fun addition that for me, is the real reason to choose this camcorder over others in its class.

Most users will find more to like than dislike about this camcorder, but with so much competition at this price point and no real style or navigation changes, falling in love may be too much to ask. (But you're going to have some great dates and like each other a lot!)

UPDATE: 5/5/14

I took this camera with me to a school event my daughter was participating in, hoping to get some stellar video and stills for posterity sake. Unfortunately, what I got was less than I'd hoped.

Video which was captured by the videocam's internal memory at the highest resolution possible AVCHD turned out grainy, as did distance (15') stills. Lighting was indoor fluorescent, which may have contributed to the performance. Outdoor performance was definitely better, as were the results of stills taken within 6' of the camera.

I used 60i frame rate (should have used 60p) and had the dual video recording function turned on - to record for sharing. White balance, exposure, and focus were all on auto. In retrospect, turning on the faster frame rate and putting 'Low Lux' to 'on' would have been smarter in the lower light conditions. It seemed bright enough, and I saw the 'low light' indicator, but assumed (incorrectly) the camera would adjust for it in auto mode.

There is a Scene Selection are in the Camera/Mic area of the Menu, which has a low light scene, but a tripod is suggested. In addition there are settings for a few other scenarios.

SteadyShot was enabled, as was the auto back light and digital zoom features. Face detection and the bit-in zoom mic were also enabled.

While I was disappointed in the quality of video and stills I got at the event, I can't help but think that most of the issues were my lack of experience with using this camera, more than the camera itself. I thought about dropping a star rating on the camera, but I just wouldn't feel good about it at this point. I will continue to use this camera and update the review after I've used it awhile longer and gotten used to the settings.

Indoor shots out of the box were very nice and clear on all the auto settings, but obviously that won't be the case with every seen unless you adjust for it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Shoots a good picture, but difficult to use, June 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

The image stabilization works very well. I let my 6 year old shoot some videos and I was amazed at how shake free the picture came out.

The wifi mode and ability to control it from your phone is very cool. That is a very nice feature and I can't definitely see myself using it to remotely control it.

The projection mode is really cool, but I haven't found a venue to properly take advantage of it.

So why do I knock it a few stars? Primarily because it is difficult to use.

It takes about 5 seconds to be ready to use from the time you power it on (which you do by opening the display screen).

The manual lens cap is annoying, especially since I forget to close it half the time.

The UI is confusing and difficult to use. It seems way harder to navigate and do simple playback than it should. Video playback is a real pain to get it to show the clip you want. I didn't figure out until I downloaded the videos that it wasn't even shooting in 1920x1080 by default. It was shooting in 1440x1080 with lower mbps recording, which meant that my daughters ballet recital got recorded in a lower quality video setting that I certainly would have wanted. It took me looking at the details of the recording after downloading it to figure it out.

The USB cord to charge it is a permanently attached 2 inch long cord that requires an adapter to a USB extension cord. Meaning I have to carry the extension cord with me. I couldn't get it to charge from the other micro USB input, which would have made a lot more sense since I only have 400 other devices with micro USB charging, which means I always have a charger nearby.

I'll continue to use this for taking videos better than a cell phone, but it simply isn't very much fun to use since it has all these usability quirks and annoyances.

4.0 out of 5 stars Small Video Camera with Built-In Projector, Wi-Fi, Other Useful Features, May 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This Sony distinguishes itself from some other Sony models and other brands by several features, including a built-in projector and WiFi capabilities that can upload to your PC (read on for Mac info) or smart phone.

I was most excited about the WiFi capabilities, although that's also where I was most disappointed. It connects to your home network using WPA or by manually entering the network password. Using WPA, I had my camera connected in less than a minute. This feature requires downloading software from the Sony site and/or downloading the iOS or Android app from the appropriate store. I love that I can copy a video on the camera to my iPhone in just a few seconds. The interface with the Mac OS is not as smooth. Even though the camera is on my home WiFi network and even though it knows to connect to my Mac, the connection fails, every time. I've resigned myself to uploading files to my computer using USB -- not a big deal, but certainly not something I should have to do with a WiFi camera.

