5.0 out of 5 stars Maximum performance for the money
Published on November 12, 2011 by AC500Driver

3.0 out of 5 stars Compared to Sony HVR-HD1000U
Published on April 7, 2012 by Rachael Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Compared to Sony HVR-HD1000U, April 7, 2012
This review is from: Sony HXR-MC2000N Shoulder Mount AVCHD Camcorder (Electronics)
I bought 2 Sony HVR-HD1000U cameras which use miniDV tapes. These cameras work great and I have no complaints. I decided to purchase the Sony HXRMC2000U camera because I thought the main difference was that the Sony HXRMC2000U uses SDHC cards opposed to miniDV tapes. There are a lot of differences. The difference I don't understand is that with the HD1000U you can control the levels of your audio. You can see the levels on the screen. With the MC2000U you have absolutely no control except for 2 automatic settings. For me the MC2000U works very similar to my digital camera. It does have a clean, crisp picture for the most part and is quite good in low lighting. Seems that I have less manual control then I had with the HD1000U. The intelligent auto mode does produce good footage and you can focus specifically on faces and touch the screen on the person who is talking to focus more on them. Just wish I had more control.

I use these cameras to film TV reality shows, weddings, live concerts and special events. While neither has a XLR input that was easy to fix with the HD1000U as I simply bought and attached Beachtek XLR adapters. I tried using the Beachtek with the MC2000U and because I have no control on the audio levels the audio came out pretty bad.

You would think with the two cameras almost looking identical that they would have almost all identical features. I am disappointed to find out this is not the case. The MC2000U is basically a digital camera I could have spent $300 on and put in a larger, plastic shell. I bought the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47K at the same time and there isn't much difference between the two cameras when it comes to video. They basically have the same settings and features and produce the same quality.

I will not be purchasing another MC2000U. This camera is fine for people that want to film their vacation or family moments but I would not use it on a professional level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maximum performance for the money, November 12, 2011
The former DP on the Channel 70 productions team introduced me to this camera nearly a year ago. They needed a quality, but rugged camera with the fewest moving parts (no tape drive mechanism) and used SD rather than CF cards. Plus, the camera had to function well in low light. Lastly, it had to fit into a project's nano-budget. The HXR-MC2000U filled the bill on all counts. Since then, I've seen a number of crews using the '2000 with very good results. I'd recommend one accessory; a 5" monitor. The viewfinder seems to be too small for most shooters. If the 2.7 inch viewfinder works for you, then no problem, but the cameramen shooting sporting events told me they really did need a larger image to work with. Overall, this camera is a keeper for those on a tight budget needing maximum performance for minimum dollars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fan Freaking Tastic!, September 9, 2011
Great option for videographers on a budget, but has the looks (and the specs) that gives customers the impression they're getting a lot for their money. I've had other pro-sumer cameras in the past from Sony (A1U, NEX-VG10) but this one beats them all. Definitely worth the buy for those with a 2k or less budget! Of course if the funding is there, more manual options would be nice but then you're probably looking to move into a different price bracket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony HXR-MC2000U - Camcorder - 1080i - 4.2 MP 12 x Optical Zoom, December 7, 2012
I bought 2 of these units for my wedding work and also training and safety footage. I have read many feed backs on this camera,both pro's and con's. Well if you want the BEST camera in the world.. do not expect it from this particular unit. However if you want to step into HiDef with minimal cost this unit will work just fine. No it does not have all the bells and whistles that most high end cameras have. You have to ask yourself one question.."Do I really need all that stuff"? Well if you are looking to capture nice clean Hi Def images with very nice sound?, this unit will suffice. If you do not need to upload as ENG people do ? you will be fine. All the programs one can attain for editing will take your footage and make it something very nice. I have had relative success using these cameras. One reason I purchased these cameras is simply because my wife helps during the shoots. SHe will never be the camera guru or geek, SHe wanted something relatively simple to use yet get exceptional footage using pan/zoom/ and the like. This one she loves! We currently use the ATOMOS HDMI capture unit as well as the avchd on the camera itself. We capture simultaneously to both to ensure we get footage. It is a bit bulky as a camera yet its weight is very light. We generally shoot with these using tripods. We have a smaller unit for hand held operations. All in all.... I bought 2 and I am not sorry in the least.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony HXR-MC2000, August 25, 2012
This is such a wonderful camera. The slow motion is great. It has such a sharp and crisp video. I am very impressed. The stills are studio quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, November 28, 2012
I shot a lot of interviews, and events. This camera looks pro, and produces great HD video. I would get a better shotgun mic and you are good to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not bad camcorder, April 27, 2013
Has a very good picture but the sound quality is very low. I have not used it long enought to work out all the bugs. So for I have enjoy, if only could get the sound up.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good if you need a big cam to impress, December 26, 2013
I added one of these to my tools at work a few months ago, and, while I haven't used it extensively, I can offer some observations.

First, the primary reason for using this camera is that it looks really cool and professional. People loitering around seem to get out of my way faster when I'm using this cam. If I were free-lancing, this camera would be on my team just purely for that -- and client impression. The downside of that is that the thing is really huge -- bigger than you expect. It won't fit in my largest LowePro cases without first taking off the lens hood and microphone, and even then it barely fits diagonally and crammed in.

Second, the video is pretty good, although not as good as the HC-1 mini-DV cams I use along with this one. Video quality is comparable with my Panasonic and Canon "consumer-grade" cams. However, compared to mini-DV cams, this one is a huge time-management improvement to just pull the files off the SD card and edit that way instead of searching through, and capturing from, tapes. That tape stuff is dead, or should be.

Third, as a "left-eye" shooter, the viewfinder doesn't extend enough to make using my left eye on the viewfinder a comfortable option. Also, due to the light, plastic-based weight of this camcorder,the shoulder rest thing doesn't provide much additional stability, which was a surprise to me.

Fourth, the ability to manually control recording volume is limited to a two-selection switch. I can generally fix SOT volume in post, but it would be nice to have some more control on the audio input at source.

Fifth, I find the stabilization to work fairly well, except in a hand-held pan situation. I have not yet been able to get a decent hand-held pan with the stabilization on -- it does this weird adjustment thing at end of the pan that I can't seem to avoid. To be fair, maybe my technique needs work. I'll try it without stabilization soon, or maybe I should just take a tripod next time.

Summary, IMHO, is that this camera shoots decent video, offers the convenience of files on SD, and looks professional if you're trying to impress a client, but is basically a consumer-grade camera dressed up in pro-camera clothes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good pix from this shoulder-mount cam, but limitations, November 9, 2013
Stuart Sweetow "sweetow" (Oakland, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I have owned this camera for over a year and have used it in a variety of circumstances. For a single-chip cam, the picture quality is very good. It runs all day on a large accessory battery that I got for it. The slow motion is a fun feature. It looks like an expensive shoulder-mount camera, but I suspect much of what is inside is air. It is really a smaller camera in a larger case with a few extras.

The biggest downside is the lack of audio input control. There is a single, stereo mini-plug for the mike input. It does come with a mini-plug shotgun mike that works pretty well. However, even with a Beachtek XLR adapter with volume controls, you really don't have manual control. If the scene starts quiet, the initial fraction of a second of louder sound can become distorted.

The LCD is a little small, but you also have the eyepiece viewfinder. While the camera offers manual white balance and exposure, there are no zebra stripes to guide you. You can set the lens ring to control exposure or focus, but not both at once. It needs a lot of light for proper colors, focus and contrast. The cam has a low-light function, but I think it reduces the frame rate to 15 fps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not bad I like it, October 4, 2013
I like it I used it as a second camera. Filmed two weddings so far so good . Not bad in low light , For the money it is good

ARRAY(0xa5040e94)