Let me start this review with some background of my photography experience. (Short story, I am an amateur, skip to “PROS” section)

Published 2 months ago by iburke

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent upgrade, but some disappointments for video
Initially Canon SLR user, in trying to find small DSLR alternatives experimented with several Panasonic, Olympus and Sony NEX series. Not sure my search ended with Sony A6000 yet though(This is my 3rd Sony E mount camera).

Main improvements are:

Considerable improvement in Auto-focus:
Generally fast focus in good light, and little slower but...
Published 1 month ago by nsr

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent camera that falls just barely short of perfection, May 1, 2014

I bought a Nikon D40 and had it for several years before selling it in college and I was short on cash. Ever since then I’ve been relegated to my various cell phone cameras. I always had intentions of buying back into the hobbyist camera space at some point, and with an upcoming trip to Europe this summer, there was no time like the present to make a purchase.

I had set a budget for myself that basically put my sights on the OM-D E-M10 and the Sony A6000, sans kit lens and spending the money (well worth it, we’ll get to that in a bit) to get a fast prime near the 50mm equivalent range.

I never got a hold of an E-M10, so I will not compare the two, but will say that the APS-C sensor size of the A6000 was a key point for me. Without stirring the micro four thirds vs. the world debate, for me, sensor size still means something. Reality is that for the hobbyist, honestly, I don’t think you can choose incorrectly.

The purchase was an A6000 (body only) with the well-reviewed SEL35F18 lens. I am forgoing the kit lens and intend to fill out my lens set (eventually) with the SEL1018 and another mid-range zoom. I cannot emphasize enough how great the SEL35F18 lens is. I am in love with it, and I think that it will really teach me to shoot correctly, rather than lean on the “zoom” crutch. If you have the extra cash, I would highly recommend this kit as a great starting point.

I am not a professional, I have not taken photography courses, so I will cover the camera from the perspective of a guy looking to take photography to the next level. Let’s dig on in…

PROS:
-The A6000 is small. Coming from a rather chunky D40, I was pleasantly surprised by this. With the relatively small lens, a 35mm prime, it feels very well weighted, if just a tad plastic-y. Large lenses could upset the balance of the camera, but you wouldn’t have a 70-200 mounted for walk around use, anyways.

-Controls…plenty of them. Spend some time while laying it bed to just mess with the settings and feel the camera out. DO NOT let your first experience with the camera be something special, such as a graduation or wedding. There’s a lot of options and flexibility here to make your photos shine, and keeping it in Auto or Superior Auto means you’re missing the point. That said, Sony does a good job of catering to the new photographer as well as those well versed in photography (and everyone in between). The controls allow you to grow and take more and more control as you learn (and less while you’re still figuring it out).

-Menus: They go hand in hand with the controls I mentioned above, there’s a lot to them, but the layout is simple. Take some time to understand them, and you’ll be A-OK.

-Viewfinder: You’re not going to mistake it for a traditional mirror box, but it gets the job done and it plenty functional. It’s not grainy or low quality by any means. Being my first OLED viewfinder, I have no comparison points but I’ve come away impressed so far. Though, the sensor that enables it is a bit too sensitive, can’t find a way to adjust that.

-Focusing: Lightning fast. Allegedly a huge improvement over older compact system cameras, and for that I am grateful. Haven’t done any serious continuous AF shooting quite yet, but its done what it hasn’t skipped a beat.

-Image quality: Given that I am an amateur, I am by no means a pixel peeper. So I think the IQ is fantastic. I think the JPG engine turns out somewhat dull images by default, but with a little tweaking, that can be easily fixed. We’re getting to the point where most any compact ILC can pump out decent images, and for me the A6000 certainly doesn’t disappoint.

CONS:
-I almost wish the grip was slightly bigger. I’ve got bigger hands, so things get tight after awhile. With a larger lens on the camera, I worry that the small grip won’t be sufficient to support the setup, forcing me to a 2-handed shot. The other benefit to the bigger grip would be an improvement in…

-BATTERY LIFE. Through my use so far, I’d say it’s around ~300-325 shots. That’s not a lot. When I unboxed the camera I was shocked at how small the battery is. A slightly larger grip to fit a bigger battery would be a wise decision. A fine line between keeping the setup compact and improving the shooting experience, but I think Sony has some room to tip toe further towards that line, especially when you move beyond the tiny kit lens.

-The Screen: To start, it’s a 16:9 screen and the sensor is 3:2. When reviewing images the on-screen image is pretty darn small. The screen itself is functional, bright, and effective; but the aspect ratio is a head scratcher. Also…

-NO TOUCHSCREEN: The camera has nearly 200 AF points, and to pick a spot focus you use the tiny D-pad to the right of the screen. It is, to say the least, not intuitive, and slows down the act of taking a shot.

-RAW+JPG Shooting: When shooting in JPG mode, you get the option to use some in-camera effects. Some are cheesy, others such as HDR can produce genuinely nice results. If you switch to RAW+JPG shooting, you lose the ability to use those effects for BOTH the RAW and the JPG image. Now, for the RAW image this makes sense, but it would be nice to be able to capture an unmolested raw file while still messing around with the in-camera effects/filters on the corresponding JPG file. From my understanding, competitors such as Olympus handle this much better.

