5.0 out of 5 stars I upgraded my HTCT100 and couldn't be happier - expansive sound, easy setup, and great price - Bluetooth a major bonus as well
Premium television sets used to advertise their screen size, image sharpness, and sound quality. Not any more. When you buy the latest LG, Sony, or any other LCD, LED, or Plasma display, the speakers are always on the back and very tinny with little bass response. In short, the television manufacturers do not expect you to actually use the speakers in the TV. Many...
Published on October 25, 2012 by Joel Avrunin

3.0 out of 5 stars An adequate Sony soundbar system, but without HDMI audio inputs...
The "Sony HTCT260 Sound Bar Home Theater System" is good quality system with a number of interesting features, including Bluetooth and a wireless sub woofer. The big drawback for this reviewer is that it has no HDMI inputs or pass through, and no multi source input switching. The Sony HTCT260 has only a single optical/digital audio input and no audio or video pass...
Published on November 12, 2012 by APC Reviews

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 437 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, but requires familiarity with sound settings and a separate equalizer, August 5, 2013
Dave (Minneapolis) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony HTCT260 Sound Bar Home Theater System (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Really a terrific product overall, but probably of most interest will be what I've found about the Sound Field settings. (Accessible on top of remote):

STEREO ► A good compromise, both the second brightest in treble, and second most subwoofer energy.
P AUDIO ► Great for anything that emphasizes very clear vocals. Very spacious in mid and treble.
STD & MOVIE ► Best surround sound in treble, MOVIE slightly more so. Both more bass than P AUDIO.
GAME & MUSIC ► Delivering best surround sound in bass, emphasizing subwoofer. MUSIC = max subwoofer. Comparing MUSIC to P AUDIO you'll really notice a rumble from the sub in MUSIC that in some cases is completely missing from P AUDIO.

When I have music with mostly bright vocals, I use P AUDIO. For bright vocals plus more bass, I use STEREO, although if there is going to be some serious rumbling too STD is best. If I want to hear something like thunder rumbling in the distance, MUSIC is far and away the best.

These settings depend somewhat on what your input source is, of course.

I found didn't like a lot of the sound I was getting until I figured out the sound field settings better as noted above. Essentially, they tend to apply the surround effect more to treble or to bass depending on setting, and some settings deliver significantly more oomph via the subwoofer.

Overall, the system needs a significant midrange boost around 1K via equalizer, and a drop at 125 before lifting the lower bass up. Using the the Amp menu > Tone doesn't do enough, and doesn't have enough granularity like an equalizer does. If I couldn't use an equalizer with this, I would probably drop 1.5 stars or so in my satisfaction rating. But it's awesome, especially for the price!

Note that some of the pro reviews (such as CNET) say that there is better sound in this price range, but go on to explain that that ONLY applies to really cranking the system very, very loud. At "normal" volumes the sound on this system is unbeatable in this price range. I move it for different uses (nicely portable), but listen to music on it while I work several hours each day.

I've included a screenshot of the EQ settings that I prefer for most things in the "customer images" section of the product page: http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B00945RAQY/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_dav

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Sound Bar, October 23, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Overall, I like this Sound Bar for two reasons: it improves the sound quality when I watch TV and it can be used as an external speaker for your iMac or other Bluetooth-enabled devices.

This is the second Sony sound bar that I have. As I am by no means an audiophile, my comparisons will only be a shallow discussion of sound quality. What I can say though is that the HTCT260 produces a noticeably much better sound quality than my Sharp Aquos TV alone. The wireless subwoofer is a good feature given my already cluttered audio/video area. The Bluetooth is a very good add-on and this allowed me to output audio from my iMac through the Sound Bar, which noticeably produces higher quality audio for, say, songs on iTunes.

The biggest issue I have is that the instructions were not that clear to me. In particular, the instructions say to connect the Sound Bar using either an optical cable (which was included in the box), coaxial cable, or analog cable to the TV. However, I have a cable box and, apparently, that's where the cable should be connected or, if you followed the instructions and connected it to the TV, no sound will come out. The optical port on my cable box was at the back of the box and actually was lit up red for some reason. Apart from this, I really had no issues connecting/installing the HTCT260 Sound Bar, even the Bluetooth pairing was really smooth.

As compared to my other Sound Bar, a Sony HTCT100, there seemed to be fewer devices that you can connect to this Sound Bar. Specifically, the HTCT100 allowed me to connect my cable box, Blu Ray player, and Roku using HDMI cables and the Sound Bar outputs the video using an HDMI cable to my TV. The HTCT260 allows one connection through the optical cable port, one connection through the Coaxial port, and one connection through some Analog port. I currently use the optical cable, so I can't connect other devices that do not have any of the other two ports.

5.0 out of 5 stars No need to look any further, May 2, 2013
First to be clear, if you are looking for Theater Quality Sound from a sound bar system, don't waste your time. However, I must say that I have listened to multiple sound bar systems including Samsung and Vizio. This blows them away. The quality of sound is amazing. It is more than I expected from a sound bar. This was purchased to install in a customers home to improve their listening experience for primarily music. After setup, they are now more excited to watch movies and TV on this system. Set up is a breeze and the sub is clean sounding with high quality bass. It is slightly larger than comparable sound bars but the overall appearance is very sleek.

They only recommendation I have is that it does come with an optical audio cable to use and if that is how you intend to use it, buy a quality one on Amazon. I used the Amazon Basics Optical and the sound and connection was perfect. The included cable is the thinnest and cheapest cable you will find.

Besides that suggestion, buy this with confidence. You won't be disappointed!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Sound cuts out on optical cable, January 26, 2014
Love the sound, ease of set up, and Bluetooth connectivity to my idevices. But the sound continually cuts out when watching tv. I've looked online and on Sony's website for answers and I see plenty of complaints like mine and no resolutions.

