Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on October 27, 2009
first of all I didn't want to carry a bulky flash. This is so small and light that I can leave it on the camera all the time. The range is much better than my alpha 300's in built flash amd the piture quality is quite a bit better. Most importantly it has fixed the shadow I was getting from the stock flash with my Zeiss 1680 lens. I do wish the Alpha's flash had been placed a little higher and avoided the shodow problem. I like the fact that the flash can be folded and stored on the camera itself.

The flash uses AAA batteries and just remember to use lithium and not alkaline batteries with this flash. I found the hard way that Alkaline batteries will not last very long and that the flash loses brightness quickly resulting in dim pictures. However, with Energizer Lithum batteries the flash works great. It may also may be a good thing that it does not draw power from the main camera battery.

The construction is good and aesthetically it matches the alpha body quite nicely. This flash is about 2x as powerful as the in built one and does a much better job controlling red eye and creating a much nice lighting all round.
on January 26, 2010
Works well with my sony a850. Allows me to wirelessly control my other flashes. Aside from that, it is slim and idiot proof to use. Pull up to turn on, push down to turn off. Done.

Not recommended for cameras with a pop up flash.
on February 23, 2010
I bought this soon after purchasing my A330. I love this cute little flash! It's small, slim and lightweight, but still a very powerful flash. When not in use, it lays flat on top of the camera. It adds very little extra weight when shooting. It comes with its own carrying case, but easily fits in my small SLR bag.

I primarily use the Bounce Flash Mode, and can tell a huge difference between photos taken with the on-camera flash and this one. The on-camera flash is certainly bright enough, but leaves distracting shadows in your photos.

The only reason this isn't a 5-star review is the price - as great as it is, I still think this flash is priced a little high.
review image review image
on July 22, 2013
This is not the most sophisticated or powerful flash in the world, but it does the job for fill flash and other light duty. The bounce feature is especially helpful for minimizing red eye and shadows behind subjects. The unit is a nice complement to my new SONY NEX 7, preserving the camera's lightness, portability, and ease of use.
on December 12, 2011
This flash can actually wirelessly trigger strobes (HVL-58AM and HVL-43AM) located behind me. It's really good for umbrellas in my studio and really good for triggering a large spread of strobes. With the built-in flash on my A77, I could only trigger one flash, but with the HVL-20AM, I can trigger all off-frame strobes.

It's also a really good way to keep a flash with you in your bag for some quick lighting that can do some bounce (if the environment works--ceiling not too far off).

If you can get this for around $110, then great. The Sony strobes tend to be a little bit expensive. It's really simple.
on October 3, 2011
I am primarily an available light photographer. In the extremely rare occasions when I do use flash, the built-in, on camera flash unit suffices for all my auxiliary light needs. My Alpha 850 and Alpha 900 cameras do not have on body flash units. I purchased the HVLF20AM Digital Flash to compensate for this. I like its compact size, ease and simplicity of use, price/performance ratio and light output. I would definitely recommend this excellent little champion. I would definitely purchase another.
on June 22, 2013
I returned this flash because I was getting inconsistent light coverage. I shoot still images for stitching together panoramas, so I use a tripod and shoot a series of shots as I rotate the camera around a room. With this flash some images were fine while others right next to the good ones were too dark (and yes, I waited until the flash was fully charged between shots). This flash is better than the in-camera pop-up flash, but not good enough for the work I do. So I bit the bullet and spent $348 to buy the Sony HVL-F43AM flash, and WOW! Now THAT is a terrific flash. If you can afford it, that's the way to go. It is an amazing flash for my Sony NEX-6 camera. I use it with a Sony ADP-MAA adapter on the NEX-6 and am VERY happy with the F43.
on May 21, 2013
This flash is small like a pack of cigarettes but it is not necessarily light. You pick it up and you feel its weight, unlike a pack of cigarettes. It fits in any small slot of your purse or bag. It is very simple to use and it is better than the in camera flash which gives you shadows on the image if you shoot with the 18-200 lens for example. So basically, this flash is a very practical tool. Now, it is not great. After 3 1/2 feet, it does not illuminates well. It blocks itself easily because it needs time to reload. It works as a commander for a second flash, but it is as I said before, it is a commander that gets tired easily.
Given its portability, it is worth having in your bag.
on February 9, 2013
Very pleased that I purchased this unit it is high enough to reach over a long lens and not create lens shadow, and you can leave t on the camera and lay it flat so its put of the way for normal shooting.
on February 24, 2013
I had to buy this speedlight for my NEX-7 as the inbuilt flash was just not good enough with the 18-200mm mounted on the camera. This speedlight servers my purpose as it is light and fills in enough light although I would have liked to see more power. The drawback I noticed was that the batteries tend to drain off very fast for such a little speedlight.