The rest is all gravy. Nit picks here and there that are more quirks than true cons.

CONCLUSION:
This camera rocks. It’s not perfect, hence the 4/5 rating, but it’s probably the best camera money can buy at the current MSRP (body only). It’s got a good size to it, plenty of controls and easy to navigate menus that allow you to grow into the camera, a viewfinder that’s unassumingly tucked away into the body (rather than atop it), a great AF system, and excellent image quality. As for what could be improved, I’d like to see a bigger grip to accommodate larger lenses and a bigger battery to build upon the mediocre battery life. I think a touchscreen was a glaring omission that really slows down the shooting experience. And the fact that choosing JPG + RAW shooting mode disables most all in-camera effects, even for the JPG copy is a bummer. It’s basically Sony forcing you to either act like a professional, or act like a child, but you can’t mix work and pleasure. Competitors handle that aspect better.

If you go with the A6000, skip the kit lens and spend some time with a fast prime. If not the SEL35F18, then look at the cheaper Sigma Primes. The kit lens may not be bad, but shooting with a prime really makes you think about your style and understanding of composition.

Hope you found this a worthwhile review. Happy to answer any and all questions (Again, from an amateur perspective) in the comments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade to NEX-6, April 22, 2014
Having pre-ordered and purchased this as an upgrade to a NEX-6, here are some initial impressions:

First off, the biggest improvement by far is the autofocus. They're not kidding - it is fast. DSLR fast. Even in low light situations that would leave the leave the NEX hopelessly hunting for focus, it can lock on. Focus seems very accurate as well.

Other enhancements:

+ More ISO Choices: The NEX-6 ISO settings were in 1-stop increments - 100/200/400/800/etc. The A6000 offers 1/3-stop increments: 100/125/160/200/etc. I'm sure this will come in handy. In addition, it offers multi-frame NR as an additional option when selecting auto-ISO (though this option is not available when shooting in RAW/JPG mode)

+ Better menu system: It is now much easier to use, and resembles the menu system of the RX100. I was able to get the camera set to my liking in a fraction of the time that it would have taken with the NEX-6, even today after using it for over a year and nearly 10,000 shots.

+ Better low-light performance: Shooting back-to-back with the NEX-6, the A6000 yields much cleaner JPG output at a given ISO. I haven't yet had a chance to look at RAW.

+ Burst mode: WOW. Continuous Shooting drive mode now offers three modes: lo/mid/hi. Speed priority is no longer there, I presume because of the much faster image processor and autofocus renders it unnecessary. On "Lo" it feels about the same as the NEX. On "Hi" it is like a chain gun.

+ The viewfinder: Yes, I think it is an upgrade. I could not discern any lower resolution, but it definitely is faster on the refresh and better in low light.

+ Auto-ISO: As was pointed out by a helpful commenter, it IS now possible to change the default range limits that auto-ISO uses. This is a much-needed upgrade, and will make this function usable for me now.

Cons:

- As another reviewer pointed out, the (legacy lens) manual-focus assist zoom button has vanished. When using a legacy MF lens, they were a big help. However, the C2 button can be repurposed for that function via the menus, and although it doesn't work 100% as before, it does the job.

Overall, I'd give this camera six stars at this point if I could.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real review after a month of use, May 25, 2014
Yes I own it and the 55-210 lens.
This is a no frill review. I paid for this camera and was not comped it for review.
I am a professional portrait photographer, now retired and travelling.
I was looking for a larger sensor (crop) camera, way lighter than my full bodied Nikons that takes pictures nearly as well as a prosumer DSLR with kits lenses.
I believe I have found it in this Sony, with caveats.
Keep in mind...there is no perfect camera.
It is the photographer who makes the picture, the camera just captures that moment.
My uncle Louis and Michelangelo, using the same paints and brushes would have different results.
So don't blame the camera for bad shots.....lol.
To the review and the points....
What it is not:
-NOT a substitute for a Nikon or Canon prosumer DSLR with upgraded lenses. If you need to ask, then you will not see the differences.
What it is:
- Excellent build quality and ergonomics. Solid feel.
- Fast shutter. No perceptible lag between shutter release and shot as with a DSLR.
- A great general purpose camera that takes some incredible pictures (I have posted 3).
- A great lightweight substitute for 85% of what you would get with a DSLR with comparable kit lenses.
- The lenses are excellent for kit lenses. They take wonderful photos and the pancake 16-50 mm keeps the camera a great alternative for a bulky SLR or super zooms. After all, this is a big reason to make this purchase.
Those reporting soft edges. So what? Most lenses, including some very expensive primes have soft edges. I have yet had anyone over my years of photography say....ooh, your photos have soft edges. Nonsense. Most photos are cropped and soft edges are lost on the cutting table....
- High ISO graininess. Yes it is not great at 12,000 iso, but quite usable. Point is the camera takes fantastic night shots at 800 ISO and lower. Need 12,000 ISO for the .0005% of the pictures you would ever take at 12,000 ISO, then buy a 1.4 Leica lens for $1000. You will not need your 12,000.
- The camera is a FAST focuser and accurate shooter. Great for capturing multiple frames of breaching whales and soccer kicks.
You still need to manually set focus point for some action shots as you would with a DSLR.

