4.0 out of 5 stars Good alternative to complicated home theater setups
Published 11 months ago by Ed

3.0 out of 5 stars Many great features, one "killer" flaw
Published 12 months ago by S. Vozzo

4.0 out of 5 stars Good alternative to complicated home theater setups, July 16, 2013
Ed (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sony HT-CT660 46-Inch Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There was a time when the only way I'd watch a movie at home was through a 5.1 surround setup, complete with receiver, digital audio cables, subwoofer, and of course, five speakers. Watching movies and playing Playstation games were immensely satisfying. However, I grew tired of the complicated setup, wires and just the sheer amount of equipment required to make everything work right and sound great. I gave it all up for convenience, but will admit that I do miss the great sound in movies -- TV speakers are just terrible.

I'd been contemplating getting a soundbar to enhance my home theater experience and was fortunate enough to give the Sony HT-CT660 a try. In the last two weeks, the HT-CT660 has had a huge impact in how much I enjoy watching videos and listening to music in my living room.

PROS
- Good sound
- Three HDMI inputs
- Wireless subwoofer
- NFC and Bluetooth
- Customizable sound

CONS
- Subwoofer level is too high by default
- No wall-mounting hardware included

SOUND QUALITY
The sound quality of the HT-CT660 is good for a soundbar, but I had to fiddle with the tone levels a bit to get it just right. Out of the box, the subwoofer level was way too high. I turned it down and increased the treble slightly to clean up some of the higher frequencies. I tuned it for listening to music in stereo, which translated well for movies and TV, in my opinion. The virtual surround presets worked fairly well when watching TV or movies, but had the opposite effect on music. Music sounded best in stereo mode. The 330 watt system can definitely fill a small to medium-sized room without a sweat. It'd probably fine in larger rooms as well, as long as you weren't expecting a completely immersive experience in such a room.

SETUP
Setting up the HT-CT660 was a breeze. It has three HDMI inputs, one analog input, one optical input and one HDMI out. The optical audio cable was included in the box and is what I used to connect my three year old Samsung HDTV to it. The soundbar has two mounting holes in the back for wall mounting, but for some reason, Sony doesn't include the screws. However, they do provide the specifications for the screw size and the exact depth and width that the screws should be positioned. The HT-CT660 would obviously be easier to place on a TV stand, but if you've wall-mounted your TV, you'll probably want to do the same with the soundbar.

DISPLAY & FEATURES
The front panel displays your input source (TV, HDMI1, 2, 3, analog, and BT AU) and displays advanced settings when you want to customize it. Just above the display is the NFC chip, which you can use to easily pair your smartphone to the HT-CT660. I paired an Android smartphone to it with ease and the Bluetooth audio came through clearly. The Bluetooth feature is actually one of the best aspects of the soundbar, IMO. Without having to pay for an extra BT speaker, you can just use the soundbar that's already in your living room to play music from your portable music player, smartphone, or tablet. It's an awesome convenience.

CONCLUSION
I love good sound quality, but these days, I prefer convenience, ease of use, and less clutter. Unfortunately, relying on TV speakers means you sacrifice a lot of sound quality and power. Soundbars like the Sony HT-CT660 are a good compromise between using sub-par TV speakers and a full-blown surround system. The HT-CT660 is a two-piece system that sounds good, doesn't take up a great deal of room, and has modern features (NFC and Bluetooth).

