5.0 out of 5 stars King of the soundbars
First of all, this is a *soundbar* not a full surround setup. Some other reviews take issue with the product but if you know what you want, and what you are buying, this could be a great option for you.

Published 10 months ago by Exploring the Amazon

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost awesome
After much research and going back and forth between this and other units, I finally decided that I would bite the bullet and drop the extra money on this sound bar. I love Sony products and I feel like they put out a quality on much of what they make.

Well ever since I got it hooked up I've been trying to talk myself in to liking it. First impressions were...
Published 3 months ago by Pete S.

5.0 out of 5 stars King of the soundbars, August 16, 2013
This review is from: Sony HTST7 HD Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer (Electronics)

I didn't want something complicated, my wife hates the million-button remotes and endless settings. This fixes that with a VERY simple remote with only absolute essentials (and a fairly simple set of options for tweaking under a slide-down panel). Remote is tiny and stylized, works quite well. She is very happy with the simplicity. The manual is tiny compared to what I'm used to for audio gear, but covers everything. Everything has been simplified to a handful of options. My old amp had a manual that looked like a phone book from a mid-sized city. It made trees cry. I was shocked how small this one was, frankly.

I also didn't want endless cords and speakers everywhere. It's a pretty big room but with the layout I just prefer a front-speaker plus a sub setup; and a soundbar fits that bill. If you really want true surround with rear speakers this is not the product for you. It does do a good job I think of 'simulating' some surround effects, as a few times I have already noticed that objects seem to 'fly by' me audio-wise and the effect was pretty cool. But you will not be convinced that there is a full-on surround setup. I think it is excellent at what it was designed to do, which is be a great soundbar.

If you leave the room the sound isn't as loud as regular speakers would be I think, which is good and bad. If for example you want music to be heard all over you house, full size speakers will fill the house better; but for us we will be able to enjoy it better in the evenings without disturbing the sleeping kids. For me this full sound in the TV room, but not as noticeable elsewhere, is a big plus.

I have played a few selections of music on it and it sounds great actually, fills a big room with powerful sound and the sub produces plenty of bass. If you are a purist you will miss the lack of true 'treble, mid, bass' adjustments, or a full equalizer. Not to be found here; it's kept very simple. If you want to hear voices better you can change the 'voice' setting (one of the main remote buttons). Has three levels and each increases the high-frequency sound output (effectively increasing treble). Under the slide-down you can adjust the subwoofer power from 1-12, default setting is 10. There is also a setting to set the tone of the sub (tighter bass, more dynamic, or somewhere in the middle). That's about it for tone. Sounds too simple but I think it gives enough adjustments for most folks to enjoy whatever it is they are listening to. Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity. If you want all the dials and knobs you will be disappointed, just know what you are buying! For us I think this is a good choice and really like it.

Movies/TV sounded great too. Tested out playing in the evening with a low volume and it was still quite clear. I upped the 'voice' setting and dialog was still clear, bass rumble still audible (motorcycles etc) but didn't wake anybody up. Very nice. Old setup we could never hear what they were saying without things being too loud for nighttime. Kids watched a movie and had plenty of oomph for sound effects and singing/music had a full sound and clear vocals. Everything so far sounds fantastic.

There are a few 'modes'; movie mode, music mode, stadium mode (football), and a standard if I recall. Not a million selections like even my old old setups had, but then I never really used more than a couple of them on my previous systems. Mostly I use standard or movie, this toggle is one of the main functions on the remote as well and is easy to access.

Visually the bar looks fantastic. The all-metal casing is sleek and stylish. Even the buttons on top and the removable grille are metal. Feels solid and high-quality. The sub is heavy and matches the look of the bar mostly. The sides are a standard black box but the top does have an angular and brushed look to it. Removing my old amp and speakers, the wires, all the cables and replacing with this... so nice. Clean and simple. Lots more room, and lots less tangle. Took half a mile of wires out of there. Looks very nice sitting there under the TV.