In Between:
-Flash. Built in flash is weak, like on most cameras. The Sony dedicated FM20 flash works great as filler for outdoor shots and its flip up and down/ on off is actually a great feature. If you get a bigger, bulkier flash larger than the camera itself, you are taking away the reason why you got this small jewel. Caveat - Sony, the flash should swivel. Not all shots are horizontal!
-Supplied Strap. Get an aftermarket. You do not want to be a walking billboard for Sony or target for thieves.
-Battery. You will need a spare if you are shooting all day. Lots of electronics going on.
-You can leave a tripod quick connect on the base and still change battery and memory.

The BAD...and there is quibbling bad.
1) The instruction manual is rubbish. It took me 10 minutes to find the IR remote control setting. And so on. Tons of features, little explanations. So play with the camera. It has lots of great features.
2) Missed shots. Misreads from time to time. But so does any camera in automatic mode.
3) LCD - Totally useless in daylight. Hence the Electronic Viewfinder is needed. Low to the ground shots in bright sunlight requires belly crawls like with a DSLR. IT is not just Sony, most all LCD screens are useless in bright sun.
4) Lag between the electronic viewfinder and real time movement. Yes is exists as in any electric viewfinder camera and it can be annoying taking pictures of fast moving objects, like children who move faster than rocket ships. But again it is a mirror-less camera, not a SLR.
5) Video. Like all non single purpose video cameras,you will not get the silky smooth capture when walking and talking. But if you are standing still the video quality is typical Sony - excellent. Sound is so, so and wind is obvious.
6) Bokah - sometimes great, sometimes really bad. Depends on f stop and background. Again these are kit lenses, not $2000 pro pieces of glass!
7) Panorama. Works great AFTER you have have some practice. Watch out for exposure. Be sure iso is on automatic or manually set for extreme lighting conditions.
8) Sony still over processes pictures. What that means is when you enlarge the photo, you get a rate of pixelation edge jaggedness and picture smear/ rough edges quicker than on a Canon or Nikon crop sensor camera SLR of same MP size.

Summary - more great than 'not good'.
Value - excellent.
No I will not sell off my Nikon system for only this camera.
It is the camera I will grab for walking around all day with and getting high quality photos for viewing on an HD Computer Monitor or Large Screen TV.

Yes I would buy it again without hesitation and have already recommended it to friends.

I rate the A6000 as a great 'everyday' substitute for a bulky DSLR. It is NOT however a camera for semi/ pro work as Sony and some 'paid' reviewers say.
I will not put an adapter on it for my expensive lenses. Why you ask? If I did that, with the dramatic added weight, I would be better off with my bulkier, now only slightly heavier superior performing DSLR.
I rate the A6000 a 90% for what it is - a neat, crop sensor'd body, great build, lightweight, fast focusing, quick shuttered, quality shooter.
No more lead weight to carry around for everyday walk around use.

Comment for future products:
I would like to see short,compact zoom lenses that are small and hit F2.8 constant aperture.

I love this camera.
You will too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony A6000 - A backpacking camera, May 4, 2014
The usual background: I normally use a Canon 5D Mark III DSLR camera (5D) as a recreational camera - not professional, but I sure like to take good photos. I had upgraded from a Nikon D80 a few years ago and really appreciated the full sensor size and the much better low light on the Canon. I also have a Nikon Coolpix AW100 underwater camera when I need something rugged and really water proof.

But taking a 4 pound camera on backpack adventures was too much, so I have been looking for a light weight camera that could give me as close to the same capabilities as the Canon 5D - a high standard.

I have purchased and used a dozen or so of the point-and-shoot cameras. Canon Elf, Powershot, Nikon, Lumix, etc. They are not good enough for any of my serious photos - due to both the lack of viewfinder in bright scenes, the crappy controls for exposure/aperture/ISO shooting, and the compression artifacts on the captured scene. The Nikon Coolpix AW100 doesn't take great photos, but better than an iPhone. They just don't do raw. And you need real glass to take good pictures. I will continue to bring my waterproof Nikon camera with me for those really wet experiences, but I wanted something more than a point and shoot and less than a 4 pound professional camera.

I wanted a camera that gave me a viewfinder - outside the LCD screens of all cameras just doesn't work (additionally I need glasses to see up close and it was not easy taking outdoor shots and needing to put on my glasses to see the silly screen - or not see the screen in bright sunlight). I wanted light weight, RAW capture, full manual control in addition to shutter priority/aperture priority. I wanted one that could do decent video and focus during the shot while zooming.

I wanted one that I could recharge via USB (I bring solar power with me for iPad GPS use - I have power to spare).

I wasn't sure if interchangeable lenses was important. A good built in would have been OK. Flash? Well OK if it was there - most built in are marginal at best, but in the back country it might be the only thing I had.