3.0 out of 5 stars Many great features, one "killer" flaw, June 30, 2013
Bought this because the HT-CT260 got rave reviews (see CNET and PC Mag) and I liked that one in the stores. This model is an upgrade/newer version of it and larger so it fits a 46" TV. Be warned that it may block your tv's remote sensor and, while it offers IR pass through, it will only do that if your TV's sensor is towards the middle of your set. I just moved my bar a few inches over. Can mount on the wall if you want but you would need 90 degree cable adapters if using HDMI. Very easy to set up, sound is very solid with multiple fields to choose from 8). Strangely, the remote only has buttons for six of them but you can also switch up/down the field menu with the remote to access the rest (remote is probably designed for the 260 - why, Sony?) Sounds best at loud volume, variable results at lower volumes, stereo and sound separation is also variable but generally pretty good considering this is not true surround. Has onboard EQ which helped because, at default, the bar lacks treble responsiveness. I like how you can adjust vocals to be louder or softer and this bar responds very well to that. I do wish that you could create separate EQ settings for each sound field as each one has its peculiarities that could use some minor tweaking. My favorite feature is the bluetooth and how easy it is to play anything off your smartphone - and it seems to have a good distance range. This bar has both HDMI (3) inputs and an optical input. I tried comparing the two and did not notice any tangible difference, though consumer forums tend to suggest using the HDMI for better sound (not sure why, the sound bar has its own processing). You can form your own opinions about this but at least this bar offers options to have it your way. Price is good for what it does. I wouldn't say the sound fills the room but it does add significant depth to the experience.

Now the negatives. While it sounds very good, don't expect it to equate to a 5.1 surround system, which you can get for the same price at entry-level quality. This is of good quality but not an audiophile's dream. This unit was working great for 3 weeks and then suddenly started to not turn on unless unplugged for a considerable amount of time - was not overheating or suffering from humidity. Sony tech support not only could not figure it out but misquoted the warranty saying I might have to pay for labor to repair it (warranty is for parts and labor for 1 year, replacement with new or refurbished parts/model at their discretion). Turned out, I believe, to be a fault with the auto system standby/power down feature so I disabled it and it seems to work ok for now. This left a bad taste in my mouth and, after some reading, found my bar is not the only one to suffer problems so soon.

While this isn't my favorite purchase, I will at least say it is probably the better sound bar out there for the price. I hope yours doesn't die like mine did - and I hope it won't need repairs. I tend to find Sony to make very good products technically but mixed in reliability and higher-priced than other brands in general. For the same price, I could have obtained a surround system with a receiver but that wasn't what I wanted due to the clutter and wires involved. Keeping it unless it dies again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Room Filling Sound, June 28, 2013
Bill Stockstill ""Bill"" (Marietta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As noted, this 2.1 sound bar isn't hard to set up. After doing so, I spent some time going through all the different features and played around with it and my Panasonic GT50 series TV. First off the sound is full and rich but I don't really get any kind of a surround effect. I got more of one with the built in sound bar and add on subwoofer combo with my Mitsubishi LCD TV with Unisen sound bar. But it is a richer, more robust sound than comes with my current TV. I have this sitting on the TV stand in front of my TV. It is in front of the TV and I freaked out a little when my TV's remote wasn't working as it is supposed to do with the pass through feature. Then I read that its turned off by default and once I activated it, it works fine. My TV remote also controls the sound bar volume. And since my Smart TV has Audio Return Capability (ARC), the apps on it pass through the sound bar via the HDMI cord connected to sound bar. If your TV doesn't have that, there is a Tos Link which will do the same.

Pros

Better sound than your tv speakers
IR pass through so you can sit it in front of your TV and still control it with its own remote
Several preset movie sounds
Ability to use your TV's speakers instead
Auto off if not used in 30 minutes or no signal pass through it
Versatile in that you can stand it up two ways or wall mount it
Seems well built
Can connect to Bluetooth devices
Wireless Subwoofer
ARC (Audio Return Channel Capability)
For table mounting you can face the speakers straight or facing slightly upward if your TV stand is close to the ground.

Neutral

Only 3 HDMI. I have 5 sounces and needed to buy a 3 Port HDMI Pigtail Switch with 55 cm HDMI Cable

Cons

Seems a little pricey
Plastic subwoofer housing. I have an Onkyo Subwoofer that cost just over $100 with a wood housing
No real surround effect, more of a fuller sound
No way to custom set up the surround aspect of the sound like I had with the Mitsubishi (adjust volume and angle of virtual surround channels)
Could never get the sound bar remote to control my TV. It only does a couple TV functions and lists only a half dozen or so brands, 1 code each and it really isn't that important with the pass through ability.

