VINE VOICEon October 23, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Overall, I like this Sound Bar for two reasons: it improves the sound quality when I watch TV and it can be used as an external speaker for your iMac or other Bluetooth-enabled devices.

This is the second Sony sound bar that I have. As I am by no means an audiophile, my comparisons will only be a shallow discussion of sound quality. What I can say though is that the HTCT260 produces a noticeably much better sound quality than my Sharp Aquos TV alone. The wireless subwoofer is a good feature given my already cluttered audio/video area. The Bluetooth is a very good add-on and this allowed me to output audio from my iMac through the Sound Bar, which noticeably produces higher quality audio for, say, songs on iTunes.

The biggest issue I have is that the instructions were not that clear to me. In particular, the instructions say to connect the Sound Bar using either an optical cable (which was included in the box), coaxial cable, or analog cable to the TV. However, I have a cable box and, apparently, that's where the cable should be connected or, if you followed the instructions and connected it to the TV, no sound will come out. The optical port on my cable box was at the back of the box and actually was lit up red for some reason. Apart from this, I really had no issues connecting/installing the HTCT260 Sound Bar, even the Bluetooth pairing was really smooth.

As compared to my other Sound Bar, a Sony HTCT100, there seemed to be fewer devices that you can connect to this Sound Bar. Specifically, the HTCT100 allowed me to connect my cable box, Blu Ray player, and Roku using HDMI cables and the Sound Bar outputs the video using an HDMI cable to my TV. The HTCT260 allows one connection through the optical cable port, one connection through the Coaxial port, and one connection through some Analog port. I currently use the optical cable, so I can't connect other devices that do not have any of the other two ports.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 3, 2013
First to be clear, if you are looking for Theater Quality Sound from a sound bar system, don't waste your time. However, I must say that I have listened to multiple sound bar systems including Samsung and Vizio. This blows them away. The quality of sound is amazing. It is more than I expected from a sound bar. This was purchased to install in a customers home to improve their listening experience for primarily music. After setup, they are now more excited to watch movies and TV on this system. Set up is a breeze and the sub is clean sounding with high quality bass. It is slightly larger than comparable sound bars but the overall appearance is very sleek.

They only recommendation I have is that it does come with an optical audio cable to use and if that is how you intend to use it, buy a quality one on Amazon. I used the Amazon Basics Optical and the sound and connection was perfect. The included cable is the thinnest and cheapest cable you will find.

Besides that suggestion, buy this with confidence. You won't be disappointed!!
on January 27, 2014
Love the sound, ease of set up, and Bluetooth connectivity to my idevices. But the sound continually cuts out when watching tv. I've looked online and on Sony's website for answers and I see plenty of complaints like mine and no resolutions.

Worse still, the seller has an automated phone system that supposedly will call me back but never has. And for some reason they don't show up in my "leave feedback for seller" list on Amazon. Wish I could give them the one star feedback they deserve for being totally unreachable.
on January 3, 2013
Sounds better than:
Samsung 2.1 home theater wireless sub ($300)
Panasonic 2.1 wireless sub Sc-htb350 ($300)
Yamaha Model: YAS101BL ($250)
LG - 2.1-Channel Home Theater Sound bar System with Wireless Subwoofer ($300)

Sounds same as:
Samsung HW-E551 2.1 Channel 310-Watt Sound bar ($400)
Sony HTC-150 ($188)

I spent a decent amount of time researching & listening to different sound bars. I went to Best Buy & Costco to listen to a few different ones. Before purchasing a sound bar I wanted to make sure I could at least listen to a few different ones before making my choice. I almost went with the Samsung HW-E551 2.1 Channel 310-Watt Sound bar as the sound quality was really good & it allows you to make the sound bar into two separate speakers than can be placed vertically on each side of the tv. But I didn't really need that option as I was going to place it under my flat screen in the first place. Plus the big negative for me is when they it advertise it having a wireless speaker, they are referring to the sound bar speaker itself & NOT the sub woofer. Therefore if you are planning on putting the sub somewhere other than next to your tv you cannot. Really really stupid way of creating it that way as the sound bar is already going to be right next to the tv in the first place....plus $400 was hard to swallow.

So I read a lot of reviews on this one & it had the highest rating that I could find for all sound bars on Amazon. Unfortunately I couldn't find this exact model at Costco or Best Buy, but I was able to listen to the Sony HT-CT150 which is one step below. It sounded really really nice. It was also fairly inexpensive at around the $150-180 range at Costco. The only reason I didn't buy that one is it didn't have a wireless sub woofer or bluetooth capability which I was looking for. So I figured the sound quality being within 40 watts couldn't be that much worse & it I was correct. It sounds fantastic.

PRO's
-300W sounds great & has some good power to it compared to my 12w tv speakers
-movies/sports games are awesome
-speaking is more clear than my normal speakers
-Bluetooth technology (HUGE plus) I can easily connect my iPhone, Macbook Air, or iMac to it wirelessly & play it & control with those same devices. Nice to be able to use Pandora or iTunes through speaker system
-Wireless sub is so easy to move around & put anywhere I want in room
-easy installation
-Night Mode (really nice effect that cuts base down dramatically if not wanting to bother neighbors yet still maintain quality speaking)
-Optical Core included
- Works with TiVO Series 3 remote. Just use Code 1176 for BOTH the power and volume/mute controls.

1) On the TiVo remote, press both the "TV Power" button and the main "TiVo" button until the red light remains illuminated. Then enter code 1176. The existing code to power on/off your TV set will remain in the remote (assuming you had previously programmed one), and the new 1176 Sony code should overlay it such that the Soundbar will now ALSO power on/off when the TiVo remote's TV power button is pressed.

2) On the TiVo remote, press both the "Mute" button and the main "TiVo" button until the red light remains illuminated. Then enter code 1176 again. The new 1176 Sony code should now allow volume up/down and mute when the TiVo remote's corresponding buttons are pressed.

CONS
-No HDMI outlets (scared me at first but I actually prefer this as I only have 2 HDMI spots on my tv in the first place). I bought a $7 digital coaxial cord & use that instead
-Power cord is about 5ft long from the left side (I am plugging it on the right side so cord is a little short to me)
-middle rang ok (has great high's & low, but middle is above average)

Overall I bought this for the sound quality, Bluetooth technology, & wireless subwoofer. I paid $250 for it on sale through Amazon which is a reasonable price. $300 is a little steep for me, but this is probably worth it right around that range.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 15, 2013
I have a 65" Sharp LED TV, but relatively limited space. This was on sale and easy to set up and install. I actually could fit the unit behind my TV on the table-top and still have a great sound improvement experience. I can use just the sound bar for normal TV or sports. For movies and especially when using DVDs, I turn on the sub-woofer and it really kicks it up.
It's unfortunate that most TVs have real crap audio, which is even worse, when watching DVDs. The Sony HTCT260 solves this problem very nicely for me.
on April 12, 2013
The new LED HDTV we bought for Christmas has a great picture, but the sound - not so good. This Sony soundbar and subwoofer combo cured our woes - we've discovered how much audio we were missing. It's easy to set up, and I was able to program our TWC remote for basic functionality.

Of course you still need the soundbar's remote to get into the amp menu. My tip for using the soundbar menu - refer to the flowchart in the user manual, and use the remote control's arrow buttons to "move" along the flowchart paths - down/up to go from one item to another on the same level, right arrow to access sub-items in a given group - then left and up arrows to back out of the path.