So I settled on the Sony A6000. I went ahead and got two lenses - the starter lenses (16-50mm and a 55-210mm). I also got an extra Sony brand battery (more on this later).

Canon 5D: 3.75 pounds (70-300mm lens, one extra battery)
Sony A6000: 1.7 pounds (55-210mm lens, one extra battery) - but I will probably bring both lenses which brings it to 2.0 pounds and I will also have 16-50mm lens.

So a 2 pound saving in weight - an expensive 2 pounds, but you also get the flash, a wifi remote control to an iPad, real video, and with an app the ability to do time lapse capture. And it is smaller. Much smaller.

While I continue to think that the pictures from the 5D are better (especially in low light), the A6000 gives it a run for the money. The 5D can do spectacular video, but the 5D doesn't do autofocus while capturing and I can's see the back panel in daylight making the 5D almost useless for amateur event capturing. A6000 wins hands down for video for me - I focus on still images with an occasional video thrown in.

I was concerned about not having through the lens SLR viewing, but honestly I like the A6000 just as much. The on-screen viewing and information is all I need to know the framing, the expressions, if I have focus and how the exposure is going to turn out. The resultant pictures are always much better than what I see through the viewfinder. This is a big win for me. (I do wish there was an easy control to turn the big screen on/off - I want to conserve power so I use viewfinder only, but there are times I want to see the screen - the menu seems to be the only way to get there. Minor bitch. If Sony cares they could fix it in software.)

The A6000 has a reasonable number placement and number of on-camera controls. Menu keys and quick access seems OK - not perfect, but nothing is. I don't use it in auto mode - strictly A, S or M mode and they work just fine. I didn't buy it to be a point and shoot. Pictures have been stunning so far. I will know more after my extended hike, but so far I'm pleased. WAY better than any other point and shoot I have owned.

So there are some short term problems - I am an Apple Mac user so the software from Sony does not work on the latest operating system so I need to remove the SD card. So what -- it's what I do most of the time with all my cameras. Apple has not released the software to read A6000 raw images so I only use the fine compression JPEG. Actually better than I expected, I will go to raw when the Mac software is upgraded.

The A6000 does seem to really drain batteries. My 5D lasts a good week on a single charged battery and I don't think A6000 will make it through a full day - but again I will know more after my extended trip. I purchased some spare cheap batteries, but the A6000 rejected them with a menu screen saying they were incompatible. I paid three times more for the Sony official battery - it worked. I also got an external charger - a good purchase.

The A6000 has built in WiFi (no GPS) for communication to iPad/iPhones (and probably other devices). It's cool to control and see what the camera sees and move pictures to a better display. Of course you can also take pictures with the iPad. Could just be a toy, but I like it. It is not that easy to set it up - but OK. It's an ease of use thing...

I am not impressed with the placement of the SD card in the battery case. It is right against the door so my fat fingers have trouble grabbing the card. I fixed it by putting a tag on the card so I can pull/hold it. That fixed it. Just a design flaw with an easy fix.

I have noted that the sensor seems to attract dirt. I have needed to clear the sensor more than once. (I could see the dust footprint in images.) I don't know if the static properties of the sensor are not resistant to dust or the placement of the sensor or I'm just a dirty person. I have not had this problem with the 5D. I'm going to the dusty grand canyon next week and it will be a real test.

I'm pleased with the two lenses. I might get another prime lens, but I'm a bit worried about the dirt aspects. I am pleased the A6000 has interchangeable lenses. I do wish the A6000 was a bit more weather resistant, but I would trade light weight for the weather aspects. I would like to get rid of the back display - the viewfinder works just fine for me. I turn the back display off anyway to save batteries - and put it in airplane mode.

I have not tested the flash.

I really like the time lapse application that you can buy from the Sony App store. That looks like fun. I wish it could do 2fps capture, it seems to be minimum of 3 seconds per capture. It claims 1/second, but that didn't work for me. I probably have some setting wrong.

Sony uses strange language on their menu items. Probably all camera manufactures use non-standard language - so I will need to buy some book to explain what they mean. The users guide is useless IMHO. (i.e. DRO/Auto HDR -- Compensates automatically for brightness and contrast. - so what does THAT mean?)

All in all I'm very pleased with the A6000. I will continue to bring my 5D and my Nikon Coolpix AW100 underwater camera when I don't need to go super light weight, but the A6000 can capture great images.

If I learn more after a few hiking adventures I'll share that in the future.

========
Update: I took the A6000 on a 10 day Grand Canyon adventure - three days off the grid with no power-up. It's not a fair test since I had both the A6000 and a 5D. I primarily used the A6000 for video and time lapse capture. The 5D became my primary camera for still pictures - I really like that camera. [I will update this again after a 7 night off the grid hike in July with ONLY the A6000.]

Battery Life: What I learned is that the A6000 in time lapse mode is power hungry. It will record about 2 to 3 hours of time-lapse and the battery will be drained. Good news is a 10W solar panel brings it back to life in a short time - few hours. I never ran out of juice with this combo while taking MANY time-lapse sequences. Your battery mileage may vary, this is NOT the reason I got the A6000 - I got it for still photos in the back country. I will really test that on the next hike.