Now that I've gotten the negatives out of the way, on to the better aspects of this camera. It has a nice 27x optical zoom with a 54x digital zoom; the digital zoom must be turned on using the menu, so there's so way you'll accidentally shoot video in this lesser quality method. The short USB cord tucks into the hand strap so it's always on-board, although, if you're like me, you'll want an extender.

The projector is a cool feature, although I doubt I'll use it much. Not only will it project video shot on the camera, but also it will take input from a media source, run it through the camera using a HDMI to miniHDMI cable (3-ft cable included), and then project it on a wall or screen. Of course, you can also play back video using the same method to your TV.

Like many cameras with lots of features, the menu can be a pain to navigate. The good news is that, if all you want to do it shoot video, you can do it pretty much straight out of the box. It comes with 8GB of internal memory and can use up to 64GB memory on a mini-SD card (not included.) You have to manually select which memory you'd like to use using the menu toggles; the default is internal memory.

One thing I like about this Sony camera over another one I own is the manual lens cap. At first, I thought it would be a pain; however, I like that the lens can be protected when the camera is on and transferring or projecting video. The 2.7 LCD screen displays a warning message when the lens is covered, but there's also the blank screen that alerts you.

As with other Sony cameras, the holding/shooting can be awkward until you adjust. If you wrap your hand under the camera for balance, you won't be able to easily reach the record button. I had to get into the habit of keeping my entire hand on the outside of the camera. Even though I'm a lefty and all shooting buttons must be activated using the right hand, I have no trouble. The zoom and still camera buttons are conveniently located on the top.

Shooting in low light can result in noisy video, especially if you don't select the low-light option. The low-light feature makes all the difference in video quality. Zooming in and out can also create noisy video as the camera takes time to adjust. Still, the video as viewed through the LCD screen is never as good as when the video is viewed on my computer. I've been impressed with the detail it picks up. Image stability works best when the zoom isn't being used; the greater the zoom, the shakier the video. That shouldn't be surprising, however.

Camcorder manufacturers have had to come up with features that are better than the capabilities found in smart phones, even on entry-level cameras. This Sony is a great example of such a camera.

-- Debbie Lee Wesselmann

5.0 out of 5 stars Shoots great 1080 Full HD 60P video! Takes great photos! AND it's a great projector, all in one small convenient package !!, May 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For a convenient device in a small package, you simply cannot go wrong with the Sony HDRPJ275/B video camera.

According to the included documentation,the Sony HDR-PJ275/B features includes:
* 1920x1080 Full HD 60p with a 9.2MP Exmor R CMOS Sensor (shoots stills as well as video)
* 29.8 mm wide angle lens (allows for wide shots)
* 8 GB internal memory
* uses micro SD or micro memory stick to expand the memory for longer videos
* Project 100" videos with 13lm built-in projector via HDMI input
* Wireless control, transfer, data backup via NFC/Wi-Fi1
* One Touch Sharing
* Dual recording, simultaneously, in both AVCHD was well as the smaller MP4.
* Continuous recording time with the included Np-BX1 battery is rated at 125 minutes. If this is a concern, buy an extra battery. I always like to have a spare with me on every shoot.

Pros:
* Need a convenient portable projector? Input your laptop, tablet, kindle or smart phone via HDMI signal into this handycam and display it on a white sheet, a white wall or a white tarp!
* Control the recording of this video from your smart phone or tablet via an app (free)
* GREAT zoom, even up to 54x!
* Motion shots - You can play back a few seconds as a superimposed image for great effects. I LOVE this feature!!
* The screen is NOT a touchscreen so no more finger smeared screens. There's a tiny joystick to maneuver the menus.

Cons:
* No microphone jack

I bought the Sony LCS-U5 for this Sony video camera. Unfortunately the case is not designed to store the charging cord nor a video cable along with the Handycam, so next time I intend to purchase a slightly larger storage case.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent recorder with SteadyShot, good zoom, and built in projector, June 18, 2014
C. Weaver (Franklin, TN USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Sony HDR-PJ275 pack a lot of basic features into a lightweight low-cost consumer camera.
1920x1080 Full HD 60p w/9.2MP Exmor R CMOS Sensor records very good quality shots for such a small camera.

Project 100" videos with 13lux/m with built-in projector. You can project recording form internal memory, memory stick or microSD as well as a mini HDMI input. You will need a fairly dark room, especially at larger sizes and text can be a little grainy, but very useable. The focus is a bit course with manual slider and the diagonal size is about 1/2 of the distance from the projection surface.

