5.0 out of 5 stars Dont even worry.....
I was skeptical I admit

I moved out of my house into a much smaller townhouse and I had to give up my Klipsche 2 series 5.1 system.....I HATED giving up surround sound. I have been bouncing back forth between this one and the CT350 model. I was scared that this wouldn't be as loud as I would like it........wow was I wrong. The room I have it in is only 11 X 15...
Published on June 22, 2010 by J. Spencer

3.0 out of 5 stars CT150: How to Connect & Configure to Get Proper Surround Sound.
This device is almost too easy to set up as there are some major pitfalls that take a few minutes to unravel. I was having problems getting the subwoofer to produce real sound, and the overall sound was very flat. The unit is rather secretive about being misconnected & misconfigured. Here is the proper way to connect and configure the unit to get actual surround sound...
Published 20 months ago by Tony M.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 490 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Issues with the Video Switching, December 20, 2010
Rich DM (Rochester, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony HT-CT150 3D Sound Bar System (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
See the review from "Matt Little Bear" as well, and the comments under his review. I believe he had the same issue I'm running into. The TV here is a Samsung PN50C680 3D plasma unit.

I bought the Sony HT-CT150 sound bar because it was designed to be a little AV component, with the capability to take up to 3 HDMI inputs and switch the outputs to the TV. Switching at the HT-CT150 promised better sound than doing the switching at the TV and having the sound sent from TV to the sound bar.
I had this running for about 2 weeks with zero problems. I then rearranged the room to try a new TV placement, and when I set it all back up and turned it on, the video had gone to crap. I had connected a Motorola cable/DVR box, a Samsung BluRay disc player, and an "old" Roku streaming box. When I chose any device to display through the Sony, all I got was terrible quality video that would flash on and off every few seconds, and sometimes a "no signal" readout on the TV. I tried some cable swapping, resetting power, and every setting in the box, but to no avail. I moved the HDMI cables to the TV, and all of the devices were working fine. I was able to send the sound from the TV to the Sony box via the optical audio cable, and the sound was fine. I didn't call Sony tech support, because this was new, and I had had it working perfectly before it broke.

I requested a replacement from the retailer, and about a week ago, I received it. I set it up, being careful of the order in which I plugged the power and signal cables, fearing that it might have been an electrostatic discharge that caused the earlier unit to malfunction. During the maiden voyage of the system, the Cable/DVR box worked great, the Roku box worked great. When i switched to the Bluray player, I got a picture for a second or two, some crackling in the audio, and then nothing. The channel with the BluRay player is dead, with the "no signal" indication on the TV. The other two channels continue to work fine.

I wanted this to work, was briefly pleased (my biggest complaint was the IR receiver being on the sub instead of on the speaker bar), but today I'm getting a refund and will buy a simpler sound bar system without the video, and do the switching at the TV. Amazon return policy is great, btw.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome product, November 21, 2011
I bought this sound system for a couple of reasons.
One, i live in an apartment and i wanted something simple without dealing with the full surround sound system with wires and having to hand up the surround sound speakers on the wall etc.
Two, I wanted the Sony brand b/c I have a Sony TV and they work together wonderfully utilizing their Sync technology

This product delivers. It simulates a surround sound system by using just the sound bar and subwoofer. Granted, you won't hear sounds from behind you like you would if you had surround sound speakers mounted on the wall behind you but it gets the job done. The sound is very clear and the subwoofer makes an impact. (you can adjust the sub to your liking)
The installation was very simple. My TV supports ARC (audio return channel). Basically you have to plug all HDMI cables (from xbox and cable box) into the subwoofer (instead of back of TV) and then you buy a HDMI 1.4 cable to output all video and audio to TV. (if your tv supports ARC) So to recap, you have all HDMI cables going into the subwoofer and only one HDMI 1.4 cable going out from subwoofer to TV. Then instead of switching the input on your TV, you switch the input on the subwoofer.

Overall, setup was simple, system looks sleek and low profile. Sound is clear and crisp. Sub produces enough bass to where you feel it. It is worth the price and I would buy again and recommend. Huge difference from crappy built-in TV speakers.

I will restate that although it is supposed to simulate a true surround system, you would be able to tell a difference if you had speakers mounted behind your head (with a true 7.1 or 5.1 surround system) vs the one soundbar in front of you. I didn't want the 5.1 or 7.1 system and this simple system simulates surround sound enough that you will be satisfied.

Hope this helps.