Dirt: I was pleased that with all the dust encountered I did not have a serious problem with sensor dust. After coming back I did a quick test and found a few dust areas, but within acceptable range. I will bring either a small can of air or a air duster with me to clean the sensor after a few lens changes. There is a sensor cleaning mode - hard to find in the menus - but I can't tell if that or the air duster is cleaning the sensor. I think it is a problem for Sony to address in the future.

Ruggedness: This is not a really rugged camera. The camera was mounted on a tripod and a wind gust slammed the camera into the ground - an area with small rocks. The lens hit first and was damaged beyond repair. Just a slight bending of the adjustment rings and it was history - no glass damage. The little motors that move the lens in/out just can't overcome the -now- oval (not round) rings. I now have a nice paper weight for home (PS I registered the camera with my homeowners policy after purchase and was given a full replacement - no deductible. Thank you State Farm.) The body was not hurt. Bottom line, these are more delicate lenses than you find on a good professional SLR. I suspect the same for water / moisture - not that rugged.

Viewfinder: The viewfinder is very acceptable. No where near as good as an SLR, but still acceptable. Framing and focus works great (my biggest concern) and the exposure information is better than an SLR (Sony calls it a zebra display). It is hard to see very dark regions of the scene and it does blow out the highlights - not like looking through glass. I would like image review to be on the screen and not in the viewfinder. It looks like I'm going to turn off image review in order to keep the viewfinder live between shots - I will miss this confirmation review - but turning off the viewfinder for 2 seconds after each shot means I might miss the next shot.

Manual Controls: Hey, it works! I can quickly get to all the needed settings - ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed, exposure, manual/shutter priority/aperture priority, etc. in a quick and simple way. Yes, it takes some use to learn where they are, but it works. This was one of my big concerns - I wanted a real camera that can take the difficult and challenging exposure shots. The A6000 meets my needs!

Image quality: This is the reason I got the camera. The sensor is not as good as the 5D by a long shot. At ISO6400 there is noticeable grain. Not unacceptable, but not the clean low light performance of a full frame camera (that costs 4X). I also notice color fringing - well the lenses are not prime. [Note to self - get a prime lens.] I'm shooting RAW again (Apple updated the software) so I'm pretty pleased with the image quality. I don't hesitate bringing the A6000 when I want to get good pictures - especially given the light weight/size of the camera.

Bottom line: I'm still pleased. It is head and shoulders above any other point-and-shoot I have used. It does what I want for exposure control. It's not as good as a full-frame sensor SLR, but fits a great spot in my image capture tool lineup.

Someone asked an interesting question "Is this a good starter camera?" I think the answer is yes, but only if you are planning to learn about photography and plan on spending significant time to grow into the camera and what it takes to capture complex images.

More to come after 7 days of backpacking end of July...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Upgrade from the NEX 5R series!, May 8, 2014
Y. Wang (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
I realize this is a replacement for the NEX 6/7 but I've never owned any of those so I cannot tell you the main differences between them. I have, however upgraded from my NEX 5R. I must say I am extremely satisfied with my purchase.

Pros:

Price. Compared to the NEX 6's release price of $750(body) and $900(with 16-50 kit lens), the a6000 is $650(body) and $800(with 16-50 kit lens). This is a full $100 cheaper and for a significant better camera with better features.

Better ISO options. The NEX 5 line had ISO settings that doubled, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, etc. The a6000 has a LOT more options, 100, 125, 160, 200, etc. This is incredibly useful. While the difference between 100 and 160 is very low, at the higher ranges where the old NEX cameras would jump from ISO 1600 to 3200, having a lot more ISO settings in between is extremely useful.

Auto-ISO. Auto ISO sets the ISO for you automatically depending on your exposure and the light scale. Even in manual mode. For example, set your exposure at 1/60 and the camera will pick out the right ISO for you automatically so that your light scale is always balanced. It almost defeats the purpose of manual shooting but with a plethora of ISO choices (see above), I can see how this would come out really handy in a pinch when you need the shot right away.

Multiframe ISO Noise Reduction. This is so far my favorite feature. Multiframe ISO Noise Reduction basically shoots off 3 shots in quick sequence and compiles them into one photo. Kinda like HDR. The results of this feature are night and day. Whereas my regular ISO 3200 shots look like a grainy rainbow colored hot mess, my Multi NR 3200 ISO shots look like my ISO 800 shots. That said, the feature does seem to do a lot of noise correction and smoothing of textures. Zoomed in, a lot of textures look flat and uniform when they shouldn't be. However it's still a significant upgrade than normal shooting.

FAST. Both in focus and continuous shooting. This camera locks on fast with phase and contrast detection. The NEX line were always slow with focus. Especially in low light circumstances. The difference now is noticeably better. Also this camera shoots continuously like machine guns fire bullets. I normally shoot on continuous mode (hold shutter down) so not to miss a shot and pick out the best one later. With this camera I need to be wary of how long I hold it down for because after a few seconds I have 20+ photos in my camera that are all essentially the same. I've tried and I can't shoot less than 3 shots with one push of the shutter. If you shoot moving objects you can almost make a flip-book or stop motion movie with this. Amazing speed.