Wireless sub setup is just a matter of plugging the receivers in to the unit and sub (both are identical so doesn't matter which goes where). Pairing was automatic once receivers were installed. I'm running the sub about 20 feet away from the bar with no issues whatsoever. Setup of the bar itself has the option of using little 'feet' on the front-side ends to angle the bar upward. Initially I put them on and it looked good, but I felt for my setup (height of bar, seating height and distance to bar) it was sending the sound over me. Taking them back off was simple enough and I like it better now. Both the bar by itself and the optional feet have non-skid pads on them so it's not rubbing or sliding on your cabinet.

Be careful moving the sub, there are openings along the bottom that look like a good place to pick it up from, but don't! The passive radiator is inside there, and if you stick your hand in there and lift you are pushing against it. Could very well damage it. The main speaker is on the front. The bottom is solid and it should be lifted from there and the sides/top.

Bluetooth phone pairing works very well. Setting up NFC on my phone took just a minute and when you tap the phone against one of the angular 'facets' on the right-hand side it will automatically pair with the phone, turn on Bluetooth, and change to the right input. Not all phones will support this of course, check and see if your phone has NFC (near field communication) on it. I was able to stream music from my phone from about 30-40 feet away. The distance you can be from the bar will depend on you phone, if you have a case on it, walls in between etc. but it's very simple and easy to do. If I go any farther away than that with the phone I probably am doing something that I'd prefer headphones for anyway.

Finally, the money. It is expensive. Yup. But... you could spend a lot more on some alternatives... the speaker world is full of high-priced options. What I really wanted was to buy the 'king of the soundbars'; the best sound for TV, music, and movies I could get with minimum hassle and clutter. Not that price was NO option, I don't think I could bring myself to spend much more that this for ANY soundbar even if it did my dishes; at this price it's expensive but something I will use and enjoy for a long time, so it's worth it. High-end audio gear has never, ever been cheap. I could get a far cheaper soundbar, and some do sound *pretty* good. But for this room (and my personal taste) I wanted something more. Most soundbars are too small for what I really wanted, but a big surround setup is a clutter we didn't want and a complication my wife hates. I shopped for a booming soundbar, and I got one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, November 1, 2013
I have had this sound bar for 5 weeks now. I listened to most other sound bars and chose this one.
It's expensive but really worth the money.
Music is incredible.
Movies are also amazing to listen to. This bar really manages to place different sounds in different parts of the room.
Our sitting room is about 800 sq feet. This sound bar fills the room easily.

I have listened to other sound bars, Polk, Bose, Klipsch,and this one sounds much better.

Another neat feature is that with the movie option you have 3 voice levels. Level 3 makes the voices of people in the movie more pronounced.
I turn the bass down to 9. Maximum is 11.
Volume whilst watching movies is maximum 28~30 out of 45.
We watch movies 14 feet away from the Tv.

5.0 out of 5 stars The "Voice" setting almost makes this bar worth it alone, November 25, 2013
Read the longer reviews for more info, but being able to up the dialogue in a movie without turning up the explosions and car crashes is a huge plus. Great sound, simple set-up, easy to use, just a bit pricey, but worth it in my book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for what it does, August 20, 2013
I ended up purchasing this soundbar to upgrade the Sony CT 660 soundbar on my existing TV. I moved into a townhouse with hardwood floors and the wiring for my old 5.1 setup was going to be an issue. It was time for a soundbar. I settled on the 660 because it had hdmi inputs and had decent sound. It was pretty good for movies but mediocre for music. Plus the simulated surround was not the same as my 5.1 setup. Compromises. Last week I read about the ST7 and decided to check it out at a Sony Store. The difference in sound quality from the 660 is night and day. Not only did the movies sound better, so did the music. Music sounds very good with this soundbar. Plus the bluetooth range is amazing. On my 660 - BT audio dropped off after 10-15 feet. On this thing - I can go 40-60 feet away and it still play strong with no skips. The audio is great. Now - it is not as good as my high end 5.1 system - but for what you get - it is a very good tradeoff. The sound is very good for a soundbar. Clear audio on movies and great audio to play music. I have not previously found a soundbar that does both well and this one does. Also - the display is easy to read for the input. I cannot stress how bad the 660 was for its menu and this is great. Very easy to see the input across the room and it is dimmable. I cannot say enough about the remote. The 660 came with a cheap hard to use remote. This one is a thing of beauty. It is more like a B&O remote than a Sony. It looks cool, feels cool and is very responsive. It also has a nifty slider. Nice bonus. Plus - the soundbar is a thing of beauty. I left off the wire front and it looks great on my home entertainment center. It is of high quality construction and looks it. The subwoofer is wireless and works on a secure channel. This is a nice feature so that it does not seem to pick up interference from other wireless devices nearby.
I can't say that this is a cheap purchase. But for the products on the market - it does meet a need. If you want a soundbar that has very good quality for both tv and audio, it meets that need. It also looks very nice and looks high end. The wireless sub is a nice touch. If you want the best quality sound system out there - buy a 5.1 system and run wires. But as far as soundbars go - this is the current gold standard. At the Sony store - when this got cranked up to the highest volumes with minimal distortion - people stopped and came over to check it out. It surprised a lot of people including me when we heard it. My demo led to an immediate purchase and I am very happy with this.
Now - what to do with my 660....

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome sound, stream music from your BT devices in seconds, August 14, 2013
I was looking for a sound bar and it was a toss up between the Definitive Technology SoloCinema XTR Powered Sound bar and the Sony HT-ST7. I would choose the Sony over the other one anytime of the day. Not only it sounds better, it was cheaper by $700. Sony did a great job with this sound bar, and it looks awesome.

Wanted to add one more note, the bluetooth pairing on this sound bar is soooo simple... It took me less than 10 seconds to stream music from my iphone 5 to the sound bar... Unlike other sound bars you do not need any additional hardware to make this work... VERY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than Klipsch - love the remote design, November 23, 2013
I just bought a new 70 inch TV and thought that a $ 599 Klipsch would be adequate. We have a large great room and it just wasn't big enough sound and i was disapointed- plus it didn't have bluetooth and every time you wanted to adjust the base you had to get up and turn the knob on the subwoofer.

I took it back and exchanged for this sony - it was $750 more but in my opinion worth it. The sound is much better and i really like the ability to adjust subwoofer sound on the cool sliding remote - music sounds great, voice settings are also very helpful. The bluetooth for the iphone was very easy to set up. I tried the football setting and thought that was pretty lame - I think the movie and music settings sound best. I thought about the Bose soundbar, but the lack of bluetooth at that price seemed ridiculous

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely happy with new HT-ST7 from Sony, August 15, 2013
Hartfell (Los Angeles, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
I have been on the market for a high-end soundbar to replace my aging 5.1 home theater system for several weeks now and have tried out a variety at home as well as numerous more at the stores. I was about to pull the trigger on either the Definitive Technologies Solo Cinema or the B&W Panorama 2, both of which I have auditioned at Magnolia hi-fi. I am so pleased that Sony launched this new sound bar before I did so. The sound quality of this soundbar surpasses either of those more expensive offerings, in my opinion, and it is equally good for music as it is for movies which is exactly what I was looking for. I plugged my Apple TV into the HT-ST7 and I am now able to play my entire iTunes library via Airplay in lossless format from my Mac and the sound is truly amazing. Movies have never sounded better either. Yes, it's expensive but I was already willing to step up to well beyond this price point to get excellent sound quality without having to fill my living room with speakers and wires. Well done, Sony! It looks and feels awesome too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive!, September 11, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm very impressed with the Sony HTST7 sound bar. The sound quality is fantastic for a sound bar and I am very happy that it keeps my living room uncluttered.

Set-up was fairly easy. I use a video processing hub to connect all of my devices and it was a bit of a challenge to get the sound bar set up using the hub. My set-up isn't typical though, so for most people, set-up will be faster than it was for me.

The sound bar and wireless receiver were instantly connected. I just plugged the transceivers in to both the bar and the receiver and I was set. The only quirk I ran into during set-up was that I couldn't get the IR repeater to work. I am a little disappointed because this feature sounded great.

The build quality if the sound bar is fantastic. It feels solid and well crafted. It seems like Sony put a lot of effort into getting it to look beautiful. It's a lot better looking than any other sound bar I have seen. I chose to use the grill with my sound bar and it was easy to install. You can use it without the grill, but I chose to use the grill because I was worried about dust.

I had been wanting to upgrade my 5.1 system to 7.1, but couldn't figure out what I would do with the satellite speakers. I have an open-concept living room, so adding satellite speakers was problematic.

The sound quality is great. I feel immersed in games, movies, and music when using this sound bar. The bar has several pre-sets to enhance certain types of sound - such as music, movies, and sports. The pre-sets really do enhance the sound of these different types. Music really does sound much better using that mode for instance.

I also really appreciate the "voice" setting. I can actually hear dialog without it being drowned out by sound effects. This setting alone makes it superior to other sound bars I have used. I no longer miss dialog in games or even have to use the subtitles. Changing this setting is done with a couple of intuitive clicks.

This sound bar really is simple too. My phone (Nokia N9) was instantly able to connect to the sound bar. I just held the phone up to the bar for a few seconds and we were connected. Disconnecting the phone was easy too. I just changed the input of the sound bar and it disconnected.

While the sound bar sounds great, it doesn't match a true 7.1 surround experience. I don't find myself turning my head when someone opens a door on TV, like I do with a true surround system. For me, the trade-off of a clean look without speakers and wires everywhere is worth it to me.

Overall, I love this sound bar. It's simply gorgeous and performs amazingly for a sound bar.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow. impressive, August 16, 2013
w_s_t (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
I continue to be amazed with the sound out of this bar. So far, I am very satisfied with this purchase.

Pros:
* clear, powerful sound
* surround (I really do feel immersed in sound)
* easy to set up
* interoperability - turns on by itself with tv (Samsung), changes inputs automatically, turns off when TV turns off, TV volume controls sound bar. I have nothing in between TV and HTST7 except for single HDMI.
* compatibility - works with all the audio tracks (that I am aware of). I tried a BluRay with Dolby TrueHD just to try it with a lossless track.
* inputs - I like being able to let the HTST7 serve as a sort of "HDMI switch" (including ARC coming back from TV for SmartTV content).
* sound options - the Voice setting really does help you hear dialog without having to crank the overall volume and wake the kids. The MUSIC vs MOVIE settings helps tailor sound depending on the source.

I can't really think of any CONs, but a couple things that made me think twice:
* price - it is a bit expensive, but value for money is definitely there
* multi-room - again, not exactly a CON, because I knew what I was getting (that HTST7 does not offer multi-room). This was a consideration for me, as I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on Sonos for elegant multi-room and decent sound.

Random other notes
- One note on Chromecast - when I send content to chromecast from my android, the TV turns on as desired. However, the HTST7 does not. With other inputs/sources that I have tested, the HTST7 turns on with the TV, so I'm not sure what the deal is with chromecast. If anybody has thoughts, please share.
- A bit more on Sonos - I would have loved to join the leagues of Sonos fanboys, but for my primary requirements of streaming music and improving television audio in a single room, I went with Sony HTST7 over Sonos. Why?
1- Sonos is limited in terms of inputs and supported codecs. Sonos' (sound bar) only input is toslink, which cannot support lossless audio.
2- My music streaming service of choice is Google Play Music All Access, which is not compatible with Sonos. Plan B would have been bluetooth, but Sonos doesn't support that either. Plan C would be some wonky work-around which I was not interested in after spending $2,000 for a surround setup (sound bar, sub, 2 x Play 3).

In summary, I am more than pleased with this purchase. This is great compliment to primary TV in family room that isn't prewired for surround.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding quality, May 14, 2014
Roy Deatherage (Gulfport, MS United States) - See all my reviews
I fly for a living and don't hear voices as well any more. One reason I was attracted to this sound bar was because of the "voice" options. I really like the enhanced voice sound acuity with this sound bar. I am not a audiophile, so I was not interested in a complicated sound system. The simplicity of this sound bar is a strong selling point for me. Also, I do not own a receiver, and I did not want to purchase one, so a quality sound bar is good for my needs.

The bluetooth feature is great. Easy to set up, and when friends come over they quickly connect to the sound bar to play their tunes.

Sony HTST7 HD Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer