on March 10, 2013
I was checking out soundbars at a local retail store today and having read reviews on the toshiba, l g and samsung, I really couldn't make any decisions. I saw this particular sony model hooked up to a television and it sounded pretty impressive. Ofcourse, with all the noise at the store, it was kind of hard to make a final decision, so I wrote down the model number, came home did some research on Amazon and one other site. After reading so many positive reviews, I decided to give it a shot.
When I got home, I unpacked everything and getting connected was a snap! Since I already have a Sony bluray surround sound system connected to my dvr via an optical cable, I couldn't get decent sound with Netflix from my tv speakers. So, I bought a 6 feet optical digital cable (the one they provide in the box is short and flimsy) and made a connection between the soundbar and the tv. I started to watch the film "Drive" and let me tell you I was totally blown away by the sound! In the initial scene where the helicopters spot Ryan's car, it seemed like the copters were right over your head/ceiling. I am very impressed to say the least! I love my 5.1 surround sound which has wireless speakers, but this new toy is just amazing! It really puts the tv speakers to shame.
It also has an LED display which can help you to set your tone among other features, and it can be turned off as well so as not to be too distractive. The subwoofer has a nice feel to it and performs very well! It has a light on top that turns green when on and red when the soundbar is switched off.
The remote is pretty nice as well and I managed to make my Sony universal remote learn most of the commands except for mute. My remote (universal) can also operate Netflix without a hitch. So essentially, I have 1 remote for everything, it's just that simple!
I listened to more expensive soundbars but when it comes to looks and value for money, you simply cannot go wrong with this system! It totally rocks in all respects! By the way, the wireless sub is about 12 feet away from the tv right next to my chair! Get this and you won't be sorry! It definitely rivals many other expensive ones!
If you wish to disable the speakers on your tv, you should do the following:-The television can be disabled by switching the OUTPUT SELECT from FIXED to VARIABLE while the television is set to the coax input. This is true for Sharp tv's but it should be the same for other brands as well.
review image
on December 13, 2012
I researched several soundbars in preparation for upgrading my TV setup at home. I narrowed my search to LG and Sony for a soundbar. I heard the quality of the LG in a retail store and was very impressed and it was on sale for $249. But I'm looking at the Sony e640 55 inch TV, and I knew Sony means quality as well. Since I already had a Sony BluRay player, I thought I might as well keep it all Sony. This particular sound unit has plenty of power at 300 watts (85w for each of two peakers and 130w for subwoofer). I knew this one had Bluetooth but didn't think anything of it--so that wasn't a determining factor. The wireless sub is terrific--I had concerns that since I live very close to a powerful radio station, there would be interference with the wireless sub---not so. The sub is great once you adjust the factory settings on the bar unit---0 to 6. I like a lot of bass and trebble, so I adjust both kind of high around 5. There are six sound presets as well differentiating between Movies, Music, Gamee, etc... Now to the Bluetooth. As mentioned, I never really played with that technology, but, since this had bluetooth reception, I started to brainstorm. I had already hooked a 3.5mm plug with 20' cord from my laptop headphone jack, which has thousands of mp3's on it, to the 3.5mm input on the soundbar. That is great. But thinking about bluetooth I searched some internet retailers and found a bluetooth dongle (transmitter) with a 3.5 mm plug for unde $20. I recieved it and 'paired' it with the bluetooth on my soundbar by following the easy instructions on both the dongle and soundbar--took all of 2 minutes. Now, I have my laptop on the couch without any cords and the bluetooth transmitter plugged into the headphone 3.5 mm jack of the laptop and the soundbar sounds incredible!!! I can plug this dongle into my mp3 player as well and my soundbar will read it and play it. Now I LOVE BLUETOOTH!! I don't know if I'll hook my smart phone to it or not but the soundbar can be programmed with up to 6 or 7 units so whichever bluetooth device is transmitting, by using the soundbar remote switched to BT, the soundbar and subwoofer will pick it up. The sound of this Sony sounbar is very, very impressive. The sounbar hooks to the TV by optic cord, not HDMI, so make sure your TV has an optic output, which most all new TV's do. The unit even comes with an optic cord that is about 2 or 3 feet long, enough length if your soundbar is mounted below or above your TV. I am very impressed with this unit and would recommend to friends.
on November 24, 2012
After an hour on a Saturday after thanksgiving sale, and staring at the $199 price tag, I was skeptical. Here's what I discovered in the 1st of 30 minutes after finally deciding to make the purchase. Best I found in it's price range and that's because:

Pros:
- Flaw-less link up with my iPhone via the bluetooth.
- Can be used INDEPENDENT of the TV.. a definite plus to conserving power.
- The remote takes control over the source device, in this case iPhone, so I was able to use either to control volume, pause, etc.
- Easy setup with the TV. The provided optical cable helps a lot.
- Sound with TV is great and clear
- The bluetooth receivers are hidden within the sub and sound bar.
- Wall mountable or comes with feel to put in on your TV stand which wont't interfere with the remote.
- Wireless sub!!
- Fills my 1BR apartment (carpeted floors) with sound nicely
- Great w/ my XBOX playing Battlefield 3!
- You have the optical cable into your TV and use a separate stereo cable to run your MP3 player directly into the system (another plus if you just want to sound dock)

Cons:
- Still haven't tweaked the equalizer for music.. MOST soundbars in this price range don't do great on the music side, but that's only because the L/R/CTR channels are together and not independent of each other through separate speakers. (minor setback)
- Having some issues linking it in with my Samsung TV due to no HDMI inputs (a very minor setback for now)
- A little on the larger side, but can be easily made to look smaller once you wall mount. Might look awkward if you have one of those mega-slim sets.

Verdict: Get this system if your a person like me! I'm very excited with the versatility of this system and can't wait to tailor this more to my needs!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 16, 2012
I was in the market for a better sound system since my TV speakers weren't loud enough for me. I decided on a Sound Bar because I wasn't looking to spend a huge amount for a home theater system. Also, sq footage-wise, my living room is not that big. I ended up with this Sony HTCT260, since my TV is a Sony as well and I wanted to pair up the remotes. I chose this particular model because of the wireless Sub.

Overall The sound is great. Very clear and crisp dialogue. The sub thumps loud enough for me. I believe placement of the Sub is very important. I placed it near my couch. When watching a movie it feels like I am in a mini movie theater.

Now keep in mind, I am not an audiophile. Nor do I have extensive experience with speakers and audio systems. However, I am very happy with my purchase. So take this from a guy who is just a regular shopper looking for an enhancement over their regular run of the mill HDTV speakers. This sound bar gets the job done.
on February 6, 2013
1. I was amazed by the sound quality. Deep bass, crystal clear sound, true sony quality. The woofer is wireless and delivers excellent bass. The soundbar delivers excellent clarity sound. Its very very powerful, you wouldn't need 5 or 7 speakers, trust me.
2. Audio over bluetooth is superb, I couldn't believe that I was actually streaming music over bluetooth.
3. I will recommend to anyone who is looking for excellent sounding Sony quality home theater.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 4, 2013
Sony normally makes a fine product,but unless I got a Lemon this one is a dud. The overall look and finish is very nice, but the sound quality and functions are horrible. Just my two cents.
on April 7, 2013
A co-worker recommended this item to me. I bought it, went home and set it up. Very easy to mount, looks great under my 46" TV. The sound quality is great for a sound bar that only cost $299. In fact, the sound quality is great in general even in comparison to sound bars that cost up to $599. Very very much so recommended.
on April 6, 2013
I just recently got this sound bar and I was and still am thrilled with the power and quality this has watching TV/movies at home! It has amazing sound and allows you to select various settings. I never thought I could get a quality surround sound for this amount of money!! It sounds like I have a $10k surround system! It's a must BUY!
on October 28, 2012
Amazing sound, great price, easy to use. Also, the Bluetooth feature is awesome. I would absolutely recommend to a friend.
on August 6, 2013
Really a terrific product overall, but probably of most interest will be what I've found about the Sound Field settings. (Accessible on top of remote):

STEREO ► A good compromise, both the second brightest in treble, and second most subwoofer energy.
P AUDIO ► Great for anything that emphasizes very clear vocals. Very spacious in mid and treble.
STD & MOVIE ► Best surround sound in treble, MOVIE slightly more so. Both more bass than P AUDIO.
GAME & MUSIC ► Delivering best surround sound in bass, emphasizing subwoofer. MUSIC = max subwoofer. Comparing MUSIC to P AUDIO you'll really notice a rumble from the sub in MUSIC that in some cases is completely missing from P AUDIO.

When I have music with mostly bright vocals, I use P AUDIO. For bright vocals plus more bass, I use STEREO, although if there is going to be some serious rumbling too STD is best. If I want to hear something like thunder rumbling in the distance, MUSIC is far and away the best.

These settings depend somewhat on what your input source is, of course.

I found didn't like a lot of the sound I was getting until I figured out the sound field settings better as noted above. Essentially, they tend to apply the surround effect more to treble or to bass depending on setting, and some settings deliver significantly more oomph via the subwoofer.

Overall, the system needs a significant midrange boost around 1K via equalizer, and a drop at 125 before lifting the lower bass up. Using the the Amp menu > Tone doesn't do enough, and doesn't have enough granularity like an equalizer does. If I couldn't use an equalizer with this, I would probably drop 1.5 stars or so in my satisfaction rating. But it's awesome, especially for the price!

Note that some of the pro reviews (such as CNET) say that there is better sound in this price range, but go on to explain that that ONLY applies to really cranking the system very, very loud. At "normal" volumes the sound on this system is unbeatable in this price range. I move it for different uses (nicely portable), but listen to music on it while I work several hours each day.

I've included a screenshot of the EQ settings that I prefer for most things in the "customer images" section of the product page: http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B00945RAQY/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_dav
review image
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations