Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

on March 29, 2011
I went straight to 720 60p and have not shot in anything else since i bought it... Its just so clear and sharp... I'm so happy with the image quality (out of the box), i have not even felt the need to start tweaking, plus i think i'm now a AVCHD convert too, seems to handle fast motion really well.
The real kicker is its just so nice to pop the SDHC card out and be able to instantly view the footage on my laptop, without the whole tape download/cineform convert/render thing ....
on November 5, 2012
I am not a professional videographer but have been creating and editing training videos in digital since 1998 or so. The camera is surprising light for it's size, easy to operate and has a wonderful variety of configurations for audio. I recorded some samples using a 32GB SD card (very cheap!) using the highest FX 1080i setting. when you go straight to a TV via hdmi to view footage it is absolutely stunning. Even with no lighting except indoor flourescents i found the video sharp and bright. Editing was a snap using sony vegas 12. It handles AVCHD files extremely well (hello, sony) and gives a staggering number of ways to render your master video. I found that even when things are compressed considerably (9mbps for DVD quality) the regular DVD produced is still remarkably good (for DVD mind you) What I like is that I can take the highest resolution video and use it to create either blu-ray or standard dvds. I also purchased the sony uwpV1 wireless lavalier mic and though it is pricey (500-600 bucks) it is easily the best wireless mic i've ever used. Works easily with the camera with the receiver mounting to the camera shoe. You can also use two sources at once (audio) and alter the levels. The camera is just a joy to use and even if you're not very sophisticated you can pretty much point and shoot using the standard presets. I like the dual SD slots too. If you use both slots and two 32bg SD cards (you can get two for under 100 bucks) you could record at the highest possible resolution and bitrate for something like 7 hours or so and transfer couldn't be easier, just pop out the card and pop it into a usb card reader and boom! I'm very pleased with the purchase so far!
on February 12, 2014
I am a professional videographer, video editor, 3D animator, effects compositor, graphic and web designer, and voice artist with about 15+ years of experience. This is my first purchase of my own for shooting video and I was under a tight budget. Even though I did my due diligence and homework, I was still worried that this wouldn't work for me. Within three days of arrival I took it on a two day shoot and it performed like a CHAMP! Easy to use, very customizable. It has almost everything I've come to expect from some $80,000 cameras i've used, and in some cases it has MORE. I bought a 64GB SD card to shoot on and was REALLY SURPRISED to find that this camera can shoot very good quality video on that card for about 350 minutes or so - TOTALLY NOT KIDDING! Also, the battery that came with it would've powered the battery for about 6 hours, if I had needed that much. I actually had to kill the battery just so I could recharge it overnight for the next day's shoot - only because I was being cautious to not run out of battery life the next day, but it probably could've handled that day's shoot as well. Importing clips took a few minutes to figure out, but ultimately a very fast transfer of data to my monster computer.

I'm extremely happy with it and actually tried to think of anything negative to say about it and just couldn't. Sorry!
on April 14, 2015
I bought this to use in my company's video production department and it has delivered quality video time and again.

I bought this because of past reviews and the inclusion of XLR audio inputs. After several dozen uses, I have some pros and cons to share:

PROs
* Razor sharp video time and again. Bright, crisp images and great audio produced great results

* The focus ring turns with just the right amount of resistance and response.

* I like my iris to always be on manual and control the exposure myself. The NX5U allows me to do that.

* Specific to my needs, I'm able to mount this to a portable teleprompter and then mount the entire arrangement to a tripod. Great results!

CONs

* Although I know it's well built, it still feels plasticky and hollow. When I grab the handle, it gives a little and worries me. Lightly tapping on the side returns a feeling of thinness and lightweight construction.

* I like having the flip-out screen, but in this age of super cell phones, I think the screen should be far sharper and larger. What's there works fine, but I've used other cameras with sharper resolution screens and it would be nice to have this kind of screen on this camera too.

* Although I knew this when I bought it, I don't care for the rear-mounted, center-located eyepiece. It doesn't help with shoulder-mounted shooting and forces my hands into an awkward position when using the camera off the tripod.

Overall, the camera works well for it's intended purpose and I'm glad I bought it. In a year or so, this camera will become the backup/ 2nd camera in our department and we'll add something a bit more broadcast traditional in use. In the meantime, however, we'll do just fine with the Sony HXR-NX5U.
on December 5, 2010
This is easily one of the best HD Cameras on the Prosumer level of any kind. The quality of the image, thanks to the Zeiss lens is incredible. I shot on the run in New Zealand in the middle of winter, and was able to get great definition from everything from the foreground to the background. Leaves and grass are clearly separated and not like in most HD cameras all bunched up together. Stunning. Audio real good, but you need to buy an extra mic/mix as the one that comes with the camera does not work for filming, but it's good enough for quick stuff.

To export footage into computer is a breeze, but time consuming. I use Final Cut Pro 7 and it took no time to get the footage into bins directly.

F-stops/shutter/focusing is manual, which increases the quality of the picture shot. Zeiss lens is incredible. Low light is beyond believe and we pushed the grain as high as possible, and the range is quite big. Great for low light situation. We pushed it as far as a night shoot in a moving car with only the inside light on, and you could still get definition on the blacks. Granted in the end the image is way too grainy, but this is an example of how far you can push the camera.

You can use up two mics at the same time. Cards are regular SD cards for media.

Overall an INCREDIBLE camera for most indies and even a b-camera for bigger projects. It's light and portable. Only negative, if you can say that, is that you can't change the lens but then again for under $4,000 this is FAR SUPERIOR to the EX1 series (obviously not as good as the EX3).
66 comments|24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2014
I shoot a lot in low light situations, and found the picture a little softer than the Sony pro camera I had before. Very happy with the battery life and large storage of video this camcorder gives you.

If you are reading this in March 2014, you may be able to get a $400 rebate from Sony:

(Amazon won't permit links. so go to "pro dot sony dot com" and search around for the "rebates for all" info, good til 3/31/14.)
on August 24, 2014
Never had a problem with this camera. Love it. Had it since Dec 2011. I mainly use it for talking head interviews for my business. They come out BERY professional. Remember this is a fixed lens. This has pros and cons. If your looking for crazy shallow DOF stick with DSLR. For a fix lens camera this does an excellent job. Also people are really touting 3k and 4k video. Of course that is the future. But the current standard is HD and will still be for some time. ESPECIALLY considering so much of we is shot today goes up on the web. This is a great HD camera.
on November 19, 2013
Great camera, plays well with our other Sony cameras. One problem, our 2 other cameras have 4 inch screens and the NX5 is only 3 inch, other than that it's great.
on April 27, 2015
There's a learning curve on good Sony gear. Since Sony doesn't believe in legacy products, this is the best camera for me now. It will be outmoded soon, but that's by design.
on December 12, 2015
I find the NX5U a bit heavy for being a handheld format especially when you add on the Sony VCLHG0872K wide conversion lens kit.
I am very happy with this camera.