Wireless control, transfer, data backup via NFC/Wi-Fi using free Sony apps for remote viewing and control.

The 29.8mm wide angle Carl Zeiss Lens With a 1.9/2.1 lens and improved sensor technology provides low light recording that is acceptable with only slight grain. The lens cap is integrated with a manual slider switch to open the shutter.

Zoom is 27x Optical/54x Clear Image Digital. The digital soon is fairly effective but can be disabled in the menu . There is no way to tell when you switch from optical to digital while recording.

LCD display is 2.7” Clear Photo (230K). With no viewfinder, you will rely on the lcd screen which is fairly large and bright enough for most occasions. Menu can be tough to navigate in the bright conditions.

The camera is very lightweight but with SteadyShot image stabilization w/ Active Mode and very little effort you can get that “Steady Cam” look in active shots.

Nearly 2 hours of HD LP mode video recording on the imbedded 8GB Flash Memory and ability to add up to 64GB microSD/microSDHC or microSDXC or up to 16GB memory stick.

7 built in effects for in camera creativity including Toy Camera, Pop Color, Soft High Key, Partial Color, Retro Photo, High Contrast Monochrome, and Posterization for both photo and video modes.

Dual recording when using a high speed memory card with high quality AVCHD and Internet ready MP4

The JP275 has a built in permanently attached 2” USB charging cable that stores in the hand strap and comes with an extension cable. micro HDMI in and out, and a micro USB for data (not charging) but it lacks microphone and headphone jacks.

4.0 out of 5 stars No Pause/Resume feature., August 27, 2014
I received mine today and tried it out to see--
Cons-
First thing I noticed is it's very light and feels cheap. (the booklet is full of warnings about vibration and moisture causing damage and I believe them!)
2nd thing is this. There is no pause/resume. I will be using it to shoot football games and typically we pause/resume between plays. So I will either end up with a 100 individual clips, or 100+ extra minutes of video to edit out. (not so happy about that...)
3rd the Sony salesperson told me the battery would last 5 hours. I did some checking and found online where it said the average shooting time is 60 minutes.
4th the booklet with instructions is brief and not at all complete. No instructions except for the basic quick start.
Pros-
The zoom button is located on top of the camera in a position that will make it very easy to use.
The HD detail appears to be very good.
Shot some low light stuff and it came out surprisingly good.
Wide angle lens is a big plus!
Summary-
So far I am pleased. Will find a work around for everything except the lack of a pause/resume button. I guess we will just shoot the entire game and the edit it (good part is you do not have to remember the resume:-). The zoom is really impressive. The projector is easy to use, just not sure we will use it much if at all.
The other cool stuff like the wifi & NFC are probably outside of my abilities to use, but they sound like it would make it very easy for someone who was good at the tech stuff.

3.0 out of 5 stars needs to be touchscreen like it said it was., August 28, 2014
Photomom "G Jones" (Lake Charles, LA. USA) - See all my reviews
I tried to give it 3.5 stars, but it would not let me leave less than a whole star. If it had a touch screen like the specifications said it did I would have given it a higher score. It took me a week to figure out how to get the hang of that ridiculous toggle button. Once I did and finally got the camera's wifi talking to my computer and tablet it was great, but I actually had it boxed up ready to send back but I just wasn't ready to pay what the next camera that came close to what I wanted.
I took it back out of the box and it is working great. Im so glad that I gave it a 2nd chance. I got this to record my son marching in his college marching band. His friends are really excited about the projector, (we shall see lol).
If it does good recording them, I may change my review to 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars This camera works well and as advertised., September 27, 2014
Video is very good but you must have light it's not a low light camera. I've shot video professionally for over 25 years and all video need the right light for the effect you want. Outside video is great but pick up a good LED for inside and there is no problem. The 8 meg still shot is good but use a tripod. Stills with video are rough but a tripod and light help. The projector is cool and video in is nice with a dark room. I suggest picking up the USB to video out if you want to monitor audio and video on a TV. With RCA to stereo 1/8 mini plug Y adapter you should be able to use head phones to monitor audio.

Easy to use menu. If you can navigate on your cell phone you can do this. Remote with a cell phone works well.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›