5.0 out of 5 stars For what it is, it is the best bang for the buck, top tier low-range sound bar!, March 22, 2014
I am an average Joe, with a great ear for detail. While my experience with sound bars is limited to the JBL Cinema SB400 (MSRP $549) and the Sony HT-CT660 (MSRP $399), I will try to convince you why you couldn't find a better, all-around budget sound bar with all of the features you'd want and more.

Design: Much like coffee, an acquired taste.

The bar itself is a rather odd hexagonal shape, piano black with a metallic grill and a shiny plastic information center on the front. Sony did not find a need to be flashy in the design department, and didn't need to, as sound is what is important. The back has several recesses with which to hook up your inputs with 3 HDMI, an ARC HDMI Out, auxiliary and optical inputs. The subwoofer is nothing special, standard, plain, black and can be easily forgotten when you put it into the corner. The remote is reminiscent of the late 90s remotes, a hefty size which is good in this case because it accommodates buttons from everything to inputs, volume, Bluetooth pairing and even controls for the connected bluetooth device!

Sound: Good, but needs adjustment out of the box.

Unlike the JBL SB400, the Sony HT-CT660 has options to adjust the treble, bass, bass range and dialogue, giving you the ability to cater sound to your liking and best suit your environment. 8 presets are available and can be further adjusted within the menu. The Sony has more wattage than the JBL, but the JBL exceeds in sound quality to a noticeable degree. However, the Sony manages to produce a simulated surround environment better than the JBL. Also worth mentioning, the JBL is easier to hear and produces greater sound at lower volumes than the Sony. Still, the Sony is no slouch in audio quality, be it supplied by HDMI or the amazingly simple to pair bluetooth. Also, the Sony supports all audio profiles of Dolby, from simple Stereo to dts-HD Master Audio, something which the JBL doesn't support and would cause damage to the bar.

Accessibility: So simple, I could do it...I mean a caveman can do it!

This is where the Sony makes the JBL an embarrassment: accessibility. Unlike the JBL, the Sony is quick to pair the sub and bar. ARC is immediately recognized and a sinch to setup. Bluetooth can be synced via NFC, just a tap away, or easily paired by a button on the bar or the remote! You can setup HDMI pass-through or an IR Repeater, both of which the JBL, at its premium price, do not offer.

While I have described many features of the bar, there is still so much I haven't discussed, and can't because they are features I don't use. What I have used was good enough to convince me I made a better purchase with the Sony HT-CT660 over the JBL Cinema SB400. The JBL wasn't as accessible, and it suffered a lot of technical issues that you can read about in my review. Don't expect the best audio considering that it is a sound bar, and a 2.1 at that. However, for its features, its compatibility, its ease of use and price, if you are looking for a budget sound bar with good sound, HDMI and bluetooth, then look no further, you have found the perfect bar.

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPERB PRODUCT, BUT YOU'LL NEED A UNIVERSAL REMOTE!, October 29, 2013
C. Perry (New Jersey, United States) - See all my reviews
I can't speak highly enough about this Sony sound bar. I previously had a Panasonic 5.1 surround system in my living room, and it was wires everywhere along with little satellite speakers that, shall I say, kept my little ones entertained and kept me on edge! I was looking for a streamlined sound system with minimal wiring and speaker presence, and this Sony sound bar fits the bill perfectly. (I also considered the Pioneer SP-SB23W Andrew Jones Soundbar System, but reviews of that item suggested it has Bluetooth connectivity issues.) Upon opening the Sony box, I found the sound bar and separate subwoofer to be very substantial and aesthetically pleasing - at least to my eye. The system assembles easily out of the box, and I didn't even have to read the included instructions. I just installed two little included rubber feet onto the sound bar; set the sound bar in front of my TV; plugged in my FIOS DVR, Blu-ray player and Apple TV into the sound bar's 3 HDMI ports; plugged the sound bar into one of my TV's HDMI ports; and plugged the subwoofer into an AC outlet on the opposite side of the room hidden underneath a piece of furniture. I turned the system on, and the sound bar connected automatically to the subwoofer as indicated by a green light on the sub. The sound out of this thing is superb, is an improvement over my old Panasonic 5.1 surround system, and is a vast improvement over the TV speakers. Oh, and the Bluetooth audio feature works flawlessly: I can stream music from my iPhone and iPad with ease. The system is also a decidedly less conspicuous presence in my living room than my prior system. One word of advice: With this system comes yet another remote which you will need to use regularly now that all of your components are connected directly to the sound bar. For that reason, I recommend getting a universal remote to avoid having to constantly use the sound bar remote in addition to whatever other component's remote you may be using. In the universal remote department, I highly recommend the Logitech Harmony 700 remote (Logitech Harmony 700 Rechargeable Remote with Color Screen), which I've written a review of separately. That universal remote is extremely easy to set up and can easily control the various input switching that this sound bar requires to access your various components.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it gets for the money, January 5, 2014
First off, I have a dedicated home theater\music room and a 2 channel system in my living room. I'm not bragging but giving a baseline of experience. After reading through most of the reviews, a lot of people have unrealistic expectations of what a 2.1 soundbar can deliver. A 2.1 cannot deliver a 5.1 experience. It seems obvious but....
I wanted to upgrade the sound of my Panasonic plasma and spend as little as possible. Was waiting for the then new Pioneer SP-SB23W soundbar but it was delayed, initially cost ~$100 more and had issues with the initial production run soooo I took a chance on the Sony. Initially I was a bit unimpressed but I spent some time tweaking and have been very satisfied since. Unless you spend a lot more money and even if you do, it's hard to get the connection suite that comes on this system. It basically has them all including HDMI. In response to some of the previous reviews:
$300 for a complete 5.1 system with AVR? Really? I'd like to see that.
Any soundbar placed in front of a flat panel is going to block the IR receiver. Duh. At least Sony includes an IR repeater.
$300 is not a lot of money for a soundbar with the features of the CT660. Anyone doing even a superficial comparison will realize that very quickly. As far as the Pioneer SB23W, looks like it can be had at some places for $300. I recommend folks looking to spend in this range to do a comparison and read the reviews. And remember to be realistic in your expectations. Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Sound, July 12, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Sony hit a home run here with the HT-CT660. The sound bar is designed for 46 inch TV's, but obviously can be used with any size TV. The bar itself is not 46 inches (it's 40.5 inches), but fits in front of a 46 inch TV (measured diagonally) near perfect. The included sub-woofer packs a punch and being wireless, makes it so much neater looking on the floor without having a wire running to the sound bar.

I am currently using my sound bar with the PS3 connected via HDMI to a Samsung 55inch LED LCD. The real beauty of these things are when you are playing a game or watching a movie and you crank the volume UP. I feel like I am back in a movie theater when I watch movies in the dark. It does its best to mimic surround sound, but it doesn't quite get it. You can definitely tell the sound is coming from the front, but with all the bass and loudness, it doesn't even matter. There is no way your built in speakers can achieve what this sound bar outputs.

I also connected my Samsung Galaxy S2 via blue tooth and played some music. It paired instantly and never asked for a password. Very simple. You can listen to audio from the phone on the speakers, but it will not project phone conversations. There is no built in mic on the speaker. I can crank up the music while I do work around the house. I'm sure I could wake the neighbors up too if I tried.

If you have the sound bar placed in front of your TV and the IR is being blocked, you must manual set the IR Repeater on for it to pass through. Also, when I do not feel like using the sound bar with the PS3, I do not need to turn it on to get video and audio to the TV. The HDMI signal out goes straight to the TV.

It has a very sleek design and will compliment any TV and room. You'll have to spend a few minutes testing out different settings until you achieve what sounds best to you. I have my Bass at 2, Treble 3, Voice 6, and Sub-woofer at 2 and that works great for me. Too much bass and everything sounds muffled to me. You will have to play around with yours to get the best sound for your room.

This doesn't take the place of a real surround sound system, but if you are short on space and want an all in one solution, you cannot go wrong with this. I enjoy this sound bar and highly recommend it. You won't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Punchy sound and good-looking, July 24, 2013
Jonathan (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've wall-mounted the HT-CT660 below my 46" Orion LED TV in my gaming den, which is a relatively small 10' by 15' room used exclusively for video games. Note that the 46" in the title is a bit misleading - the bar will fit perfectly under a 46" TV, but since TVs are measured diagonally, the bar is actually in the 40-41" range.

One thing I immediately liked about this soundbar is the pass-through capability for three HDMI devices (i.e. you can plug three HDMI cables into the soundbar, and another HDMI cable connects to the TV, no receiver or middleman device needed). The actual placement of the ports is a little odd. HDMI 1 & 2 are in a recessed area on the back of the bar, but if you're mounting it on the wall the recess is not deep enough to accommodate an HDMI cable, making the purchase of a 90 degree adapter necessary (make sure you're getting the 90-degree one, and not the 270-degree one, which looks almost identical). HDMI comes out horizontally from another recessed area, but has enough room in the recess if you're mounting it.

The sub wireless connects to the bar. An unobtrusive LED on the front will be red or green to indicate its connection status.

The Bluetooth connectivity is a nice bonus if you're going to be using this in a living room or home theater. It works, but I personally use a Jabra SOLEMATE as my default Bluetooth speaker (which I recommend, as it packs almost the same sound quality in, and is portable to boot).

Now, as for the actual sound, it really depends on what you're expecting. You're not going to get surround sound out of this, but it is a definite step up from the stock TV speakers. I popped in Far Cry 3 to test the speakers out, and ambient noises, explosions and gunshots seem to benefit most from the new setup (mostly thanks to the sub, but the sound quality was about equivalent to the Yamaha receiver/Pioneer speaker setup I have in my 15' x 20' living room).

I noticed, though, that the bar does not perform well at the lower volumes. I tend to keep it around 20, but below the 15-17 range the sound just drops off a cliff. Out of consideration for my neighbors, I haven't cranked it all the way, but it seems that in this case, it really is the louder the better.

I'm not sure this would work for a huge room, but for mid-to-small rooms this is a good solution - you'll get most of the sound you would from a receiver+2.1 or receiver+3.1 setup with fewer wires and less setup. Just keep in mind that you're not getting true surround sound and will have to keep the bar at a moderate volume at minimum, and you'll do fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Like It! Great System, January 14, 2014
I first bought a sound bar last year. I went with a cheap LG model on sale at Walmart. I rarely used it because it didn't have what I was going after. A fuller sounding speaker to play WITH my TV or instead of my TV speakers. After many hours of research and reading reviews, I settled on the Sony HT-CT660. First, setup was easy and hassle free. We have a 60 inch Sharp mounted above our fireplace and it has a good mantle for the sound bar to sit. I connected it to my TV with the provided optic cable but may change to the HDMI instead to see if it gets even better sound. We have a large sofa sectional with a small void behind the corner piece and have hardwood flooring. I placed the wireless subwoofer in this area. WOW! I love this whole system. I've played my iPhone music using the Bluetooth and it sounds amazing and PLENTY loud for me. I spent some time playing with Bass, Treble, Subwoofer levels and settled on a good setup for me. It sounds great for movies and regular TV watching too. The placement of the subwoofer and the fact that it's speaker is on the bottom (combined with the wood floors too I guess) makes a great surround effect. Love this system and very glad I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good sound for the price., November 6, 2013
Let's face it, sound quality on TV's is just bad, even on the new big screen 3-D TV's. I just had to get a replacement and after reading the specs and reviews, I bought this Sony sound bar and I'm glad that I did.

I wanted great sound, Bluetooth, a subwoofer, various sound settings, and no extra speakers that take up space. This system provided all my requirements at a reasonable price.

The sound bar is far better than the build-in TV speakers even at low volume. I rarely crank up the volume except watching an action movie or listening to music through my tablet via Bluetooth. And with most sound systems, the higher the volume, the better the sound quality.

I have a 55 inch LG. I did have a slight problem when I placed the bar on the same stand of my TV and in the front bottom of the TV. I found the remote sensor was on the lower right of the TV about 4 inches from the side. I simply moved the sound bar over a couple of inches and now the TV remote works just fine.

For the price and my small living room, I'm happy with my choice.

Rate and Discover Movies