5.0 out of 5 stars Maximum performance for the money

3.0 out of 5 stars Compared to Sony HVR-HD1000U
Published on April 7, 2012 by Rachael Smith

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Compared to Sony HVR-HD1000U, April 7, 2012
This review is from: Sony HXR-MC2000N Shoulder Mount AVCHD Camcorder (Electronics)
I bought 2 Sony HVR-HD1000U cameras which use miniDV tapes. These cameras work great and I have no complaints. I decided to purchase the Sony HXRMC2000U camera because I thought the main difference was that the Sony HXRMC2000U uses SDHC cards opposed to miniDV tapes. There are a lot of differences. The difference I don't understand is that with the HD1000U you can control the levels of your audio. You can see the levels on the screen. With the MC2000U you have absolutely no control except for 2 automatic settings. For me the MC2000U works very similar to my digital camera. It does have a clean, crisp picture for the most part and is quite good in low lighting. Seems that I have less manual control then I had with the HD1000U. The intelligent auto mode does produce good footage and you can focus specifically on faces and touch the screen on the person who is talking to focus more on them. Just wish I had more control.

I use these cameras to film TV reality shows, weddings, live concerts and special events. While neither has a XLR input that was easy to fix with the HD1000U as I simply bought and attached Beachtek XLR adapters. I tried using the Beachtek with the MC2000U and because I have no control on the audio levels the audio came out pretty bad.

You would think with the two cameras almost looking identical that they would have almost all identical features. I am disappointed to find out this is not the case. The MC2000U is basically a digital camera I could have spent $300 on and put in a larger, plastic shell. I bought the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47K at the same time and there isn't much difference between the two cameras when it comes to video. They basically have the same settings and features and produce the same quality.

I will not be purchasing another MC2000U. This camera is fine for people that want to film their vacation or family moments but I would not use it on a professional level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maximum performance for the money, November 12, 2011
The former DP on the Channel 70 productions team introduced me to this camera nearly a year ago. They needed a quality, but rugged camera with the fewest moving parts (no tape drive mechanism) and used SD rather than CF cards. Plus, the camera had to function well in low light. Lastly, it had to fit into a project's nano-budget. The HXR-MC2000U filled the bill on all counts. Since then, I've seen a number of crews using the '2000 with very good results. I'd recommend one accessory; a 5" monitor. The viewfinder seems to be too small for most shooters. If the 2.7 inch viewfinder works for you, then no problem, but the cameramen shooting sporting events told me they really did need a larger image to work with. Overall, this camera is a keeper for those on a tight budget needing maximum performance for minimum dollars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fan Freaking Tastic!, September 9, 2011
Great option for videographers on a budget, but has the looks (and the specs) that gives customers the impression they're getting a lot for their money. I've had other pro-sumer cameras in the past from Sony (A1U, NEX-VG10) but this one beats them all. Definitely worth the buy for those with a 2k or less budget! Of course if the funding is there, more manual options would be nice but then you're probably looking to move into a different price bracket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony HXR-MC2000U - Camcorder - 1080i - 4.2 MP 12 x Optical Zoom, December 7, 2012
I bought 2 of these units for my wedding work and also training and safety footage. I have read many feed backs on this camera,both pro's and con's. Well if you want the BEST camera in the world.. do not expect it from this particular unit. However if you want to step into HiDef with minimal cost this unit will work just fine. No it does not have all the bells and whistles that most high end cameras have. You have to ask yourself one question.."Do I really need all that stuff"? Well if you are looking to capture nice clean Hi Def images with very nice sound?, this unit will suffice. If you do not need to upload as ENG people do ? you will be fine. All the programs one can attain for editing will take your footage and make it something very nice. I have had relative success using these cameras. One reason I purchased these cameras is simply because my wife helps during the shoots. SHe will never be the camera guru or geek, SHe wanted something relatively simple to use yet get exceptional footage using pan/zoom/ and the like. This one she loves! We currently use the ATOMOS HDMI capture unit as well as the avchd on the camera itself. We capture simultaneously to both to ensure we get footage. It is a bit bulky as a camera yet its weight is very light. We generally shoot with these using tripods. We have a smaller unit for hand held operations. All in all.... I bought 2 and I am not sorry in the least.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony HXR-MC2000, August 25, 2012
This is such a wonderful camera. The slow motion is great. It has such a sharp and crisp video. I am very impressed. The stills are studio quality.

1.0 out of 5 stars I BROUGHT TWO OF THESE CAMCORDERS AND BOTH WERE "TWO" TERRIBLE FOR WORDS., November 17, 2013
THE AUTISTIC WEREWOLF "Wolf" (Baltimore County, Maryland USA) - See all my reviews
The picture quality is pretty darn good and if picture quality alone recommended a camcorder this would be a 5 star review. Infortunately this camera has insurmountable quality control issues that seriously hinder its usefulness. The most glaring issue is that the day, date and time stamp is impossible to turn off on this Sony HXR-MC2000N Shoulder Mount AVCHD Camcorder. the date, day & time stamp is fine if you are in law enforcement or the legal world. However if you are taking pictures at a family reunion, wedding or other civilian function you honestly don't need the Day, Date Time stamp. Last thing you want is your festive function looking like a police sting where the goon squad is expected to pop out of hiding at any moment. I know this inability to turn off the date, day & time stamp on the resulting video is a defect specific to the Sony HXR-MC2000N Shoulder Mount AVCHD Camcorder only because; I have another model sony camera with the exact same menu. On my other far cheaper $300 Sony camcorder using the exact same menu I can turn the date time stamp on and off with ease.

The truly sick thing is that, I felt ok this issue might affect maybe one camera so I returned the defective camera then waited a few months. I brought another Sony HXR-MC2000N Shoulder Mount AVCHD Camcorder thinking ok this one should be fine but, NOPE the second Sony HXR-MC2000N Shoulder Mount AVCHD Camcorder had the same issue. Thats right I was unable to turn off the Day Date Time stamp prevent it being imprinted on the playback recording. I talked to Sony technical support which was pretty good except for one ignorant profoundly rude low level technical support guy I encountered. After a half hour with Sony higher level tech support it was determined the Sony HXR-MC2000N Shoulder Mount AVCHD Camcorder was broken.

So here are the facts. My old cheaper $300 sony camera using the exact same menu system has no problems at all with date time stamp management. This new Sony HXR-MC2000N Shoulder Mount AVCHD Camcorder using the exact same issue has no end of woes managing the date time stamp, Also I brought TWO of these Sony HXR-MC2000N Shoulder Mount AVCHD Camcorder's and both suffered this same date, day time stamp malady. Thus it is only logical to conclude the Sony HXR-MC2000N Shoulder Mount AVCHD Camcorder is a bad buy.

Finally the Sony HXR-MC2000N Shoulder Mount AVCHD Camcorder housing is the cheapest kind of brittle plastic so never drop it. This camera looks a lot like the more expensive metal and hardened plastic equipment used by true professionals but pick this camera up, touch it and its cheap construction becomes vividly clear. Were it not for the date, day, time stamp issue I would have given this Sony HXR-MC2000N Shoulder Mount AVCHD Camcorder five stars. For its price the picture quality is great especially in low light. The minu SD memory card feature is first rate. This camera has great features packed into the cheapest body possible to engineer which is a great trade off for those who need a basic entry level professional camcorder.

The downfall of this camcorder is the day, date & time stamp appears on every piece of output video and you can't turn it off which makes an otherwise great entry camcorder junk. In my ratings scheme junk gets one star only because; I can't give less.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, November 28, 2012
I shot a lot of interviews, and events. This camera looks pro, and produces great HD video. I would get a better shotgun mic and you are good to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not bad camcorder, April 27, 2013
Has a very good picture but the sound quality is very low. I have not used it long enought to work out all the bugs. So for I have enjoy, if only could get the sound up.

2.0 out of 5 stars I would try to avoid this camera., June 9, 2014
Experience:
I've used lots of Panasonic cameras Af-100's, Gh1, ac-130, some of their handycams. I've used the nikon d3200 and d5100. And a few others I forgot the names of.

Out of the box:
I've bought 3 of these, one right out of the box 1 had dead pixels/ghosting of the icons on the display, something weird and it wouldn't use batteries. I sent it back got it replaced. But no matter what they all eventually after a few days get that problem, its not the worst thing its still usable. They do feel cheap like there is nothing in there which I believe its just a handycam with a shell and better outputs.

Video Quality:
I use these for church service every sunday their okay for putting the footage on dvd's. But I decided to use them on a wedding shoot. The lighting of the venue (with 1 being night time and 10 being noon sunlight) it was about a 6. The camera was noisy, looking at the footage Its embarrassing. It doesn't seem that the aperture is fixed when zooming. When I zoom it gets pretty dark and desaturated and noisy. When its fully wide it was okay but when zoomed its bad.

Overall Quality:
I feel like this is just a wallmart handycam dressed up in a lot of plastic with an extra $1,200 on top of that. Also I hate touch screen menus its a pain trying to adjust the settings. I would look for something else before settling with this camera

4.0 out of 5 stars Good pix from this shoulder-mount cam, but limitations, November 9, 2013
Stuart Sweetow "sweetow" (Oakland, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I have owned this camera for over a year and have used it in a variety of circumstances. For a single-chip cam, the picture quality is very good. It runs all day on a large accessory battery that I got for it. The slow motion is a fun feature. It looks like an expensive shoulder-mount camera, but I suspect much of what is inside is air. It is really a smaller camera in a larger case with a few extras.

The biggest downside is the lack of audio input control. There is a single, stereo mini-plug for the mike input. It does come with a mini-plug shotgun mike that works pretty well. However, even with a Beachtek XLR adapter with volume controls, you really don't have manual control. If the scene starts quiet, the initial fraction of a second of louder sound can become distorted.

The LCD is a little small, but you also have the eyepiece viewfinder. While the camera offers manual white balance and exposure, there are no zebra stripes to guide you. You can set the lens ring to control exposure or focus, but not both at once. It needs a lot of light for proper colors, focus and contrast. The cam has a low-light function, but I think it reduces the frame rate to 15 fps.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›