2.0 out of 5 stars Screen blacks out almost nightly.. AND NO ONSCREEN DISPLAY!!, September 8, 2011
Pros - video switching, easy set up, good sound
Cons - No on screen display, haven't gotten the ipod dock to work with it yet, mine seems to have issues.
I've had this unit for about a year. It started off well, then about 4 months ago it started acting up. I have a Tivo Premier, Sony Blueray, and a VHS hooked up to it. No matter which input it is on, the screen will randomly go black, the sound will disappear, and about 5 to 10 seconds later all will come back and it will work fine. With these devices plugged directly into the TV it works fine. Sometimes it blacks out and I have to power it off and on to get the picture back. Annoying - Maybe I got a dud. And it sucks not to have an on-screen display - the display on the sub is very small.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony soundbar ct150, November 12, 2010
The HTCT 150 works well with the TV I have, a Sony 40 inch Bravia TV, and the small space we have for our entire system. It was easy to connect to my TV, the Blu-Ray player, and my DirecTV DVR. One word about the connection is that I searched the internet for a better way to connect than what the included instructions suggested and it seems to work better.

The soundbar projects sounds into the room, much better than the Bravia TV. The Bravia TV speakers are pretty bad, in my opinion, and make it difficult to hear speech unless the sound is turned way up. This is true even when I experimented with the different sound options on the TV's menu.

The CT 150 soundbar will not support DTS-HD, Dolby True HD or Dobly Digital Plus, but does support Dolby, Digital, Linear PCM (2 channels), Linear PCM (5.1 channel, 7.1 channel on HDMI). There are a number of good features once it's set up that make the system work well with your preferences. Just remember, it is a sound system for small spaces, much less complicated wiring, since you won't have to have wires all around the room to accommodate speakers all around the room.

The soundbar makes it very easy to hook up your other audio equipment, DVR/satellite & blu-ray to one system and play all this equipment with one remote (if compatible). It works best if all your equipment is Sony Bravia Sync.

My biggest gripe is that I have not found a way to hang/connect the soundbar directly on my TV. It has holes in the back to hang on a wall, but it would be great if Sony would make a bracket of some sort that would allow it to hang on the top or bottom of the Bravia TV. The way we have our TV hanging on the wall, we have no place to hang the sound bar to make it appear part of the entire system (inconspicuous). If anyone has any suggestions for this, I'm open...

The other gripe is that the subwoofer is very large and with the space we have available, we had to set it on its side, which makes reaching the controls difficult. But that's more our problem than Sony's.

Other than that, it has been the perfect solution for our small space.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for the average, non-Sony dedicated consumer., July 29, 2011
M. Cullinane (Lincoln, NE USA) - See all my reviews
*Update August 24, 2011*
There's no mistaking it, the video being put into the soundbar, and then back out the TV is muddied, lacking colors, and smudged. I ran my PC out to the soundbar, and what was previously coming through the regular HDMI port on the television as crystal clear is now blurry and the colors are washed out. I'm changing my rating from three stars to two, because I am completely unsatisfied with this product.

-Original review-
I'm not really that big into sound, but I've had a 5.1 channel home theater system for the longest time, and I can certainly appreciate the quality you get from a dedicated sound system. When I decided to make a second area for movies and games, I figured I'd pick up one of these sound bars I've been hearing so much about.

I suppose I should have read the product description more closely, because what arrived contained the largest sub-woofer I've ever seen. In the room that I have chosen to place it in, the space is small, and the configuration already so tight as-is, that I literally have no options or space for it except to just arbitrarily plop it in front of the entertainment center. I have eighteen different places in here that a sub-woofer could go, but this juggernaut is always just an inch or two too tall for the biggest spots.

As far as the setup goes, it was fairly easy. Getting it to work took some figuring out. The manual talks about how easy it is when all of your devices are Sony. The problem is, this sound bar is the only thing in the entire configuration made by Sony. I don't know why it took so long, or seemed so complicated to run the Xbox through the sound unit and back to the television, but it was a frustrating process.

The image coming out from the sound bar looks different now, though I can't put my finger on it. It looks like the contrast has been pumped up or something. I didn't like it, nor the fact that now just to play the Xbox, I have to turn on the entire sound bar unit (even if I wanted to use my Turtle Beach headphones), so I tried running the audio using the included optical cable. This created a noticeable delay in the audio, which just frustrated me to no end.

The icing on this cake is that I am not impressed with the sound I'm getting from this sound bar. It doesn't sound any cleaner than the sound I was already getting from this particular tv. And considering it uses the obelisk from 2001 : A Space Odyssey as a subwoofer, I was equally unimpressed with the bass. I have gotten bass from subwoofers two or three times smaller that probably rattle the foundations of my neighbors house. I cranked up the subwoofer volume on this unit, and could only barely tell that it was working.

I'm sure that this product is good for someone out there. That someone likely uses all Sony products, has sufficient space for the ridiculous, juggernaut-sized subwoofer, and also enjoys mediocre sound quality.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sounds good, but video problems, December 29, 2010
The system sounds good for the price, but there is a definitively a problem with the hdmi switcher.
When you use it hdmi is dimmer and does not look as crisp as when it is plugged directly into the tv.

At first I thought I was mistaken, but my neighbor said the same thing. So I pulled up a avatar @ 1080p paused
it and then switch from hdmi switcher on the sub and directly to the tv. For sure there is a problem.

I have good hdmi cables and tried swapping to see if that was a problem, but made no difference.

If anyone has any suggestions let me know. I have been searching the net and reviews for answers but haven't
found anything.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Sound, But Annoying Control System, November 4, 2011
Sandtu (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
This system was very easy to set up, and the soundbar sound is very good for a system of this type. However, one difficulty I am having is that when I turn off the TV/Cable box, when I restart them the only sound is from my TV, to get the sound system back on requires that you turn on the system, select the sound input (CATV in my case), my older sound system didn't require me to turn it on each and every time. When I switch to Roku or DVD player of course need to change the input which is fine, but don't see what this functionality wasn't included.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really truly great! Very clear sound., December 26, 2012
I was inspired to write this review after giving the Sony HT-CT 150 a few good practice runs.

The sound bar currently sits atop my vizio tv in my average sized bedroom. I am currently using 2 out of 3 HDMI inputs and one RCA input. The system works great in that department. Handles all of my components really well. *You might have read reviews that say that there are issues changing inputs (taking awhile to get picture on TV or 'no signal'). I have discovered that if you push the input you are wanting to change to multiple times, it solves the issue of 'no signal' on the tv. Even with the occasional input changing burp, the input switch is still much faster and smoother than my vizio tv... That thing is slo[...] X.x

Obviously this system doesn't compare to a full custom 5.1 stereo system with receiver and multiple amplifiers (like we have in the family room). However, this sound bar is an awesome addition to a bedroom or average sized entertainment rooms. I got this product to mainly improve dialogue loudness and clarity from my stock tv speakers. Definitely a huge upgrade from the crappy speakers that come stock on tv's today.

I have been to multiple Bose Audio stores and also own an array of Bose equipment. I've gotten the full demo treatment from Bose. I am pleasantly surprised to say that this Sony sound bar has amazing Bose-esque clarity in the highs. Along with the crystal clear highs it has a decent sized sub that balances the lows with the highs. I'm not much of a fan for house shaking explosions in my bedroom (that's why we have a different, much more complex stereo system in the family room). However, the Sony HT-CT150 definitely has the potential to rock a bedroom pretty good.

I like this system a lot. Sets up very easily and clean. No there isn't a wireless woofer, but I am one to believe that the wireless sub isn't going to hit every time it needs to. I want 100% assurance that my sub would play in a balanced fashion with the sound bar.

If you're getting this sound bar expecting house shaking bass or primarily to listen to bassy music like hip hop or house music, you might want to stay away. However, if you like classical, jazz, country, blues or any other genre using real instruments and vocals, you are in for a treat!! :)

The system sounds great out of the box, gives you plenty of options to make it sound just how you want. Currently I have my center channel at +2 and the sub at +1 and I am loving how these "Blues" are sounding!!!

Pro's:
-Very clear and surprisingly loud sound comparable to Bose equipment for only a fraction of the cost
-Balanced bass that still might make ya jump, perfect for a bedroom
-Inputs! 2 RCA (how I connect my pc to the soundbar) and 3 HDMI (Xbox, satellite, bluray)
-Clean looking setup
-The virtual surround sound works great if you have walls pretty close behind where you will be sitting.
-Settings are very customizable and the menu is very user friendly.
-Auto standby (turns itself off when inactive)
-All music involving instruments (blues, jazz, classical, etc) sounds very impressive and clear.
*P.S.* You might be able to customize your settings to play rap or hip-hop how you like, but I have a much more powerful system in my car and family room and nothing will compare to listening to bassy music without the equivalent 10-12" subwoofer. The Sony sound bar is much clearer sound than my car, and actually competes with the family room setup which currently has a Bose center channel (not in loudness or room filling, but in clarity)
-Fan does its job really well and keeps everything cool.
-Looks very clean. Much cleaner than all the wiring and massive heat syncs that were on the woofer/amp of the system the Sony will be replacing, 5.1 THX system from logitech.

Cons:
-The remote has to see the front of the woofer (signal can be boosted with remote control extender)
-Should include the brackets to mount on your TV.
-Woofer does its job with crisp, clean bass, but doesn't hit like a 10 or 12" not that you can expect it to. But entertainment enthusiasts who want their hair to move on queue with explosions are going to need a much more complex/highly expensive system.

Overall, you cannot beat this item for the price. Very simple to set up. Very very clear, crisp and loud sound for a bedroom. Very nice replacement from the mess of wires of a 5.1 system. Also a very very nice upgrade from stock tv speakers. I am very pleased with what I'm hearing. Currently my computer/Xbox/satellite all work perfectly how I expected--all using Sony ht-ct150 for audio and using my vizio 42" for video.

Hope you decide on a Sony soundbar. Sony really has it down with this one.

Happy holidays. Merry Christmas!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this sound bar, September 15, 2011
Mr. McGibblets (northern hemisphere) - See all my reviews
I recently purchased a new LED TV and wanted some nice sound to accompany that crisp picture. I also wanted it to be somewhat small and easy to install. Sound bars seemed like a perfect solution and I made the right choice with this product. First thing I noticed is that it just looks good. Browsing from one sound bar to the next, I noticed how cheap some of them looked and felt. Whereas the Sony HT-CT150 looked classy. Just a heads up, that finish on the subwoofer scuffs and scratches easily so think twice before you put anything on top. The looks drew me in but how does it sound? Pretty good. I don't mean to downplay it but its roughly on par with a couple of hundred dollar computer speakers I own from Bose and Creative. Don't get me wrong, it sounds great but its also more than twice the cost. Now the subwoofer defiantly gives it an edge over those cheaper units and as a whole, I am very pleased. What makes this system worth the cost is how it streamlines the entertainment center. Rather than running all your HDMI cables from various components to your TV you simply connect your devices (PS3, XBOX, Apple TV, etc.) directly to one of the subwoofer's 3 HDMI inputs then run a single HDMI cord from the output to your TV. Initially I was a bit off put by the fact that the subwoofer wasn't wireless like so many other brands but given it's function as a switch box, that is a non-issue. The convenience doesn't end there. It also has a simple remote (batteries included) but you may not even need it. The system works so beautifully with the TV that I am able to turn on both the sound bar and the TV with the television remote alone. Same goes for adjusting sound volume. It doesn't even need to be a sony product (my TV is a Sharp). Lastly, I want to comment on a neat feature where you can change the sound channel to better compliment the media you are enjoying. For instance there is a movie channel which makes the voices louder. I love that because so many movies these days like to whisper dialogue and blast sound effects. Overall, this is a most worthy purchase. I bought mine through this site by a vendor called abt electronics. I had a great experience with them. their price was great, item shipped incredibly fast and I paid no shipping. Just thought I'd mention that since I was initially hesitant to buy from them as I had never heard of them before.

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy setup, good sound, difficult user interface., September 8, 2011
Setup was unbelievably easy (Cable TV, Blu-Ray, Apple TV, Sonos audio system), given that the HDMI cables carry audio as well as video, but it surprises me that a device responsible for putting the picture on the TV screen does not display on-screen menus.

Instead, there's a small LED readout on the front face of the subwoofer which is too small to read from the couch. And many of the settings are accessed via deep, modal menus - menus in which you can only see one option at a time on the readout (when you're close enough).

For example, to change the subwoofer level, you hit the "Amp Menu" button, and the word "LEVEL" appears on the LED readout. (LEVEL is a menu item, as it turns out.) Then you can either hit the Up and Down arrows to see menu items other than LEVEL, or you can hit Select, and then hit the up and down arrows again to scroll through the various levels you might want to set. When you see "SUBWOOFER," you hit Select again, and then hit the up and down arrows to adjust that level.

Tedious! And there is no way on earth I would have figured out how to set the subwoofer level without the manual. And again, you have to be able to read the menus to do this, which means getting up off the couch. (The horror!) You'd think something as essential would be more directly accessible - say, a dedicated subwoofer button on the remote.

The remote does have a button to access night mode directly, which is nice considering how deep that option is in the menus. Still, you have to get up from the couch to see which night mode you've chosen when you press it.

But, the sound is good, and setup was a cinch, so, three stars. Perhaps a Harmony remote can address the usability of this device.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 490 | Next ›