Viewfinder. This is great. The viewfinder helps conserve battery life by making you less reliant on the LCD. There is an eye detector so when you raise your eye to the viewfinder the LCD screen shuts off. Also when you shoot with a viewfinder the camera is closer to your body and you get steadier shots.

Better menus. The menus for this camera are SO MUCH better than the previous NEX menus. I'm used to the old ones now, but even still I sometimes had difficulty finding one obscure setting that I needed in the sea of menus. The new setting is a lot more logical.

Battery life. The a6000 actually comes with a new updated battery. It's black and has different markings even though the size and port is the same as the previous. The specifications for the a6000 says that it's 420 shots whereas the old NEX 5R and 6 says 360. When looking at the battery, the new battery actually looks like it has less mah but is supposed to perform longer. I'm not sure how it works as I haven't gone through a whole charge/depletion cycle yet but so far I don't have any reason to doubt it.

Construction. Overall the camera seems well built and sturdy. The original NEX 5 was good. The 5R was slightly thinner but seemed to be made of a lighter material and felt more flimsy and plastic. This one feels very good and solid. The old cover for the USB and hdmi ports were rubber and annoying is now a plastic flip door.

Cons.

Wireless. The NEX 5R also had wireless capabilities with wireless upload onto your computer and turning the camera into a wireless router so your smartphone can connect to it and act as a remote/remote viewer. The previous NEX cameras were criticized for having slow wireless and generally being a pain to initiate. I don't see much has changed with the a6000. Everything works but it's still slow and a PITA to start up.

Battery life. Even though I mentioned that the battery life has improved somewhat, overall the battery life on all mirrorless cameras are still abysmal. The problem is, without a reflex mirror, whenever the camera is on, the sensor is on. The sensor not only takes the photos, it lets you "see" through the viewfinder or LCD. With regular SLRs, the reflex mirror angles the view into the purely optical viewfinder and only turns on the sensor during exposures. So a SLR will last you several days without charge with normal use, this wont last you the full day. I always keep a spare battery and an external charger around. If you buy this camera (or any other mirrorless camera), I suggest you do the same.

USB cable. I think this is pretty trivial but annoys me severely. The USB charging/transfer cable that was included with this camera is ridiculously short. I guess this is a cost-saving ploy by Sony but I honestly don't know how much money they save by shaving a few inches off a USB cable. The new cable is several inches shorter than my old NEX 5R and it cannot reach the floor between my power strip and my standard height night stand.

Overall this is a fantastic camera. I am very happy with my purchase. If you are hunting for a mirrorless camera, I'd say the two best out there are the Fuji X series or the Sony NEX/a3000/5000/6000/a7 line of cameras. The a6000 is simply the best in the entire Sony APSC mirrorless line.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Alpha 6000 is an amazing camera for a great price, May 7, 2014
I had the Sony NEX 5T before this camera so this review is comparing that camera to the a6000. I bought the a6000 to fix issues I had shooting the NEX 5T.
Main issue fixed with the a6000 vs 5T. Infra-red remote control works in all shooting modes as well as the apps. This is major for things like time lapse and astrophotography, nevermind doing multi-frame shots of landscapes for HDR, etc.
Another issue that is totally fixed is being able to use multi-frame noise reduction in normal shooting modes and/or apps. You can now, for instance, trigger multi-frame noise reduction WHEN in the Time Lapse app.
The menus are different than the NEX series, more professional styled like other DSLR's. I don't really like one version over the other, both are perfectly usable if you get used to them.
The a6000 destroys the 5T in autofocus, it is far far faster and more accurate. I love the range-finder OLED and use it almost all the time outside when I cannot see the LCD screen.

I would have preferred a touch screen, I have no idea why Sony doesn't have one on this model. Other niggles are preference based and can be worked around.

Other reviews do not like the setup for flexible spot selection focus. I found it perfectly usable, once you are in flexible spot focus mode, you just tap the center button (in the selection joystick) and that pops you back into moving the selection spot around. Fine with me.

Low light capabilities seem about the same as the NEX 5T with the exception of the extra megapixels. Also the multi-frame noise reduction ISO setting works REALLY well for decreasing noise in those high ISO shots. I found almost no noise at ISO 6400 1:1 zoomed in in multi-frame noise reduction mode.

The a6000 seems to have approx the same color calibration as the NEX series with a few more color modes available. You can for instance get closer to Nikon or Canon colors using the new selection modes than before.

For people that need an audio line-in, I read Sony has a hot-shoe compatible bluetooth audio input and that seems like a nice compromise.

All in all this camera is a huge upgrade to the NEX 5T with the small exception of no touch screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good "upgrade" from Nex 7, very capable camera, July 10, 2014
Bought an open box here on Amazon for a great deal, $150 off and you can't even tell it's not "new".

I was hesitant to buy this camera as I had the Nex 7, but I can honestly say the way it is set up, the new menus, and especially the mode dial, wow, what a different and improved shooting experience. I think if you're buying this level of camera, one is probably looking to delve more into the advanced settings of a camera, and previously with the Nex 7 (though not a bad camera by any means) I just got frustrated looking all over the menus for simple and frequently used options. I find the a6000 far easier to use, very capable and high quality as a video camera, and super high quality as a still camera. I am a wedding photographer, been shooting for 15 years now, so I am very used to full frame DSLR's and their capabilities. I can tell you this a6000 with a prime lens beats out a Canon L zoom very noticeably on a calibrated monitor. Of course you can throw a prime on the DSLR, but I'm just saying, for the money (and small size!) you can get extremely high quality photos for the cost of the cheapest L pro zoom lens (70-200 f4). Not bad.

Many people don't understand sensor size and obsess with megapixels that they'll affectively never use/need. If you are just looking for a nice upgrade from a cell phone or old snap shot for example, I think there are other very nice, and cheaper models to chose from. There are certainly more expensive. It seems camera and lens prices have nothing to do with what they used to be in the film days. I mean, I would love a new Zeiss prime, but for the cost of a 60" LED TV?
I believe this is a superb price point/value for what it is.

My entire body is always aching after hauling DSLRs around after a wedding, but I can, and did haul this camera around for an entire 4 day wedding weekend with my family and didn't even feel it. I'm not saying that a DSLR is obsolete, they are perfect for certain work, but for fun and even some pro work, this a6000 is perfect. I only have a couple Sigma and Sony primes, and the pancake zoom for social/fun stuff, but wow, what a great camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars A6000 vs NEX-6... This is a great camera! Just one flaw...., May 6, 2014
This is an amazing camera and has some great features. Some people may be wondering if it's worth buying this, or the discounted NEX-6. In short, it's worth the upgrade for the following reasons:

PROS/REASONS TO BUY OVER THE NEX-6:

1. It has a better OLED viewfinder (yes the NEX-6 had a higher resolution viewfinder, but the difference is not noticeable, and the colours are better in the new viewfinder... So overall it's better in the A6000)

2. It has a much better menu layout and quick access to change settings via the fn button. With one click, you can access options like white balance, af points, ISO, etc.... If nothing else, the menu update is worth the upgrade.

3. It's 24 megapixel sensor allows higher detailed images. Some might ask, but doesn't this increase the noise? The short answer: No. The noise control is better than the NEX-6.

4. The Bionz X processor is better and faster. It is just overall faster, and leads to quicker processing and faster overall performance, especially when it comes to the autofocus system.

5. The AF is fast! And I mean FAST!!!!!

CONS:

1. The A6000 has a serious flaw as did it's predecessor (the nex-6). I'm sure Sony knows about this problem, but didn't do anything to fix it. And that is the fact that it does not allow you to use the bracketing feature in conjunction with the self-timer. It's either one or the other. For example, if you set up you camera on a tripod, and want to take a 3 image bracketed sequence (say for an HDR image), then you cannot set the timer to fire off 3 consecutive shots in bracketing mode. Yes you can fire off 3 regular shots with the self-timer, but not 3 bracketed shots. You have to press the shutter button three times manually. This in turn can introduce camera shake. The bracketing function and self-timer are in the same menu, so it's either one or the other. Sony really needs to fix this about the camera and it's a serious flaw.....

2. The A6000 also does not have an in-built microphone input, nor does it have a headphone line out for monitoring audio. If this camera is meant to replace the NEX 7 and NEX 6, then it SHOULD have it! A serious blunder on Sony's part.

Overall, the Sony A6000 is a fantastic camera, and could have been perfect. It is worth buying over the NEX-6 without a doubt. Even if the NEX 6 drops to below $400 with the 16-50 lens, I would still recommend purchasing the A6000 over it. I'm a pro photographer, and I would highly recommend this camera for those who want something light to take travelling, but don't want to compromise on image quality. Sony really created something good, and nearly perfect.... I didn't mention all of the reasons for why I like this camera above, but only the most significant when comparing it to the NEX-6. But keep in mind, there are a multitude of features that will please most users.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended as an upgrade from NEX-6, April 25, 2014
Compared to the NEX-6, from which I just upgraded, the a6000 has (1) much faster, more accurate AF (works as advertised!); (2) menus that are much easier and faster to navigate; (3) more customizable buttons; (4) auto ISO in manual mode; (5) more resolution (allowing for more cropping); (6) more pleasant noise at high ISO due to the smaller pixels (at normal image sizes, noise looks like film grain); and (7) a more solid, tighter "feel."

There are other improvements, but these are the ones most important to me.

Highly recommended as an upgrade from NEX-6!

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent upgrade, but some disappointments for video, June 23, 2014

Main improvements are:

Considerable improvement in Auto-focus:
Generally fast focus in good light, and little slower but correct focus in low-light instead of dreaded dotted rectangle on previous NEX series.Face detection works in all modes, and greatly aids in auto-focus and acquires fast locks. But otherwise also, it is able to lock focus when previous NEX cameras failed to lock focus in low-light.( I am able to do A to B comparisons since I still have previous NEX and Alpha cameras with me.)