Worse still, the seller has an automated phone system that supposedly will call me back but never has. And for some reason they don't show up in my "leave feedback for seller" list on Amazon. Wish I could give them the one star feedback they deserve for being totally unreachable.

5.0 out of 5 stars a huge improvement over the TV sound, April 15, 2013
I have a 65" Sharp LED TV, but relatively limited space. This was on sale and easy to set up and install. I actually could fit the unit behind my TV on the table-top and still have a great sound improvement experience. I can use just the sound bar for normal TV or sports. For movies and especially when using DVDs, I turn on the sub-woofer and it really kicks it up.
It's unfortunate that most TVs have real crap audio, which is even worse, when watching DVDs. The Sony HTCT260 solves this problem very nicely for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, what a difference!, April 12, 2013
Patrice Sigmon (High Point, NC - USA) - See all my reviews
The new LED HDTV we bought for Christmas has a great picture, but the sound - not so good. This Sony soundbar and subwoofer combo cured our woes - we've discovered how much audio we were missing. It's easy to set up, and I was able to program our TWC remote for basic functionality.

Of course you still need the soundbar's remote to get into the amp menu. My tip for using the soundbar menu - refer to the flowchart in the user manual, and use the remote control's arrow buttons to "move" along the flowchart paths - down/up to go from one item to another on the same level, right arrow to access sub-items in a given group - then left and up arrows to back out of the path.

One last note - the optical cable that comes with the soundbar is only 3 feet long, so you'll need to buy another if you need more length.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great system!, April 11, 2013
I've had it for about a week and its awesome! Very loud at about volume-20 (max is 50). You have to try with everything: blue ray movies, sports, PS3, etc. to really here it. Use optical not coax audio cable to benefit Dolby Digital. I am very satisfied with it, the wireless sub is convenient and delivers a heavy bass, the sound bar sounds crisp and clear. Good job Sony!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Soundbar that money can buy!!!, April 10, 2013
I had earlier bought the Samsung HW-E450 soundbar because it was less than $300. I ended up returning it as it was horrible and there was absolutely no bass. I am not joking even after putting the sub woofer level on maximum, there was just no base!

So, I decided to buy the Sony HTCT260 soundbar home theater system. This thing is just bad ass!!

Design: The sub woofer design is so beautiful and futuristic. Love it. The soundbar is hexagon shaped. Maybe seem little bit odd for some people. Works for me.

Performance: Simply awesome. Subwoofer is very powerful

Some cool features: Of the course, I bought it for the bluetooth audio streaming feature. But, the remote provided can also control your phone to play,pause or skip tracks!!

In a nutshell, you can't go wrong with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value! Highly recommended...six stars, April 6, 2013
I recently added a Sharp 70" Aquos to the family room and wanted to add theatre sound without breaking the bank, again. I added a Sharp Aquos soundbar and bass and found it added too much bass. The bass couldn't easily be turned off. I then decided to drop the bass and bought a Vizio 40" soundbar which was ok for $99, but let me wishing for more. I returned both units. I just installed the SONY HTCT260 and found it to be EXACTLY what we were looking for. Great full sound & bass for movies, easily switchable to stereo for TV viewing. I find this very important since the bass is too overwhelming for everyday viewing. Our family room is 300 square feet...and this would easily have the capacity for twice the space - loud, clear & full! Connects with a single optical cable (supplied) to the TV. The bass simply plugs into the wall and works wirelessly - loved the troublefree install.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just What I Expected, January 10, 2013
I bought this system for my son's apartment at college because the TV speakers were awful to say the least. The living room is smallish so I decided to go with a soundbar / subwoofer system versus an audio receiver and separate speakers. I chose this Sony system because of the added benefits of a wireless subwoofer and bluetooth music connection.

It took us about 15 minutes from unpacking to full setup. It was foolproof and I was very impressed with the ease of the system. The only reason I'm giving it 4 stars instead of 5 is because they didn't include the hanging hardware for the soundbar. Luckily, I opened the box at home, read the directions, and found the appropriate screws and anchors on my workbench.

Now for the most important element - the sound. When we first hooked it up, we flipped through the TV channels and found Braveheart. It was one of the scenes where men on horses were running into battle. We could feel the horse steps pounding through the subwoofer, and the music coming clearly and powerfully through the soundbar. It was outstanding and perfect for the apartment. We then paired my son's computer and iPhone and had him play some songs from his iTunes library. Bluetooth connection was a piece of cake. The sound was pretty good - not nearly the level of my AR system at home but it was what I expected. One thing I noticed is the sound was better and richer when listening to the TV versus MP4 music. That is to be expected because the TV is hooked directly into the soundbar with an optical digital cable whereas bluetooth is passive connection. I would suspect the DVD/BluRay player would have similar sound as the TV.

Overall, it is worth the money and is appropriate for smaller areas. The bluetooth capability is huge, especially with 20 yr olds who tend to listen to music through their computers and smart phones. The range on the bluetooth is excellent. My son went out of direct site and into another room and the controls ran flawlessly. If you have to have full sound spectrum and clear delineation between upper range. midrange, and bass, this is not the answer. But it's not touting itself as being that answer either. If you are looking for a richer TV surround sound and boost to your music library sound, this is perfectly suitable.

Couple things to note: make sure your TV has an optical digital connection. It is the only connection this Sony system has, which is fine because all your other components will work through your TV to the soundbar / subwoofer. Also, the supplied optical cable is only 3 feet long so if you plan on hanging the soundbar or putting it anyplace other than right in front or behind your TV, you will need a longer cable. I anticipated this and ordered a 6 ft cable from Amazon when I ordered the sound system. It was only $6.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 437 | Next ›