4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound but some minor quibbles
I purchased the HT-SS380 at the store after realizing that the HT-SS370 had been discontinued. I assumed that since the systems shared a common look and nomenclature that they would have the same features (with the added 3-D functionality in the HT-SS380). I was wrong.

DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE HT-SS370 AND HT-SS380 SYSTEMS:
While the HT-SS380 does have...
Published on July 8, 2011 by D. Bjorgen

3.0 out of 5 stars HTSS38380
Published on June 15, 2011 by jerryn

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound but some minor quibbles, July 8, 2011
D. Bjorgen (Winston Salem, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony HTSS380 3D Home Theater System (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)

DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE HT-SS370 AND HT-SS380 SYSTEMS:
While the HT-SS380 does have 3-D capabilities, some other notable features are missing. The HT-SS370 had options for purchasing additional components in order to add wireless rear speaker capability. The HT-SS380 has no wireless expandability options. The HT-SS370 speakers came with wiring that featured proprietary connectors on one end for connecting to the receiver, but the speakers themselves featured standard wire clips, making them available to use with any other system that featured a standard clip design. The HT-SS380 speakers, on the other hand, still feature the proprietary clips on one end, but the other end is firmly connected to the speaker and is not able to be removed. Therefore in order to use the speakers with any other system, the wires would have to be cut and spliced to additional wire. The HT-SS380 does however contain a iPod/iPhone dock, whereas that component had to be purchased separately for the HT-SS370.

PROS:
The HT-SS380 has great sound for a minimal price. The speakers are plenty loud when it comes to filling a moderate-size room with crisp sound, and the passive sub-woofer puts out bass that you can feel. Sound quality is one of the most important aspects of the system for me, and so that's why I applied a 4-star rating instead of a 3-star rating. The system as a whole is very sleek and stylish. The included tuning microphone does a good job of setting up the speakers for optimal sound, although I ended up making tweaks and adjustments to suit my preferences. The system contains 4 HDMI connections and features BRAVIA-sync (cooperation between Sony devices such as a Sony TV or PS3).

CONS:
The LCD on the front of the receiver is small and there are elements that are practically unreadable unless you are mere inches from the screen. There are no composite connections on the receiver, so hooking up older, non-HDMI devices (like the Nintendo Wii) is difficult (you would have to purchase a Wii composite cable or a third-party Wii2HDMI connector). The tuning microphone should plug into the front of the system somewhere since once the system is tucked into a media cabinet, it becomes difficult to pull it out and re-attach the tuning microphone if you want to run the diagnostic again. And the aforementioned proprietary speaker wires aren't a deal breaker, but it would have been nice if Sony had allowed their speakers greater versatility.

3.0 out of 5 stars HTSS38380, June 15, 2011
Not bad for price. Beware speaker connectors are proprietary and the lengths included are not exactly generous, particularly for rear surround. good luck finding extensions from Sony - tried without success. i think it is 18 gauge but even Sony support could not confirm gauge but it is pretty darn thin and btw, the speakers are a bit on the cheap (1000 watts won't do you much good with cheap speakers) so you are mainly paying for the receiver.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Fan! Normally not a Sony buyer, but I think I've been converted!, April 27, 2011
M. McNutt "MNuttster" (Carol Stream, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Throughout the years I haven't been a huge fan of Sony products as they've always been overpriced in comparison to other companies that offer the same products with more features at a lower price...but after buying a refurb Sony 46" Bravia and this home theater system, I think my eyes have been opened!

Now sure the items are still a bit on the expensive side, but how amazingly well they "play nice" together is worth it (just like Apple products).

The sound is fantastic and the Bravia Sync is AMAZING as you just plug in the HDMI cables and it's completely set up with the TV recognizing that you'll be using the sound system for sound instead of the TV speakers with a lot more beyond that!

Even when it comes to my PS3 it rocks as both the TV & Sound system remotes work with the PS3's DVD/Blu Ray playing functions, so it eliminated the need for me to buy a seperate Harmony remote piece just to get it to work (I might even sell my Harmony remote all together the Sony remotes work so well).

All in all, if your looking for a good lower end priced home theater system with some great features, I'd think you would very pleased with the HT-SS380!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good system, speaker wire length a problem, August 26, 2012
Upon opening the box, I first noticed the system was sleek & attractive. At first glance, the speakers seemed on the small side, but I found that they pack a lot of sound in a small package. I have a reasonably sized living room... about (10' x 20') & these are plenty powerful. In fact, when I turned the volume up all the way it nearly shook the entire house (I live in a duplex), I keep the volume around 17 which is plenty loud, but the system goes all the way up to 50. The subwoofer is small but powerful, it's small size fits right in with my entertainment area. The features are pretty cool, there are about 12 settings for sports, concert, cinema, gaming, news etc.. The iPod dock is cool too. There are plenty of hook ups on the back to plug in multiple systems. So why the 3 star review? As the other reviews have mentioned, the problem is that the speakers that go in the back of the room have a limited amount of cable attached to them & therefore your speakers may not reach where you want. The wire is attached directly to the back of the speaker, there is no way to remove it without damaging the speaker and on the other end is a proprietary plug. This means the plug is manufactured by sony & is unique to sony (as opposed to being an hdmi, rca or optical cable which are wildly available almost anywhere). Sony does not make extension cables for their plugs, so the only way to extend the wire is to cut it & splice in more wire, which will void your warranty. I'm actually a bit shocked that Sony has no remedy for this as I'm sure a lot of people have run into this problem.

TL;DR

Pros: Attractive, small yet powerful, plenty of features + ability to hook a lot of systems into the receiver.

Cons: Limited length of speaker wire & inability to lengthen it without voiding the warranty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Sound!, February 17, 2012
I read a few of the reviews before I purchased this and laughed because the things people wrote about were ridiculous. I can tell you that they either don't know how to set up this system (or any for that matter) or just didn't set it up correctly.

I got it yesterday, hooked everything up, connected my PS3 and put in Independence Day. WOW! If I said it was theater-like quality sound would you believe me? Probably not but it's true. I was amazed at the sound and how clear and sharp it was. I just got rid of a Panasonic model with the tall speakers and I thought that one sounded great. But this one? I'm glad I got it. No regrets, no complaints and no issues. You can't please everybody is how the old saying goes but this customer is absolutely pleased!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage/False Advertising, December 5, 2012
Pros -
I got my package right on time with no issues in shipping.
Hooked it right up and had no issues, the simplicity of it was pretty nice.

Cons -
Where to start, besides just sounding terrible it's not what they advertise it is! It IS the HT-SS380 Home Theater System, but it does NOT have a wireless sub, and it is NOT 8- Ohms like it claims in the tech specs, the 1000 watts is at 3Ohms according to Sony, which means that if I want to replace the (absolutely terrible) center channel speaker with something even moderately decent I'm going to get a significant reduction in power.
And on that note... if you wanted to replace any speaker good luck, the speaker cables are not removable from the speaker themselves, and on the receiver side it's a proprietary plug, so you have to cut the wire and splice into the middle of the cable to add length. That wouldn't be so bad if you planned on only ever using these speakers, except the length of the satellite speaker wire wasn't even long enough to reach my back wall, and honestly any room I could feasibly see a surround system in. maybe they would have reached fine if I was ok with running the wire straight down the middle of my living room but who would be?

Other thoughts-
I spent a good 4 hours watching different movies trying to make the dialog sound decent and ended up giving up. In the EQ menu I had to turn the treble way up, and the bass way down, then turn the level on the sub up to even get something intelligible. Otherwise everyone sounded like batman. These are not the worst sounding speakers I have ever heard, but my god... they are close.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, April 6, 2012
I bought this being skeptical about the quality for such a low price compared to the Sony store but after using for a few weeks, I don't know how I lived without it! I definitely recommend this system for anybody on a budget.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with purchase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, February 25, 2012
I like this htib system. I like that the subwoofer is small.
It's powerful enough for my living room/dinning room area.
The sound is crisp and clear. I own 3 different sony systems.
Way to go sony.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best one I ever had, November 24, 2012
I am very much pleased with what I got, the HTSS380 was released atleast 3 years back in (2010). I have been using it for atleast 2 years, no trouble. The s-w is really great, but could be annoying for your neighbors. Every time I watch a movie late night, I only hear complains from my neighbors.

Please Ignore any negative comment on functionality. I would strongly recommend to get this. This works with S-air, you may lose a bit of audio quality, based on the position. Still a great product. I cant deny or take a star out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good purchase and quality for the price, July 22, 2011
Good purchase and quality for the price. Item took a while to reach me. I would liked the surround speakers at the back to have 5 more feet added to the cable. It seems 30 feet is not enough if you really want the cables to be hidden. But there is no option to extend them even with separate extension cable (at least I found it nowhere). Perhaps I have to add a few length by cutting at the end. Overall, its a good purchase.