Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sony ICF-C318 Automatic Time Set Clock Radio with Dual Alarm (White) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on November 30, 2007
I bought two of these, (one for my husband and one for my teenage son), since they would automatically reset themselves after a power outage. They both immediately complained that the alarms were not loud enough, (both are VERY heavy sleepers). It does have a very light and polite beep with no volume control. However, the beeps gradually increase in frequency and after week of use, both of them are waking up easily to the sound and without the jarring blasts from our old alarms.
So, it may require getting accustomed to for heavy sleepers, but it's great for those of us who don't like to be blasted awake every day.
66 comments|347 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2007
When our old alarm went out I had to find a new alarm quickly. When I found the Sony ICF-C318, I was just happy to discover it had no external antennae to deal with. What a bonus to find that not only was it small and inexpensive, but had no funky extra wires. It has two alarms & the time and date are automatically set! All I did is plug it in. The date was automatically correct. And if there's a power surge or power outage, it has a battery back-up (battery is included and already installed) and it loses no time. We didn't believe that, of course, and had to play with it by unplugging it a few times to test it, but it worked great! We didn't even have to re-set the time zone. Also, I usually had to re-set the alarm for my husband, but no longer. I set the A alarm for me and the B alarm for him and we are done. What I also found wonderful about this alarm was that when you set the alarm time, you can go backward or forward. Our old alarm could only go forward and it took forever; setting this alarm is a breeze. Amazing, truly.
44 comments|363 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 31, 2007
Two alarm feature very easy to program. All functions work great. Battery backup and automatic time updates. I bought a more expensive Sony multi-alarm clock a few months ago and it works OK, but this clock is by far a better and less complicated unit.
0Comment|113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 18, 2007
I wanted a simple clock radio to replace my simple Sony clock radio, which unfortunately got "fried" during a lightning storm. This model seemed like the logical substitute, and it does exactly what I want it to, with no complications. Even though I don't live in the US, it gives me accurate time after power outages (its internal battery works great) and everything is easy to set, with time controls that go up or down -- meaning that if you miss the time when setting it, there's no need to do the whole 24-hour rotation again. Brightness can be controled so that this clock never wakes you up unless it is supposed to. I've had no problems with the alarm volume or any other aspect of this product. It is a great bargain, with a low price and great quality.
on July 28, 2007
This is a good clock radio for its size, and all the features are easy to use. If you are looking for quality sound, this is not the clock radio for you. The only problem we have with it is that the buttons to turn the alarms on are on the top of the radio and easily moved - so easy that our cats often turn on the alarms by walking across the top of the radio!
on September 16, 2007
Clock arrived when Amazon said which is typical. Very happy with Amazon shipping. For about $15 this is a great product. Easy to setup. When you turn it on it has the correct time already. Just change the time zone and you're ready. The display is easy to see in daylight or nighttime. There are two alarms and both are extremely easy to set up. Radio works great for its price and alarm is great also. My only complaint was the internal battery had to be replaced after 5 days and no power outages. The replacement battery at WalMart was about $2. Hope the new one lasts longer. I would highly recommend this clock radio.
on June 2, 2009
I recently bought this to replace one that always lost the time if there was a power outage. Even new backup batteries did not help.
Pros: Small, nice radio reception, time is already set, keeps time in case of power outage
Cons: You have to re-activate the alarm daily after turning it off in the morning. Not a good thing!
Setting the alarm with the button on the side requires two hands.

Overall not a bad alarm clock though (if you remember to activate the alarm again :) ).
22 comments|85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 9, 2010
While this alarm looks good, the other night, without me touching it one time, it just lost an entire hour. Exaactly one hour. We didn't lose power, and all other clocks in the house were at exactly 6:30AM. Mine suddenly displayed 5:30AM. One hour lost, to the minute. Oh, and when i reset it, i noticed it had also lost a month, not that i pay attention to that, but it was stuck on November instead of December. Luckily i sometimes wake up before my alarm does, but if an alarm for unknown reasons loses an hour, that's not a dependable or reliable alarm clock.
33 comments|41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 5, 2013
I wanted a white alarm clock with a well readable display and a radio built in. This has all of it.

I like the dimming function which makes it easy to read it during the day and not blinding bright during the night. It has three levels of intensity and that is enough for what I need. Originally I wanted an alarm clock with projection as well but that was only because the display of most alarms are too bright. Not with this one. I can leave it facing the bed so I can read the numbers without being woken up by it.

The radio reception is great and the sound is too. This is not intended to be listened to all day but I would say that if you want some music on the side while working, this is actually acceptable. This is not a stereo system - this is an alarm clock.

The alarms are independently programmed easily on either side of the radio - the alarm that is triggered with the button on the left top of the radio is programmed with the button on the left side of it and the right button on top with the button on the right side of it. Pretty simple. No pushing tiny buttons since the programming is done via two little turning knobs on each side.

It has a snooze function with different time settings - max. 90 minutes.

And it is not too big for a small nightstand (which was one of the reasons for purchase as well).

I like that it is white since my bedroom is held in light colors and a black radio (as it is standard) would just ruin the mood.

One unnecessary function is the date and year setting.... Not sure what I would need that for as I rarely use track of time but maybe someone here does :). Programming that is not very hard either as some here describe it to be. Just read the little instruction booklet and you are good to go!

Overall for me - this is a great product for a great price.
on December 14, 2008
After reading some of the reviews, I almost didn't buy this, BUT, it's perfect.
It has 3 levels of brightness, adjustable alarm volumes, and lots of other features not found in most alarm clocks and a nice small size.