5.0 out of 5 stars It's a dream machine.
I think other viewers are exaggerating the viewing angle issue of this machine. The LCD was designed to face up a few degrees. So, it's easier to view the digits from above the horizontal level. So make sure your night stand is not higher than your bed before you buy this alarm clock.

I like the design, sound quality and build quality of this machine. After...
Published on January 24, 2010 by hometech

3.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Viewing Angle
Published on November 15, 2004 by Phil Kulak

3.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Viewing Angle, November 15, 2004
Phil Kulak (Eugene, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony ICF-C263 AM/FM Clock Radio with Digital Tuner (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Everything on the clock works exceptionaly, and the user interface is intuitive, making it difficult to misset the alarm and oversleep. However, the viewing angle on the LCD ends at about 20 degrees above horizontal making it completly worthless unless you put it on the floor or sleep standing up. It order to tell what time it is and not just see a complete wash of green I have to nearly get completly out of bed. Makes you long for the days when little pieces of plastic fell over revealing the next digit, and I wasn't even alive then! :D

1.0 out of 5 stars Form follows function, NOT!, October 28, 2005
A clock radio in my opinion should in this order 1) have an easy to use reliable alarm, 2) display the time visibly, and 3) have an easy to use radio function.

This clock radio fulfilled only item 3. The digital tuner was nifty and accurate, making it easy to tune in my favorite station in my rural location.

However, the clock was virtually impossible to view at night next to my side of the bed -- my husband had no hope of seeing the time (feature 2). The clock HAS NO BATTERY BACK-UP. Wait, isn't this a basic feature in most clock radios? Is it not the primary function of a clock radio to to awaken the user by playing an alarm (or the radio) at a pre-set time? With no battery back up (something my $8 Wal-Mart clock radio has) it fails to meet its primary function (feature 1). And did I mention I can easily read the time on my cheap-o Wal-Mart clock radio?

I ignored the reviews because I REALLY wanted a clock radio with a digital tuner, but this device (I hesitate to call it a clock-radio) is so non-functional I returned it immediately. My advice is to skip it and remember that basic design rule -- form follows function. And if you know any designers at Sony, please remind them of that rule.

1.0 out of 5 stars low visibility, August 9, 2005
Because I didn't quite believe other reviews about the inability to see the clock face at certain angles (I have a dresser next to my bed, instead of a traditional night table), I figured I'd try this clock-radio that seemed to have all the features I wanted. I have returned it, since it was impossible to see the time from my bed. Next time I'll know better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't read the display!, May 19, 2006
You have to stare at the display from a certain angle to read it; for example, you can't read the time when you're lying down in bed. The backlight is annoying too, why not illuminate the numbers instead of the blank space behind them? I just bought a new clock because I was sick of having to sit up in bed and let my eyes focus for 30 seconds just to read the time. This clock sucks.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Good If You Can't See The Time, January 6, 2005
The search for the perfect (even adequate) bedside alarm clark is harder than you might think. It seems that the manufacturers' emphasis on features has displaced any concern for basic functionality. But we like cool stuff too! Despite the mixed reviews on this product, we purchased it because it looks good, has many nice features, and appeared to be easy to set. We hoped that the negative comments regarding viewing angle were hypercritical, while acknowledging that they were very funny.

Unfotunately (indeed, almost sadly, given the amount of time we have now spent on this quest), the man from Eugene is right on. You cannot read the time while laying down in bed. I don't sleep standing up and I don't want to put the clock on the floor, so back it goes. My wife has threatened to go to her parents' attic to find one with the little pieces of plactic that fall over. I am considering this option.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a dream machine., January 24, 2010

I like the design, sound quality and build quality of this machine. After all it's a SONY.

5.0 out of 5 stars Design should win an award, December 27, 2004
This is the best alarm clock I have seen on the market. The instant that I spotted it, I was sold. Crappy alarm clocks are a pet peave of mine, and this one is great. Setting the time takes seconds. Setting the digital presets takes seconds. It looks fabulous and I can rest my beer or a cup of coffee on it (I don't recommend it) if I wanted to. No batteries? Not a problem because it takes only seconds to set- no holding down a button for two minutes while it cycles through. I am buying one for by brother right now. Oh- the brightness control (3 settings) is wonderful if you like your bedroom very dark (or very bright!)

Rate and Discover Movies