One last note - the optical cable that comes with the soundbar is only 3 feet long, so you'll need to buy another if you need more length.
on April 11, 2013
I've had it for about a week and its awesome! Very loud at about volume-20 (max is 50). You have to try with everything: blue ray movies, sports, PS3, etc. to really here it. Use optical not coax audio cable to benefit Dolby Digital. I am very satisfied with it, the wireless sub is convenient and delivers a heavy bass, the sound bar sounds crisp and clear. Good job Sony!
on April 11, 2013
I had earlier bought the Samsung HW-E450 soundbar because it was less than $300. I ended up returning it as it was horrible and there was absolutely no bass. I am not joking even after putting the sub woofer level on maximum, there was just no base!

So, I decided to buy the Sony HTCT260 soundbar home theater system. This thing is just bad ass!!

Design: The sub woofer design is so beautiful and futuristic. Love it. The soundbar is hexagon shaped. Maybe seem little bit odd for some people. Works for me.

Performance: Simply awesome. Subwoofer is very powerful

Some cool features: Of the course, I bought it for the bluetooth audio streaming feature. But, the remote provided can also control your phone to play,pause or skip tracks!!

In a nutshell, you can't go wrong with it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 6, 2013
I recently added a Sharp 70" Aquos to the family room and wanted to add theatre sound without breaking the bank, again. I added a Sharp Aquos soundbar and bass and found it added too much bass. The bass couldn't easily be turned off. I then decided to drop the bass and bought a Vizio 40" soundbar which was ok for $99, but let me wishing for more. I returned both units. I just installed the SONY HTCT260 and found it to be EXACTLY what we were looking for. Great full sound & bass for movies, easily switchable to stereo for TV viewing. I find this very important since the bass is too overwhelming for everyday viewing. Our family room is 300 square feet...and this would easily have the capacity for twice the space - loud, clear & full! Connects with a single optical cable (supplied) to the TV. The bass simply plugs into the wall and works wirelessly - loved the troublefree install.
on January 10, 2013
I bought this system for my son's apartment at college because the TV speakers were awful to say the least. The living room is smallish so I decided to go with a soundbar / subwoofer system versus an audio receiver and separate speakers. I chose this Sony system because of the added benefits of a wireless subwoofer and bluetooth music connection.

It took us about 15 minutes from unpacking to full setup. It was foolproof and I was very impressed with the ease of the system. The only reason I'm giving it 4 stars instead of 5 is because they didn't include the hanging hardware for the soundbar. Luckily, I opened the box at home, read the directions, and found the appropriate screws and anchors on my workbench.

Now for the most important element - the sound. When we first hooked it up, we flipped through the TV channels and found Braveheart. It was one of the scenes where men on horses were running into battle. We could feel the horse steps pounding through the subwoofer, and the music coming clearly and powerfully through the soundbar. It was outstanding and perfect for the apartment. We then paired my son's computer and iPhone and had him play some songs from his iTunes library. Bluetooth connection was a piece of cake. The sound was pretty good - not nearly the level of my AR system at home but it was what I expected. One thing I noticed is the sound was better and richer when listening to the TV versus MP4 music. That is to be expected because the TV is hooked directly into the soundbar with an optical digital cable whereas bluetooth is passive connection. I would suspect the DVD/BluRay player would have similar sound as the TV.

Overall, it is worth the money and is appropriate for smaller areas. The bluetooth capability is huge, especially with 20 yr olds who tend to listen to music through their computers and smart phones. The range on the bluetooth is excellent. My son went out of direct site and into another room and the controls ran flawlessly. If you have to have full sound spectrum and clear delineation between upper range. midrange, and bass, this is not the answer. But it's not touting itself as being that answer either. If you are looking for a richer TV surround sound and boost to your music library sound, this is perfectly suitable.

Couple things to note: make sure your TV has an optical digital connection. It is the only connection this Sony system has, which is fine because all your other components will work through your TV to the soundbar / subwoofer. Also, the supplied optical cable is only 3 feet long so if you plan on hanging the soundbar or putting it anyplace other than right in front or behind your TV, you will need a longer cable. I anticipated this and ordered a 6 ft cable from Amazon when I ordered the sound system. It was only $6.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations