on June 12, 2013
Great Gaming TV - Great TV for Anything!

I recently returned a Panasonic ST60 due to extreme lag while playing video games - and yes, I was obviously using "Game Mode" - It made little difference. You can verify this lag on YouTube video reviews.

I bought this TV based off a review I found online stating that the input lag was superior compared to other models - despite the 120HZ nature of the TV, which is supposed to INCREASE the lag, as can be seen by the external site, all comparable tvs are all 60HZ.

Regardless, this TV has great clear picture, and has exceptional lag that rivals computer monitors, allowing me, and you, to watch sports and play videogames without issues.

Please take the time to "Like" this review, as that will be my only "Payment" for trying to help!

Any questions, please ask away!

Kind Regards,

Jonathan Bobal - Piano Teacher - Hardcore Gamer
4545 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 12, 2013
Great Gaming TV - Great TV for Anything!

Any questions, please ask away!

Kind Regards,

Jonathan Bobal - Piano Teacher - Hardcore Gamer
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 10, 2013
This TV by far is the very best on the market. I am a TV buff and IT Doctor. I know TV's and computers very well. I also have a keen eye for detail and artifacts. This TV is very good 5 STARS. There are three major great brands of TVs in the world today and Sony is ranked high on the list. Sony beats Samsung in all areas. Please compare side by side Samsung is a cheaper made TV.
Sony uses good parts from Japan. Samsung does not. I picked on Samsung because they are direct competitors with Sony. I do have Samsung TV's, but the higher end ones. Still Sony beats color, gamut, features, sounds and looks.

The picture will blow you away. SIMPLY AMAZING!! BREATH TAKING!! The sound on this set is better than on most other TVs. The speakers are actually pointed in the front and not the rear like most LED TV's so you can hear the voices clearly. The base sounds great too.

The stand is very strong.
The Bezel is very thin, but strong and sturdy.

The black colors are very dark in detail like in a plasma display and in fact the greys are perfect. The whites are super white.

This is the way an HD panel should be.

I am glad that I researched this TV for weeks before I bought it.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 23, 2013
OK, first things first - this review might be a little biased, since I am a devoted fan of Sony LCD TVs. (though, I find my dedication well deserved). I'm not an expert, rather a regular consumer, however, for a couple of years now I had a chance to exmine a range of Sony KDL models of different lineups, so I decided to share my feelings about the newest one.

I recently tested a 47-inch KDL-47W802A which replaces a 2012 Sony KDL-46HX750 (which was a middle-shelf model, presumably the most popular one, giving an attractive quality-to-price ratio). Most likely the new one will gain similar popularity.

So to cut the stroy short:

LOOKS:

1. The TV itself is thinner and lighter compared to KDL-46HX750 model.

2. The sreen frames are thinner, so the TV looks cooler (still not as cool as the frameless Samsung).

3. The passive 3D glasses are lighter than the old ones and they give you a pair with the TV.

4. The stand looks nice, especially compared to the last-year bizzare half-stand / half-lousy-soundbar. If you want to put your screen on the wall, you don't feel like throwing your money away for the stand with built-in speakers.

5. They give you two remotes, a regular one and a small, basic-buttons one (with extra features - read below).

SOUND:

1. Forget about the built-in speakers and buy a decent speaker system (or a soundbar at least).

PICTURE:

1. Picture quality has not really changed for a couple of years now, which means it is still superb. The TV delivers live, bright, super-clear and sharp picture. In may opinion the best in the LCD segment. The only flaw with this particular model are the black levels, which are not as deep as you get in higher models - HX850, HX950 (or whatever they will be called this year) or as in Panasonic plasmas. In my opinion, this is the only real difference between this model and the higher ones. I am used to watch my HX900 (a 2010 model) and I really notice the difference in black deepness. Anyway, at least you know on what you save buying cheaper model.

2. KDL-47W802A has a X-Reality PRO engine, which KDL-47HX750 lacked. I don't see much difference, but my friend does, so you may count this as an improvement.

3. The 3D picture is absolutelly superb. It much depends on the content of course (some 3D blurays are unwatchable), but this year lineup delivers the best 3D you can probably get on the market. I watched the Avenegers and Prometheus and I was astonished. Almost no ghosting.

OTHER FEATURES:

1. The menu navigation is much simpler and user-friendly than with previous models.

2. The TV obviously has all the Netflixes, Hulus and Pandoras you need.

3. The smaller remote supposedly has this extra feature that when you put your smartphone on it, it reflects the smartphone screen on your TV display. I have not tested it yet, so I'm just highlighting that there is such a thing.

4. The other feature which I haven't yet tested (I will update this review when I do) is this double-view from different angles. This works with some PS3 games (or maybe other consoles as well) and allows two people to play games (for example car racing), watching simultaneously different scenes without dividing the screen. They must wear 3D glasses and watch from different angles in order to do it.

OVERALL

KDL-47W802A is overall a great TV, a top-class in its segment. I gave it 4 stars though, beacuse you can probably get comparable quality for a little less money. I also think that the black levels should've been deeper. Moreover, the new lineup is not a significant improvement over the previous-years models. On the other hand, however, the competition also doesn't offer any great improvements. So, if you want a really big change, wait until 4K gets cheaper. If the black levels are really important to you - buy a higher model or a Panasonic plasma.
2929 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 5, 2013
The design of this TV is fantastic. From the thin bezel to the subtle blue chamfer everything just works and it looks great hanging on my wall. In my opinion Sony has the best video/image processing available and it really shows with this TV. Motion is smooth, colors are accurate, and the TV allows you to tweak these settings to get it just right for you.

I do quite a bit of gaming on this TV and let me tell you from doing my pre-purchase research this is one of the best TVs available for gaming. It has the lowest input lag on the market. Meaning gaming input translates to the screen in record time and translates into a smoother more enjoyable gaming experience.

I highly recommend this TV.
on November 17, 2013
I purchased this TV for its exceptional input lag rating. As a gamer, I put off making the leap from CRT to HDTV for many years due to the fact that most HDTV's have terrible input lag that affects response time and lag. Then Sony released this model that was rated around .17ms of input lag, which is actually more in line with gaming monitors than it is with an HDTV. When I got it home and hooked it up I wasn't disappointed. I am hyper sensitive to input lag and I cannot feel ANY when playing Xbox on this TV. Its almost unbelievable. I only wish this TV had come out years ago. As far as the picture quality goes I was pleasantly surprised. The picture is sharp, vibrant and smooth. I really cannot think of one notable blemish at all. The only thing I can think of that isn't perfect is the sound, which isn't bad, just marginal (like most flat screens are these days). If you are thinking about buying this TV, don't hesitate. You will not be disappointed, especially if you are a gamer.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 6, 2013
At first i was really excited about this TV from all the great reviews for gamers. I had a decent samsung 42" and this was my replacement. I started playing twitch based games like BF4 and COD right after setting it up. At first there was a difference in the feel of the game. It felt weird to play due to the 120Hz and even the 1080P (both of which my samsung didnt have, 720P). Maybe it was just me getting used to it but after a couple days I loved the definition this TV brings. I'm not a TV expert, but I have played video games a large portion of my life (sadly) and this TV is truely worth every penny.

I have yet set up the TV with internet but I did try out the 3D features and WOW. just WOW. If this TV couldn't impress me more, it did with the 3D. Overall great buy. Highly reccomend this purchase for gaming, casual TV and movies.
on February 3, 2014
When it comes to the picture it depends on the source. I think this tv looks amazing I got the 55in $1400 almost a year since it was released in 2013. What people say about reflection is true but it doesn't bother me, I got it for movie "night." If I'm watching sports during the day it I'm not to focus on the blacks and stuff, I agree it could bit more blacker during the day but I don't know if that is a realistic expectation in a bright room. The viewing angle is pretty good, you may also rotate the screen a bit which is convient when I'm doing things in the kitchen. It's also great how seamless it is to go youtube. I know most tvs have youtube apps but I feel this tv beats them in the load time and navigation

I also want to mention the reason why I chosen this over the popular plasma from panasonic is input lag. I am a gamer and I have been over people houses with beautiful tv but the input lags make fighters and shooters almost unplayable. I didn't do thorough side by side comparison for pictures and you can't really compare tvs in store because they are all set to full blast, you gotta do it in a dark room. When people talk about blacks and colors they may be a bit to picky about it, this tv is beautiful. I read on cnet that this tv is decent, if this tv is decent I'm really curious how amazing looks like. I have a slight regret I could of went a little more for the KDL55-900A, my budget was around $1k so I was stretching it going for $1400.

Bottomline, reflection can be a bit annoying (just close your blinds, doesn't effect movie night), best tv for games (input lag), breathtaking picture IMO

Update

I just wanted to update how I still love this tv but now I can say it with confidence after viewing several tv shows and movies. I toyed around with the settings my only tip would be maybe backlight higher and adjust cinema color to normal instead of warm. Warm makes everything yellow.

Reflection is annoying! It's starting to get to me, me and my wife have a joke that we wave to each other at the start of a movie cause its a mirror. You gotta turn the lights off and cover the blinds behind you. Why did they do this? The refection takes into effect when watching dark movies during the day. Sports games work fine because they are bright already bright.

Blacks and colors on this tv is incredible. Pixar movies never looked better. The problem is the range with accordance to the black bar. If your watching a fullscreen movie your never going to notice anything. But during bright scenes the black bars don't hold because of screen dimming it raises the entire backlight to meet the colors. Thus when watching a bright movie the black bars stick out, this is a rare occurrence . I was putting in some of my older blu rays to test things out and the quality of image mostly depends on your source. So before you blame to the tv make sure your blu-ray picture rating is high.

3D is dumb, everyone says this and I have to agree it is really dumb. I think when they developed 3d technology they fail to realized when you got an amazing picture, it looks real. At 55 in, you feel like you can touch it. My wife says we aren't watching any horror movies on this tv. 3D gaming is dumb as well, it adds nothing and gives you headache.

Side note Picture In Picture is really slick - I can watch tv while I'm installing/downloading games on the ps3, also you can use your iphone as a keyboard to enter in data(tv side view).

I wish i can give this tv 4.5 stars, it's near perfection. I would spend a bit more to get the 900A for the slightly improved picture. The only tv for gamers and with reflection, close the blinds behind you!
on January 17, 2014
Today I returned a brand new $1300 Samsung UN46F7100AFXZA TV to Best Buy after my wife and I had spent more than an hour tweaking every possible setting to try to make the picture acceptable. It proved to be impossible to get the Samsung's picture to look as good as that of a 5-year-old Panasonic HD TV located nearby, which was connected to the same DISH feed. I then bought this Sony 47-inch TV, and the picture is gorgeous, at least as good as that of the old Panasonic, right out of the box, with no tweaking required.
Yes, we had to give up on our idea of accessing Internet content easily with this TV - even the salesman at the Sony store admitted that the Internet experience is slow and frustrating. However, like most people, we use our TV primarily to watch TV, DVD's and streaming video. If a TV can't provide a top-notch viewing experience for that kind of content, what's the point of buying it?
It seems that Sony is still far ahead of the competition in its ability to design a TV screen with just the right colors, light, contrast, sharpness and so forth.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 4, 2014
Excellent quality, and sturdy. The Sony KDL-55W802A has an excellent picture. It is obvious the TV was designed for high definition. I initially has some distortion when I turned on the TV. Once the satellite company installed the HD service the picture was perfect. Recommend with HD service for best performance.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...