Tip: In low light if you are still seeing dreaded dotted rectangle, change "Focus Area" to center. This attains focus lock faster in low-light.

In general I do not think focus speed is faster than Panasonic or Olympus Mirror less cameras.

Photos Quality:
Definitely improvement over other Mirror less esp, in low-light. Having more pixels helps cropping and some sharpness improvement in resized photos.(Fuji may be exception).

Another observation, flash metering accuracy is improved. Though I prefer not to use flash, but sometimes it is necessary evil in low-light condition esp for not so stable subjects like Kids. Previous gen Sony NEX/Alpha and Panasonic cameras mostly over exposed washing out details when I needed flash(Some I could recover with RAW). Sony A6000 little better in that respect.

Controls:
I like having hardware controls instead of going thru deep menus for items we frequently need(Aperture, Shutter speed, White balance etc).
Also like having programmable custom buttons, Memory recall and ofcourse AEL button with different settings.
But one thing I thought Sony got it wrong is, control dial(PSAM) and thumbwheel. They should have switched Control Dial PSAM and thumbwheel so it is easy to control with single hand while holding the camera.

Despite low resolution, the View finder is helpful esp in mid day sun.

Wifi setup:

This is one of the bad and non-intuitive wireless setup I have encountered on portables. To upload photos wirelessly to my PC, mainly to test I started setting up wifi. Camera recognized Access point and prompted for password (WPA2). Even after several attempts also it did not connect, kept prompting password again. I later tried direct wifi setup with my iPad which worked fine and I liked fact I can use iPad touch-screen to select focus point(just like NEX-5T, panasonic GX1 with built-in touch screen).

Finally able to setup wifi via Play memories app, but it is so finicky that most of the time it fails first 1 or 2 attempts to go to home page. Basically it seems camera is putting wifi in power save mode, but it taking some time to wake up and acquire IP from router, meanwhile app is timing out. With Samsung Galaxy S3, it connects and disconnects immediately. It seems we need to adjust some developers settings as per forums. still need to investigate. I will update later. In the end it is unnecessarily frustrating experience.

Now, Video:

I shot quite few clips before heading into my daughters dance performance on stage. I do like the video quality esp in limited light compared to previous NEX and Canon HD camcorder I have. Mostly shot with 55-210MM, 18-55MM Sony kit lens, and few clips with Sigma 30MM 2.8 lens. I really like the quality with 55-210 and focus speed with this lens.

But I did observe some moire pattern in some videos, which I have not seen on camcorder footage. May be I need a moire filter.
Main issue is shutdown of video recording during the performances.

I was shooting video of stage dance performance with 55-210MM on tripod actively panning and zooming. Camera kept focus on moving subjects quite well on large stage with many dancers. This is good thing(of course the small aperture of this zoom helps too). I set the quality to 60P 28mbps (highest possible).

First two performances each 10 min length with 3 minutes gap worked fine. After 3 minutes gap, I started shooting 3rd performance which is more critical to me. After 2minutes of 3rd performance it shutdown with overheat warning. This is in a conditioned auditorium with temp is about 70F. Camera is hardly warm. Instead of giving a temp warning before shutdown, it simply shutdown. They should have given a warning before shutdown threshold temp so that user can plan for alternative quickly. Only after 3 minutes gap I was able to resume video. But precious movement were lost before I pull out my other camera and set it up.

I was hoping Sony learned lessons with NEX 7 and I thought they would address those problem in A6000. But it is not the case. So if video is of any importance, please forget this camera. In real world outside warm weather I doubt if you can record more than 10 mins with this camera. Small cameras like RX100 II is able to record non-stop, how come larger camera is having problems with overheating?

On my part, I made sure I have the fastest freshly formatted Sony SD card with 40MB/sec rating. So it is not the SD card in anyways.

So, please do not expect to use this camera for more than 10 mins of video even with breaks in between.

I will update my review as I find new things, good or bad, and change rating as I discover more about this specific model.

6/25/14:
Did further testing of video time. See comments section. Also I observed battery life closely. As some other reviewer indicated, battery drain approx 1% for every minute(which is quite fast/big drain) when browsing thru menus etc. On idle with LCD active, but ops it seems about 1% for every 2 mins. Video recording is also about 1% for 1 min video. Overall battery consumption is much higher than NEX-3N/A3000 series.

Update 6/23/14: Spoke to Sony customer care, got usual canned response saying it is not intended to take long videos etc etc. Later had a chat with another rep with same responses, but offered a repair service. But rep does not know what they are going to repair. I asked if there are any planned firmware updates to address this issue, but they are not aware of any. Here is the response link Sony rep sent.

I read several reviews, and in several forums, and it seems Video is a problem with this camera with overheating. Mine fared better than many, atleast able to capture 10min non-stop. I think in typical weather we should assume 10minute max video. May be another another 10 mins with another 10 mins break.
[...]

If anyone seeing different behavior and able to record for long, please let me know of any tips/tricks.

Rate and Discover Movies