4.0 out of 5 stars Easy, accurate, but politely quiet
Published on November 30, 2007 by K. West

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price
I recently bought this to replace one that always lost the time if there was a power outage. Even new backup batteries did not help.
Pros: Small, nice radio reception, time is already set, keeps time in case of power outage
Cons: You have to re-activate the alarm daily after turning it off in the morning. Not a good thing!
Setting the alarm with the button...
Published on June 2, 2009 by petlover

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy, accurate, but politely quiet, November 30, 2007
This review is from: Sony ICF-C318 Automatic Time Set Clock Radio with Dual Alarm (White) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I bought two of these, (one for my husband and one for my teenage son), since they would automatically reset themselves after a power outage. They both immediately complained that the alarms were not loud enough, (both are VERY heavy sleepers). It does have a very light and polite beep with no volume control. However, the beeps gradually increase in frequency and after week of use, both of them are waking up easily to the sound and without the jarring blasts from our old alarms.
So, it may require getting accustomed to for heavy sleepers, but it's great for those of us who don't like to be blasted awake every day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Alarm Clock we Ever Owned - Called a Dream Machine and it really is!, November 24, 2007
When our old alarm went out I had to find a new alarm quickly. When I found the Sony ICF-C318, I was just happy to discover it had no external antennae to deal with. What a bonus to find that not only was it small and inexpensive, but had no funky extra wires. It has two alarms & the time and date are automatically set! All I did is plug it in. The date was automatically correct. And if there's a power surge or power outage, it has a battery back-up (battery is included and already installed) and it loses no time. We didn't believe that, of course, and had to play with it by unplugging it a few times to test it, but it worked great! We didn't even have to re-set the time zone. Also, I usually had to re-set the alarm for my husband, but no longer. I set the A alarm for me and the B alarm for him and we are done. What I also found wonderful about this alarm was that when you set the alarm time, you can go backward or forward. Our old alarm could only go forward and it took forever; setting this alarm is a breeze. Amazing, truly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dual Alarm Function Worth It, August 31, 2007
Two alarm feature very easy to program. All functions work great. Battery backup and automatic time updates. I bought a more expensive Sony multi-alarm clock a few months ago and it works OK, but this clock is by far a better and less complicated unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good no-frills clock radio, November 18, 2007
ubat (Sao Paulo, Brazil) - See all my reviews
I wanted a simple clock radio to replace my simple Sony clock radio, which unfortunately got "fried" during a lightning storm. This model seemed like the logical substitute, and it does exactly what I want it to, with no complications. Even though I don't live in the US, it gives me accurate time after power outages (its internal battery works great) and everything is easy to set, with time controls that go up or down -- meaning that if you miss the time when setting it, there's no need to do the whole 24-hour rotation again. Brightness can be controled so that this clock never wakes you up unless it is supposed to. I've had no problems with the alarm volume or any other aspect of this product. It is a great bargain, with a low price and great quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for Its Size, July 28, 2007
Sue King Marschalk (Bristol, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This is a good clock radio for its size, and all the features are easy to use. If you are looking for quality sound, this is not the clock radio for you. The only problem we have with it is that the buttons to turn the alarms on are on the top of the radio and easily moved - so easy that our cats often turn on the alarms by walking across the top of the radio!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony ICF-C318, September 16, 2007
Clock arrived when Amazon said which is typical. Very happy with Amazon shipping. For about $15 this is a great product. Easy to setup. When you turn it on it has the correct time already. Just change the time zone and you're ready. The display is easy to see in daylight or nighttime. There are two alarms and both are extremely easy to set up. Radio works great for its price and alarm is great also. My only complaint was the internal battery had to be replaced after 5 days and no power outages. The replacement battery at WalMart was about $2. Hope the new one lasts longer. I would highly recommend this clock radio.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price, June 2, 2009
Setting the alarm with the button on the side requires two hands.

Overall not a bad alarm clock though (if you remember to activate the alarm again :) ).

1.0 out of 5 stars Even one failure is a failure...., December 9, 2010
While this alarm looks good, the other night, without me touching it one time, it just lost an entire hour. Exaactly one hour. We didn't lose power, and all other clocks in the house were at exactly 6:30AM. Mine suddenly displayed 5:30AM. One hour lost, to the minute. Oh, and when i reset it, i noticed it had also lost a month, not that i pay attention to that, but it was stuck on November instead of December. Luckily i sometimes wake up before my alarm does, but if an alarm for unknown reasons loses an hour, that's not a dependable or reliable alarm clock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, December 14, 2008
After reading some of the reviews, I almost didn't buy this, BUT, it's perfect.
It has 3 levels of brightness, adjustable alarm volumes, and lots of other features not found in most alarm clocks and a nice small size.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sony IFC -C318 Auto time ?????, December 12, 2009
The first clock I received came on each night at 4:59AM with beeps no matter the setting. Amazon immediately (next day)sent a replacement clock and a prepaid return mail tag for the defective unit(Quite easy to deal with them). The second unit did exactly the same thing. Amazon sent a second prepaid mailing tag and credited my account.
Besides the clock having some flaw, what bothers me is the "Auto Time Set" feature, the company advertises. I was under the impression "auto set" would set the time using the atomic clock bases in Boulder Colorado. Yes,it comes correctly preset from the factory, but if the time needs to be reset, you do so as you would any other clock; nothing "Auto" about it. The radio tuning is not digital and not easy to get precisely on a station; reminds me of the FM radios if 30 years ago. The display is OK; brightness settings are good. The dual alarm are fairly easy to use. The users manual is a bit complicated, but not really needed for most features. Not recommended until the flaw is fixed.